This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions on seated shoulder flexion static form

Started by bgoods, May 3, 2013 · 2 Replies · 265 Views

bgoods

My shoulders are extremely tight and limited range in this movement... I can't even get the bar behind my head unless I move my hands apart in a very wide grip. My question is, should I keep them wide so that I can getting arms behind my head and gradually make the grip narrower over weeks and months? Or should I start with a narrower grip (which means i would bot br able to get my hands/as fully overhead) and try to increase the range over time?

Any guidance is much appreciated...thx

Keilani Gutierrez

start wide and work your way in, my friend. 

 

this is a movement I was extremely tight in as well and there are days where I am more mobile than others. just start with a workable weight(Coach recommends 3-5 lbs to actively engage the Trapezius. 

 

Coaches athletes are crazy flexible in the video, but that doesn't mean that we can't work it up to that width, from what I've picked up from the forums, get to the point where your thumb is right in line with the outside out of your Delts. move onto PE2 but keep HS/PE1>iM in your warm up and during the course of working H1 rinse and repeat that process.

 

wide grip, move it narrow, change the weight slightly, start over. 

 

edit: for reference, I started working this with 10lbs and it sky rocketed the Trapezius engagement, but when it came down to active flexibility, it was a little heavy to move with 100% control, so i bumped it down to 6lbs until HS/PE1>iM & HS/PE2>iM get mastered and it'll be bumped up to 10lbs on both. while I work on the Dislocate elements with 6lbs. 

FredInChina

Great post KellianiG :)