This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Razz

Todays awesome training powered by chocolate milk and carb binging. Gotta scale down the carbs again but don't mind some chocolate milk around the workout once in a while.

After I had finished my exam I went to the one place where I work to do yesterdays workout. When I arrived I decided that would be too much if I also had to set PRs in max pressing today. Did the following instead:

Trampoline..now sticking 1½ twists and doing some decent double twists forward. Also sticking full twists backwards easily. yay :D

2 rounds seated external rotation. 10 reps with 5kg=PR

2 rounds body levers: 7 (PR I think) and a cluster set in which I don't remember reps.

3 sets EZ bar reverse curls

some hanging shrugs. Getting much better at these!

aaaaaaand some more trampoline

then bought 2L chocolate milk, drank one liter and drove to the other gym to do:

warmup including FSP, feeling way better!!

Dips[31X0]

3x5x24kg PR, could probably squeeze out 1-2 more reps in the last set for a real 10s grinder.

XR bulgarian HSPU

3x3 first 2 without assistance now! :D freestanding coming up!

PL pushup tuck [1111]

3x3

then floor training where I felt damn motivated!

5x dive roll

5x one step front flip

5x standing back tuck

5x front flip-->front flip

5x front layout muuuuuuuuch better!

then on to tumble track

handspring front flips

handspring front layouts..not so good..

then springboard into soft mat:

1½ twists, good!!

1 double twist..not so good :lol:

elbows are better and back is better and wrist is better..everything is good :D

Razz

Today another training super powered by chocolate milk

Pullup [31X1]

5x3x22½kg PR

Straddle crank

3x5

these absolutely destroy my rear delts

Then ring swings with straps to prepare for ring giants. Was not bad, getting the feeling of pressing the rings a bit, now just need the right timing.

Then floor warmup and floor work. Didn't feel so powerful in my legs so did some technique work on the tumble track. Basically just practicing full twists which went pretty well.

Cuban press [4020]

2x5x20kg think this might be a PR with this tempo

then some weighted dislocations with a small bar.. prob 5-10kg

Ah it's so good that pretty much nothing is hurting at the moment.. getting a bit fat from the chocolate milk and stressed from working all day long and then training afterwards but I earn some damn good money that I can use for seminars n stuff so it's worth it. It's just this week because it's holiday from school. Anyways my point is just that to minimize damage I'm in a calorie sufficit and don't really give a crap about the carbs as I just wanna perform and still bang out PRs this week.

Razz

half volume today, tired and time pressed from work. No FSP warmup or anything, just a quick warmup and then the below:

2 rounds

5 swinging dips to planche +7 swinging dips in front

3 planche leans [35X0]

5 kipping HeSPU

worse swinging dips but better HeSPU than last time

Razz

So I had 2 weeks on one program where I missed 2 workouts the 2nd week due to a crapload of work.

For the last program I was using 4x15s FSP holds, will up to 3x20 for the next 2 weeks. Cross holds with weights I'll up from 30-40kg as there was no pain and I'll start some rings stuff again.

M: Dynamic pull+ dynamic legs and floor training

T: CPP (rings) also pommel, floor and ring training

We: Max Press + ring training

Th: Max pull, high bar, pbar and vault training

Fr: Dyn press+dynamic legs and floor training

Sat: CPP (rings) and ring training

Razz

Todays rather long training

4 rounds

3m hopping rope climb

10 explosive bulgarian rows

5 front pulls (tuck) [30X1] (thick bar)

Then a little break with some stretching of my swollen forearms, followed by warmup for floor.

Tumbletrack:

5x 1 step--> front flip

3x standing back tuck

5x round off-->back tuck

3x1 backhandspring

2x2 BHS

1x3 BHS

5x RO-->BHS-->back tuck

5-10x 1½ front flip onto soft mat

5-10x 1½ twist from springboard onto soft mat

On the real floor:

5x3 rounds of 12m senders

quite brutal.

Razz

Todays training

Ring swings with straps, learned inlocates over the rings so that's a small improvement

3 rounds

2x back roll to support attempt +muscle up if failed-->15s support-->press to 5s shoulderstand-->HSPU to 5s strap HS-->negative reverse MU-->5s tuck FL-->5s tuck BL-->2 inverted curls

3x30s XR support

4x15sx40kg cross in simulator

3x10sx40kg maltese in simulator

some shrugs with manual resistance and some l-sit shrugs.

Some dislocations weighted and unweighted.

