This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Razz

Todays training

13:00

3 rounds

3 l-sit wide grip pullups

3x80kg bench

very weak today so scaled the volume down a lot, having bench on opposite days of iron cross does not work.

bunch of internal/external rotation

3 rounds reverse curls and 15kg plate pinches, with a PR in the plate pinches! :D

This was followed immediately by 1h15min gymnastics with university.

16:30

½ hour SMR

No evening workout today, seriously knackered, will stay home and read. Probably do some press HS.

EDIT: forgot to mention I also did some calf raises, tibialis raises and VMO work earlier.

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Thanks for the advice Sliz! I'll drop reps to 2. I think I'll do one cycle of deadlifts and then switch to the single leg version. Don't know if we have heavy enough dumbbells at the place I train though, we probably do as I guess I'm terribly weak in the single leg one :lol:

You never know! I started out with 150 lbs, which is quite a bit less than half my deadlift, even assuming only a 450 lb deadlift (which is probably a fair assumtion for starting since that's where my deadlift stays when I don't train it). Now I'm closer, but 200 lbs is still a bit difficult to do with great form. It's getting better though. I will be surprised if you aren't at least using 50 lb dumbbells fairly quickly.

Alvaro
slizzardman said:
and the shape of your butt (if you care about such things),

He performs his Handstands naked at night so he should care about that! :D

Razz
omegant said:
slizzardman said:
and the shape of your butt (if you care about such things),

He performs his Handstands naked at night so he should care about that! :D

HAHAHA that wasn't me! :P but I have had friends do that so who knows, maybe I should just be prepared :mrgreen:

Razz

Todays training

12:30

2 hours trampoline

3 rounds

7s top OAC hold

5x40kg military press

some body levers

work capacity is going down and I'm completely fried. Good this 2x day stuff is soon over for one week!

19:00

pbar swings and kips

ring swings, kips, front and backuprises, handstands, BLs and 1 cross. Feeling more and more powerful on rings but the strength for cross wasn't really there today. That's okay though, only just starting to reincorporate them.

3 rounds in pulley

15s cross, press to 15s inverted cross, lower to 15s cross

some planche, FL stuff and some shrugs. Now a cheatmeal of EPIC proportions..like 2-300g carbs. Probably a bit overkill but damn it's been a while and I've basically had 0 carbs these past 2 weeks except for that bit of candy last weekend.

Razz

4pm:

3 rounds

3 rep shrimp intermediate

vastus lateralis SMR

6pm:

practice for dive roll with full twist

1 round pushing and 1 round pulling but had no strength whatsoever. Rest (with lots of SMR and other prehab stuff) tomorrow and sunday. Then I'll be ready for some intensity next week!

Joshua Naterman

Nice! How was your cheat meal?

Razz

Cheatmeal:

300g winegums

100g chocolate (not dark)

2/3L chocolate milk

1 dairy/chocolate fudge bar thingie

Took magnesium, fish oil and ALA during the cheatmeal. Had no sugar crash at all which is quite interesting. Guess two weeks of being ketogenic helped my glucose tolerance a lot! Can't wait for next cheatmeal :lol: Once I get a bit leaner I can have cheatdays...wohooo :D

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Good lord, you sure made some shop owner happy!

I know what you mean, the four or five months I spent having almost no carbs seems to have completely reset my insulin sensitivity, which is absolutely fantastic now.

Razz

Yeah, but you know what? I had 150g more of chocolate that I unwillingly threw out when I had to stop the cheatmeal due to being full. :lol: Didn't want to store the chocolate as I knew I'd end up eating it when not supposed too :P Damn it was good though! :D

Razz

Had a chill weekend regarding workouts. Still was physically active coaching people both days. Felt really weak today even after 2 days off. Maybe the 2 weeks of twice a day killed me, but I think my general stress levels are a bit high too. Anyways, comeback tomorrow!

Todays workout:

ESD: 15 minutes wide grip MU, reps 3-5

total:17

5 sets of

10s negative assisted l-OAC

4 sets

3 chest roll to HS

Schedule for the next two weeks are like this:

day 1:bent arm

day 2:straight arm

day 3:legs

Bent arm will be: ESD with MU, ESD negative OAC superset with chest roll to HS, reverse curls superset with one arm shrugs

Straight arm: Cross+assistance work. PL and FL + assistance work.

Legs will be switching between dynamic stuff and max strength (DL for max strength)

Razz

Todays training

Rings:

some hollowback presses, was tough in the HSPU part.

