This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Razz

Finally have internet! Lesson in badminton biomechanics today followed by some ball games where everyone is supposed to be drunk.. Think I'm gonna stay sober because I was sick yesterday (10g vit C did the trick) just a bit of runny nose and slight headache today but wanna be ready for gym tomorrow.

Søren

HAHAHAHAHAHA are you serious?? They want u to play ball games drunk?? :lol:

Razz

Well the ball games was an after school activity :P , not sure if you're being sarcastic. Ordering supplements now.. no cutting the price this time.

ordering:

magnesium chelates

multi vitamin (restocking)

vitamin d (restocking)

Animal flex

BCAA (restocking, finally getting capsules!)

Fishoil (restocking)

vit C

oh boy there's much more one could dream of, buuut not happening. Gotta restrict my self.

Razz

Just registered for all 3 days GB seminar!!!!!!

John Sapinoso

if this was facebook, i'd "like" that

Søren

lol thought you ment the drunk ball games were a part of the education :roll:

Joshua Naterman

LOL, It's been a while since I've stopped by here, so there was a lot of catching up to do!

Well, all I have to say about school is don't hold your breath waiting for other people to catch up to your knowledge! You may run across someone who also has outside interests in fitness, but outside of other people like that you're not going to run into much of anyone who knows anything outside of the text book, and text books don't cover all that much. Lots of basic physiological stuff but very little applied knowledge.

Now, I know Nick said this:

As far as your question about a carb up day once a week: For athletic performance, you don't need it. If you want to do it to keep yourself on your diet, and feel a cheat day with extra carbs will help, fine. But I would not do it if the only reason is you think you need them to perform at a higher level. That is simply not true.

And fortunately followed that up by stating that's his opinion lol! You're going to need to test that out for yourself. I have done a LOT of research on this and it turns out that to the best knowledge of science, and there has been a lot of research into this, a human body can NOT use fatty acids to restore glycogen, which means you would be relying on gluconeogenesis entirely. Marsupials seem to be able to, but placental mammals can not. Go figure. Anyhow, if you are ketogenic then ketone bodies can be used to some extent, but they do not appear to be a significant source for gluconeogenesis. Everything I can find points to our bodies being able to produce about 100g/day of glycogen from gluconeogenesis, assuming enough of one or more substrates are in the body ( protein, glycerol, pyruvic acid, etc). However, to my knowledge none of this research has been repeated on longer-term zero carbers, and many report that over a period of about a year their body slowly recovers faster and faster without carbs. So there does seem to be a real possibility that the body CAN fully adapt, over a long period of time, to producing more than that amount of glycogen from non-ideal sources. Is this healthy? We don't know. Can it match what your body gets from carbs? We don't know. This is an area that would benefit from a comparison study, and ideally with a longitudinal component following people as they switch to a zero carb diet and stick with it for a few years at least. That would be PERFECT.

Anyhow, as of right now we don't know if the body can adapt to alternate methods of glycogen replenishment to the point where it can top off muscle and liver glycogen. Having full or nearly full glycogen stores is absolutely necessary for the most productive workouts. That doesn't mean you can't have productive workouts with low glycogen, it just means that you could get a LOT more done WITH full glycogen. The steady intake of low levels of carbs, and we're talking about 30-40g total over the course of the whole workout (at least that's what I do) goes a long way towards reducing glycogen depletion. That's like 2-3g per set. That's the only time I can have sugar without feeling crappy. Low levels of carbs are not going to shut down sensitivity the way higher levels like 80g after a workout or something like that will. One thing you could try is calculating about how much glycogen you burn during your workout, subtract 100g from that, and consume the difference in the 2-3 hours after the workout as carbs, split evenly between your PWO meals and taken with plenty of the other macronutrients. That should allow you to maintain your glycogen stores and need infrequent if any refeedings. Keep in mind that when/if you do refeed it takes less than 24 hours to replenish glycogen. One day is PLENTY. After that you should be ok for a while.

