This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Current Focus: HBP/PE2

Started by Nash, February 20, 2015 · 434 Replies · 25,461 Views

john_c
Nash said:

 

 

 - I'm actually starting to enjoy the fucking pain. 

 

 

HaHa....Nutjob !

Nash
wamarler said:

FWIW, I looked over your posts from the past few months, and even if your progress is slow, it is decidedly present, and trending in the right direction. Have you tried Naterman's Perfect Nutrition plan? I started it about 8 weeks ago and results look good (hard to say conclusively it was diet of course ... but it'd be worth trying along with everything else). 

 

I thought about trying it at one time, but nothing is taking my Nutella away from me! But seriously, it's a lot of work and I simply don't want to change my whole diet.

wamarler
Nash said:

I thought about trying it at one time, but nothing is taking my Nutella away from me! But seriously, it's a lot of work and I simply don't want to change my whole diet.

It's not a change to your whole diet. It's a set of pre-workout, intraworkout, and postworkout nutrient intakes.

Pre-workout (20-30 minutes before gym time): 30g Whey, 10-20g carbs, "some" fat. For me this is 30g Whey, 1 cup H2O + 4x Andes mints or an orange.

Intra-workout (30% 10-minutes before gym time; rest during the workout). 10-20g Whey, carbs based on weight. For me this is 12g whey (half a scoop) in 3/5L water, a can of throwback Mountain Dew, and a banana or apple.

Postworkout: I actually gym right before lunch and eat immediately afterwards, so I don't do this part. But the prescription is for whey + carbs.

 

To me, it's the pre-work whey & and intra-work whey + carbs that seem to be the prime success components.

 

I don't think the effort involved in mixing & taking the whey/carbs is that much; the work was in reading through the post and figuring out the numbers. But hey, you know what else is a lot of work? Achieving 5x15 pushups! lol.

Destiny

Decided to give this a go again several months after mastering it just out of curiosity. It was actually easier than the first time and I haven't been following as strict a routine since I was travelling for 3 months which shook up my training and since getting back even I found it tough to get back on track with everything since my strength was now all over the place. I hadn't even been doing much pressing work and nothing over ~10 reps. I was keeping up with easier variations of SPLSE1's IM though. Just goes to show how good that exercise is IMO.

 

Nash I have no idea why this is taking you so long. And I don't mean that in a condescending way. It took me a long time too so I am genuinely curious as to why in both our cases. 75 reps when you think about it is not a lot, especially when it is broken up into 5 sets even with the IM in the way. It's strange how it took us so long. 

Dani88

for me the hardest part is iM, iit kills my shoulders between the sets...

Nick Roy

Same. Xiapengs are the only thing that get me. I'd go lighter, but 10 pounds is the lightest weight I habe. I'm ok with it tho. Xiapengs make my shoulders feel amazing. Like a chill fluid is running through them. Feels rejuvenating

wamarler
Nick Roy said:

... I'd go lighter, but 10 pounds is the lightest weight I have...

You should fix this. It's easy & inexpensive.

Awesssss

My question is: what happens when mastery is lost?

 

What if one achieves 5x15r of push ups, just to lose it because one has moved on? Do you have to begin from the beginning again? If not, what is to say that Nash haven't already been able to do 5x15r (unknowingly) once upon a time, but no longer has the endurance for it.

 

What if, this is him beginning from the beginning, or any of us for that matter.

Nash

I filmed my last set for future reference.

 

Today: 13r, 13r, 13r, 13, 10r

Total Reps: 62

Notes:
- Didn't obey my rule of staying up until I'm sure I can do the next rep on the last 3 reps.
- Collapsed while attempting 11

- Filmed video because I'm going to incorporate some sort of shoulder strength training since obviously the pushup template doesn't work for strength deficiency. 2 years of committed effort is proof enough for me. Maybe a weight vest or incline pushups twice a week.
 

 

Coach Sommer

5x15r of pushups is hardly strength training.

These are just pushups; not an iron cross, guys. I think some of you are making your lives overly difficult by moving with an extra slow tempo and exaggerating protraction at the top of each rep. Just do good solid pushups with a reasonable tempo and move on!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Romulo

Nash, can I ask how is your nutrition? I didn´t read such a long thread, but seeing for how long you have struggled with such a simple element, are you sure you are getting enough nutrients? Sorry to say but you look very thin and weak, are you getting enough protein or other macronutrients to at least be able to fuel your workouts? 

Nash

Hi Romulo,

 

> Nash, can I ask how is your nutrition? I didn´t read such a long thread, but seeing for how long you have struggled with such a simple element, are you sure you are getting enough nutrients? 

 
You should read the thread to see how many others are also struggling with such a simple element. We like to make our lives difficult.
 
> Sorry to say but you look very thin and weak, are you getting enough protein or other macronutrients to at least be able to fuel your workouts? 
 
Can you please post a video of your last set (after doing 60 reps without rest) so I have an idea of how a healthy individual should look like at that point?
 
 
-Nash
Itamar sha'ashuaS
Coach Sommer said:

5x15r of pushups is hardly strength training.

These are just pushups; not an iron cross, guys. I think some of you are making your lives overly difficult by moving with an extra slow tempo and exaggerating protraction at the top of each rep. Just do good solid pushups with a reasonable tempo and move on!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It's good to hear that from you coach. Will definitely help with my over perfection problem  ;)

Romulo

No need to get defensive Nash. That was only an impression I had and that's why I asked about your nutrition, I also said sorry for the comment.

If you said you were vegan or similar, I wouldn't have any more questions and for me that would explain the struggle and lack of stamina.

I don't need to prove anything to you and I don't like to show off without need. I began that exercise at week 9 and mastered it in one cycle.

Good luck!

Ryan Bailey

(Regarding previous strength)

Many different entry points. 

Much different results. 

All progress. 

 

By the way, thanks Coach for the comments... I was slowing my tempo and focusing on protraction. 

Time to move to bloc 3 and get some work done!

Ryan

Nash
Romulo said:

No need to get defensive Nash. That was only an impression I had and that's why I asked about your nutrition, I also said sorry for the comment.

If you said you were vegan or similar, I wouldn't have any more questions and for me that would explain the struggle and lack of stamina.

I don't need to prove anything to you and I don't like to show off without need. I began that exercise at week 9 and mastered it in one cycle.

Good luck!

 

Romulo,

 

I was honestly asking because I'm curious of how you would look like at set 4 without looking tired and weak. I'm not sure why you took it that way. I was hoping you'd inspire us. Not show off.

 

Coach,

 

Next try I'm doing it without protraction and with not so strict of form. Thanks for the input.

Romulo

I´m nobody to give inspiration. Even if I could, that wouldn´t solve your problem. I don´t think lack of inspiration/motivation is your issue, otherwise you would have already quit with such a long plateau. But lack of nutrition might be.

 

That was only a speculation, that you haven´t answered and after such a long time with everything else being checked (the method is perfect, the previous progression was mastered, etc.), I would review my nutrition. 

 

If you think that´s spot on, just ignore my blunt speculation.

Murray Truelove

Hey Nash, can I ask how much rest are you taking between sets? Some PE-IM combinations are hell with the prescribed rest (I'm looking at you RC PE6). 

 

I know it's contrary to the course material but if I were you I'd do 5x15r taking a 3-5 minutes between sets, run that for a month or two and move on. Any sets that you fail on you simply catch your breath and finish up (say you get to 11, wait 20s then do the last 4 reps).

 

PE3 is similar enough that you'll still be working on your pushing strength. I'd even go so far as suggesting PE 4,5,6 instead and then go onto PE3. With all the work you've done here I'm sure you'd fly through the early dip progressions, why bench dips are after PPP I don't know, and only 5x10r!

Just my $0.02.

Nash
Murray Truelove said:

Hey Nash, can I ask how much rest are you taking between sets? Some PE-IM combinations are hell with the prescribed rest (I'm looking at you RC PE6). 

 

I know it's contrary to the course material but if I were you I'd do 5x15r taking a 3-5 minutes between sets, run that for a month or two and move on. Any sets that you fail on you simply catch your breath and finish up (say you get to 11, wait 20s then do the last 4 reps).

 

PE3 is similar enough that you'll still be working on your pushing strength. I'd even go so far as suggesting PE 4,5,6 instead and then go onto PE3. With all the work you've done here I'm sure you'd fly through the early dip progressions, why bench dips are after PPP I don't know, and only 5x10r!

Just my $0.02.

 

Thanks Murray.

 

Currently 0 rest. Just the 30s iM which is not that easy on the shoulders.

 

A 1-3 min rest period is one of the few things that I haven't tried yet and probably should before making any drastic changes.

 

Currently I'm revising my whole approach to fitness and fitness goals in general. Figuring out where I'd like to be in the next few years (with 45min/day of practice) and if what I've done in the last couple of years has been the optimal approach or not.

Dani88

i do not thing that extrarest is a good idea actually, because you change the aim of the exercise concerning lattacid resistance stimulation

Vytautas Pilkauskas

I sometimes take a glucose capsule when it is one exercise left until my current nemesis and I usually feel more energy to get it done until the end :)

Gordy

post-18774-0-36243200-1445295378_thumb.j

 

There are some differences between your position at the bottom of the pushup and what is in the course video (comparison attached).

  • Your hands are closer together.
  • Your forearms are less vertical.
  • Your shoulders are both vertically higher and closer to your head.
Perhaps a scapula expert can describe what is going on there. Would that be elevation and retraction? 
 
I'm no expert and only read this thread because I just started HBP/PE2 this morning, but the position in the course video looks more mechanically advantageous although I can't describe exactly why. Watching the course video, it looks like the athlete is lowering his shoulders to the ground more than his chest.
 
It still seems like it ought to be possible to get 5x15 even with imperfect form though.
Blair Norwood
Nash said:

 

Currently I'm revising my whole approach to fitness and fitness goals in general. Figuring out where I'd like to be in the next few years (with 45min/day of practice) and if what I've done in the last couple of years has been the optimal approach or not.

 

Some thoughts:

 

I was also stuck on HBP PE2 for about 18 months. I was stuck at 15,15,15,15,10-12 and just could not move past there. On one occasion I came close, at that time I was doing 7-8 sets of 10 bench press (70kg, at a body weight of 80-85kg). Then I took some time off and came back. This time I started doing HBP PE4 once a week as additional strength work and I have finally been able to past PE2.

 

I think some dedicated strength work will help, I was thinking of using dips so I decided just to do PE4 instead.

 

As for fitness goals in the next few years, I feel like once you pass these early elements progressions may become more linear. For myself I think I can make solid progress for 5x5 rep ranges. I'm 27 and hope to be finishing foundations at 30, just got to put in the ground work, which is clearly something you are willing to do.

 

I think the big thing is hitting critical mass, where you finally hit a point where you can really engage with the program, I think that getting past PE2 is where its at for HBP and I think getting pancake mobility is where its at for MN, getting shoulder mobility early in HS Once you hit that spot then you will be making serious progress, get strong, feel good, and feel satisfied. I hope that makes sense.

curtis

Nash- I'm going to echo the above comment. More volume has helped me to progress past sticking points. I'm still experimenting with finding the right amount of extra volume. It's fair to say the templates usually work just fine, until they don't. Sometimes you just need to change it up a little. Try adding 2-3 challenging sets of HBP PE4 or PE5 after your push ups. If it works for you as it has with me you will improve at two exercises simultaneously. I only concentrate move volume on one or two progressions per week since this is manageable (and enjoyable). 

Blair Norwood
curtis said:

Nash- I'm going to echo the above comment. More volume has helped me to progress past sticking points. I'm still experimenting with finding the right amount of extra volume. It's fair to say the templates usually work just fine, until they don't. Sometimes you just need to change it up a little. Try adding 2-3 challenging sets of HBP PE4 or PE5 after your push ups. If it works for you as it has with me you will improve at two exercises simultaneously. I only concentrate move volume on one or two progressions per week since this is manageable (and enjoyable). 

 

That extra volume can be rather tricky can't it. I finally settled on Mondays HBP, FL, RC and sPL then Thursday extra volume on HBP and RC. Any closer was hit and miss for me. Any later than Thursday and the next Monday suffered. I also tell myself that Thursday is late in the week so if I don't do quite as well as I'd like with my extra volume I'm just worn down from the week and I can shrug it off. I see you have optimized your timings in the past so you should be able to work out what works for you. Also you could try lots of extra volume, I was hitting HBP PE4 4x10 and RC PE3 5x10 then following up with a further 3x10 of each over then next half hour. Seemed to help a lot and I was still able to recover by Monday