This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

Joshua Naterman

I do have a few new prehab and mobility tips, one from alexX and one from Dillon! I will post them soon. Worked out tday with AlexX and we did some handstand work as well as OAC work and a good bit of trap work. Good times!

Dreadrok
slizzardman said:
Jaylene said:
Slizz has gained a lvl, OAC map for the win! :lol:

HAHAHA!!! *FF6 level up music plays*

Character Name: Naterman

Exp: 8784

Level: 12

HP: 1114

MP:93

Str: 88

Agl: 56

Def: 79

Mdef: 40

Atk: 144

Eva: 50

LOL, thats pretty funny.

i say ffx ffvii ffvi are all must plays. ffx monster trainer is so sick. i havent played it in ages but i still remember getting owned by the freekin jumbo flan, and don tonberry and some others. make me wanna have a go at em again.

i also liked ff3

n e ways grats man, i didnt know u were making a site whats it supposed to be up?

Tarun Suri

Favs are FFX, and FFVI, and although not a FF Chrono Trigger. For way too may reasons that the database of this forum can contain.

Joshua Naterman

Don Tonberry ruled! I think the Magus Sisters were the hardest overall.

Chrono Trigger is, quite possibly, the greatest game of all time when you consider the combination of completely unique gameplay mechanics, excellent art, sublime soundtrack, endless endings and a journey through time from the distant past to the future complete with new characters from many of the locales joining your party as you went. The story was great, and the sub-plots added so much to the main story that I just can't think of anything that's wrong with Chrono Trigger!

As much as I think Xenogears has the overall greatest story of all RPGs, it can't stand up to CT's ultimate package.

Joshua Naterman

Just got back from sprints, excellent work today!

I did some inlocates at school, and I worked virtually every movement that doesn't hurt my body at least once through the day. Very good work.

blackmonster
slizzardman said:
Don Tonberry ruled! I think the Magus Sisters were the hardest overall.

Chrono Trigger is, quite possibly, the greatest game of all time when you consider the combination of completely unique gameplay mechanics, excellent art, sublime soundtrack, endless endings and a journey through time from the distant past to the future complete with new characters from many of the locales joining your party as you went. The story was great, and the sub-plots added so much to the main story that I just can't think of anything that's wrong with Chrono Trigger!

As much as I think Xenogears has the overall greatest story of all RPGs, it can't stand up to CT's ultimate package.

Haha, very well put. Chrono Trigger was always one of my favorite RPG's. Hard to beat its playability, story lines, and diversity. I used to be a huge gamer BTW... Then I discovered exercise... LoL

Been downhill ever since ;)

Jaylene Deane

Yeah, know the feeling, I used to play games all the time,but now...exercise, work and life in general gets in the way! As much as I love the FF series, as far as an endless lvling RPG go the Disgaea series. What other RPG lets you max out your characters at lvl 9999 and with several million HP? Bloody crazy. And lvling the weapons is just as insane!! (so is the story btw :D )

Razz

Oh the good old geek days. Now I'm an exercise geek instead 8)

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha I think Coach has turned us all into exercise geeks! I used to game hardcore too, and nowadays I don't play much of anything.

I AM enjoying Tales of Symphonia on the GC, but I often go weeks between bouts. I do love the story and gameplay though, I have to say. It's just smack at the bottom of my priority list, along with gaming in general for the most part!

Erik Sjolin

Ever play anything from the Fallout series? I sometimes plug in New Vegas if I need something to keep myself from exercising (that's a weird sentence to type, but it makes sense in context).

Joshua Naterman

Great training today!

5x175 front squat (very easy today), 6x315 stiff leg deadlift (very easy) ,10 sets of 2 OAC per arm, 1 set of 15 Body Levers (easy), 5 or 6 sets of OAOL Push ups, 3 sets of 3 rocking straddle HS presses (these are getting much better), and a few XR HSPU with feet inside the straps. Amazing how much harder that is! 4 NLC, played some capoeira, and some random stuff throughout the day. It's been a long, long time since I've done dips. I did a muscle up yesterday, easier than ever but I can tell my elbows are out of condition for them. I also did a few Yewkis and some FL pulls today, very nice ones. My shoulders are starting to do really well, so I should be able to start working the diamond push ups into my routine soon.

I should note that my rings are 6-8" wider than the official rings are, and this makes an enormous difference, everything is much tougher!