Razz

Today I did something really stupid: I helped a friend move some stuff to his grandparents house and they served some cake and chocolate candy. I ate a shitload of cake. Then I felt really sick, it made my workout crap and now I'm sitting here feeling sick. Never again. This is probably one of the worst responses I've ever had to desserts/gluten/wtv it is. Probably because my diet is generally better than ever at the moment. Tomorrow going to Helsinki for the Ido Portal workshop. I will most likely write up stuff every day over there as I'll have internet.

Todays workout:

warmup..FSP feeling much better already, even though it's only the 3rd workout with 3x20s.

some floor practice but had no airsense. Did get some full twists though. Also almost 3 front flips in a row on first attempt so wasn't a wasted workout :)

Strength:

XR Bulgarian pushup[1111]

3x5+35kg (½bw)

HSPU freestanding. Not quite full ROM but something in between HeSPU and HSPU.

3x2+1 with kip

Sometimes the first 2 were perfect, I believe I did 3 in a row on second set but with a slight kip. The other 2 sets I had to pause for a bit between #2 and #3

Korean dip with undergrip [12X0]

3x5ish

sometimes I couldnt get my ass around the bar on the last rep.

pogo69
Razz said:
Today I did something really stupid: I helped a friend move some stuff to his grandparents house and they served some cake and chocolate candy. I ate a shitload of cake. Then I felt really sick, it made my workout crap and now I'm sitting here feeling sick. Never again. This is probably one of the worst responses I've ever had to desserts/gluten/wtv it is. Probably because my diet is generally better than ever at the moment.

I feel your pain, razz. I've been mostly pretty good with most of my diet for a while now too, but I baked a big batch of very dark chocolate brownies on the weekend. So I've been paying the price of my gluttony all week as I've attempted to make them disappear... they're all gone now, thank goodness!!

I suspect it has been the source of my morning lethargy all week.

Razz
pogo69 said:
Razz said:
Today I did something really stupid: I helped a friend move some stuff to his grandparents house and they served some cake and chocolate candy. I ate a shitload of cake. Then I felt really sick, it made my workout crap and now I'm sitting here feeling sick. Never again. This is probably one of the worst responses I've ever had to desserts/gluten/wtv it is. Probably because my diet is generally better than ever at the moment.

I feel your pain, razz. I've been mostly pretty good with most of my diet for a while now too, but I baked a big batch of very dark chocolate brownies on the weekend. So I've been paying the price of my gluttony all week as I've attempted to make them disappear... they're all gone now, thank goodness!!

I suspect it has been the source of my morning lethargy all week.

:lol: It's hard sometimes :P

Walked about 10km around Helsinki today. Me and Søren met up with Christian. Hopefully will see other forum members at the Ido seminar tonight. Hotel has a very good 'paleo' breakfast so I just ate a shitload there (like 300g salmon, 6-7 eggs with bacon and shitloads of berries and veggies..all with tea and a double espresso) and then I bought some cacao nips, berries, fish oil and brazil nuts for an afternoon snack. Then a prot shake after training and thats my Finland diet :D

Razz

Ido seminar already worth the money after the first session. 2 sessions today hopefully with some more hard work :D

Tarun Suri

Can't wait to hear about it further Razz.

Razz

I'll post an Ido seminar review soon.

Today some straight arm work..mostly just playing with stuff, felt quite weak.

10 press from l to stand followed by press to HS followed by 5s full lay back lever. scaps retracted.

some PL stuff.. weak!!

some FL stuff..also kinda weak.

shruugssssssss

3 sets PL shrugs with band

3 sets pushup shrugs with partner on back

3 sets l-sit shrug feet supported +40kg

3 sets arching hanging shrugs

3 sets 1arm hanging shrugs

Razz

I'm being aggresive on my training now. Fish oil every single frikkin meal, no goddamn dairy, grains legumes. BCAA pre workout (yes, also fish oil here as it's sometimes 10-30 min pre WO). Cyclic low carb twice a day training. Time to get lean and strong, shall be exciting to see progress and possible overreaching...

13:00

15 minutes

1-3 wide grip-L pullups [3111] total reps: 22

Alternated with

80kg bench press [21X1] total reps: 19 (did one more set of pullups in the beginning)

10 minutes

Standing internal rotation at hip with 9kg. 8,8,8,8,6

alternated with

standing external rotation at hip with 18kg. 8,8,8,8,6

5 sets reverse curls superset with 15kg plate pinches

1x5 body lever

then 1h 15 min gymnastics with university. Included some tumbling and sprints today so was quite tough.

