Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New To Here And Critique My Working Out Regimen.

Michael Morello

Michael Morello

i have read the book and now am making a work out split because i have not gained enough strength for the workouts.

my split is Monday-warm up with elastic bands for shoulder ,inverted row 3x10, front lever hold normally around 25 seconds tucked, pull ups 5x5. no back lever because my protraction is far more developed than retracted. (also i need help with my front lever and more exercises to strengthen it)

Tuesday -warm up , leg workout- front squat heavy ranges from 8 sets and to 2-5 reps, reversed curls with elastic bands( can not do with body weight yet) (switches off from also 10 sets of 8 to 10 reps for speed work)  also some good mornings 5 sets of 10 (max front squat is 205) i haven't done percentages yet because my energy levels have been all over the place so i go as i feel.

Wednesday- stretch and rehab for shoulder 

Thursday- deadlift- heavy same with front squats about 8 sets 2-5 reps.reverse curls 5 sets of 10.

Friday- sprints 6 sets of 50 meters 4 sets of 40 meters (max)

Saturday- same as Monday working on front lever because back lever is on straddle and front lever is not even parallel to the ground and tucked really.

every day i do handstand work  just  just couple of kick up into handstand into wall and then balance.  (also use handstands in my warm up)( i hurt my shoulders in a handstand i do not understand why but now i have a popping sound in my shoulders when ever i do pull up or raise me arm above my head, does not hurt though)

can you guys tell me if this is over working out and yes once i am able to do a handstand on the rings and front lever and back lever and muscle up i will then work on the WOD  but right now this is how i thought i should make my workouts because well i am still new and i have gotten injured twice by handstands so i am little confused about them still. also you can change what ever you want i just want to get stronger and have a better all around functional and stronger look physique. 

I am going to be honest with you, your routine is all over the place. I see no focus and no balance. There are templates around like killroy's template and you can do the wod by scaling it back.

Some problems with your routine:

You need to a lot more than just the front lever, the front lever is nice and good but just working the front lever isn't going to go very far.

You are missing the rest of your fundamental static positions. Planche, backlever, manna.

You are  missing equal amounts of pulling and pushing bent arm movements. Pullups are rows alone, once again, won't get you very far. Especially not if your goal is to have a well rounded physique and strength. 

You NEED the backlever so you can start training the planche. Just because you are stronger in the back lever than in the front lever has little to do with how strong your protraction is to your retraction. 

I am assuming leg work is important to you for something (a sport?) since you have two dedicated days to it with high volume. Otherwise I'd recommend getting rid of your lower body days and doing lower body work at the end of your upper body work. That way you can add more total training done.

You have one day dedicated to just sprints. If you are doing it for a sport (in which case I must ask why only one day?) then cool but if you are not, I would suggest same as with your leg work to not do it on a separate day but as a leg workout after upper body work or put all your leg work into one day. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Jake Lawrance

With the handstands, I would definitely warm up fully before kicking up into any as we have to remember that how much you weigh will be on your wrists and the majority of it will be on your shoulders. Personally, as a warm up I would work maybe about 1 set of each  - 10 wrist push ups, 10 hindu push up and 10 scapula push ups along with 3 sets of external rotation work so those rotator cuffs are a little bit more warm and ready! 

But yes, clicking is normal and should go away with time as long as you consider structural balance of your shoulder girdle, trust me, I still have minor shoulder impingement and it's a bitch to get rid of!