This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

AlexX
slizzardman said:
I'm probably going to pick that one up and if it's good I will promote it on my site. I like real talk!

I'm not so much into straight up bodybuilding, but I'm not even going to TRY to pretend that I don't enjoy the physique changes that come with getting stronger! I have always had a strength/performance focus and people always seem to not know how strong most of the old-timers were, especially Grimek. THAT was beast mode!!!

Grimek was a beast. There was nothing that guy wasn't good at strength wise.

Joshua Naterman

Flexibility too! And jumping, sprints, swimming, he was just ridiculous. He's one of my heroes!

Robert Stejskal

Everyone likes to look good and despite what most guys say ("I just want to be healthy / stronger / exercise makes me feel great, I just train for sports, etc") we all know that one of the primary reasons (probably THE primary reason) guys lift weights, etc. is to look good (and by extension, get the babes).

JOHN GRIMEK (off-season stats):

HEIGHT: 5' 8.5"

WEIGHT: 210 LBS.

BF%: 9%

CHEST: 49.9"

BICEPS: 18.5"

FOREARMS: 14.5"

NECK: 17.7"

THIGHS: 27"

CALVES: 17.7"

WRIST: 7.75"

By contrast, I'm nearly 6' 1" and only have 7.25" wrists (measure your wrist on the hand side of the styloid process, which is that bone that sticks out).

antpostrad&ul.jpg

Joshua Naterman

Do you mean between wrist and hand or on the forearm bones? I'm 7 and 3/8" on the hand side.

My neck's 17.5 right now and I don't train it at all anymore. It was like 18.5 in high school when I was doing ridiculous amounts of neck work.

Joshua Naterman

I forgot to log yesterday's workouts. No sprints, just 3x10 OAOL push ups per arm. I actually just used a thumb spot, which I discovered was great thumb training as well as being harder AND doable for the first 7 reps hahaha!

I pressed out to a full planche for about half a second, but arms were straight and position was good. In a way it was actually easier than straddle but that's because it's easier for me to maintain full body tension with my legs together, and my straddle is so narrow that there really isn't much of a difference in difficulty. This was at 3 am after 2 guinness and a jager bomb courtesy of my buddy Parker! Oh man, that was crazy. I also learned how to press to handstand without a hop. I will post video this weekend or next week, but I won't do a planche press out until the Seminar at the earliest, just to do it in person and show the progress. I can now say for SURE that the one arm push ups are definitely helping!

I did a few OAC before i went to bed, just 3 per arm so nothing tough. Light pinkie assist.

Today's workout will be as follows: 1x6 Front Squat@ 175 lbs (easy), 1x6 deadlift 315-ish (easy), drive to B's house and do sled sprints, and then come home and probably do more OAC work and HSPU. Volume will depend on how my shoulder feels, but overall it feels ok. I can feel the biceps tendon in the shoulder a little bit but not much, it's actually upper pecs freaking out more than anything else.

Robert Stejskal

Measure your wrist at the smallest point (which is normally just "under" that bone that sticks out at the end of your forearm).

Joshua Naterman

That's the smallest point I have.

Well i just kicked ass!!! 10 sets of 2 OAC, even easier this time. VERY light pinkie spot. They look way too easy on the video I just made. I also did 8 sets of 2 HSPU on the XR, the first 5 sets were with my feet inside the strap and the 6th set which I filmed has the first inside the straps and the second rep with ankles loosely wrapped around the straps. As you will see, I am getting really strong.

10x3-ish reps for the win, my friends.

Video is uploading and should be done in 10 minutes.

Joshua Naterman

Yo10qYG0DMg

Jaylene Deane

Slizz has gained a lvl, OAC map for the win! :lol:

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm really enjoying the videos, Sliz! It's going to be amazing to see you at 7-8 BF%.

I've been sipping 75 grams of protein powder mixed in tea every 30-60 minutes (started today), but I'm wondering how I'm going to do this around my workouts.

I'm getting a bunch of BCAA tablets (A LOT), and I had an idea. I haven't yet studied this too much, but basically speaking, the human body breaks down 7-10 grams of protein an hour; however, it breaks it down into amino acids to be released into the bloodstream. I suppose that the 7-10 grams of protein per hour "limit" or guideline doesn't apply to amino acids. In that case, I could take a lot of BCAA's before and after workouts in a similar fashion that I had been taking my PWO protein powder (25 grams every 30 minutes) but not as intensely. More like 15 grams before and afterwards.

So BCAA's and Glutamine 45-60 minutes PWO and 15 minutes PWO (still recommended?)

And then BCAA's and glutamine instantly after workout, followed by more later on and periodic whey sipping throughout the day.