16:30-18:30

coaching

18:30

lots of mobility as warmup

started floor but legs were completely fucked from earlier, more than I had expected. Decided to put a springboard and work some technique instead. Some 1½ twists. Also made a 1½ twist to standing on the tumbletrack, so that's a new move there :D

3 rounds

10s spotted planche pushing for more lean angle and scap protraction.

3 straddle front pulls, focus is on scap retraction

some malteses, crosses, butterfly pullups in the pulley system. Elbows are feeling good again!

Razz

Yesterday:

AM:

can't really remember but it included something like this:

3-5 rounds of

10s top OAC chin hold

3x40kg military press

3 rounds internal rotation in cross position

3 rounds shrugs with cables

1 round body levers

some prehab

PM:

some high bar

some pommel horse..better scissors but circles were crap. No wonder as I haven't done it in ages

some rings where I tried some unspotted crosses. Not so bad but not strong enough to hold it.

3 rounds

10s spotted PL

10s spotted FL

2 rounds pulley system

1 round weighted scap pushups & 1 arm hanging shrugs.

Razz

AM:

15 minutes

L-sit wide grip pullup, total reps: 24

80kg bench, total reps: 24

next time I'll do 85kg bench. Also I think I had slightly more than 15 minutes last time where as this time it was exactly 15 but still 1 more rep!

cable external rotation at hip

6x8x9kg

2x6x9kg

alternated with:

Cable internal rotation at hip

4x8x18kg

2x6x18kg

3 rounds reverse curl and 15kg plate pinches

PM:

ring swings, almost made my first giant but then also strained my pec. Kinda ruined my mood so I did some strength and then some SMR.

2-3 spotted planches, 2-3x2-3s straddle planche alone

3-4 rounds of planche lean + 4 straddle front pulls to FL position

3 rounds

scap pushup with partner on back, 3 reps each time, this guy was 10kg heavier than the usual guy

7 hanging one arm scap pulls. Much better.

SMR.

Razz

Todays training:

14:00

3 rounds

7s OAC top hold

5 reps 40kg military press

bunch of cross and inverted cross straight arm internal/external rotations

some body levers

19:30

5 rounds alternating:

4-5 cross pullouts with a 3s hold on ~45deg bench

15s inverted cross in pulley system

some cross rotations with 20kg in rings simulator

5 rounds

7s adv tuck PL

7-9s adv tuck FL

3 rounds

7 One arm shrugs

7 PL lean scap pushups

Razz

08:00

diving board

sauna and ice bath

10:00

2½ hours trampoline

13:00

3 rounds alternating

80kg bench: 7(PR?),3,3

3 l-sit wide grip pullups

3 rounds alternating

9kg external rotation: 8,8,8

18kg internal rotation: 8,8,8

3 rounds alternating:

15-17kg EZ reverse curl, slow tempo:5,5,5

15kg plate pinch:20s(PR),15s,15s

some PRs in this intense but half volume workout.

16:30

coaching

18:00

attempt to train but failed..... did ~15 press HS and then called it quits. Need some frikkin sleep!

Longshanks
Razz said:

9kg external rotation: 8,8,8

18kg internal rotation: 8,8,8

Was the external rotation resistance for both arms or just one? I'm starting to see small improvements in my shoulder health finally buy just doing the external rotation part of a cuban press with bands. I know Ido says to aim for 1/2BW cuban press but what level of strength would you say you were at when you were able to return to overhead work such as handstands? I'm currently still on the easiest yellow band that I tested at 1.25kg to move it through my ROM for one arm. I'm guessing I'll probably have to work up to 4-5kg per arm or approx 10% BW with both arms (102kg BW). Does that sound about right?

Razz
Longshanks said:
Razz said:

9kg external rotation: 8,8,8

18kg internal rotation: 8,8,8

Was the external rotation resistance for both arms or just one? I'm starting to see small improvements in my shoulder health finally buy just doing the external rotation part of a cuban press with bands. I know Ido says to aim for 1/2BW cuban press but what level of strength would you say you were at when you were able to return to overhead work such as handstands? I'm currently still on the easiest yellow band that I tested at 1.25kg to move it through my ROM for one arm. I'm guessing I'll probably have to work up to 4-5kg per arm or approx 10% BW with both arms (102kg BW). Does that sound about right?

