This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Razz's log, video p. 63

Started by Razz, August 24, 2009 · 1,193 Replies · 52,662 Views

Razz

Just thought I'd update that I'm now into rehab mode, making everything ready for September second when I'm starting gym in the gym club. Anti inflammatoric cream 4x daily on wrist (bday gift from søren :D ) 5 days of rest from the 28th to the 2nd. Lots of prehab/rehab exercises. Still planning to overtrain like hell the next couple of days.. or should i say overreach

EDIT: 20-30g fish oil per day hoping for no diarrhea. Every fish oil with nuts (fiber) (I have no idea if that's gonna help) and only with solid meals.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Edit: Wear brown pants. :lol:

Razz

HAHAHAHAHA this morning you have no idea how happy I was when my crap was solid :lol: so far 1½ day without problems :P

EDIT: Slizzardman it should probably be more like greenish pants to be honest.. anyways soft tissue work before bed tonight completely fixed up my back and neck problems.. overtraining is not going to happen been busy all day long packing and doing last minute stuff and will be so tomorrow aswell. Friday and saturday I can train but thinking of not doing anything just to get 100% ready for starting gym... we'll see.

Razz

27 august 2010

Couple of sets of iron cross attempts

Reverse cranks: 3,5,5,3

bit of playing on rings

Bench press max test, got 100,7kg so that's a good PR also got 90,7 x 4 reps which is also a PR

Military press max after bench test: got a 15s grinder with 60kg, was afraid I was gonna pass out!! shit that was intense

wrists were taped up of course, no pain actually, they're getting better.

5-10 sets of 2-3 pullups with 15kg, shit I'm weak here.. hopefully working pullups will help my front lever as there's still some irritation preventing me from working front lever.

Tarun Suri

How much do you weigh Razz?

Razz

70kg :) but I'm probably 10-12%bf atm, in a few months should be down to 6-8% with same strength!

Daniel Jorgensen

Strong Bacardi Razz!

How's that vid og your l-straddle press HS comming along?

And for all your fish oil - i hope you are taking it fluid and not in capsules?!

Razz

Well the day I tried to film I couldn't do it properly and now I'm saving my wrists for gym start, but once I get internet in my room (just moved to Aalborg) I'll go otuside and do one and film it ;)

Fish oil is in capsules..it's a hell lot of capsules.

Today is my first actual rest day for my wrists since all the screwing furniture together messed them up, but did some GtG with wrist pushups which helped immensely. Also trying to minimize the use of the laptop because that's for sure bad aswell. Got one of my books for uni today: "Exercise physiology, nutrition, energy and human performance" pretty damn interesting!!!! Tonight going to Ozzy Osbourne concert (sober) and then uni starts in 2 days (not sober!) :mrgreen: Btw controlling my own diet is working great!! This is going to help my recovery and performance a lot I can feel!

Daniel Jorgensen

You could try the fluid fish oil - cod-liver oil.

It's way cheaper and much higher concentration of EPA and DHP :) But taste like crap

Razz

But that stuff is most likely not clean of heavy metals which is a concern when taken in large doses..I think :mrgreen: but depends on brand of course but then once you find a good brand the price is high again..

Starting gym tonight, can't wait!!! Hungover as hell from the intro party in uni though, that was a hell of a night!

Søren

Sweet :) Wanna share how it went?

Razz

Gym was pretty awesome, nice facilities and nice people there. For the next week I'm training with a tumbling/mini tramp team because my coach is not back from vacation yet. So just 2 times a week for now. After the few days deload I was really strong compared to before. Held a couple of seconds worth of straddle planche which felt like 'true' planches and not the ones I usually pull off :mrgreen: Rings were shaky as hell since I haven't been on long rings for a while but I still managed to momentarily hold a cross.. Today I'm going to find a place to set up the XR

Søren

Nice.. yeah, the facilities in Aalborg are great.. Hope you're ready to "show off" in the rings when the coach comes back 8)

Razz

Ok I have internet for the next hour so here's a more detailed version of what I've been doing:

