Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How To Combine Calisthenics, Kickboxing And Ring Work?

Amadeu Andrade

Amadeu Andrade

Hi guys! I'm new here, 22 years old, from Portugal.

I do kickboxing 3x a week and I am part of a team of calisthenics (Kickboxing: monday, wednesday, friday).

By being part of the team I have to train my endurance (high reps @ pullups, dips, pushups, muscle ups ...).

For power I do Squat and Deadlift.

Can you help me try to combine all this with the initiation in the rings?

Best regards,

David McManamon

So how much time do you have to train?  

Just add 3x per week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) ring training and rest one day.  Cardio and leg work is great for helping your upper body to recover from the rings workout by increasing your heart rate.  Generally, high reps are not as effective for building strength but probably more important than the number of reps is the simple fact that the ring training exercises are hugely effective at building upper body strength.  

Combining these you would be exercising and strengthening your core 6x per week so your kicks would have a lot of power.

Amadeu Andrade
So how much time do you have to train?  

Just add 3x per week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) ring training and rest one day.  Cardio and leg work is great for helping your upper body to recover from the rings workout by increasing your heart rate.  Generally, high reps are not as effective for building strength but probably more important than the number of reps is the simple fact that the ring training exercises are hugely effective at building upper body strength.  

Combining these you would be exercising and strengthening your core 6x per week so your kicks would have a lot of power.

Right now I can do:

Muscle ups (bar and rings)

All kind of Dips (bulgarian, korean, russian, PB Dips, SB Dips)

All kind of Pullups (including the one arm chinup)

Single Leg Squat with weight added

Max Reps:

Pullups: 30

PB Dips: 50

Pushups: 75

BL: Tuck BL

FL: One Leg FL

HS: Only with wall

PL: I never trained

My next goal is to do FL, BL and free HS.

I have plenty of time. I can train twice a day.

Rings first, then high reps on the bar (circuits, pyramids, ladders...)? At the same workout? Or split morning and afternoon?

Larry Roseman

How's your core strength currently? 

I'd recommend you start with the prerequisites which you should be able to master quickly. Look for threads

on those prerequisites in this subject. Mainly you'll want to get to 60 seconds of a number of fundamental static positions (FSP) before you start training BL, FL and HS.  

HS can be trained 5 days a week if desired.

If your Kickboxing is mostly legs, you could do the ring stuff before or after (if you have the energy for it). 

Not sure about the high rep stuff. Perhaps that in the morning and rings in the evening.

SQ + DL probably best to separate from  the rings - just too much nervous system fatigue involved.

Ultimately I think you'll have to just play with it and see what works best. Give 48 hours between successive identical trainings as a rule o thumb.