Some kip to support and kip to l-sit attempts.

Double back dismount practice. Got quite a bit better. Will land it on a hard mattress soon hopefully.

Floor:

Round off-->backflick-->layout practice. Good power when I got my legs warmed up properly.

Strength:

5x[3-5s iron cross or l-cross + 2x straddle press+ 2x straddle-l press to box] presses were on parallettes.

3x[straddle planchish attempts from l-sit or HS + 3x negative front pulls]

3x[3x incline bench cross pulls + 3x3s planche with bands+ 3x3s tuck FL scap pulls]

Razz

Todays training

Deadlift:

Filmed and saw my technique was good so decided to go heavier. I realized I've been slacking on my DL!!

worked up to

2x130kg [cluster]

1x130kg [grip=weak link]

Guess my new goal is 2.5xbw, seeing as I can probably do 140kg which is 2xbw already....

all supersettet with tibialis toe raises

3 rounds

smith machine calf raises +peterson step ups

My body is screaming for twice a day workouts again. This once a day stuff doesn't feel like enough anymore. Will up for two weeks from next week again. Also going to experiment with a large amount of supps when upping work capacity. Will try to do the impossible and gain mass and lose fat at the same time :lol:

Alex Dienaar

Nice man! What's the rep scheme on the Petersons/calf raises ? And watch out with what you call cluster, at PICP level 1 they will yell at you haha.

I'll be on skype tomorrow, hope to catch you then ^^

Razz

Haha alright, think I got the cluster from Poliquins book though, but maybe I used the wrong term :P

I'm still embarrased that I was deadlifting 100kg and thinking it was max :S

EDIT: rep scheme on calf: 8-12 [1113]

peterson: 8-12 [3110]

Razz

Todays training

pommel horse:

my routine is now easy and I'm starting to feel the mushroom circles better despite little pommel training. I've decided I wanna put a bit more time into this to get my basic circles up a notch.

Vault:

Good power..not much more to say.

Strength:

ESD 15 mins wide grip MU

22 reps

3 rounds

OAC assisted negative 10s + 3 chest roll to HS

2 rounds hanging scap pulls 1 arm

1 round high rep reverse curls for my poor elbows.

Daniel Jorgensen
Razz said:
The old injury happened something like 6-7-8-9 years ago when I did a standing back flip into a landing pit and had a bad landing bending over backwards. Couldn't walk by myself when that happened for the next ~10 minutes. The injury can come back any time I push too hard or forget to do lots of lower back strength (which I have not been doing lately).

This morning I have been doing SMR with a cricket ball on my hips and back and it has certainly helped. I have learned from experience earlier that some of the pain does come from too tight hips. I'm very flexible and can do all splits, almost perfect bridge, (completely straight back, but shoulders are not as open as they should be) but only recently started doing stuff like idos squat routine and hip stuff from the seminar.

All in all: yes it seems like what you are saying can be the cause of the pain, my hip mobility may be worse than my lower back mobility. Oh just while writing now I remember that it most likely came back this time because I did the stretch where you sit in a straddle and bend sidewards and grab your toe with the opposite arm. I did it way more brutal than usual and I believe it is one of the reasons it was aggravated this time. Of course overall it is all the things together: weak lower back, hip mobility and me not being careful with my stretching.

Thanks Slizzardman :)

Sounds a bit like a facet joint locked up resulting in nerve impingement and muscle tension in the area. SMR can ease the muscle tension but not unlock the locked joint. Maybe it will unlock it self or see a chiropractisioner.

Having watched Mike Boyles Strength Coach vol. 3 dvd I can only agree with Slizz: In the above stretching position your hips are freakin tight because everything it pretty much stretch to the max. Then when leaning to the side, your lumbar spine compensades and wupti - there your have it :(

As soon as you've had back troubles once, you will always be more likely to suffer from the same or new back troubles again. Be aware of the risks - so be carefull when performing max DL - and yea as Slizz recommend: Try SLSLDL (stiff leg single leg deadlift :lol::lol: )

On another note:

When you do front and back uprises in still rings - do you feel it's mostly a question of lat strength or more about getting the right momentum? (well, guess it's both - but if you could only choose one? :lol: )

And why is everyone eating magnesium something? :o :?:

(smileys on parade)

Razz

1) The back pain is long gone again, fortunately. Now I just have to strengthen my back more with DLs and certainly SLSLDL in ~2 weeks time aswell!

2) It's no strength, all timing.

3) Magnesium to lower cortisol and improve insulin sensitivity.

