This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Svend

I wish I understood this conversation! :( What do you say Razz - is the PICP course worth attending? Also, how do the coach/teacher/whatever respond to your/our approach to training? :)

Joshua Naterman
omegant said:
What is that trap3? Is similar to a cuban press? Is for external rotators balance?

So pretty much every muscle is divided up into multiple sacs of fibers. In the traps, there are technically 4 divisions but 3 and 4 typically get referred to as just 3. Anyways, the fibers going from your neck to your shoulderblade are division 1. Div 2 is horizontal fibers for the most part, and division 3 AKA Trap-3 is the lower fibers that begin to go downwards.

Razz

1) PICP is definately worth it, whether it's because you want more results with yourself or your clients.

2)

omegant said:
What is that trap3? Is similar to a cuban press? Is for external rotators balance?

the exercise is sort of like a front raise 45 degrees to the side, while leaning about 30-40 degrees forward

3) sliz, yep sounds like you're doing it right. 30-40 deg forward lean, 45 degrees to the side, thump up, ROM should go beyond your ear seen from the side

Joshua Naterman

I do NOT have that rom. I physically can not do that, even with empty arms lol! I know, I know, I need to go get ART done. I just haven't. :lol: It's really holding me back, too.

Edit: I DO get up past parallel with the ground, but not by much.

Razz

Yeah most people don't have that ROM. Maybe work other variations where you have the full ROM, along with ART, until you can do full ROM in this version too.

Alvaro

There is a similar prehab exercise coach taught at the seminar but standing not leaning, isn´t it? I can do it no problem but feel some cracking at the right shoulder, I´ll look for a massage!

Razz

Yes it's similar, they have different overload points on the strength curve and thus all variations should be used.

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Yeah most people don't have that ROM. Maybe work other variations where you have the full ROM, along with ART, until you can do full ROM in this version too.

Gotcha. My biggest issue with my right side is that I feel the scapula getting pulled out of depression as I go through the ROM. It takes active effort on my part, and sometimes I can't do it. It almost feels like inhibition. This is one of the main reasons I think I will really benefit from the ART. Based on what you've learned so far, what do you think about that?

Razz

Yeah that sounds right, most people can't keep their scapulas depressed while going through that ROM. Almost everyone is inhibited in their trap 3 and has overactive trap 1s. A good thing do do is inhibit your trap 1 through stretching/massage whatever, and then do trap-3 activation afterwards.

Joshua Naterman

That's really smart. I am pretty good about not using upper traps, but I'm going to give that a shot. I'll let you know how that goes.

I have had longstanding issues with external rotation as well on the right. Like, strength is good but actual activation takes too much concentration. All this stuff happens automatically on the left.

Razz

Improper scapular movement and neck alignment can also inhibit external rotation so yet another reason to do a shitload of mobility and be structurally balanced :D

AlexX
Razz said:
1) PICP is definately worth it, whether it's because you want more results with yourself or your clients.

2)

omegant said:
What is that trap3? Is similar to a cuban press? Is for external rotators balance?

the exercise is sort of like a front raise 45 degrees to the side, while leaning about 30-40 degrees forward

3) sliz, yep sounds like you're doing it right. 30-40 deg forward lean, 45 degrees to the side, thump up, ROM should go beyond your ear seen from the side

Are you just describing a prone trap raise? Except instead of using a bench you angle your body 30-40 degrees?

Razz, Slizz do you guys actually feel the infaspinatus and the teres working on external rotations?

Razz

Alex yeah a prone trap 3 raise just leaning your head on a bench, not the whole body :D

Yeah I clearly feel the external rotators working, although my right arm has a much better mind-muscle connection. It does also have better posture though.

Razz

Fat gripz arrived today! Damn fat grip curls give a heck of an arm workout. Can't wait to apply these to all my gymnastics work.

Joshua Naterman

Thick bar curls for the win!

Svend
Razz said:
Fat gripz arrived today! Damn fat grip curls give a heck of an arm workout. Can't wait to apply these to all my gymnastics work.

Nice! :) How are you going to apply fat grip work to your training? Will you simply do every exercise with them or are you going to do seperate fat grip exercises? I suppose they don't fit the rings?

Razz

I'm gonna use them for most exercises, they fit on the rings ok, not perfect but should be good enough. Damn I can imagine how hard a fat grip cross must be, no real chance of a false grip there.

Christian Sørlie
Razz said:
Yeah that sounds right, most people can't keep their scapulas depressed while going through that ROM.

My scaps are depressed because of the low amount of weight they can handle :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :roll:

Razz
Christian said:
Razz said:
Yeah that sounds right, most people can't keep their scapulas depressed while going through that ROM.

My scaps are depressed because of the low amount of weight they can handle :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :roll:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Donar said:
Razz said:
I'm gonna use them for most exercises, they fit on the rings ok, not perfect but should be good enough. Damn I can imagine how hard a fat grip cross must be, no real chance of a false grip there.

Here's my low-tech solution :D

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/photoon20 ... t1706.jpg/

I guess one could buy thick grip rings, too. Those are pretty cool.

Torque Athletic carries them:

http://torqueathletic.com/products/1-25-olympic-rings

Awesome :P I'm not bothered to buy thick grip rings as long as the fatgripz fit them decently. Then I can use them on competition rings too :D

Razz

I've gotten some infection sorta thing in my foot which sucks as I'm supposed to compete in 1 week. Oh well then it will just be pommel and rings if it doesn't heal.

Joshua Naterman

Yikes!!! Vinegar soaks might help. Vinegar kills an awful lot of infection due to the high acidity (especially fungi), and of course super-saturated salt water may do a lot of good as well. Good luck with that foot!

Razz
slizzardman said:
Yikes!!! Vinegar soaks might help. Vinegar kills an awful lot of infection due to the high acidity (especially fungi), and of course super-saturated salt water may do a lot of good as well. Good luck with that foot!

Thanks for the tips! I'm definately doing that tonight until a doctor sees it tomorrow :P Gotta admit I'm not a big fan of regular doctors but this may be one case where I like them :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

Yea, you have to get that taken care of right away. The doctor will be able to test what kind of infection it is, and give you the right stuff. If it's bacterial you have to treat it right away with antibiotics, as much as that sucks for your gut. Heat helps, so if you can keep the infected area clean and warm( like 90 degrees, as opposed to the much lower normal temperature) that should help as well. Simple solutions I use for things like that are heat lamps, the infrared penetrates quite far and heats up the entire area so that the body can heal faster.

Razz

Yeah fucking hell it's the antibiotics that I know the doctor will prescribe that worries me..then again my poliquin probiotics are arriving in 1 or 2 days :D I'm hoping to get something local but we will see. Thanks for the tips once again, who knows, maybe I won't have to go if I can heal it overnight :mrgreen: