This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Online Coaching & Testing

Started by Cole Dano, February 3, 2013 · 124 Replies · 349 Views

Cole Dano
Nic Branson said:

Well the tickets would basically be giving somebody the "equivalent" of a level test for a single element. Good / Bad and fix X or work on X type of deal. One shot evaluation of their choice.

right. But I'm thinking they could also be used by the person having a real hard time with some element as well for some advice on what to do. I'm not sure how that use would affect your idea of price.

Nic Branson said:

I like the 3 for 25 and 7 for 50 idea. (50 was chosing as that's the number Coach threw out so I ran with it unless we decide otherwise)

Me too

Nic Branson said:

The 7 plus level test has some possiblities. Could be used by people who are struggling in one or two areas to finish prep work before submitting a full test.

Sure and if it doesn't seem like a good idea we can scrap it. This is all just brainstorming.

Nic Branson

Here's my thought. You have a problem with an element. You use a ticket and send me a video. I look at it and send you back an analysis of it. What's right and what needs work. Just telling them what's wrong is not exactly helpful, especially for this type of service. I would offer them advice on how best to proceed and improve what needs working on. The caveat being that this is not 3 months of dialog and videos as that is another service. Certainly enough to clarify any questions they would have on advice given.

 

We definitely want to over deliver, especially on these services. Keeping it fair all sides is the fine line.

Cole Dano

Same as I'm thinking. And having the tiers of service available should also help make that clear.

 

In the interest of keeping it fair, if someone needed more help but not enough to warrant a 3 month would you request they 'spend' another ticket? 

Nic Branson

I would say it depends on the situation. If it's going to take a month and they feel like they need to send weekly videos for analysis then that's going a bit beyond one ticket I would say.

Cole Dano

I would too at that price. Each video submission could be a ticket? It's less than $10 a submission.

Nic Branson

Exactly. The price point is so low I don't think multiple videos should be allowed. Exception ofcourse being, asking for another angle etc.

Nic Branson

Well that shows how good the price we are considering really is.

Nic Branson

Testing is another thing we need to clear up.

 

Watching all movements for a particular element. So 3 for each .5 level right now for each skill. Plus their movement requirements. How are we billing this? Do we charge by .5 level for viewing 21 videos plus IM?

Cole Dano

Yes sorry Coach, I have no idea how I also totally misunderstood. I'd been thinking just the elements in the chart were to be sent in for approval. But am I clear here, is it just one set of that needs to be videoed?

Nic Branson

As we're teasing this any thoughts on billing etc.

At .5 level increments that would be 21 videos which depending on level and filming could be 20-30min of viewing time. I do think the amount of filming will create a limit on the amount of people to pursue level testing as it is quite a bit.

Cole Dano

To help with the sheer volume of videos that would be submitted at once:

 

- Sell the level test as a package

 

- Package would include one video submission for each step towards next level, plus x retests

 

- Each element can be submitted separately, one step at a time

 

Pros:

 

- This will also save the trainee the frustration of potentially failing an element they worked on long ago 

 

- Saves the video judges eye from glassing over

 

Cons:

 

- Requires careful record keeping on our part; read more work for Cory

 

- Will take more of the judges time overall 

 

Afterthought:

 

- If we go this way, would there be a good way to tie this to critique coaching in both price and function?

Nic Branson

It's similar to the ticket idea for video critiques. 1 ticket for test or critique basically. Aside from record keeping the only thing I see here is the concern of somone decided to send for example one element a month for testing and having the full test take them 6-7months. I'm not sure this is a bad thing as I feel anyone testing would be striving to move up. It might actually be motivating, especially as they see the forum level as .5 for example yet they know they tested their strong point at 2. It really puts into perspective where they need to work to get balanced.

 

I'm sure we could gen a spread sheet for tracking individuals and their tested levels.

 

If we took that approach do we go with 7 video's for $50? As the base price?

Cole Dano

We could use the tickets as one way to do tests e.g. 7 for $50

 

And then maybe a full 0.5 level package as well?

 

Don't want to say anything specific on the prices other than it can't be too expensive, and/or we need to really provide great service to make the price worth it.

Nic Branson

Yeah, just ball parking figures for the sake of discussion not trying to finalize until the system itself has been nailed down.

Cole Dano

Ok -

 

So yes, In a way it's the same idea as we have already been discussing. 

 

Only dividing the level test into each single video (42 single videos for Lv.5) which can be submitted individually as a trainee completes them. Rather than a single bulk submission. 

 

Purchase plans -

 

- 'ticket' package (tickets can also be used for pre-reivew, critique, and limited specific element coaching

 

- level test pkg (allows submission of one video for each element plus x (say 5) re-tests)

 

and for discussion purposes

 

- deluxe package (level test plus limited specific element coaching for x elements)

Nic Branson

The ticket package sounds good.

 

Level test package I might limit the re-test to 2-3 because this should be their best effort. Not something they can throw videos at hoping they pass.

 

The deluxe package has potential. Like a lower end Coaching plan. Get critiques do some work then send in the test.

Cole Dano

I threw the re-test in there because I thought the original idea was to offer the test w/ ability to retest w/in 30 days, we could phrase it in such a way that people aren't tempted to abuse the system. 

 

Or if you are worried, not have the option specified at all. But the judge could give a retest at their discretion for example?

Nic Branson

I like them having the option just not in a way that could be abused.

 

That's a possiblity.

Cole Dano

That thread is the perfect opportunity. It's Coach's call.

Nic Branson

That was my thinking also Cole.

Coach Sommer

- Sorry for being behind the curve, guys!

 

- Can someone give me a rundown of the online coaching format as it currently stands?

 

- One thing that I noticed is that retests should be limited to one.  If they are not ready, then they should not test.  Also allowing and managing a large number of free re-tests will quite quickly become a logistical nightmare.

Nic Branson

How dare you work on getting the material ready :P

 

We're working on some ideas.

 

We have the larger full service testing and vidoe review, weekly talks, etc plan.

 

A second possiblity that is for one time video reviews for form checks and advice on particular elements. Not testing.

 

Then the testing. Filming at .5 level intervals would help manage the amount of videos that need to be viewed at once by the coach. Still a substantial amount but more reasonable to manage. I'm all for one re-test, I do not want people using testing as video review sessions and hoping to get lucky. Only take it when you are serious about passing it.

 

Prices were not mentioned as we want to settle on the formatting then discuss pricing.

Coach Sommer

On skimming the thread, I noted that a variety of packages or tickets were mentioned.  Could you expand on these?