Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

motivation for the taller guys

Ronnicky Roy

By the way, I've seen Dominik Sky's other videos, and I'm wondering how he got that much muscle mass with just gymnastics at that level of progression? Not saying anything bad about his level of skill, just wondering if by then I'll gain that much.

Volume training. He's dedicated 5+ years to training. Read an article of him being interviewed where he stated he tried for the world record of most pullups in 5 hours time.

In short...it was alot. Anyways, with the rep scheme he trains at he is primed for building mass.

What's his rep scheme? Cause I'm going with 5 sets of 8 reps per variation or exercise, but I still have to figure out the correct scheme including resting times in between.

Parkerson Seward

You weren't kidding aboutFrancesco Antonucci...I just saw his Cyborg part 2 video. Was crazy lol. Went from one arm handstand into a straddle Planche then kicked up over in manna for a second.

That just blew my mind. I always used being 6'1" as my excuse, now what I am gonna do

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Gorjan Trivic

What about 6'7" and 246lbs...Is there anyone on this forum approximately with that height and weight who can do gymnastic strenght training exercises and who are not professional athlete???

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

What about 6'7" and 246lbs...Is there anyone on this forum approximately with that height and weight who can do gymnastic strenght training exercises and who are not professional athlete???

Wow that's pretty heavy! I'm 6'4" myself but I only weight 186-190.. I feel really skinny right now :) back to the topic, I've never heard of someone that heavy performing GST. Is all that weight necessary? For taller individual like us keeping a low bf% seems to be the key, sometimes even avoid getting too big muscular wise.. If I could I would for sure give away some of my inches :)

Gorjan Trivic

Wow that's pretty heavy! I'm 6'4" myself but I only weight 186-190.. I feel really skinny right now :) back to the topic, I've never heard of someone that heavy performing GST. Is all that weight necessary? For taller individual like us keeping a low bf% seems to be the key, sometimes even avoid getting too big muscular wise.. If I could I would for sure give away some of my inches :)

Actually my weight is in the range between 238 - 246lbs, and  this is the lowest weight in years...I used be on +260lbs...I have strong body frame, so with 240lbs I am looking very skinny.

I drop weight through nutrition changes (I follow Macrobiotic nutrition), in order to be able to do GST.

I'm 6'6" 205lb so it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've been making regular progress for 6 months now. I'm having a lot of fun

Its hard to imagine ever doing something like a back lever though as its the equivalent of doing like 400lb+ bent over rows... I'm not gonna give up though even if all I can ever do is swing around on the rings like a crazed monkey :o)

• Upvote 3

Michael Jordan

I'm 6'6" 205lb so it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've been making regular progress for 6 months now. I'm having a lot of fun

Its hard to imagine ever doing something like a back lever though as its the equivalent of doing like 400lb+ bent over rows... I'm not gonna give up though even if all I can ever do is swing around on the rings like a crazed monkey :o)

Progressions for which to be released in the forthcoming R5 :P

I'm pretty sure cool skills like front lever back lever straddle planche are all quite attainable for all you people at 6"6. I wouldn't worry. Just be consistent and work hard. You will develop beastly strength. Maybe not something like a Maltese "I don't know" but oh cares? Most people even under 6" won't even get a front lever let alone a Maltese because they don't put in the time and effort. Just keep going and you will get strong.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually my weight is in the range between 238 - 246lbs, and  this is the lowest weight in years...I used be on +260lbs...I have strong body frame, so with 240lbs I am looking very skinny.

I drop weight through nutrition changes (I follow Macrobiotic nutrition), in order to be able to do GST.

Went from 275 to currently being 190-195 and aiming for 170, im 6'1 btw. I was a muscular 275 (all-state football player). I have noticed that dropping fat and even some muscle has greatly helped me with this type of training. Im moving from street calisthenics to gymnastics now, and even though I lost muscle I am much stronger now than ever before. A great thing about GST is every pound of muscle on your body must be useful, otherwise it will drag you down! 

• 3 weeks later...

Please do share :) Thanks. 

Volume training. He's dedicated 5+ years to training. Read an article of him being interviewed where he stated he tried for the world record of most pullups in 5 hours time.
In short...it was alot. Anyways, with the rep scheme he trains at he is primed for building mass.

What's his rep scheme? Cause I'm going with 5 sets of 8 reps per variation or exercise, but I still have to figure out the correct scheme including resting times in between.

Ronnicky Roy

Sorry, missed the reply.

For bodyweight, 15-25 slow controlled reps for 3-5 sets gives sarcoplasmic hypertrophy fairly decently. You can also do explosive movements, doing every rep as hard as you can. For elements like pushups, 20 reps are necessary unless you add weight because the body adapts pretty quickly unless you do very slow tempo reps. For hypertrophy it's all about Time under Tension with the right intensity

Ronnicky Roy

For simple bodyweight movements, I saw best results with pullups, building to 20 reps. 30 explosive or super slow pushups, and dips building to 20 slow and controlled reps making sure to stretch the chest.

• Upvote 1

15-25 reps x 3-5 sets = 45/50+ or 15-25 reps spread out over 3-5 sets? 

Sorry, missed the reply.
For bodyweight, 15-25 slow controlled reps for 3-5 sets gives sarcoplasmic hypertrophy fairly decently. You can also do explosive movements, doing every rep as hard as you can.
For elements like pushups, 20 reps are necessary unless you add weight because the body adapts pretty quickly unless you do very slow tempo reps. For hypertrophy it's all about Time under Tension with the right intensity

For simple bodyweight movements, I saw best results with pullups, building to 20 reps. 30 explosive or super slow pushups, and dips building to 20 slow and controlled reps making sure to stretch the chest.

• 5 weeks later...
Stephan Kingma

Hi all.  I'm new here and thought I'd try out the Forum.  I'm 6'9" and I'm working my way through foundation 1.  I'm 205 pounds and in decent shape but a long way to go.  I'm on Pe3 or 4 in all 7 progressions and I'm really enjoying the added strength, and especially mobility, so far.  

Question 1.  I'm determined to use this program to get stronger and feel better, but is a side lever or hollow back press possible for someone my height and build?  Or should I just see how far I can progress?  

Question 2.  On the hbp/pe2>iM  xiaopeng forward, I'm getting a pretty nasty pop in my shoulders as I begin the backward decent.  It doesn't hurt.  If I shrug, the way you would doing weighted shoulder dislocates, it's much better.  Is it O.K to add a shrug or should I just allow my shoulder to pop and maybe it will stop eventually?

Thanks

I appreciate all the help and advice.  What a great atmosphere and encouraging forum.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Well to be honest 180 cm might be tall for a gymnast but it's a very very average height. Well I hear "tall guy" I think of someone 186 cm tall, at the very least.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Ivan Pavlovic

Dominik Starašinič now 92 kg and 182 cm tall doing some advanced stuff in video. I mentioned this guy before but i needed to post this video becouse it is so brutal. :D
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Jefferys

Good way to hurt yourself, but beastly nonetheless... Then there's FitnessFAQs (Daniel Vadnal): 

Tall, big and with heavy legs!