This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

Joshua Naterman

Well, I've never kept a training log before. This will probably keep me more on track with my workouts :)

Current stats:

6'2

220 lbs

27 years old

07Sep2009

Upper body day, moderately low volume, moderately high intensity.

Notes: Feeding wasn't perfect, I had eaten 3 hours before the workout. Good food though, very low GI. Chicken, pasta, pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, olive oil. There were also "extra-curricular activities" immediately before the workout, which I believe has a bit to do with my performance level.

Warmup:

40 arm circles forward

40 arm circles backward

12 reps bench 135 lbs

12 reps bent over rows 135 lbs

Workout:

1 set bench press, 10 reps with 225 lbs. Weak, should have been able to do 15.

1 set bent over rows, 6 reps with 225 lbs. Again, weak. Should have gotten 8-10. 5th and 6th reps were somewhat questionable form :P

75 second rest

1 set bench press, 2 reps with 275 lbs. Very weak, should have had 5. Right forearm pain from the tendonitis makes a noticeable difference in what my body will do. Very irritating.

1 set 6 slow pullups, double shoulder width, bar behind head, traps touching bar at top of each rep.

75 second rest

1 set incline press, 5 reps with 225 lbs. Truly awful, on the 6th rep I lost the bar and had it stuck on my shoulders, so I had to roll it down to my hips and stand up with it to drop and unload the bar. A combination of factors, but mostly the forearms, played in here. I normally get 8 reps minimum, with no complications.

1 minute rest

1 set 4 regular grip pullups, chest to bar. 3 second pause at the top, then 3-5 second negative on each rep.

1 elevated feet planche lean, fingers backwards,

1 minute rest

1 set 4 regular grip pullups, 2 seconds up, 1 second pause, 2 seconds down with 50 lbs extra weight. Not a bad start. I am cautious because of my forearms.

1 minute rest.

4 reps front pull, straddle FL position.

1 minute rest.

4 reps FL negatives, full lay, 5 second negative.

1 set ghr, 8 reps, body piked until 45 degrees, then straighten and raise to upright. Arms held around shoulder-chest level. Damn, these make my calves cramp like crazy! I just felt like doing it, I know it doesn't belong.

2 sets of 12 reps prone (face down) victorian presses on a bench, 30 lb dumbbells. 1 second hold at body height. 1 minute rest between sets

1 set dips, 5 reps. Hold at the bottom for 5-10 seconds each rep, with shoulders almost (1 inch away at the most) touching hands, then press up to straight arms, after 5th rep I did 5 reps of transition part of russian dips. Forearms go down to level with the floor, then back up to perpendicular. One last press to straight arm, then dismount. Next time there will be some weighted dip action with something light like 50 lbs.

4 sets of 10-20 second HS wall runs, 1 minute rest between sets. Wow, these are weird, and hard. Concentrated on extending the shoulder each rep, hands about a foot away from the wall. Very tough for me, it feels like these are really going to be great.

2 minutes rest.

1 set one arm dumbbell military press, focusing on shoulder extention. 10 reps with 50 lbs each arm.

Rotator cuff work

1 set fo 30 reps with each of the following exercises, with 1 minute rest for the first exercise and no rest beyond the time it took for one arm to complete the set and pass the dumbbell to the other arm for the last 4 exercises. Each exercise was done with one arm and then the other, then the next exercise was initiated immediately.

Standing Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula

Sidelying External Rotation

Prone Horizontal Abduction

Prone Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula

Prone Row with External Rotation

This took 12 minutes or so.

As I was leaving I decided to do a quick set of reverse curls with a 50 lb dumbbell, 4 quick reps with left arm and one with the right, and that one HURT! Bad idea :P I then did a quick set of straight bar bicep curls, 2 reps with 135 lbs. Usually do 6, but I didn't want to upset my forearm. The 2 reps were very easy, no pain.

That was the end of the workout!

Razz

About time! :mrgreen: haha jk, good to see a log ill definately follow here. You're quite strong! hope your tendonitis gets better :)

Joshua Naterman

LOL, thanks ^_^

It really is about time, I'm already making some changes. Today's workout is going to be a bit on the higher volume, lower intensity side. I hope my tendonitis clears up too, it should be much better in a month if I stay consistent with the stretching and I utilize the heating pads I have. I'm going to get some better ones that wrap all the way around from walmart this evening, I think :)

I think my training is going to be a bit different than most people's, since I have a pretty even integration of the gymnastics and the weights. I think we will also see a shift where one workout a week is very gymnastics heavy, once I get back on the rings. It's not worth using them at the gym unfortunately, because the straps just aren't long enough. After getting used to the longer rings, the short rings seem wimpy :P I will still use them for lever work if nothing else :P I suppose I better put my stretching down too, to keep me on track with that.

Joshua Naterman

08Sep2009 Arrived at gym 735pm(1935)

Lower body. Higher volume, lower intensity.

