This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 & HS/PE1>iM form check

Started by Hugh Wimberly, November 27, 2014 · 3 Replies · 132 Views

Hugh Wimberly

This was my final set of 5. Looking back at the course video, I don't know why I was thinking that the tripod was supposed to be done as a tuck rather than supported on knees. I can go back to doing them that way.

 

My shoulder mobility isn't great; I'm arching a little and my arms don't get back as far as I'd like. I'm not sure where the threshold is for when I can move on from this mobility element though.

 

TANSTAAFL
PE looks fine. A few things on the iM:
  1. How much weight you have on there? 3-5lbs is enough for mastery to start out, then you very gradually add more.
  2. Only 10s...I counted 30s+ there...which will make things slightly more on the extremely awful side
  3. Hands should be shoulder width; read pinky side of hand lined up with the outside of delts.
  4. The traditional first method of attack with this and similar exercises is weight up to 3-5lbs, hands out far enough to hit mastery ROM then microcycle the crap out of it, very slowly bringing your hands to mastery width. From there you add a little weight, move hands back out, rinse and repeat.
Here’s some reading pleasure. Finally got all this together in a permanent copy/paste note. These 3 are worth a full read through:
 
as well as some quotes with link backs to full post:

Keilani Gutierrez, on 02 May 2013 - 8:12 PM, said:

start wide and work your way in, my friend. 

 

this is a movement I was extremely tight in as well and there are days where I am more mobile than others. just start with a workable weight(Coach recommends 3-5 lbs to actively engage the Trapezius. 

 

Coaches athletes are crazy flexible in the video, but that doesn't mean that we can't work it up to that width, from what I've picked up from the forums, get to the point where your thumb is right in line with the outside out of your Delts. move onto PE2 but keep HS/PE1>iM in your warm up and during the course of working H1 rinse and repeat that process.

 

wide grip, move it narrow, change the weight slightly, start over. 

 

edit: for reference, I started working this with 10lbs and it sky rocketed the Trapezius engagement, but when it came down to active flexibility, it was a little heavy to move with 100% control, so i bumped it down to 6lbs until HS/PE1>iM & HS/PE2>iM get mastered and it'll be bumped up to 10lbs on both. while I work on the Dislocate elements with 6lbs. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11347-questions-on-seated-shoulder-flexion-static-form/

Adriano Augusto, on 21 Dec 2013 - 1:49 PM, said:

No, that is not enough for mastery.

 

Kimura is wrong on that. Is like you say. Shoulder width for non-dislocate elements and shoulder + one hand for dislocates. Kimura is not shoulder width in his video.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14082-another-pe1-im-thread

 

 Coach Sommer, on 01 Mar 2013 - 2:59 PM, said:

- At shoulder width to only slightly wider there is very little dislocation that is going to occur, regardless of how hard you try.  Nor is rotation something you should pursue with this particular exercise.

 

- Focus on maximizing the shoulder flexion.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Hugh Wimberly

Oh, thank you so much!

 

1. I have 4kg on there. I started with 2, but honestly I felt like I needed at least that much weight to get my shoulders to participate.

2. I felt like it was only 10, but I was waiting until it felt like I was actually getting a stretch. I think the first ~20 seconds were me trying to push my shoulders into position (though in the video, it doesn't look like there's actually much change).

3. Sure, I can work on narrowing my grip.

 

I don't see what I'm getting out of doing tripods---they're just not difficult. I can understand why I should work on the mobility element before moving on, but it feels like I should do something hard for the strength element. I'm really inclined to keep moving on to the next PE, even though the program doesn't allow that.

TANSTAAFL

The reason you shouldn't move on is to make sure your mobility stays at the same level as your strength. In the early stages it isn't such a big deal as you won't be dealing with as much stress. Later on it will mean the difference between being potentially injury free throughout your training to not if but when that injury will happen.

 

That said, I think it would be ok to play around with regular headstands and the like. I like to do straddles, upside down running man, front splits. Anything to keep me working the balance as my mobility catches up. Just make sure you can do 5x60s perfect tripod without fidgeting before you eventually move on.