Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Killroy70 or Foundation 1

Hans magne Kleiva

Hans magne Kleiva

Hello!

I'm knew to gymnatics, but not to training. Mainly trained for powerlifting and martial arts before.

Started out implementing some L-sit's and frog stands and so on, and found the killroy template on this site just a couple of weeks ago.

Question is as the topic implies, which will give me the best results? +/- or advantages over one or the other would be very nice:)

Taking I know the basics, and that I allready have many years of training experience.

Probably going to buy F1 anyways next paycheck just to support the site, but would be nice to know what I could get out of it..

Joshua Slocum

Foundation 1 will give vastly superior results. 

Advantages to Killroy template:

- Free

- Only requires rings 

Advantages to Foundation:

- Comes with integrated mobility work

- Programming laid out more clearly

- More in depth progressions

- More clearly defined metrics of progress

- More people on here seem to be doing it, so you'll have more company

- Proper progressions and mobility work mean less chance of injury. 

(For reference to anyone reading, the killroy template is here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1532-killroy-70-beginner-template/ )

• Upvote 5

Hans magne Kleiva

Thanks Hari!

This looks like a no-brainer;)

Seems like I had the wrong idea about F1 being a basics book.

Will buy for sure.

Alessandro Mainente

i think that the killroy template wich is something very similar of what you can find  in BtGB is very good if you have mastered some basic exercises.

So for example you can't insert a multiplanework for pushing if you don't have a decent horizzontal and verical press strenght and the same thing is valid for pulling.

If you read the BtGB coach talks about insert also a cpp movemnt (combined pullpress movements) but is not helpful if you don't have a basic strength in  pull movement.

So to be approached and have the best result this template requires some skills, F1 gives to you that skills.

So...founfation 1 wins again! :-)

Joshua Slocum

Thanks Hari!

This looks like a no-brainer;)

Seems like I had the wrong idea about F1 being a basics book.

Will buy for sure.

Hmm, my post may have been a bit misleading. Foundation 1 is a basics book, in the sense that the exercises it covers are not very advanced. The foundation series as a whole takes you through some of the more advanced skills, such as manna and straddle planche. 

Don't let yourself be tempted to just skip over F1, though. Mastery (or lack thereof) of the basics is a strong factor in determining how far you'll be able to progress further on. It's important to keep in mind that there is often a very wide gap between which exercises you are physically capable of performing, and which exercises you will get the most benefit out of training. Or, put another way, there's a big difference between being able to do an exercise, and being so good at an exercise that training it is no longer worth your time. 

• Upvote 1

Hans magne Kleiva

Thank you for you post Alex.

I am able to follow the progression in BtGB on all exercises, maybe with a couple of exceptions

This made me considering that the Handstand 1 book would compliment me better.

Hari; See what you meen, I will put some thought into it;)

As you may understand, economics arent too good at the moment. So for now I will buy just one or the other.
Just gotta make my mind up first! hehe

Karri Kytömaa

I think this again is a question about goals. If you plan on getting couple of cool party tricks, like BL, FL, maybe even V-sit, killroy template might be able to give it to you faster because it's pretty much dedicated to it.

Foundation (especially F1) on the other hand builds you a foundation brick by brick which enables you to aim for any higher goals, also advanced ring strength elements. 

It's always funny thing about gymnastics that we are building the foundation, that is learning 7 fundamental static positions which already require higher strength to weight ratio than about any training people do. And yet we are only in the beginning.

Is that beginning enough or do you aim higher? Good foundation is a big factor there.

That said, when the choice is HS1...  :lol:  I'd almost suggest going with it since it probably gives more know-how in comparison to F1.

Hans magne Kleiva

Hehe, thanks for your input Flameous, very nice! Guess I'm more of a party-tricks kinda guy^^

The plan will be to stick with Killroy's for a 8-12weeks cycle, and take it from there.

I will probably buy both books sooner or later anyways though^^ As for now, HS1 first in a couple of weeks.

Jean-Rene Losier

yeah, if all you want is be flashy, then going the killroy road would suit you just fine in my opinion. But if you want an overall better funtionning, and stronger body, I'd go with F1 ( with the rest of the series to come ). That's just my opinion though.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Foundation 1 will give vastly superior results. 

Advantages to Killroy template:

- Free

- Only requires rings 

Advantages to Foundation:

- Comes with integrated mobility work

- Programming laid out more clearly

- More in depth progressions

- More clearly defined metrics of progress

- More people on here seem to be doing it, so you'll have more company

- Proper progressions and mobility work mean less chance of injury. 

(For reference to anyone reading, the killroy template is here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/1532-killroy-70-beginner-template/ )

Good comparison chart, nicely done Hari Seldon.

Even board member Killroy70 is following F1 programming if I remember correctly :)