Warm up:

40 shoulder circles forward

40 shoulder circles backward

10 bw deck squats

10 bw jumping squats

Workout:

Ido's locomotion training, sans lizardwalk, bridge walk, and ostrich walk( I haven't been stretching, need my flexibility back :P):

-Handstand walks, 12 meters. Not continuous, I slowly kick up with one leg, hold for 3 seconds, come down. Kick up with the other leg, hold for 3 seconds, come down. Eventually I end up on the other side of the gym.

no rest

-Duck walk, 24 meters. first 12 meters super low, last 12 meters more like a low, low lunge walk. Just a few inches higher than the regular duck walk, but it makes a big, big difference.

30 second rest

Horse walk, 15 meters.

30 second rest.

1 set 30 reps back squat, 135 lbs. 10 reps with feet shoulder width, 10 with feet close, then 10 with feet wide, all one set.

1 minute rest.

1 set 15 reps front squat, 135 lbs. 7 reps feet shoulder width, 8 reps feet wide. All one set.

1 minute rest.

one set of 14 reps deadlifts, regular grip, 135 lbs. first 8 reps were with 3 inch outer diameter PVC over the bar, to develop hand strength. Last 6 reps were with the bar. That was the warmup. I then tried one rep with the 3 inch handles with the 225. Yea, right. I got the bar like one inch off the ground and lost it. One day I will be able to do this though, my hands are strong and I don't train for it much. As a comparison to show how much harder the large handle makes this, on my heavy days I deadlift 435 for reps. To not be able to lift 225 felt, well, ridiculous :lol:

1 minute rest.

one set of 20 deadlifts with 225 lbs, regular grip with bar, first 10 reps were stiff leg, next 10 were regular deadlifts.

2 minute rest, felt a little nauseous. :P

one set 20 deadlifts with 225 lbs, regular grip with bar, first 10 reps were regular, last 10 were stiff leg.

1 rep bicep curl with 135 lbs when replacing the bar on the bench.

3 full range dips, 3 russian dips.

4 nipples to bar pullups, 2 second hold at the top.

Some random freebalancing calf raises, with a hold at the top for as long as I could keep my balance.

Went to class 810(2010), returned to the gym afterwards 10 pm(2200).

Rotator cuff exercises:

1 set Standing Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula - Both arms together.

30 seconds rest

1 set each of 30 reps, alternating arms and progressing from one exercise to the next with no rest except the time it takes to change positions and hand over the dumbbell to the other hand.

Prone Horizontal Abduction

Sidelying External Rotation

Prone Row with External Rotation

Prone Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula

1 set of 10 inverted situps with a 25 lb plate.

1 minute rest.

1 set of 8 body levers, 6-8 second negatives before raising back up. These felt very strong today.

1 minute rest.

1 set Side HLL from pullup bar, going from left to right like a windshield wiper, 8 times per side, alternating from side to side. Hips were level with shoulders, arms straight at all times. FIrst 4 per side were with legs wide, last 4 per side were with legs together.

1 set 6 reps GHR, just for fun!

AAAAaand that was it. Felt good! Still feel good :) The front squats are going to make my upper back a little sore, it's been like a year since I've done them.

Left gym at 1020pm(2220).

Joshua Naterman

09Sep2009 Gym arrival: 8pm.

Warm up:

40 arm circles forward

40 arm circles backward

Work out:

1 set 20 reps with 135 lbs, flat bench.

1 set 20 reps with 135 lbs, bent over rows.

1 straight bar curl with 135 lbs

45 second rest

1 set 15 reps with 185 lbs, flat bench.

1 set 15 reps with 185 lbs, bent over rows.

1 straight bar curl with 135 lbs

45 second rest

1 set 15 reps with 155 lbs, incline bench.

1 set 8 dead-hang pullups.

45 second rest.

1 set 6 reps dead hang L-pullups.

45 second rest

1 set 5 reps wide grip behid the neck pullups.

45 second rest

1 set 3 reps front pull to inverted hang(full lay), 1 second hold at inverted hang, 5 second lower through front lever to straight arm hang, full lay.

2 minutes rest

1 set 2 reps front pull to inverted hang(full lay), 1 second hold at inverted hang, 5 second lower through front lever to straight arm hang, full lay. * last rep started to tuck on the way up and down.

2 minutes rest

2 HeSPU

1 minute rest

3 slow russian dips for warmup

10 dips full range( start with shoulders just above hands, then press to straight arm) with 50 lbs. Pretty easy, but at number 10 I felt some compression in right shoulder, so I stopped.

1 minute rest

4 slow russian dips with 50 lbs

1 minute rest

10 reps one arm shoulder press with 50 lb dumbbell, concentrating on shoulder joint extension at the top. 1 set each arm.

1 minute rest

4 reps shoulder press straight bar with 135 lbs. Felt terrible. My forearms hurt and my right shoulder didn't feel right. I'll have to do this at the beginning when I use it from now on.

2 minute rest

15 reps seated concentration curl with 35 lb dumbbell, one set each arm.

Rotator Cuff Series

1 set each arm with 3 lb dumbbell, then immediately moved to the next exercise.