Am I right about that? (be harsh :P)

Joshua Naterman
Jaylene said:
Slizz has gained a lvl, OAC map for the win! :lol:

HAHAHA!!! *FF6 level up music plays*

Character Name: Naterman

Exp: 8784

Level: 12

HP: 1114

MP:93

Str: 88

Agl: 56

Def: 79

Mdef: 40

Atk: 144

Eva: 50

Jaylene Deane

Ah, a gentleman of impeccable taste, a fellow FF fan, although, I haven't got my hands on a copy of VI, I've played VII onward though. I would have thought you would be at least 11-12ish Slizz, cause that's when you got good enough base stats to really start grinding those lvls! :D

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha, indeed! I, ah, must have missed the "1" key on accident... yea... but now that's fixed!

FF4 and FF6 are superb. You simply must play 6, the story is outrageously good! Probably the greatest FF of all time.

I also love FF9, and my friend and I are going to do a speed playthrough of 8 again sometime soon, I love 8's story and the junction system but overall I prefer 9.

After FFX I can't say I think anything of the series really, I haven't played past that one but I've seen the newer ones and have not been impressed.

Philip Chubb

Haha Slizzardman when you wrote greatest of all time, you meant VII right?? LOL. VIII is also great! I will try VI sometime.

griffdrc

try to stay turned out and locked at the top... i found using dumbbells to mimic the motion really helps... like an arnold press but stay turned out... i'm curious how much of a spot you are getting from your pinly... i know when my spot decreases my chin shifts over my pulling hand... your chin still looks pretty centered... hang an elastic band over the bar and hold it with your spotting hand... the more it stretches the more of a spot you need... it was an eye opener for me... congrats on your training... you've made huge changesin body comp... can't wait to see the full planche!

sorry if i'm a a little harsh at times... never was much of a cheerleader...always found cc more helpful than lavish praise...

Joshua Naterman
PHILIP said:
Haha Slizzardman when you wrote greatest of all time, you meant VII right?? LOL. VIII is also great! I will try VI sometime.

No way dude, people who think that have not played VI. FF7 is a good game, no doubt about that in my mind, but it can't hold a candle to 6. FF4 is also truly great, but don't play the American version! Play the real thing. If you "swoon" when you die you're playing the crap version of 4.

I actually think that FF X is probably the best FF since 6, quite honestly, closely followed by 9 and 8. I loved 7, but it has to go in its rightful place. Much of its "greatness" stems from it being the first 3D Final Fantasy. It was fresh and new, and certainly had a gripping story and a neat Materia system, and Aeris certainly provided the most stunning and shocking scene in videogame history as far as I'm concerned. If you know what I mean, don't talk about it here. Let people who don't know find out the right way.

Griff: Grab some pom poms! :lol: Just kidding! I always appreciate the CC comments. I am not the best at the lockout because I literally never get on the rings, at least not in the last 4-6 months, and I never really practiced the HS so this is square 1 for me. It should improve over the rest of the year, since I am actually feeling like I can safely train these now. It is also seriously pretty hard lol!!! I'm not THAT strong yet!

With the OAC I can say that I am getting a lot less than 50 lbs of spotting, for sure. I have hung 50 lbs off my pinkie to see how it feels lol! The problem is the camera angle. I'm almost completely centered on my hand but it really is hard to see. I'll be doing these again in a few days with a straight on view so we can see better, but my chin is above my pinkie and ring fingers.

My right bicep is still in pretty bad shape compared to the left, at least the long head is. I really noticed when I tried a reverse muscle up. The strength isn't that far off but it feels like I will rip the long head on the right arm straight in two if I try it. Ah, stupid full planche hold did a little something obviously. I need an appointment with that therapist lol! I've never felt a specific piece of a muscle so clearly before.

Joshua Naterman

Just did 4 sets of OAOL push ups. 3x10 and 1x6. Pretty darn tough but I can feel everything getting stronger! I did 2 sets a bit wider and 2 sets with hands and feet at regular push up position. Believe it or not the wider ones are actually slightly harder! When I have these down a bit better, probably around my Birthday in November, I will put these on video to show you guys what I mean.

I'm going to go do a set of front squat, deadlift, OAC and HSPU and then go for a run. And then drag the sled, most likely. Yikes! I might do that after the party tonight, we'll see how I feel.

Now that I've stocked up on some awesome music it's time to go!

Joshua Naterman

Good run, 47 minutes. No idea how far, I did the first 20 barefoot and last 27 in vibrams. I would have done the whole thing but I was sprinting randomly barefoot and two of my toes started feeling hot on the asphalt so I slipped on my vibrams. I did 1 OAC each arm at the park somewhere around 2/3 of the way through the run as well.

Quick Start Test Smith

Sliz, you seem to train quite sporadically and quite often throughout the day. What kind of warm ups do you do for your workouts without taking forever? Tire sprints must require quite a thorough warm up, as would front squats and deadlifts... how do you find the time?

Rafael David

Dude, I get my first OAC (both arms, perfect form) today (test day), but I don't know how, because a don't trained OACs directly since last year, I just have done the WOD's, nor more nor less! Apart of the WODs, I do a training of Poliquin for hypertrophy my arms, once a week, but it has nothing with OAC. With your experience, you can tell me how that happened? :D :?

Joshua Naterman

I don't warm up for the single sets. You have to think about it this way:

1) in a real situation you don't get to warm up.

