Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What can replace weighted single leg squats?

Hivoyer

I've been doing weighted single legs squats for a while now and I tend to stay around 50kg weight, going for 5 sets of 5.However, for specific reasons I won't have access to weights for potentially a long period of time.What can I do to replace them?I was thinking maybe somehow attaching my ankles to a box fixed to the ground and using my quads to extend my body(like a reverse hamstring raise or something) But that doesn't quite make up for it.Is there any way to make squats "heavier" without weights or is the SLS/jumping SLS the maximum?

Connor Davies

Jump for distance and height.

Coach says in BtGB he likes to have his athletes compete for distance in the traveling pistol.  Basically, you jump forward 5 times from the bottom of a one legged squat, and whoever goes the furthest wins.  But if you stumble, you have to start over again.

Do them without the weight, and keep your heel off the ground. If you need to hold onto something do so

If you do SLS this way you will increase your balance because you are strengthen your toes, ankles and the tibialis anterior.

• Like 1

well you can replace them with box jumping. ex:you get a high box or table that will be hard for you to jump on it then you just jump on it then jump to the ground. repeat

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing weighted single legs squats for a while now and I tend to stay around 50kg weight, going for 5 sets of 5.However, for specific reasons I won't have access to weights for potentially a long period of time.What can I do to replace them?I was thinking maybe somehow attaching my ankles to a box fixed to the ground and using my quads to extend my body(like a reverse hamstring raise or something) But that doesn't quite make up for it.Is there any way to make squats "heavier" without weights or is the SLS/jumping SLS the maximum?

Oh man some great ways to do this without weights are to get resistance training bands and weight the movement that way

(1) THe lifeline power jumper could possibly help a ton:  http://www.lifelineusa.com/products/portable-power-jumper.html

(2) Jut getting regular jump stretch band can work: http://www.durniatstrength.com/products/resistance-bands

(3) You could also learn how to do more challenging variation of single leg squats like the shrimp.

(4) Do hill sprints and do not worry about the weights. The strongest my legs ever got was just from sprinting and/or weighted sled pushing

Hope this helps anyone

Stay Strong guys

Jerry

(5)