Daniel Jorgensen
Razz said:

2) It's no strength, all timing.

3) Magnesium to lower cortisol and improve insulin sensitivity.

2: I will pratice more swings then :)

3: Any "special magnesium" or just something like ZMA?

Razz

Hmm I'm not into each specifics magnesiums function, but each type seems to bind to different tissue preferentially and thus a mix would be preferred. ZMA is legit, no doubt. Other than ZMA you may wanna try a blend of different magnesium chelates. Robb Wolf recommends magnesium citrate but that stuff seems to give me diarrhea at very low doses compared to other magnesium products.

Razz

Alrighty started a new cycle of twice a day workouts along with a new nutrition protocol focusing on gut repair (Hopefully will fix my asthma!) and cortisol modulation due to the high volume of activity.

It's basically a 2 week accumulation phase of 6 days a week bent arm/straight arm/legs/repeat

Will post later today with the entire days work.

Razz

Todays workouts and other activities:

8 am:

divingboard practice (for school project) followed by sauna and cold plunges

10:30am

20g BCAA

3 rounds

6 Wide grip pullups

12 Wide grip body rows, feet on floor but knees at 90 degree angle to make it a bit easier

25 reverse curls

3 rounds

6 overhead DB press

12 Incline bench press

25 lying tricep extension

think i used 17.5 or 22.5kg for the DB stuff, can't remember. Anyways I know I'll have to increase it more next time, overhead was too easy but bench was perfectly brutal.

1 round

10 HLL

10 hypers with 15kg

silly me. This lactate high rep stuff killed me, shouldve done 3-5 rounds of HLL and hypers.

11:00 am

½ hour trampoline

11.30 am

1h15 min lesson in ball games..pretty much 1h15m of interval training..

2 pm

1h nap

4.30pm

coaching 1½ hour

6-9pm

bit of floor practice but someone else had to use the tumbletrack.

Pommel horse.. practiced for 1 hour, just tried to improve my crappy form on mushroom circles and played with some scissors.

Strength

5 rounds

5 tuck PL PU

5 tuck FL Pullup

not the best form on PL PU, but gotta learn it somehow. You can call it a mechanical advantage PL PU with a concentric lean forward dip for the most part..

3 rounds

feet supported and elevated 30s negative from bent arm PL to BL

6-8 HeSPU

Razz

Only 1 workout today as I thought I had my gym clothes in my schoolbag but apparently did not. This sucks but I'll survive.

6pm-9.30pm

Warmup etc.

Floor practice

worked salto combinations, front layouts, front full twists and front handsprings

vault

worked on technique for tsukahara. Once the technique is down I'll manage a straight tsuk.

Strength

5 rounds in pulley system

straight arm pullup to planche :arrow: lower to maltese :arrow: press through support to inverted cross :arrow: lower to inv hang :arrow: Azarian to cross :arrow: 3 cross pullouts

EDIT: each hold was 10s

some prehab stuff and ½ hour SMR

Razz

Todays workouts

#1

15 min ESD SLSLDL 1-3 reps

31 repsx28kg

Jumping squats with 20%bw (~20kg)

5x12

Peterson step up [3010]

5x8x10kg

#2

7 rounds

12m senders

sprint back 12m

repeat 2 more times but without the sprint in the last round.

some ring swings practicing giants and front uprise with straight arms.

Note: Rhodiola rosea and phosphatidylserine works like a frikkin miracle. Together with some taurine and magnesium...

Razz

Yesterdays workout, after a night of good but extremely short sleep (5-6h)

Morning

3 rounds

6 wide grip pullups

12 body rows

25 reverse curls

3 rounds

6 seated DB overhed press 17.5kg

12 DB incline press 17.5kg

25 EZ bar tricep extension

Evening

5 rounds

5 tuck PL PU (mechanical advantage on some reps)

5 tuck FL Pullup, parallel grip

completely forgot the eccentric curls and HeSPU, which I of course did today to

Todays workouts

13:00

3 rounds

20s tuck PL

20s tuck FL

5 or 6 rounds

internal rotation in cross position

external rotation in cross position

4 or 5 rounds trap-3 lift, was gonna do 8 but form started degrading.

18:30

5 rounds

straight arm pull to planche :arrow: lower to maltese :arrow: press through HS to inv cross :arrow: lower to hang :arrow: azarian cross :arrow: 3 cross pulls

each hold 10s except the inv hang :D

5 rounds

30s eccentric curl from bent arm support to BL, feet elevated

6 HeSPU