This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Has anyone mastered MN/PE2 yet?

Started by Badi, September 25, 2013 · 225 Replies · 11,493 Views

Micawberian
thecolin said:

If you'll kindly stop beating that straw man you've so lovingly constructed, could you tell me if you've actually read the points I've raised? From your response you clearly haven't. Yes extreme effort is required, yes a pancake is possible, blah blah blah... that's not even slightly relevant to what I've been saying. If you want to respond to anything I've actually written, I'm happy to discuss the finer points with you.

 

I believe Coach stated at one point a while ago that a single session of ART therapy was more productive than months of traditional work. The woman in the fascial release video which I assume you're referring to went from a decent pancake to chest on the floor with a minute of physical manipulation. If you're honestly telling me that it's better spend every second of your life working on something that might be accomplished literally instantly, go nuts. Dedication is one thing, but that sounds really insane to me.

 

Obviously there isn't a magical fix for everything, the larger points you raised are still the most relevant ones in a grander context. But you're oversimplifying a complicated issue with easy one-liners and an abundance of machismo. Things in life aren't always straight forward, they may even get a bit sciencey from time to time.  :o

Hello Colin, didn't mean to offend you somehow if this is the case.

Sometimes, I pretend I'm Blairbob. What would Blairbob do, Colin? What would blairbob do...? Have people already forgotten about Blairbob? Does the post-2012 GB generation even know of Blairbob? Mark my words, Blairbob is the key to your PE2 problems. From MNPE2 to HSPE4 to RCPE1 to SLPE1...Blairbob is the answer. I'm serious okay, man. No machismo or joking one-liners or beating straw people. I'm very serious right now. The more like Blairbob you become, the more straightforward and easy foundation will become. This is a once in a lifetime experience. I speak to you as a friend and a Blairbob practioner. What would Blairbob do?

Keilani Gutierrez
Biren P. said:

Hello Colin, didn't mean to offend you somehow if this is the case.

Sometimes, I pretend I'm Blairbob. What would Blairbob do, Colin? What would blairbob do...? Have people already forgotten about Blairbob? Does the post-2012 GB generation even know of Blairbob? Mark my words, Blairbob is the key to your PE2 problems. From MNPE2 to HSPE4 to RCPE1 to SLPE1...Blairbob is the answer. I'm serious okay, man. No machismo or joking one-liners or beating straw people. I'm very serious right now. The more like Blairbob you become, the more straightforward and easy foundation will become. This is a once in a lifetime experience. I speak to you as a friend and a Blairbob practioner. What would Blairbob do?

not overthink it? 

 

 

......and then OL LIFT!

Keegan
thecolin said:

I certainly hope it's an exaggeration, that would certainly be a relief. :D

If you go back to page 7 of this thread, somebody took the time to look at how much compression is demonstrated. It's definitely way less than 90 degrees. If you sit with you legs on the ground and your back perpendicular to the ground, that's 90 degrees. Is that really what you see in the video? Though I think talking about 'degrees of compression' is a pretty odd and subjective standard.

According to the video, your thighs should pass the front of your lower body by a good margin. That's a far more easily identifiable standard.

Though as I've said all along, the problem isn't the standard. It's simply that the course doesn't supply the tools for the acquisition of that ROM at the start of manna. Those tools come along later, so one can only logically assume that is the point when straddle compression should be focused on. Otherwise those later mobility elements would become redundant.

I think I'm just not being clear enough in terms of what I mean.

The picture you are referring to shows approximately 90 (maybe a little less) degrees of hip flexion. You can tell by looking at the very bottom of the athlete's back where you can see the angle between his pelvis and thighs. The rest of the compression is occurring as a result of the lumbar spine flexing forwards towards the legs. His stomach would be nowhere close to touching the ground and his back is definitely not "straight" (though his chest is also not "collapsed" forwards, which is the result of excessive Thoracic spine flexion).

Again, this is pretty much exactly the same degree of compression as the bottom of the windmills demonstrated in PE1>iM.