Diet is now ~2600-2800kcals

40-50%fat

10-20%carbs (around workout 1 banana and occasional milk)

35-40%prot

A typical day will be like this:

breakfast: varies between 8-10am

3 organic eggs

10g spinach

10g fish oil

multi

1000mg vit C

1.5g beta alanine

few hours later:

100-150g chicken or beef

5g fish oil

30g nuts

If there is a workout:

1 banana PRE WO

25g BCAA PRE WO

1.5g beta alanine PRE WO

40g whey POST WO

1.5g beta alanine POST WO

5g creatine POST WO

few hours later:

250g beef

1 onion

garlic

1 tomato

½ avocado

multi

1000mg vit C

10g spinach

few hours later:

100-150g chicken/beef

5g fish oil

ZMA

also supplementing with 10k IU vit d/day (2x35k IU/week)

sometimes there's more sometimes less... the point here is to get the body used to use fatty acids as energy (trying to lose a few %bf and so far it's working, down to 68kg from 70kg) and enjoy the benefits of higher resting testosterone on a high fat diet. Once I'm lean I will up to 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% prot on ~3000kcal. Still thinking whether or not I should have one carb up day each week, any comments on that?

2 days ago when I came to gym the danish national champion was there training so I'm hoping to train a bunch with him once the coach comes back and I can start training more than 2x week. accidentially came 2 hours early so I trained for 4 hours. There were 2 other guys that were early aswell so I trained with them the first 2 hours and then with the team. With the 2 guys I just joined them doing some conditioning rounds and some endless ab training, wasn't bothered to lesson them the first day that 10000 reps isn't gonna cut it. I was more or less owning them in endurance despite not having trained it for god knows how long. Some small kid also tried instructing me in squats with a 15kg plate..poor kid..

Today I went for a 1 hour unsuccesful walk to try and find a place to hang my rings. Did a small workout at home with some front lever pulls and tried some straddle-l press HS but couldnt :S pissed me off and got me frustrated but now on the way to mcd (just sitting here for wireless) I saw a football field so I can hang my rings off the goals there. Might go do a workout soon although it is kinda late.

Holy shit it's like I'm writing a diary.. anyways just been reading physiology and anatomy stuff and doing nothing.. kinda disappointed with my study peers as they are completely blank on the subject but I guess they will learn as we go along in the semester...... over and out

Razz

5 sep 2010

Found a football field with plenty of goals to hang the rings from, bonus is that the weather was remarkable today :D

3s very very slight high cross hold + 8 bulgarian dips

3s ditto+ 5 bulgarian dips

3s ditto +5 bulgarian dips

immediately on to:

3x[3 full lay cranks+6 FL pulls to inverted hang]

3x[5-6 FL rows + 3-5 bulgarian rows] some rest pause and other self destroyment techniques included in the last set of bulgarians.

tomorrow rest so I'm ready for gym tuesday. Well I have lessons in net/ball games for 1½ tomorrow so not complete rest.

Freeflyer
Razz said:
Ok I have internet for the next hour so here's a more detailed version of what I've been doing:

Diet is now ~2600-2800kcals

40-50%fat

10-20%carbs (around workout 1 banana and occasional milk)

35-40%prot

A typical day will be like this:

breakfast: varies between 8-10am

3 organic eggs

10g spinach

10g fish oil

multi

1000mg vit C

1.5g beta alanine

few hours later:

100-150g chicken or beef

5g fish oil

30g nuts

If there is a workout:

1 banana PRE WO

25g BCAA PRE WO

1.5g beta alanine PRE WO

40g whey POST WO

1.5g beta alanine POST WO

5g creatine POST WO

few hours later:

250g beef

1 onion

garlic

1 tomato

½ avocado

multi

1000mg vit C

10g spinach

few hours later:

100-150g chicken/beef

5g fish oil

ZMA

also supplementing with 10k IU vit d/day (2x35k IU/week)

sometimes there's more sometimes less... the point here is to get the body used to use fatty acids as energy (trying to lose a few %bf and so far it's working, down to 68kg from 70kg) and enjoy the benefits of higher resting testosterone on a high fat diet. Once I'm lean I will up to 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% prot on ~3000kcal. Still thinking whether or not I should have one carb up day each week, any comments on that?