Tomorrow I will probably do, 10x4-6 Yewkis and probably 10x2 XR HSPU as my main work. As usual I will literally do a few reps of EVERYTHING in addition. I may also do a few sets of partial reverse muscle ups.

Rafael David

Nice training Slizz. About the RPGs, you never played FFXII?! Is EPIC!!! Chrono Trigger was really good, very nostalgic! :lol:

Adam Bodestyne
slizzardman said:
Hahaha I think Coach has turned us all into exercise geeks! I used to game hardcore too, and nowadays I don't play much of anything.

Haha, it is interesting how that has happened, actually. I think I feel the same.

I also gamed a lot, and actually, I still do so often. However, I find myself easily putting the games aside for the chance to get some good exercise, just because the latter actually wins out with a feeling of "yeah, I can't wait to go do some training," as opposed to "oh, I guess I should exercise because it will be good for me..." This feeling of having exercise being consistently exciting to me (i.e. beyond that initial two-week rush of enthusiasm that you sometimes get with things) had not happened before I had started this training.

Also, I agree with everyone else above who commented about Chrono Trigger. Such an awesome game, and it seemed to still be just as great when I replayed it. (I'm sure you've all played plenty of games that you thought were awesome 'back then', but when you actualy played it again, you wish you'd left it alone, and just kept it as a fond memory :P)

Quick Start Test Smith

While we're on the topic of games, anyone play StarCraft II? :D

acegerter

Slizz I'll save your log from being a gamers chat room...

Check the Community section, just created a thread !!

Pkhamidar2com
Patrick Smith said:
While we're on the topic of games, anyone play StarCraft II? :D

i havnt played, but have always wanted to play that game.

Slizzardman, chrono trigger is also one of my favourite games. I played the snes version, i tried the DS version but that sucked compared to the SNES version :)

Have you also heard of golden sun series? They are my absolute favourite RPG series. Also the final fantasy series are quite nice :) (but dont play ff13, that sucks)

anyways im gonna follow your log, im new to gymnastics but ive seen you on youtube and your videos are cool so yeah :)

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha, good looking out Ace! School's crazy right now, just trying to keep up and see if I can get an empty lab spot. Otherwise no Chemistry this semester! I have to say, I won't be sad if that happens. Having Chem as well as the other classes will be a lot.

I just sort of screwed around today, did a MPPu WOD today. Pretty much yewkis, reverse yewkis, and OAC along with front pulls and FL pulls. I probably did 3 sets of each but they were all mixed up in there. It was very fast-paced, I knoced that out in like 14 minutes, and it was tiring. I haven't done anything like that in a long time. Rocking HS press is still coming along nicely, it will be a good while before it's perfect but now I semi-regularly press up slowly after the rock! I am sort of getting the feel for the motion.

Joshua Naterman

Well, I haven't done much of any cardio work besides jogging downtown but I can tell you this: Those tire sprints have made my legs nigh invincible! I always had a problem where they would crap out too soon in sprints and whatnot. Well, at least as long as I keep THESE up that is a thing of the past. Totally insane endurance. I was on one of the bikes we use for the Wingate test and we turned the resistance all the way up with the knob and it didn't even make a difference for about 15 seconds. This was after I had already been pedaling for 20s or so. I remember what it was like when I actually DID the wingate test, so I know exactly how MUCH of a difference there was and let me tell you: I don't have the same legs. They are now infinitely better for AN-2 performance than they were.

I ate a TON yesterday and it shows a little, I've been eating more and working out a bit less (well, no sprints anyways) all week due to school schedules so there it is, but I feel great.

Joshua Naterman

Well, I've been using the freemotion machines for some ring strength simulation and I have to say that in many ways it is awesome! Highly adjustable resistance with similar force lines to advanced ring strength is really nice.

I have been working back lever pulls for the past 3 weeks or so and I am definitely noticing that building up volume on these slowly is an incredibly good idea. My elbows are feeling better than ever and I can pull into a full lay BL, and my German Hang is better than ever. Granted, the full lay BL is pretty strenuous on the elbows and I feel it pretty powerfully, but that was just a test and there was no tendon pain. I couldn't believe it, that's major progress!

In other news, foam rolling + lacrosse ball rolling of the pecs (minor and major) immediately followed by long static stretching is absolutely fantastic.

