This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Razz

Today:

AM:

2x15s MSH..I want to get this to a couple of 30s sets with hands back..so far just 15s hands sideways

PM:

Simulated cross pullouts with pulley system and weights:

2x10x30kg+5s hold

Assisted cross pullouts

2+4s hold

3+3s hold

So ended up not filming because this guy went to help me out with cross work and I prioritated that over filming my own stuff. After this I did 1x straddle planche and 1x straddle-l press HS which I filmed. It was shit but I'll put up the straddle-l press.

Also 1 set of pullups, front lever. Got some press HS exercises which I did one round of. Oh yeah and I also coached kids 1½ hour and did 1hour aerobics with uni today so I'm pretty damn smashed on this schedule.

Joshua Naterman
:lol: Aerobics?!
Razz

AHAHAHA well.. it's part of the curriculum for our dance class in sports science study..they want us to have some all around knowledge about most sports/physical activities.. this is one of the reasons I would've preferred the states for college haha :P

Razz

Just one workout today:

2 hours

warmup, parallettes routine then on to vault

had problems timing my run but whenever I got a good vault it was better than ever. Coach wants me to work layout tsukahara so hopefully I'll have that down soon :D

Parallel bars.. Swings to HS, 'german', practiced a backwards salto dismount from end of bars for the first time ever. Easy as, but not looking forward to the dismounts from the middle of the bars.

Strength:

pullups, semi wide grip: 15

dips:20 semi-easy, 2-3 more reps

HLL 10,10 with some rest pause

planche, tuck: 20s this is getting stronger

l-sit: 20s was hard as hell after HLL

reverse hypers: 20+10s hold

wall press HS: 3 straddle

rope climb: strength back to normal, rose to the top faster than my morning woods!! (unfortunately I couldn't stay as long :P )

reverse flyes: 20+10s hold

wall HS: 1 minute, easy :D

pushups feet elevated: 20

straddle-l: 2x10s

some stretching, then went out with friends but didnt have any alcohol. Result was a bit of a late night which is bad for my sleep but what the heck.

Razz

Today 1 hour dance stuff.....

tomorrow some indoor rock climbing, trampoline and hopefully gymnastics training!

Razz

So I went jumping some trampoline this morning at the opening of this new place.. Word of advice: Don't do trampolining when you're not sobered up yet!! Don't think I will have the possibility to get to train in the gym before monday but I will do basic stuff at home. Possibly find a place to hang the XR tomorrow and do some cross work.

Razz

Workout1

4-5x30s adv frog stand

workout2

short rings:

3-4 cross holds, got some 8-9s slightly high ones and some 3s perfect ones. Most sets were followed by 4-5 pullouts lowering down 60-80% of the way.

3x10s cross hold with straps 1-2cm from wrist

3x20s tuck FL

Razz

workout 3:

15 min handbalancing (why not try to get a one arm HS? :mrgreen: )

few MSH sets

few 30s adv frog stand sets

few 10s straddle-l sets

few being somewhere between 3 and 5. The high volume on my planche is definately helping. both as elbow conditioning and for my actual planche. It is hands backwards of course.

crabtree
Razz said:
It is hands backwards of course.

Do you recommend hands backwards for planche training or why "of course"? :)

Razz

It is more specific for rings and requires a much greater deal of bicep tendon strength, also the tension one can create with the fingertips to the floor is almost non existent compared to hands forward which is why I find hands backwards to be a much more impressive feat :)

Razz

I have been thinking of joining a gym and performing specific exercises to gymnastics. This week it's vacation from gymnastics and the weather outside is not reliable enough for me to use the XR. It's annoying me that I can't be in the gym training every day.

Razz

Joined a gym (as in weights gym) for the next 3 months. Point is to supplement my gymnastics training when I don't have the opportunity to be in the gymnastics gym all the time.

Everything is done in the best way to simulate the actual gymnastics movements.

Cable crossover - simulating IC

5 sets increasing weight every time. Up to 3 reps with 45kg in each hand. Well above my bw...

Wide grip pullups

3x6

Pullups

2x6

3+20s negative

2x6

Maltese press with dumbells, 1s pause in maltese position on each rep.

5x5x11.6kg after each set 5s hold in maltese position.

superset with:

Victorian press same tempo as maltese and with 5s hold

5x5x6kg

Bench press with pause

7x3x80kg

superset with:

BW rows chest to bar [1013] exc,pause,conc,pause aka 3s pause at chest to bar.

7x5

Lateral raise palms up lowering from overhead to inv. cross position [1110]

3x5x11.6kg

superset with:

body levers

3x3

DB cuban rotation

2x?x6kg

some stretching of shoulder/chest and some dislocations.

Joshua Naterman

There is an article called "The Iron Cross for Bodybuilders" that you may want to read and replace your cable crossovers with. My experience with those machines is that they can't simulate cross very well. http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_iron_cross_for_bodybuilders&cr= There you go. Coach was consulted for that article.

I don't know if you need that many sets of bench, that will require experimentation on your part and will probably depend on how often you actually train in the gymnastics gym during any particular week!

With the rows, make sure you're not internally rotating the shoulders as you are retracting your shoulder blades. It is very important to use the rows to pull the shoulders BACK, and to not roll them forward as you approach peak contraction. If you DO roll them forward you will be setting yourself up for shoulder issues as you will be losing the primary shoulder balancing effect of the rows.