You're diet plan doesn't seem to be too far from where I stand. I would change a few things though. I think your banana, which I would consider changing to some mixed berries personally, would serve you better post workout. It would help trigger a small insulin release to refuel your muscles. Post workout is usually the only time of day I eat any carbs at all. I would also drop the whey just a little and replace it with some casein; mixed proteins seem to help more post workout than just fast ones. You can do this pretty easily by using casein powder, or even better, some grass-fed whole milk (milk protein is 80% casein).

I see no need for a multi-vitamin. They are generally full of synthetic junk and don't address specific needs. If you feel you are missing out or deficient on a certain vitamin or mineral, you are better off supplementing that one specifically. Multis can easily give you more than you need of some things, and other are in forms your body probably can hardly use. If you are eating a healthy diet, you don't need one.

20g of fish oil a day is a lot. Although your body desires a 1:1 ratio of Omega 3:6, PUFAs are still an unstable fat. High amounts of PUFAs can be toxic. Yes, they are essential because your body can't make them, but that essential amount really isn't very much. If stick with free range/pasture chickens/eggs and grass fed beef, you shouldn't need very much fish oil if at all since your Omega 6:3 ratio should already be pretty much spot on.

As far as your question about a carb up day once a week: For athletic performance, you don't need it. If you want to do it to keep yourself on your diet, and feel a cheat day with extra carbs will help, fine. But I would not do it if the only reason is you think you need them to perform at a higher level. That is simply not true.

of course everything I have said is merely my opinion on the matter. The human body and diet are so poorly understood that is impossible to say exactly what is the best for anyone. This is just what I have gathered from my reading, personal experience and experiences of others.

Daniel Jorgensen
Nick_EOD said:
Razz said:
Ok I have internet for the next hour so here's a more detailed version of what I've been

sometimes there's more sometimes less... the point here is to get the body used to use fatty acids as energy (trying to lose a few %bf and so far it's working, down to 68kg from 70kg) and enjoy the benefits of higher resting testosterone on a high fat diet. Once I'm lean I will up to 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% prot on ~3000kcal. Still thinking whether or not I should have one carb up day each week, any comments on that?

You're diet plan doesn't seem to be too far from where I stand. I would change a few things though. I think your banana, which I would consider changing to some mixed berries personally, would serve you better post workout. It would help trigger a small insulin release to refuel your muscles. Post workout is usually the only time of day I eat any carbs at all. I would also drop the whey just a little and replace it with some casein; mixed proteins seem to help more post workout than just fast ones. You can do this pretty easily by using casein powder, or even better, some grass-fed whole milk (milk protein is 80% casein).

I see no need for a multi-vitamin. They are generally full of synthetic junk and don't address specific needs. If you feel you are missing out or deficient on a certain vitamin or mineral, you are better off supplementing that one specifically. Multis can easily give you more than you need of some things, and other are in forms your body probably can hardly use. If you are eating a healthy diet, you don't need one.

20g of fish oil a day is a lot. Although your body desires a 1:1 ratio of Omega 3:6, PUFAs are still an unstable fat. High amounts of PUFAs can be toxic. Yes, they are essential because your body can't make them, but that essential amount really isn't very much. If stick with free range/pasture chickens/eggs and grass fed beef, you shouldn't need very much fish oil if at all since your Omega 6:3 ratio should already be pretty much spot on.

As far as your question about a carb up day once a week: For athletic performance, you don't need it. If you want to do it to keep yourself on your diet, and feel a cheat day with extra carbs will help, fine. But I would not do it if the only reason is you think you need them to perform at a higher level. That is simply not true.

of course everything I have said is merely my opinion on the matter. The human body and diet are so poorly understood that is impossible to say exactly what is the best for anyone. This is just what I have gathered from my reading, personal experience and experiences of others.

I def. agree on our point on the carbs PWO.

Now, I don't know very much on these ketose-diets, but I've read that it is not very healthy to keep the daily carb intake on less than 150 grams as thats the approx. of what the brain uses throughtout day/night.

To both of you: Can you recommend any literature on low carbs/ketose diets?

@Razz: How is the 3,5 gram of Beta alanine working for you? Any side effects?

Razz

Interesting, I thought the carbs pre WO would help me as I'd refuel my muscles before the workout which would help performance and then after WO I wouldn't need that increase in mucsle glycogen until before the next workout but then again if you look in the big picture I guess it doesn't matter much. I will listen to you guys and change it to post..

Meat is grassfed (well I think I read somewhere that most meat in Denmark is grassfed, thus the whole grassfed thing is not such a big deal here), but not organic. Dairy I will add in as soon as I'm a bit lower in bf. This will also give me more carbs. I'm having a hard time believing that it's possible to perform optimally on a low carb - high fat diet. Studies seem to be on my side in this regard but that may be more in regards to aerobic training. Anyways I'm trying it now so I will find out.

Back to the omega ratio my eggs are organic but not omega 3 enriched, no clue what they feed the chickens here. Organic grains maybe? :? Anyways I will scale down to O-3 a bit.. 10-15grams/day it is. The unstable fats did worry me a bit but then again with 2.5g vit C/day that does help fight the free radicals (500mg in multi).

For the vitamins I'm going to stick with my multi, it's most likely not filled with crap and the forms are absorbable ones. It's "twice daily multi" from "Designs for health".

Dr Durden: Actually it's 6g/day, forgot to write i take 1.5 before bed aswell. So far no problems with that. Hard to say anything about an actual performance increase though..As far as ketogen diets the brain will make glucose from amino acids when there are no carbs available, but it does seem like no more than about 84% of aerobic energy can be supplied from fatty acid oxidation so some carbs are most probably needed.. the question is how much glucose can the body produce from amino acids and still perform good?

Ok that was 1 big pile of shit when it comes to grammar but hope you guys make sense of it :mrgreen:

Lately I've added in a new 'dessert' at night that I like to call "Spiked peanutbutter" it's basically organic peanut butter mixed with chocolate whey powder..tastes damn good :mrgreen:

Freeflyer

Speaking only from experience, I have not suffered any loss in aerobic or anaerobic performance since I cut down heavily on carbs. I don't believe I am actually ketosis most of the time, but I rarely eat more then 100g of carbohydrates per day on a 3000+kcal diet. I do not actually count carbs though, so that is a rough guess. The majority of my carbs come in the form of dairy in my post workout shakes and breakfast. Sometimes I will eat a few berries in half and half, but berries are fairly low sugar overall.

In fact, I would venture to say I have more energy now than I ever used to. The only area at all where I may have a small decline is sprint repeats. Those highly anaerobic exercises with very little rest in between. But to be honest, it is not even enough for me to really notice. I know for a fact it is not necessary for aerobic endurance because I know a guy who eats a zero carb diet (literally nothing but beef and water) and runs half-marathons and occasional marathons at a more than reasonable pace. 90+% max heart is where they claim your body runs entirely on glucose, but I have gotten my heart rate up that high multiple times in a single WOD and kept it above 80% for extended periods of time on a VLC diet.

If you find your multis helpful then by all means keep taking them. I just feel it is better to supplement individually to your needs rather than throw a whole bunch of stuff at yourself that you may or may not need.

Joshua Naterman

I suppose it depends on where your carbs come from. I find that when i have around half of a sweet potato 30 minutes or so before my workout I do better than if I have no carbs, but I do even better if I have a good bit of coconut milk along with the sweet potato.

Pre-workout carbs aren't meant to refuel, they are meant to put sugar in the blood so that you don't burn as much local glycogen. You don't really want fast carbs unless you're about to hammer out something pretty hardcore for pre-WO carbs. Having that sugar in the blood also helps limit cortisol. Just a fun fact for ya. The mid-WO jellybeans are absolutely fantastic for keeping energy levels high and limiting cortisol release, which is absolutely essential for longer workouts.

