This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Online Coaching & Testing

Started by Cole Dano, February 3, 2013 · 124 Replies · 349 Views

Cole Dano

Coach Sommer

- Cory and I had some preliminary discussion last night regarding how to handle testing (a separate fee and graduate studies section), but came to no clear decisions.

 

 

Nic Branson

Testing hmm. I think the distinction between level testing and certification needs to be clear also.

Coach Sommer

- Like yourself, not quite clear yet on testing specifics.  Perhaps a subscrition fee to cover the cost of coaching interaction in addition to a testing fee? 

 

Noc Branson

The certication forum is great for those certified to discuss teaching issues etc.

 

Do we have a vision on how wide spread we want the certifcation. Too much and we risk losing some quality, not an option IMO. Or is it more tiered as passing each level naturally limites how many instructors are out there. More level 1 then 2 etc.

 

I'm not sure 3-4 is too many. These are people teaching your system, representing you. So you need to be comfortable. It could be a level 1 instructor needs 2 seminars and above that is invite only for awhile for example. Or the 3rd and 4th seminar is what opens up the other levels. I'm not sure just tossing ideas out right now so we think on stuff.

Nic Branson

 

Danger becomes where do we cut off coaching interaction. For example do I only answer questions about X in this forum but not about Y for that you have to pay. Could be a bit subjective.

 

I think the online coaching will cover individualized work which is what I would limit from the forums. Keep the specifc forums limited to product pruchase. Prehaps a fee for Grad studies for those who want seminar discussion but cannot actually make the seminars. So they can see the latest and greatest etc.

 

Testing Fee yes for coaching time and to make sure they are invested in it also.

 

 

Coach Sommer

- Pehaps two tiers of online coaching with different prices?  A minimal level of interaction for simple testing and ranking along with a 'premium' which provides full programming, weekly video review and skype conference.

 

 

Nic Branson

 

I can see that.

 

Tier 1. Testing video review and critique. Basicall Pass Fail, fix X

 

Tier 2. Full programming assistance and support for continued progress and individualized needs.

 

Coach Sommer

 

- Cost for premium online coaching is $300/month with 3 months paid up front.

 

- Thoughts on what is an appropriate fee for regular online coaching (needs a better title) composed of level evaluation and minimum interaction.

 

Nic Branson

Maybe the Tier 1 Online Coaching is merely for testing video submission and covered under testing fee? Or video analysis?

 

Coach Sommer

- So perhaps the Tier 1 Online Coaching is a per use fee of $50 with half going to the staff evaluating the student and half to GB?

 

Nic

Something along those lines yes. Re-test included if you fail your first try.

 

Coach

 

- Nic, as you will be the primary guy in charge of online coaching, are you ok will re-evaluating them as a part of the same testing fee if they fail?

 

- Rank testing is included in Tier Two Online Coaching.

 

Nic

 

I would think to re-evaluate the same test they would get one for free to fix anything minor if done within say 30days of the first test. Bit of an ease of mind for the student purchasing.

 

I absolutely want everyone to feel they get more than their monies worth out of everything here.

 

 

Cole Dano

Looking at the nature of the questions coming in now I almost wonder if a new tier of OLC would be advisable.

 

Not sure what to call it Form Guidance?

 

Maybe something like 6 months x-$ & y-# of video consults on are you doing the exercise correctly.

Coach Sommer

Very interesting idea.  Good thinking!

Nic Branson

That could be a very good idea. I think it would pretty popular also.

 

Where do we cut off how much instruction we give here for example to keep it differentiated enough from full coaching.

 

I really think this has good possibilities Cole.

Cole Dano

Online Coaching I think of as complete handholding, lots of support.

 

This would be quicker,

- look at the video,

- confirm it's good or not, give a little advice if not.

 

It could even be just a one time deal or buy a pkg.

- number of the package should match the program

 

If they keep having problems - refer them to full coaching

 

I actually think with this particular program this kind of coaching could be very valuable.

 

Essentially, anything that when you read the post you think, hey I need a video, would fit here.

 

Anything where after the video you think, hey you need a lot of help would be full coaching?

 

It give trainees the chance for official assessment w/o needing to test.

Cory Fair

We could do it simply as consultation credits that expire after 6 months.

 

Scenario: Member purchases a pack of 5 credits. They can use them to receive form checks on 5 preparatory or mobility elements or any combination. They submit a video for the credit, the OLC says yay/nay and gives 3-5 points of feedback. Member can submit a single video after corrections and the OLC gives a yay/nay and 1-2 additional points. Further aid would use another credit. Easy to do with a dedicated forum.

 

This should require minimal time on the OLC as it's not meant to be an essay, just corrections.

 

Perhaps then 3 tiers:

 

1) Form Credit packs (5, 10, etc.)

2) GS Subscription becomes X form credits + 2 Level Tests + Certification Prep/Theory

3) OLC remains as-is

Nic Branson

Hugely valuable.

 

Yes, no, fix x etc. That would work.

 

Guidance on what is being reviewed in the video for form concerns.

Nic Branson

I like your thinking with the credits Cory. We would just need a way to track them easily.

Cole Dano

Yes!

 

Only thing I would want to think out loud on the Cert Prep, are we ready to go down that road yet.

Nic Branson

I'm not sure we are looking to cert that many people just yet. Many details to hammer out to get to the stage of a prep support for it.

Really level testing is a big prep before getting to assistant instructing and actually being able to look at and judge somebodies form, then offer corrections as needed. I know Coach is, but I am extremely picky of any trainers who are working under me.

Cory Fair
Cole Dano said:

Yes!

 

Only thing I would want to think out loud on the Cert Prep, are we ready to go down that road yet.

 

Likely not, but I couldn't think of a better term for the philosophizing or in-depth discussion that could go with GS. 

Cole Dano

Perhaps then 2 tiers?:


 


1) Form/LevelTest Credit packs (5, 10, etc.) Level Test = 2 credits


3) OLC remains as-is

Cole Dano

On GS I'm being the odd man out, in that I think we should change the term to Course Study and let go entirely of the subscription idea.

 

GS could come latter, when there start to be Certified Coaches, for example. I know Nic, and I think that needs to move at a slower pace. I'm not sure exactly how Coach sees it, but I'm hoping the Courses are still # 1.

 

It takes a few years at least to develop a beginning trainer, if you hold to any standard.

Nic Branson
Cole Dano said:

Perhaps then 2 tiers?:

 

1) Form/LevelTest Credit packs (5, 10, etc.) Level Test = 2 credits

3) OLC remains as-is

Based on current plans a single credit would then cost $25 as right now level testing is 50 with one restest within 30days upon failure.

Cole Dano

Do you guys think those are good prices?

Nic Branson

They need to be affordable but also high enough to show that the purchaser is invested in it and not wasting our time.

 

There is also the added aspect that as silly as it may seem there is a stigma that cost also equals how valuable something is. Higher price must mean it is better. I don't agree with that, just tossing it out there.

Cole Dano

You evaded the question ;)

Nic Branson
Cole Dano said:

You evaded the question ;)

bah! You caught me lol

 

I don't think it is a bad price point. I'm still mulling it over. My concern right now is how we would go about tracking the credits somone has.

Cole Dano

That's Cory's department, since he suggested it, I imagine he has a solution in mind.

I'm sure he'll chime in when he has a moment to breathe.

Nic Branson

Yeah I'm sure he is swamped. See what Coach is thinking also.

Cole Dano
Nic Branson said:

See what Coach is thinking also.

 

That goes with out saying. I suspect he's following this closely.

Cole Dano

Level Test

 

- Seven Tested Elements

- Seven iM Elements

 

(what kind of feed back?

Is it just pass or fail, will there be a why and what to do if you fail given?)

 

We are looking at 14 tested items plus some sort of feed back.

 

Compared to the Technique Coaching being only one w/ feedback

 

What if we sold Technique Coaching as Cory suggested in packs of tickets.

 

To start narrowing price down -

7 tickets priced the same as a level test might be reasonable. It's basically twice the price of level testing from the number of elements pov.

 

Maybe to warm people to the idea, add one or two ticket to the original purchase of a Course. This could be a limited time offer.

Nic Branson

For the level test it would pass/fail and a why with correction so they could attempt a retest of the given element. Correction being for minor issues.

 

So you're thinking $50 for 7 tickets? Would that be the minimum package? Or would we want say a 3 tickets for $25. Basically they get a better deal with a bonus ticket for $50.

Cole Dano

I'm not really settled on anything just threw out what seemed like a logical base to start from. Since you are doing the leg work, I'm sure you have a better idea how to value the two relative to each other.

 

I like the idea of packages Cory threw out, and your idea

 

Maybe?

 

pkg

 

1) 3 tickets

 

2) 7 tickets

 

3) 7 tickets + level test

 

4) 14 tickets + 2 level test (enough for one course)

 

We could even bundle these into the Courses

 

Foundations 1 + pkg 4)

Nic Branson

Well the tickets would basically be giving somebody the "equivalent" of a level test for a single element. Good / Bad and fix X or work on X type of deal. One shot evaluation of their choice.

 

I like the 3 for 25 and 7 for 50 idea. (50 was chosing as that's the number Coach threw out so I ran with it unless we decide otherwise)

 

The 7 plus level test has some possiblities. Could be used by people who are struggling in one or two areas to finish prep work before submitting a full test.