30 lb inlocates are feeling pretty solid now, and I am pulling down to cross with that on a daily basis as well as BL arm position. I just started playing with maltese and planche positions and I can tell I will need a bench to lay on for that to work properly but I think that is a fantastic exercise. You literally get nearly the exact same feeling as pulling into and out of the real hold, so I am thinking that this is an excellent progressive assistance exercise idea for ring strength. Make sure to use a machine with separate weight stacks for each side. Since they go up to 75 lbs each that is literally plenty for pretty much every competitive gymnast on the planet and even for me that's pretty amazing.

I found that I can power down out of a HS through planche without problems, and my handstand is getting really solid. Presses are stalled as I simply need flexibility to perform them better. I also have problems using my upper back muscles so I am implementing an old exercise I used to use years ago to work on that. We shall see if that is the ticket or not!

mikelmarion
slizzardman said:
Well, I've been using the freemotion machines for some ring strength simulation and I have to say that in many ways it is awesome! Highly adjustable resistance with similar force lines to advanced ring strength is really nice.

I have been working back lever pulls for the past 3 weeks or so and I am definitely noticing that building up volume on these slowly is an incredibly good idea. My elbows are feeling better than ever and I can pull into a full lay BL, and my German Hang is better than ever. Granted, the full lay BL is pretty strenuous on the elbows and I feel it pretty powerfully, but that was just a test and there was no tendon pain. I couldn't believe it, that's major progress!

In other news, foam rolling + lacrosse ball rolling of the pecs (minor and major) immediately followed by long static stretching is absolutely fantastic.

30 lb inlocates are feeling pretty solid now, and I am pulling down to cross with that on a daily basis as well as BL arm position. I just started playing with maltese and planche positions and I can tell I will need a bench to lay on for that to work properly but I think that is a fantastic exercise. You literally get nearly the exact same feeling as pulling into and out of the real hold, so I am thinking that this is an excellent progressive assistance exercise idea for ring strength. Make sure to use a machine with separate weight stacks for each side. Since they go up to 75 lbs each that is literally plenty for pretty much every competitive gymnast on the planet and even for me that's pretty amazing.

I found that I can power down out of a HS through planche without problems, and my handstand is getting really solid. Presses are stalled as I simply need flexibility to perform them better. I also have problems using my upper back muscles so I am implementing an old exercise I used to use years ago to work on that. We shall see if that is the ticket or not!

Hey slizz, what do you think about this? http://www.gymsupply.com/ironcross.aspx Would that be useful for what your doing? Could a beginner use it to build the tendons?

http://www.gymsupply.com/ironcross.aspx

Joshua Naterman

I couldn't tell you without using them, but the disadvantage will be that there are large increases in stress at each notch, and it will get worse as you get out to the edge. It's a good idea, but until you have a very solid ring support, ring dip and bulgarian dip (done properly) along with a good 45-60s tuck planche at the very least it is probably a terrible idea. You will learn bad form because your joints will not be able to hold you in the proper shapes. If you get something like that be cautious, those are NOT for beginners.

acegerter

lolol i went to school with aaron ingram... his shoulders are all sorts of screwed up

mikelmarion
slizzardman said:
I couldn't tell you without using them, but the disadvantage will be that there are large increases in stress at each notch, and it will get worse as you get out to the edge. It's a good idea, but until you have a very solid ring support, ring dip and bulgarian dip (done properly) along with a good 45-60s tuck planche at the very least it is probably a terrible idea. You will learn bad form because your joints will not be able to hold you in the proper shapes. If you get something like that be cautious, those are NOT for beginners.

Thanks! Will hold off on that. Slizz i have a few more questions for you. Could i email you or pm you? Hit you up on you tube? I dont want to clutter your workout thread like i have already.

Joshua Naterman

I can now work to muscular failure with 30 lb straight arm work on the freemotion machine with no pain during or after the workout. I can't believe it! My biceps are getting enormous, straight arm work DEFINITELY does a lot to them. I am definitely going to look pretty insane come May, and from the feel of things I will have a lot of new strength skills.

To get things moving forward I need some serious soft tissue releases on the chest area and lats/serratus/teres major/long head of the triceps. Once all of that is ship shape I will REALLY be making moves!

I have started SMR with my lacrosse ball, and I have found that just like with Gua Sha it is of vital importance to perform some very deep stretches immediately afterwards and hold them for at least 60s. Getting fantastic results this way.

Sorry, don't have much time lately. Wish I did.

To end it all for tonight, I will say that what we refer to as prehab is vitally important. Don't screw around and forget about it, do it daily.