By contrast look at that video posted from Kit where he does the myofascial release to the woman seated in a pancake stretch. When she lays down flat on the floor her hips are fully rotated forwards and there is no discernible angle between her pelvis and legs and as a result she has a completely flat back and is able to lay her stomach flat on the floor with her legs out to the sides.

These might be subtle and maybe unrecognizable differences unless pointed out, but they make a big difference in the degree of flexibility required.

Micawberian
KeilaniG said:

not overthink it? 

 

 

......and then OL LIFT!

Oh my lord. How could you dare to reduce the philosophy of Blairbob to a one-liner?!

RF_Guy
Biren P. said:

Oh my lord. How could you dare to reduce the philosophy of Blairbob to a one-liner?!

I obviously am missing something. I have known the guy for many years from Crossfit forum. Blairbob, Roger and Lee were only three guys who were actually trying to teach crossfit population gymnastics.

MattProulx

I am doing this element and am have not mastered it for one real reason, hip flexor strength. These are my thoughts, tight hamstrings will make this exercise harder because they are constantly pulling on the hip flexors, and if the hip flexors are weak well.. you just wont perform, now I can put my palms on the floor, and even further if I put in the effort, but I have come to realize that I am stretching my back and able to reach further now without really putting any real strain on my hamstrings, therefore I must make effort to pull myself lower on the iM, not by adding weight as some of you think, or by stretching further, but by actually pulling yourself down with your hips and holding at the bottom tight, this is not a relaxed stretch, that's my thoughts, correct me if I am wrong.

 

 

Edit: I also think with the windmills it is important to pull with the hips and stay tight, I tried some this way tonight by pulling down with my hips instead of just bending in half and I was able to not only go lower than ever, but felt a tremendous stetching in my inner hamstrings that I never felt before, and I think this is important for the straddle 

Keilani Gutierrez
Biren P. said:

Oh my lord. How could you dare to reduce the philosophy of Blairbob to a one-liner?!

it's not that hard, man. most of us are defined by a concept or central theme.  B-)

Bipocni
William said:

 

Topic was...

Has anyone mastered MN/PE2 yet?

 

does not seem to go anywhere in this discussion, hm?

Well, to answer OP's question: Yes.

 

We've had several people test for level 0.5 mastery, so clearly Coach thinks that some people can do it.

 

Whether or not they've used the form in the video, I don't know.  It would be interesting if someone who did an online level test could post their MN video in this thread.

Badi
Bipocni said:

Well, to answer OP's question: Yes.

 

We've had several people test for level 0.5 mastery, so clearly Coach thinks that some people can do it.

 

Whether or not they've used the form in the video, I don't know.  It would be interesting if someone who did an online level test could post their MN video in this thread.

 

thatis ecactly the same I am looking for =)

Just a couple of vids of people who got... but didnt have any special background... just like the most of us. ;)

thecolin
Biren P. said:

Hello Colin, didn't mean to offend you somehow if this is the case.

Sometimes, I pretend I'm Blairbob. What would Blairbob do, Colin? What would blairbob do...?

 

Don't worry about it, I'm not pissed. It's the internet, everyone seems angry on the internet.You seemed angry, I probably sounded angry, it's the way of things. I should have used more smilies, smilies solve everything. :D  :D  :D  :D   :D

 

'WWBBD?' is the question I ask myself every morning, it's the guiding principal in my life. So it's good to know you still walk with us... or straddle with us, as the case may be.

 
Keegan said:

These might be subtle and maybe unrecognizable differences unless pointed out, but they make a big difference in the degree of flexibility required.

 

Honestly, I don't even know anymore. The more I try to understand, the less I think I do!  :P

ausswe

I have to say it would be cool if someone with 0.5 qualification would post a video of their mnpe2 imitating what they did when they achieved 0.5

Murray Truelove

.... so what would Blair Bob do?

