This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mn/pe2 Mastery

Started by Sven Ravnstag, February 11, 2013 · 15 Replies · 764 Views

Sven Ravnstag

For step two in the Manna progression, the I structions state that one should sit up as far as possible without caving in at the chest. I'm able to perform the move for the prescribed reps, however my ROM is somewhat limited compared to the example video (mostly the straddle leg raise portion).

Is it best to continue performing 5X15 as my flexibility increases, or should I move on to MN/ PE3 if I can perform that reps within the context of my current flexibility?

Tomas Johansson

I'm also looking forward to an answer to this, I'm in a similar boat.

Gray

You can move on with the PE if you've mastered the strength and mobility excersise.

Rule of thumb to Foundation One - "Don't add strength to disfunction". Work on mobility, then work on both of them in next PE.

Sven Ravnstag
Gray said:

You can move on with the PE if you've mastered the strength and mobility excersise.

Rule of thumb to Foundation One - "Don't add strength to disfunction". Work on mobility, then work on both of them in next PE.

Thank you; I understand the basic concept of mastering a given move and its associated mobility drill before moving on.  My question pertains to a specific component of the exercise, and one which is not directly addressed in the "Key Notes" shown below each move.  

 

The instructions say to sit up as far as possible without allowing the chest to cave in; they don't specify (at least nowhere that I've seen) whether or not one's flexibility/ROM with the legs needs to be as great as demonstrated in the video before moving on.  I'm not able to bring my legs up nearly as high as demonstrated in the video (although I am able to spread them to the 90 degree angle someone mentioned was appropriate for this move), although I'm able to do the ROM my flexibility will allow (sitting all the way up, albeit with legs closer to parallel than perpendicular to the ground) for the required reps without difficult.

 

Is it best to simply keep performing 5X15 twice weekly, attempting to raise my legs higher each time?

Keilani Gutierrez

take what I say with a grain of salt and please, take a more experienced forum member/coach recommendations over mine if they do not point in the same direction. 

 

assuming you're working on Straddle Hollow Hold/Rocks, the same time you're working on this element, your hip flexors will get a nice amount of static/dynamic strength to make them look nicer than what they originally did. filming yourself and getting help from the  forum members is also a plus you have to your advantage

edna

I am doing PE1. I can't imagine being able to do at all well in PE2 without a lot of supplementary work to reach the level shown in the video.

 

To me, PE2 is pretty advanced.

 

If really concentrating on PE1 gets me there, I will be pretty surprised.

 

I am sure there are lots of people in my situation, just way too tight to be able to get much height in the legs... is supplementary work for this and specific stretching advisable? I am interested if anyone can offer a routine or guidance on this? I guess the future stretch book will cover this.

 

Anyway, pe1 for me :unsure: so less talk more work.

Cole Dano

One very simple drill you can try.

 

- Put your feet on a wall with your legs straddled to the proper final position

 

- Hands behind for support

 

- Alternate between sitting higher and lifting feet off the wall

spyro7800

I am also worried about Mn/Pe2...I am running minicycle now with Mn/PE1 and in 2 weeks I will start with Mn/PE2, but I can't really lift my legs in straddled position high enough.

 

Cole can you explain more the drill?

 

Any other ideas how to improve? Or will it just take time practicing Mn/PE2 and after few weeks I will be lifting my legs higher?

Sven Ravnstag

I'm wondering if body proportions have anything to do with this.  I'm certainly not looking to make excuses, but I'm curious what (if any) impact this might have.

 

In my case, my torso is quite long and my legs relatively short.  I imagine this might affect the amount of torso flexion required to achieve something like a proper MN/PE2, or the amount of forward lean to get the hands "just in front of the hips" with the PL lean.  Does this call for any modification in training/mastery expectations, or is it just a matter of working with it to develop the ROM and strength necessary?

Keilani Gutierrez

yes and no, i would suspect. doing straddle ups will improve your straddle up form and excecution, yet working the tuck ups before hand will help with hip flexor endurance/power and ab endurance/power. 

 

it's also hard to say what would be better for you, since we don't have a video to base ourselves on. if your legs are bending, its too soon. if you're not getting to a 90degree angle in relation to your body, its too soon. if you're not upright and your legs not somewhat upright as well, in general, its too soon. 

 

all the aforementioned, are criteria i used from the video on myself checking myself in my mirror in my room. hope this can help :)

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks again everyone.  Here is a video of my MN/PE2 efforts.  I can do more reps with similar quality; this particular video was for demonstration purposes.

 

MN/PE2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYW4IsWxKU&feature=youtu.be

 

 

 

While we're at it, any advice on the following progressions would be much appreciated as well:

 

sPL/PE5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOna6OcCHs&feature=youtu.be

 

  I find I tend to want to go hyperlordotic on these, and that I have to put forth a fair amount of effort to keep the hips tucked under.  I also caught myself piking a little too much at the hips as a result of these efforts, but I think I mostly resolved that issue in this video.

 

HPB/PE3:  http://youtu.be/6GuH1snGq_E

 

 

RC/PE3:  http://youtu.be/WWJwjTUbfAg

Same issue trying to keep the lumbar lordosis under control.  Also not sure if I should be able pulling higher.  My shoulders don't touch the rings, but I'm pulling to my end ROM.

 

*I don't have a lot of experience with uploading videos to forums.  I thought the "link" option would just insert hyperlinks into the post.  Not sure if having the videos display like this is taking up a lot of the site's bandwidth; if so I'll be happy to take them down and try a different method.

Coach Sommer

- All F1 related youtube videos should be marked as private.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sven Ravnstag

Noted and addressed.  Thank you!

 

chobbs

Did you mean "Unlisted" instead, coach? If the videos are listed as private we would have to add youtube accounts that are allowed to view the video. Whereas unlisted would allow the folks who have the link, e.g. folks who have access to this forum (thus have purchased F1) to view the material. If "Private" was intended, how do we handle the list of users who can view the content?

 

- Chris

Nic Branson

Unlisted is the intent. Only those with F1 and looking here could view them.

Sven Ravnstag

Alright I'll change them again.  I thought I had them marked as unlisted, but apparently the preference change didn't save.

 

While we're on the topic, is this the correct/preferred format for posting videos for review?  My impression is that the testing section (once it's open) will be for demonstrating mastery only.  Should basic questions on form be posted as I have above?

 

Thanks everybody.  I'll be compliant once I've figured out all the rules/etiquette. I appreciate everyone's patience.