Razz

Tsoonami, I like it A LOT aswell :D

Slizz: Yeah I agree with you, I seriously doubt a high fat diet for strength. I think a 30F/30C/40P or something like that is pretty ideal. The whole 'carbs around workout' thing makes more and more sense in the way that if you fill your glycogen stores and then keep the carbs coming around the workout you wouldn't need much more carbs (as in high carb foods) during the day. This is what I'm going to do as soon as I'm leaner but I really have a goal right now that is 6% bf. I want maximum relative strength and I believe the best way to do that is for me get really lean, not the 10-12% I was before, I'm done with that :P

About school you are definately right Slizz, I'm doing a lot of extra research and reading outside the textbook and outside classes, the textbook stuff is way too 'average'

Off to second training with my coach now, today it's rings, pommel and floor. Bought tape for my wrists so I won't destroy them now that they're almost recovered. (I can do hands backwards planche on floor with no pain now) Funny thing about my wrists is actually that after a session where there has been some pain, they always seem to get better the next day than before the painful session. (not talking pain as in OUCH but just as in discomfort)

Razz

Today the danish champion complemented my ring strength series, daaaaaaaymn that brought a smile on my face!! :D :D

Razz

Last training did some giants on HB with straps (first time I do more than 1 without assistance) so now Just need to do them without straps :mrgreen:

also slowly getting stronger, more flexible etc.. today hangover training at søren's crib :mrgreen:

Razz

Well weekend had some gf problems (long distance just doesn't work :mrgreen: ) so I went to one more party and 'super compensated' Besides that I've been resting because we have strength tests tomorrow at gym and I want to do my best

Joshua Naterman

Long distance is quite tough. Good luck with the strength tests, I'll be looking forward to your results!

Razz

Sprained my right thumb working on some acro with university ppl today.. fell frontwards over the thumb doing a floor straddle planche. Anyways off to training now. Also got my animal flex today. Oh and left wrist can now tolerate floor HS without any pain, but with sports tape! Improvements!!

Razz

There we go, strength and flexibility test done. almost. Few more exercises on thursday. These results were all with not so much rest in between sets (1-3 min mostly) and after a ridiculous warmup which also included repouts in HLL, pullups and burpees. Oh and 2 hours of acro training earlier.. but well enough with the excuses, here are the results:

for leg exercises there was nothing with reps.. it was just high jumps and we scored either 1,2 or 3. Scored 2 in high jump and 3 in long jump. Scored perfect 3 in all flexibility tests except shoulders, got a 1 for shoulder dislocations and 2 for stretch behind head. Stretching was done before strength so that's another thing not making this a true max (just saying, it's probably still close :mrgreen: )

Dips with approx 10kg: 24 reps

cirques, this was just a completion mark..

l-sit: 40 something s. Think it was 44

tuck planche: 25s

straddle-l: 22s

straddle wall press HS: 8 reps

really can't remember if there were more exercises.. anyways still missing pushups,chinups, wall HS hold. We also have a trampoline (kinesthetic sense) and a courage test were we need to climb the ring tower..By the way I came out with the highest score in every exercise except shoulder flexibility I believe..Starting to be an assistant coach from next week and also got the number of one of the guys from the gym so I can train whenever he goes aswell.. looking forward to 4-6x weekly and then 5x sports in university weekly.. BCAA should arrive tomorrow thank god :mrgreen:

Søren

Nice test results :) especially 24 dips with 10 kg, without doing the exercise frequently, is quite impressive I think

Razz

I was quite surprised with the dips aswell :D Not quite satisfied with the other exercises but those were after the dips with little rest so no doubt with proper rest I'd do better. Oh and thanks :mrgreen:

Razz

Went into the gym today because I was supposed to join a CF group (my only chance of working out today), but to my luck some of the guys from my team where there and we decided to do our own conditioning. Can't really remember all we did but it went something like this:

warmup

Ring flyes feet elevated: managed 5, quite weak compared to usual but this was on extra long rings and I wasn't proper warm.. and it wasn't all out.. so probably not that weak.

lying side bends/other side/inv situps all with 10kg 15/15/15 reps

some dips and russian dips

some behind the neck pullups

front lever pulls

rope climb (cirque) didn't get all the way up :s

Backuprise support attempts on rings..ended up just doing muscle ups

more pullups

tuck front lever rows

3x5 straddle germans

rope climb to top

some standing front flips, finally got them down :D

3x5 HLL superset with human flags.. really want a pic in a human flag :mrgreen:

Decent training having in mind my strength tests yesterday and the fact that I've already been to both swimming and gymnastics with uni once today..furthermore BCAA and fishoil arrived.. also added flax seed oil before bed..

