Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

motivation for the taller guys

Ronnicky Roy

I myself am 6'1". By no means do I consider myself all that tall, because I played basketball growing up and I was one of the short guys. So to me anyone shorter than 6'4" is short. I'm just normal height. Anyways, to the point. I've seen several questions on this forum about gymnastics and being too tall or that it's much more difficult for tall guys. I came across a Web page where a guy compiled information on the heights of tall competitive male gymnasts at the All-American level. Several that have won titles.

Here is the list of 6-footers for the 2013 NCAA season:

U. Washington:

Jon Chapman 6’1″

Greg Steward 6’3″

Stanford:

Gabe Alvarado 6’1″

John Martin 6′

Arizona State:

Riley Barclay 6’1″

Jonah Chavez 6′

Zach Pietsch 6’2″

Air Force:

Thomas Oweida 6’1″

Illinois

Vince Smurro 6’1″

Iowa:

Eric Lofstrom 6′

Penn State:

Blake Young 6′

Navy:

Cameron Morgenweck 6′

Andrew Potts 6′

Army:

Jeremy Cahill 6′

Ian Howard 6′

Scott Warner 6′

• Upvote 6

Ivan Pavlovic

Never heard for any of them. Did any of them won a title on rings ?

Btw, topic name is motivation for tall guys so i need to mention Lachlan Walker, he is 6'1. For those who dont know who he is tipe his name on youtube. :)

• Upvote 5

They're new guys. Most are college gymnasts from 2013 season, you can Google all of them and see their roster. The guys at the end with military affiliation I'm not sure if they are in the military or at university going into the military.

Pretty cool, thanks for this. Will have some googling to do.

John Gill is also a very excellent example. Being 6"2 and 180 lbs (according to wikipedia). This guy was a great boulderer and could do impressive feats such as a one arm front lever, one arm pull ups and much much more.

• Upvote 2

Ivan Pavlovic

Francesco Antonucci, also one of tall guys. He has amazing stuff at his Youtube chanel. He is 185 cm tall (6’1 ft).

I have seen some guy at 6’1 or 6’2 doing iron cross presses a while ago on this forum, he is also a professional jevelin throw athlete, i cant remember his name right now. :(

Klemen Bobnar

Francesco Antonucci, also one of tall guys. He has amazing stuff at his Youtube chanel. He is 185 cm tall (6’1 ft).

I have seen some guy at 6’1 or 6’2 doing iron cross presses a while ago on this forum, he is also a professional jevelin throw athlete, i cant remember his name right now. :(

Andreas Thorkildsen. An incredibly impressive athlete :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ4FhmAgwM

Here he is doing a cross(bent arms if I see correctly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zEYIe0EKA

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

i am motivation too.  6.2" and progressing every day :) thanks to me and gymnasticbodies.com

Me too. All 6'2 should make a secret club.

• Upvote 2

You weren't kidding aboutFrancesco Antonucci...I just saw his Cyborg part 2 video. Was crazy lol. Went from one arm handstand into a straddle Planche then kicked up over in manna for a second.

JonasPortugal

At 186cm, which I think is 6'1 in your imperial measurement, I don't think I'm tall. What I do think is that I'm at a disadvantage, since my legs are proportionally bigger than they should be in relation to my trunk.

This makes basic exercises such as the deck squat (you roll back and then come back up) to be almost impossible for me if I don't do it from a small elevated surface (a carpet will do).

My friend, at 6'1 myself also with long legs I have to tell you it's not because the length of your legs.

It's an issue of athleticism and not being used to an exercise. I know people who are 6'6" with 3.5 feet of that height being legs who can do decksquats.

While he may not be "best" built for it, his body is fully capable.

I had issues with decksquats at first too. I stretched and relaxed my back and legs. Tried them again and like magic I could do them with no issues. Deck Squats look like nothing, but they combine several concepts all at once and any one of them can make it hard.

Unless you're on a high level advanced side lever movement having long legs will not be a big issue.

Even then if you're working on your hip flexors and Glutes like you should be the legs won't be a problem. Longer muscles are stronger muscles which is awesome for us, because our bodies requires more force output

• Upvote 1

Can one achive hypertophy by doing sets until failure (but those sets consist of 20-30 reps)-can this be effective way to achive hypertophy(I know that it is better to go to the gym and do sets of 8-12 but I do not have this options, so I am wondering if this could give me simillar effect?)

Short answer, yes. If you can hit 20- 25 reps with good form.

you will put on mass. Putting on mass however, might slow down your progress in foundation. The heavier you are is going to make each move more difficult. You will no doubt still be getting stronger though. years ago when I was playing high school basketball. I did a lot of pushups and I would move on to a harder variation the moment I could do 20 reps. I put on some good size by just doing push ups and dips. I didn't have as much knowledge on strength training as I do now so I was pretty much doing bodybuilding sets. I would be in the middle of a run for only about 2 miles when I would do a 40 yard sprints 2 pair of columns that I would knock out 30 dips on and then finish my run. I'm not sure what it is, but sprints and dips go together very well

• Upvote 1

Can one achive hypertophy by doing sets until failure (but those sets consist of 20-30 reps)-can this be effective way to achive hypertophy(I know that it is better to go to the gym and do sets of 8-12 but I do not have this options, so I am wondering if this could give me simillar effect?)

Routine advice thread

Muscle will develop overtime if you put in consistent effort.

• Like 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm 5'7-5'8 and as a smaller guy, the only motivation I get is from looking up at you all.  :icon_cool:

• 1 month later...

Guy I climbed with is 6'4 ish and can do a one armed front lever and one armed 1 fingered pull up " he has been climbing for about 8-10 years and is pretty dam skinny.

Woah, thats good to hear that a 6 above can do it. I'm standing at 6'4" and I'm a beginner. After seeing some of the handstand and manna work I was intimidated, thinking I would have to put more work into this than the regular sized guys/gals

• Upvote 1

Ninja traveller

thanks, there is certainly plenty of warm up excercises here if nothing else. I have tiny little vestigal t-rex arms, need to work on my forearm strength.