You will learn Coach's front lever progressions in Mallorca and that will give you some new stuff to do in the gym and will probably have you revising your body lever numbers!

I like the inverted cross dumbbell raises, good idea I think.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a ton of shoulder work, so make sure you stretch well and have plenty of time for recovery. The pre/mid/post workout nutrition article I wrote should help a lot.

Razz

Thanks man, It'll be a while before I hang myself upside down in that gym, it's AAS style with huge mofos that'll probably kill me if i go hang upside down on the pullup bar :mrgreen: I've thought of positioning myself on the floor in an L-position though, that'd make the resistance from the cables come more from the top and thus simulate an actual cross situation better.

The bench was based on the fact that both Gregor seemed to have noted a small correlation between bench and maltese and Yan Mingyong also benches a shitload. At the very least I thought it wouldn't harm, and doing a double bw bench would be pretty cool anyways :mrgreen:

About the rows I will certainly keep that in mind :) so basically having a 90 degree abducted arm should be good for that right?

Can't wait for the seminar, that will most likely change a lot of my training :P

Well this is a shitload of shoulder work, but what's even better is that I plan to do FSP after dinner aswell :mrgreen: My nutrition pre post and during the day is good though, I should be able to handle it :D Of course I also stretch a lot! I've yet to read your article but I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the comment :D

Joshua Naterman

No problem!

Bench definitely helps planche and maltese, at least from what I have noticed. I think it's a good idea, just make sure you don't do so much that you can't work properly during your practices! How often are you planning on doing that?

For the rows, I wouldn't worry about arm angles so much as I would try to pinch my shoulder blades together as hard as I could! As if you're trying to crush something with them, from the top to the bottom. You will be externally rotating the arm slightly at the shoulder as the bar gets close to your torso. This is something that you may benefit from using the cables on every 2nd or 3rd workout. This is one of the few exercises I think cables are actually good for.

Razz

Hmm yeah todays bench wasn't that exhausting, I kept one extra rep in the tank every set. Well normally I get to go to gymnastics gym 3-4 times per week so I'm thinking weights workouts ~3 times weekly and then LIGHT (30s holds) FSP at home on days where I'm not in the gymnastics gym so that those days are 2x daily.

For the rows as long as hands are in line with nipples when chest is touching bar I don't see internal rotation happening, correct? I am consciously trying to squeeze shoulder blades together throughout the whole movement as my main purpose for this is strengthening my scapular retractors.

Razz

Workout #2

30s adv frog stand

5-10s straddle-l

3-4x10s tuck PL WAYYYY easier. Thank you adv frog stand.

3-4x5-10s straddle-l

Gregor

It looks ok. You can do also a MU on a pull up bar in fitness gym and front and back levers, flys with dumbells instead of doing them on rings, try to do inverted IC on a pully machine - standing and do them from below, of course you'll need radicly decrease the weight because you'll need to start with very bottom position aka "inverted hang"(I never did, so I don't know how is the feelling).

Razz

Oh yeah, never thought of inv cross on pulley, I will switch between that and dumbell. There is no space for levers or MU on the pullup bar. Thanks a lot for commenting :D

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Hmm yeah todays bench wasn't that exhausting, I kept one extra rep in the tank every set. Well normally I get to go to gymnastics gym 3-4 times per week so I'm thinking weights workouts ~3 times weekly and then LIGHT (30s holds) FSP at home on days where I'm not in the gymnastics gym so that those days are 2x daily.

For the rows as long as hands are in line with nipples when chest is touching bar I don't see internal rotation happening, correct? I am consciously trying to squeeze shoulder blades together throughout the whole movement as my main purpose for this is strengthening my scapular retractors.

You'd be surprised, people usually don't notice when they internally rotate. You may have good habits and so may not be doing this, but watching on video from the side will really let you see if anything is wrong or not.

Razz

I will definately think of it Slizzardman, who knows maybe I'll discover something new next time I do the exercise.

Joshua Naterman

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't, but you never know!

Razz

Today just one workout..2½ hours though :D

warmup

ring series..got a nice improvement on the wide muscle up, pretty much just goes straight up with constant speed.

bunch of swings and HS

10s spotted iron cross

5s spotted iron cross with just one hand from a skinny kid.. it's very close to me holding by myself

10s spotted cross

more rings stuff

floor practice. So nice to be back practicing floor again. We have one tumble track which is quite soft and then the usual floor. Got a handspring-->front layout pretty easy on the tumble track, need to add some twists.

more rings stuff.

Little bit of pommel horse.. I just suck balls at that shit!

Razz

Yday practice

Rings stuff

assisted crosses

Floor work. The actual floor is a bit harder than the tumbletrack, I need more leg power!

Played in the pulley system with some ring series. Damn those 'advanced' ring series are so much harder than the easy ones I can perform on rings :P

TrJB_POErJc

Razz

3 hour training today.

warmup..

few flips and stuff on floor

3x10s assisted cross

MU: 6,5

ring swings training for double back dismount. Will have it down soon.

Some playing on floor and airtrack

3x Assisted ring series: 3xkip to l-sit-->cross pullout-->4s cross

Can't remember what I spent all that time on, but also some front levers and other rings HS stuff in there.