Razz

HOLY fu'ck i'm just shaking right now after coming home from training, doubt ill sleep anytime soon

Warmup:

running, basic tumbling

stretching

bit of strength warmup

Moved on to pommel training at which i sucked donkey balls.. did probably 5x3 straddle germans in between routines

Moved on to rings, learned a forward roll to support and a dislocate so i'm a happy man :D (first time trying dislocate) felt REALLY strong doing hs-->decline inverted hang..or maybe my feet were supporting more than they felt like but i doubt it..also got some nice layout dismounts..tried double back but that shit wasn't working today..

finished off with a strength circuit in which we chose the order ourself so i tried to superset antagonists. Went something like this:

rope climb to top

2x10 dips

l-sit 20s

behind neck pullups: 7, at front wide grip: 6, normal pronated 4,2,1

HLL: 7,6,4,3 KILLER

wall HS 1 min

box jumps: 10

planche 2x10s tuck

prone reverse flyes no weight: 30 reps

pushups: 20,10

wall straddle press HS: 3,2

straddle-l: 3s,10s

pretty sure i'm missing a few exercises or maybe the order is not right because i don't reckon doing too much pressing without doing something in between..maybe it's because i was lying on the floor thinking i was going to puke (already checked where the litter box was)..could barely drive the car home and now i'm just still shaking..rest tomorrow i think..well except 1 hour of swimming and 1hour 15min dance class ..fuck..might do some hamstring work aswell since there is a definate imbalance in my coachs program there.

1½ pre WO: 200g minced beef, ½ onion, ½ tomato, some spinach, 5g fish oil, multi vitamin, vitamin C

15 min Pre workout: 15g BCAA

post workout: 1 liter milk (normally i use 400ml but i was so screwed over i pretty much chugged it all), 30g prot, creatine, beta alanine, strawberries. ZMA

Also taking 5g BCAA upon awakening while waiting for my omelet to cook.

Razz

morning weight:

sep 10 67,2kg.

sep 24 69,2kg.

hmm think this has something to do with me getting a lot of carbs yesterday..and eating a huge meal before bed. Anyways low carbing all day today and then we'll see what i weigh tomorrow.

Razz

24 sep 2010

2x shoulder series

1 hour swimming

1h15 dancing

Razz

25 sep

just a couple of straddle and tuck planche sets during the day..these less frequent but more intense workouts that I'm doing right now are killing me.. I still have DOMS from thursday and sunday is almost over.. my DOMS in my forearms from last thursdays highbar just disappeared this thursday :mrgreen:

Razz

Well so I was supposed to have been training sat and sunday but the guy never called.. anyways I'm going to do 10 sets of prehab for upper body the days I'm not training gymnastics, lower body prehab is going to be by feeling..

Joshua Naterman

It's probably a good idea to scale it up each week one set at a time starting with 3 sets. The 30s rest is important, don't go past that. Jumping into it might be a terrible idea lol! The soreness after my first 10x10 was pretty spectacular. I'll keep doing that for shoulder press, but for the rest of it I'm starting slow.

Razz

Well I've already been doing ~3 sets a couple of times per week so I'm going to try today, if I'm all banged up tomorrow then I guess I will scale into it :P

Razz

Today's prehab

5 rounds:

10 circles each direction facing stall bar, with elastic band, in overhead, T and hands at hip position.

Same but facing away from stall bar, forgot this in the middle 3 rounds. In the last round I held each stretch 10s

15 scapula pushups

15 HS scapula pushups

30s rest between rounds

3 rounds

20 rubber band dislocates

20 dorsal rubber band dislocates

3 rounds

30s static shoulder stretch behind back

30s shoulder stretch laying on chest and rolling over to each side. (30s each side)

30s overhead pushing down on elbow stretch, each side.

10 wrist pushups

10 minutes tennisball massage

notes to self:

- adding 1 more round each week

- monday is scapula focus, friday is rotator cuff focus

- need to include side support scapula pushups for pommel horse

- hanging shrugs and inverted shrugs would be beneficial aswell, but I have nowhere to hang where I live right now.