Bipocni
ausswe said:

I have to say it would be cool if someone with 0.5 qualification would post a video of their mnpe2 imitating what they did when they achieved 0.5

I don't know that Coach will be on board with that.  I mean, if he passed someone that was almost as good as the video standard, and we had proof, we would just hold that easier standard up as the new progression standard.

 

So even if it's acceptable that we don't quite reach the video, letting us know that it means we'll stop trying to get that good.

dritar

I reserve right to be totally wrong here, but I think the degree of compression is not as important as being able to the reps with consistency and good PPT and not having sunken chest. I mean, there's a big difference between starting out on this exercise and barely being able to raise the legs and all, yeah in that case it's productive to work on straddle lifts and pancake stretches and being some degrees short of the video, but ultimately if your reps look good with straight legs, pointed toes, good body line, look consistent across mastery sets but maybe the compression is not quite as much as pictured and you've been at it for months, I'd probably advance.

 

Straddle and pike compression is something that'll naturally improve with Foundation and especially with H2 work.  

 

I'd keep the movement in the warm-up repertoire though.

thecolin
Bipocni said:

 

So even if it's acceptable that we don't quite reach the video, letting us know that it means we'll stop trying to get that good.

 

Personally, I'd like to have clear goals rather than mind games.

 

 

dritar said:

 

Straddle and pike compression is something that'll naturally improve with Foundation and especially with H2 work.  

 

Your approach sounds totally reasonable to me. Officially you need to reproduce the ROM in the video, but I have yet to understand why it's needed so early in the program.

Keilani Gutierrez
thecolin said:

 

Your approach sounds totally reasonable to me. Officially you need to reproduce the ROM in the video, but I have yet to understand why it's needed so early in the program.

I have an idea why and it's on YT. notice how he presses. 

 

thecolin
KeilaniG said:

I have an idea why and it's on YT. notice how he presses. 

 

 

That's not what I said, I understand that's it's needed in the program.

howens

It's a manna preparatory elements. We cannot work on the strength part of manna, and expect to be productive, with out this level of mobility.

Micawberian

Perhaps someone could take the heuristic approach.Questioning why we would need this degree of compression this early in the program...perhaps this is the starting point of an experiment. Move on from PE2 with an average degree of compression, and see where it takes you. I would like to see this pan out. What we need is a volunteer...

thecolin
Biren P. said:

What we need is a volunteer...

WWBBD?

Micawberian
thecolin said:

WWBBD?

B-)

 

I'm on it.

mitko

Nobody said that Foundation goes from easy to hard. Just look at the HBP PE going from PPP to Dips. It does make sense to work on active flexibility MN/PE2,3 and then to start working on strength using the active flexibility developed with PE2,3.

 

That being said the program does look a bit over simplified for most people. I am so ridiculously unprepared for MN/PE2 that I am trying to develop my own progressions, because working on the actual element does not seem to bring my any progress.

RF_Guy

Perhaps someone could take the heuristic approach.Questioning why we would need this degree of compression this early in the program...perhaps this is the starting point of an experiment. Move on from PE2 with an average degree of compression, and see where it takes you. I would like to see this pan out. What we need is a volunteer...

Already on it. Currently PE3 week 5.

Bipocni
Biren P. said:

Perhaps someone could take the heuristic approach.Questioning why we would need this degree of compression this early in the program...perhaps this is the starting point of an experiment. Move on from PE2 with an average degree of compression, and see where it takes you. I would like to see this pan out. What we need is a volunteer...

I think it's come up in this thread.  Basically if you don't build up the technique at the earlier progressions, you will stall out later in the program.

Keegan
Biren P. said:

Perhaps someone could take the heuristic approach.Questioning why we would need this degree of compression this early in the program...perhaps this is the starting point of an experiment. Move on from PE2 with an average degree of compression, and see where it takes you. I would like to see this pan out. What we need is a volunteer...

Didn't Ravn recently make a thread where he had hit a seemingly impassable wall in the MN progressions and it was eventually decided on that it was because he had not correctly mastered MN PE2 and PE3?

I might be wrong though, so Ravn can correct me if I'm mistaken.