As for PWO carbs, it really depends on what your goals are. As far as I know, there hasn't been any study that has concluded that fast carbs are better than slow carbs. I've been getting very strong very quickly lately, and I've just been pounding the veggies and sweet potato after workouts. My immediate PWO shake sometimes has chocolate syrup in it, but that's not absolutely necessary. I'll only do that if I feel extremely drained for some reason, and it really helps a lot. After that, buttered veggies and coconut milk do me just fine.

I've been drinking more milk lately for cheap calories, but I have to say that I haven't noticed any increase in performance from this practice.

Daniel Jorgensen

As the other guys said: Post WO, your muscles can't really get "reloaded" without the carbs. You need the insuline release from carbs in order to use all the protein to rebuilt muscle damage. That is, what's typically said - however, i don't know how less effective that would be - running only on fats and prots...

Razz

Durden: Whey protein alone will also spike insulin :)

Slizz: Doh, ofcourse carbs pre-wo go into blood, just like BCAAs.. my mistake :P Either way, I'm going to experiment a bit until I get down in bf% and then I can add in carbs as I feel necessary.

Nick: Multi or no multi is kind of a hard one to decide on unless I have actual blood work done of vitamins/minerals.. Ido recommends a 'quality' multi and well with my veggie sources being from 2-4 different things I think I will follow that recommendation. Maybe if I had shitloads of different veggies it wouldn't be necessary. With that being said, does anyone think I need more calcium in the diet? My multi has no calcium and I'm getting 1g of magnesium per day. Doubt the 20g of spinach daily does the job...Then again if I'm adding in milk in a few weeks it shouldn't be necessary.

Razz

New post workout:

immediate: 1 banana, 1 scoop whey, 5g creatine, 1.5g beta alanine

1hour later: 200ml organic coconut milk, ½-1 scoop whey

Pre WO I will experiment with 25g BCAA+2-400ml organic coconut milk...

Todays training completely killed me.. it went as follows:

Started out with some leg conditioning/dynamic work coupled with running.. hooooly shit I felt that I didn't do much aerobic training over the summer!! Still have chest pain when I breathe now (4 hours later), thought I was going to puke but didn't happen..

Then 1 round of strength which had the following exercises (not in this order):

chinups/pull ups

stall bar suppport supinated and pronated (these are damn hard!)

skin the cats

reverse hypers

hypers

inverted situps

HLL

dips

wide grip single bar dips

germans (I can do germans to straddle planche, wuhuuuuu :mrgreen: )

Then a bit of rings swing work, some very basic trampoline (we had a small competition), also did one attempt of mushroom cirlces and got 1½ which i think is a PR tangent so that's pretty ridiculous just came out of nowhere. Did some more rings stuff and then we finished with:

all of this is you-go-I-go:

2x15s l-sit (this mightve been 20 or 30s, can't remember)

10s l-sit

15s tuck planche

15s tuck planche

10s tuck planche

2x30s spotted HS

Razz

Morning weight 10th sep 2010: 67,2kg.. down 3kg from 70 about 2-3 weeks ago. Last night was a complete 'cheat' night/day.. 2x fast food (1x fried fish (decent) and 1 time kebab) and then god knows how many liters of beer.. that didn't help my weightloss i'm sure, but not gonna kill it either..

Gym is going great.. first session with the coach this thursday. More of a technical session but he seems like a good coach. His aspires for the team to win 3rd and 2nd division nationals and then possibly move into competing in division 1. So far I can train 1 more time per week so 3x2 hours per week. Tuesday is rings/floor/pommel horse and thursday is high bar/parallel bar/vault. the 3rd day which I don't know when will be yet will be pure rings and strength work I think. Also going to do some flexibility and strength work at home on weekends..

Razz

By the way I'm adding back in organic whole milk (grassfed) for post workout purposes mixing it with coconut milk