2) If you do the same thing every day, 7 days a week, it becomes normal for your body. You don't need a warm up because you really aren't even pushing that hard even if it seems crazy to an outsider (anyone not you).

When I'm front squatting 175 or deadlifting 315 thats baby weight for me. My real workouts are a bit heavier than that. I add 5 lbs to the daily weight every 4-6 weeks.

Same goes for the other stuff, it's all SSC style. I do stuff when I want to because I don't need equipment. The closest I get is rings for HSPU and seriously 1-2 reps once or twice a day is enough and I can put aside 2-3 serious workouts each week for real work.

When I get strong enough to be doing reverse muscle ups the same way that's how it will be. For now I'm doing a single negative 3x per week. That's not enough to do any damage so I lose no strength but start conditioning for the stress of the movement. When my arms have felt absolutely nothing during the negatives for a few weeks I will start doing a partial pull back up, and I won't change the movement at all for 4-6 weeks. It's simple and effective, and it shows just how much everything is being over-thought.

I am also fortunate enough to have figured out what is actually needed for ridiculous strength and now I am simply implementing it. I still discover new things, like the OAOL push up! Unbelievable how important that is, and yet who really understands why? Answer: Right now, pretty much just me. In a few years I'm hoping that my site will be able to expand EVERYONE's knowledge base. There will be many who say "whatever you can do it another way" but they will never be able to do what I will be doing. That's just the way it is, because I only have one thought: "I am going to constantly search for the best way to build a superior body. I will always search for and evaluate new options and if something works I will integrate it." That's it. Nothing more to it than that.

No plan B.

If you have a plan B you WILL end up using it.

Joshua Naterman
Mikael said:
Dude, I get my first OAC (both arms, perfect form) today (test day), but I don't know how, because a don't trained OACs directly since last year, I just have done the WOD's, nor more nor less! Apart of the WODs, I do a training of Poliquin for hypertrophy my arms, once a week, but it has nothing with OAC. With your experience, you can tell me how that happened? :D :?

If you've been doing the WODs you have been building an excellent base. Between that, any work you do that strengthens the arms is also going to help but the multiplane pulling is KEY. It develops FAR more strength than most of us realize.

Bodyweight might have something to do with it but seriously you have been consistent and have covered all your bases with your training, so that is the natural result over time.

Quick Start Test Smith

Sliz, I really like that approach, although I think I'm going to have to wait until your site is up and I can read all about it to fully understand how to implement it lol! I guess a general guideline is to make sure you have all the prehab covered so you're biomechanically sound and then doing a high frequency but kind of low intensity stuff with certain times being much higher intensity...

That seems to be something that is really becoming core to your training methods, actually. Daily (or at least very consistent) sub-maximal efforts with high intensity mixed in. You've mentioned the importance of consistent but low intensity FSP work a lot so I guess it makes sense to apply it to FBE's as well. Cool!

Joshua Naterman
Patrick Smith said:
Sliz, I really like that approach, although I think I'm going to have to wait until your site is up and I can read all about it to fully understand how to implement it lol! I guess a general guideline is to make sure you have all the prehab covered so you're biomechanically sound and then doing a high frequency but kind of low intensity stuff with certain times being much higher intensity...

That seems to be something that is really becoming core to your training methods, actually. Daily (or at least very consistent) sub-maximal efforts with high intensity mixed in. You've mentioned the importance of consistent but low intensity FSP work a lot so I guess it makes sense to apply it to FBE's as well. Cool!

You got it. Prehab needs to be daily. High volume prehab doesn't, but you have to do at least one set of everything every day if you want truly optimal results. You don't have to kill it on these sets, but do decent work. Start off with less than you think you need and slowly build up. It's been a long, long time since I've been able to handle the kind of volume and frequency I am using now, but I'm being careful and methodical so it's all coming together!

I am finding that basic movement patterns need to be daily as well. Plain and simple: The more different things you do every day, the better your body will function. This applies to movement as well as anything else.

Quick Start Test Smith

I do all my prehab as part of my warm up before my workouts early in the morning. I wake up at about 4-4:30 am in the morning, so it gives me a chance to wake up before my workout if I do it then... :lol:

Please check into the warm up thread every once in a while! Any prehab summary tips are welcome. I'm trying to compile the whole prehab and warm up information into short summaries in an organized way. Haven't got started on the prehab stuff yet, but I'll start soon.

Hopefully I will be eventually able to do away with warm ups to some degree... I don't know how unusual this is, but knowing I have to spend time jumping around and just getting ready to train is always the thing that discourages me from training (it doesn't stop me, but it makes it harder to start). I just want to jump straight into the training. It's not a positive thing, though... the patient and consistent attitude is definitely better.

Have you ever seen "Warm-Up and Preparation" by Jordan Jovtchev? I bought the DVD for about $10 online, and it's pretty nice! Not extremely sophisticated, but he was a gymnastic ring specialist (I think) for a long time so I guess it's good! :lol: