This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Seated Shoulder Flex Form Check

Started by menging, April 10, 2013 · 13 Replies · 1,514 Views

menging

Relocated.

 

Arms locked and a little over shoulder width.

 

Bar weighs 10 kgs / 22 pounds.

 

Pointers?

 

Thanks  :)

 

post-1937-0-53229200-1365601659_thumb.jp

Cannister

Looks like you should take the width down to shoulder width if you're getting that far back  with "a little over shoulder width" and just test for mastery.

menging

Thanks.

 

I measured the length between the hands to be 46 cm / 18 inches.

 

Shoulder width on the bar is something around 37 cm / 14.5 inches

 

I will move my hands to shoulder width and try next workout.

Coach Sommer

Also too much arching of the ribs/back.  Keeping the ribs pulled in and the back flat shoot another photo.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins

I dream of that ROM.

menging
Mark Collins said:

I dream of that ROM.

 

Keep working and you will get it. :)

menging

Take 2.

 

Trying to follow Coach's instructions on hollowing.

 

Also with exactly shoulder width and locked elbows.

 

post-1937-0-34335600-1365967547_thumb.jp

 

Edit: Added another photo:

 

With exaggerated hollowing.

 

post-1937-0-98453000-1366026961_thumb.jp

 

 

 

pogo69
Mark Collins said:

I dream of that ROM.

I got my boys to try HS/PE1<iM and they both practically turned themselves inside out with hands as narrow as you care to make them.  Don't know where they get it from, because I was never that mobile, even at their age?!

 

I'm on week 4; and while I'm improving very satisfactorily, I'll need every minute of the cycle to achieve mastery.

menging

Update; 

 

I've been doing it like in the photo nr.2 with the exaggerated hollowing. I feel the joint strain is minimal, but the burn in the traps is incredible! It's nok like a regular burn its the pinching type of burn. Feels good!

 

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

- Much better in photo 2!  

 

- The "burning" in the traps is a good sign that you are utilizing the correct muscles.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

Coach, question, though i have noticed growth in my Trapz, sometimes I don't feel like im working in this iM and I know that im cheating myself out of progress. 

 

to see if i get this clear, we must hollow our bodies, lean forward and remain locked in Hollow and do the prescribed shoulder action?

 

because sometimes I catch myself as I lean over, i will arch my back somewhat when i am leaning forward but when I hollow, i do not go as far forward. 

Coach Sommer

That is because allowing yourself to arch gives only the illusion of shoulder mobility.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
Coach Sommer said:

That is because allowing yourself to arch gives only the illusion of shoulder mobility.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I checked myself after your first comment, and this is definitely true for me as well. It also seems to reinforce the bad habit of arching the back when opening the  shoulders.

Eric HARDOUIN

Don't you need some kind of dorsal spine extension to fully drive your scapula while opening (flexing) shoulders ? I guess the answer says no and / or needs more complexe statement, but this is a bit misleading at first glance...Or maybe most arched back implies lombo-dorsal extension more than the upper spine...

Don't know if I'm clear, here.