Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do Static exercises build muscle?

Shia

I'm currently working on static exercises primarily to get a base of strength before progressing, but I don't want to lose my muscle I have gained by previously lifting weights (which I have stopped because, lets be honest, gymnastics is much more fun and prolific)

Will I lose muscle mass just doing static exercises like handstands, planches, etc?

Connor Davies

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You should always pair static and dynamic exercises of the same type.  Straight arm strength does little to promote hypertrophy and you will advance more quickly if you include relevant bent arm strength.

Do both.

Joshua Slocum

Static exercises can definitely build muscle, but for best strength development, you're going to want to be doing dynamic exercises as well. 

If you follow the Foundation Series or the Kilroy template for programming (Foundation being the vastly superior option), you'll find that you gain mass over time (unless you already look like a body-builder). 

Thanks guys!

So dynamic exercises would be pull ups, dips and such?

I plan on supplementing my static exercises with relevant exercises, such as front levers with pull ups after, handstands with dips after, planches with push ups, etc.

Is this what you guys are getting at ?

Joshua Slocum

Thanks guys!

So dynamic exercises would be pull ups, dips and such?

I plan on supplementing my static exercises with relevant exercises, such as front levers with pull ups after, handstands with dips after, planches with push ups, etc.

Is this what you guys are getting at ?

Yes, precisely.

I would repeat my previous recommendation of following Foundation programming (or Killroy, if you're on a very tight budget). There's little reason to try to figure this stuff out on your own when other people have already figured out what works well. Foundation 1 can be purchased here; the killroy template can be viewed here. And here is a comparison of the benefits of each. 

• Upvote 1

Tyler Gibson

There are a couple of body builders over on the tnation.com forum that swear that front lever training made a huge difference in their lat development. They're probably a few of the only people who use a gymnastics static hold primarily as a hypertrophy tool.