This is for one arm with a cable pulley at hip height. Cuban press I can right now do about 5x20kg at 72kg bw at a very slow tempo. If by returning to overhead work you mean after my shoulder operation, it wasn't any big amount of strength. The tissue just healed and I did some support holds for a month or so and then I started wall handstands. I had also done a lot of shoulder stablization stuff but just with very light weights. We did some cuban style band stuff at physio though which was definately more than 1.25kg and kep in mind you're 1.5x my bw so there might be a little way to go still :)

So without being able to give you a specific answer, you should definately be able to take a 5-10kg ball and do overhead circles without pain before you even think of doing any handstand work. Also what kind of work are you doing for your scapular muscles? If your upper back is completely immobile and weak your shoulders will be too.

Longshanks

I'm now doing the cuban rotations, ring rows, press-ups and lots of flexibility work. You are right though, one of my previous mistakes was doing pull-up work rather than rows which didn't target other upper scapular muscles at all. You're Cuban press is about 25% BW so I'm guessing I need to get to at least 10-15% before chancing any handstands. Progress is painfully slow for me so i think I can see that taking a good year or so at least (I can only increase about 1rep per set about every two-three weeks ATM). I'm currently being referred to a consultant shoulder specialist in the next few months finally, so hopefully he'll decide to operate and I'll have your recovery success.

Razz

Keep in mind I only got the operation to be able to do gymnastics and ballistic/explosive movements. If you intend to only get strong and not do crazy tumbling then slow rehab may just be your way out of it. Operation means another year of sloooow progress, so if you feel that it might get better without an operation I'd definately do that. Anyways shoulders are so complex and as seen with Gregor even performing the right exercises but maybe not activating the right muscles can make a world of difference. Sounds like you are going in the right direction though!

Longshanks
Razz said:
Keep in mind I only got the operation to be able to do gymnastics and ballistic/explosive movements. If you intend to only get strong and not do crazy tumbling then slow rehab may just be your way out of it. Operation means another year of sloooow progress, so if you feel that it might get better without an operation I'd definately do that. Anyways shoulders are so complex and as seen with Gregor even performing the right exercises but maybe not activating the right muscles can make a world of difference. Sounds like you are going in the right direction though!

Thanks for the heads up Razz. I'll bare all this is mind. With the NHS though it may be another 6 months before I even get seen and possibly the same again before my shoulder gets to see a knife so I'll probably be nearly better by then if it keeps improving hopefully. If not then there's the op. My aim is to return to my MMA though eventually and there are a lot of explosive movements involved, so I'm guessing I'll have to get my joints very resistant to injury before I return to it.

Razz

11:00

Deadlift

3x3x100kg

Had to start some form of maximal leg strength sooner or later. Figured deadlift was the thing to go for. Want that 2xbw!

5 rounds

7s OAC top hold

5x40kg military press

volume PR.

Some rest pause sets in body levers, was brutal!

high rep tricep extensions with all kinds of grips..felt good :D

18:00

actually had a team training today so we did the regular warmup with parrallettes series and such.

Phorse:

practiced the full routine and it went ok.

Floor:

some front full twists and practice for RO-->back ½-->front ½. Hurt my knee once because I stretched my legs too early in the attempted front ½ and landed in a twisted overstretched position. Nothing major though, will be cool in a day or two.

Rings:

Held 3 crosses and at least 2 of them were recognized. The last one wasn't long enough. This felt really strong today.'

No swings because my chest still hurts a little bit from a few days ago trying to do giants.

Strength:

5 rounds

7s adv tuck PL

4 straddle front pulls

3 rounds

20kg cross rotations with 5s holds in internal and externally rotated position.

5-7 scap pushups with partner on back

One arm hanging scap pulls: 9(PR),8,7

Joshua Naterman

Nice! For your max leg strength just do sets of 2 reps. After the second contraction your output is below 90%. You don't need that much of a rest, either. You may want to consider investing your time in single leg deadlifts as well, since they strengthen and activate the hip girdle much more than double leg deadlifts do. Just an idea! Not only will those contribute a lot more towards your actual athletic ability, NLC, GHR, and the shape of your butt (if you care about such things), you will also not have to worry so much about wasting grip strength or tiring out your upper back. After all, those get quite a bit of work from your regular training. More efficiency = better results.

Razz

Thanks for the advice Sliz! I'll drop reps to 2. I think I'll do one cycle of deadlifts and then switch to the single leg version. Don't know if we have heavy enough dumbbells at the place I train though, we probably do as I guess I'm terribly weak in the single leg one :lol: