Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche/fl/bl/sl Training: Ankle Weights Vs. Weighted Vest Vs. Resistance Bands

Paolo

I know that they each serve a different purpose, but which of these three piece of equipment is more superior to planche training - ankle weights or weighted vest or resistance bands?

For ankle weights, the resistance is farther from my center of gravity making it appear to be more difficult. These would engage my posterior muscles much more in turn making my shoulders work harder. They are also a cheaper alternative. However the risk of arching my back  ncreases significantly, which could prevent proper scapular activation. Right now, I just bought some 2 lb ankle weights (1 lb per ankle) for only $8. I am currently using them for the half lay straddle planche and half lay planche. I'll probably start experimenting with the straddle planche soon. I might combine my shoes next time too! Combined, they weigh 2.4 lbs. 

I can hold a HL PL for 8 seconds, un-weighted, but with 2 lbs, it is cut down to only 3-4 seconds.

On the other hand, the weighted vest is directly above your center of gravity. This will target the various muscles (which I can't list because I don't know) in your shoulders more heavily. Could a WV make the planche "easier" because it will act as a counterweight similar to two people performing the "human scale"?

I think resistance bands are similar to weighted vests, but give more "leeway" due to their stretchy characteristics, so it wouldn't be as effective. I wonder if WV would be more effective than RB for scapular push ups as well. 

Well actually, I think WV would be more effective. It's just my gut feeling telling me that a WV is more effective. However it is much more expensive :/

Or if I have the money buy ALL of them!  :icon_twisted:

Oh and this question also applies to the levers as well! 

Btw, do you guys think this post should belong in Equipment instead of Skill Development? Because I realized now that I made an error in judgement creating this thread in this sub-forum. 

Ankle weights should be superior for planche/lever training since the weight is far behind your COG. Weighted vest would make it harder than unweighted since the weight is still close to your COG and thus not much counterbalance, but it is easier than with ankle weights. Ankle weights would also stress your core more too.

Samuli Jyrkinen

My opinion:

Front Lever: ankle weights after mastering the full lay FL. I don't think the other tools are really necessary because there are enough progressions for the full lay FL.

Planche: Resistance bands for assistance for beginners before they're capable of performing a proper tuck planche with correctly protracted scapula and body alignment. Not sure if anyone needs external resistance after the long road of mastering the full PL but those who do excel that far(like OP), ankle weights probably are the best external tool.

Joshua Slocum

Weights are really not necessary for the planche. Unless you're doing full-lay erbs on rings for reps, there's still room for growth with just your bodyweight.