Sidelying External Rotation

Prone Horizontal Abduction

Prone Row with External Rotation

Prone Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula

Standing Elevation in the Plane of the Scapula * done with both arms at the same time.

1 minute rest

2 sets 15 reps Prone Victorian Press with 30 lb dumbbells.

Time leaving gym: 8:50 pm.

Workout time : 50 minutes.

Razz

More rings!!!!!! :D

even though u have some pretty good workouts :twisted:

Joshua Naterman

Oh I'm going to, as soon as my elbows feel better. I miss the rings :)

Joshua Naterman

11Sep2009

Lower body day, high intensity.

warmup:

20 bw full-range squats

10 bw full-range jumping squats

Workout:

1 set 6 full-range reps+4 halfreps, back squat, 265 lbs. 3 reps feet shoulder width, 3 reps feet together, 4 half reps feet wide.

1 minute rest.

1 set 10 reps full range, back squat, 245 lbs. 5 reps wide, 5 reps shoulder width.

2 minutes rest (had to load the deadlift bar)

1 set 6 reps (warmup) 295 lb deadlift.

1 minute rest

1 set 4 reps 435lb deadlift

1 minute rest

1 set 2 reps 435 lb deadlift

1 minute rest

1 set 8 reps 315 lb stiff leg deadlift.

1 2 minutes rest

Ido's locomotion training: handstand walk(3 second holds per handstand, with 10 second hold on the last one), 14m; duck walk 30m, horse walk 14m, ostrich walk 10m.

1 minute rest

3 front pull negatives, from inverted hang to dead hang. Full lay, 5-7 seconds to lower.

1 minute rest

1 set 6 reps GHR, hips at 45 degrees, straighten body at 45 degrees, continue with straight body to upright on knees.

Rotator work

same stuff as usual.

2 sets 15 reps Prone Victorian Dumbbell Press, 1 minute rest inbetween.

1 set thick handle deadlifts 155 lbs, 10 reps, 3 inch thick handles. Wow, this was HARD. This is going to make my thumbs REALLY strong.

1 minute rest.

1 set thick handle shrugs, 6 reps, 155 lbs. Lost grip on the 6th rep! Very tough.

End of workout.

As a side note, I have been doing some rehab work on my elbows with great results. The pain has already diminished dramatically, and all I am doing is one minute of progressively faster reverse curls, basically a bicep curl but palm down instead of up. No weight, just the arm. I end up doing about 100 in a minute right now, I start slow and build up speed. This irritates the tendon and forces blood through the area, and breaks up any accululated scar tissue, speeding up healing. It's working really well. I do this at least 5 times a day. I'm starting to do something similar for my rotator cuffs, I imagine it will work similarly well, but I will report back when I get some more conclusive results

Joshua Naterman

12sep2009 and 13sep2009 - rest days

14sep2009 - Upper body, high intensity.

Warmup: shoulder circles, 40 forward and 40 backward. 15 reps of front, side and rear deltoid raises with 5 lb dumbbell.

HeSPU: 4 slow, clean reps! Not bad, not bad! I was surprised and pleased. Started with hands 3-4 inches from the wall, in a headstand. 2 seconds to press up, short hold at the top, 2 seconds down.I went all the way down to my head touching the floor, paused for a second, and then performed the next rep.

2 wide grip pullups. Felt funny in my right elbow, so I stopped at 2.

1 minute rest.

1 HeSPU, starting from the head, hands 3-4 inches from the wall. Continued to a hold of 30 seconds at the top, concentrating on body line and shoulder extention.

2 regular grip pullups, chest to bar.

1 minute rest.

30 seconds of shifting from one hand to another, sort of like handstand shuffling, as opposed to running :P I concentrated on extending the shoulder on the supporting hand as I shifted weight from one hand to the other. Hands were 9 inches from the wall.

2 regular grip L pullups, chest to bar.

1 minute rest.

30 second wall handstand, hands 3-4 inches from the wall.

2 regular pullups, chest to bar.

2 front pull negatives, starting from inverted hang. Full lay from inverted hang down to dead hang, concentrating on holding shoulderblades together the whole time. 5-7 second descent each rep.

1 minute rest.

30 second wall handstand, doing shoulder extension shrugs the whole time.

2 front pull negatives, starting from inverted hang. Full lay from inverted hang down to dead hang, concentrating on holding shoulderblades together the whole time. 5-7 second descent each rep.

1 minute rest, put 10 lb weight belt around hips/waist.

30 second wall handstand, hands 3-4 inches from wall, concentrating on shoulder extention.

2 front pull negatives, starting from inverted hang. Full lay from inverted hang down to dead hang, concentrating on holding shoulderblades together the whole time. 3-5 second descent each rep.

1 minute rest.

2 wide grip pullups, behind the neck.

2 front pull negatives, advanced tuck. Started from inverted hang, paused in adv. tuck front lever for 10-15 seconds. With the 10 lb weight around my waist this worked the muscles around my shoulderblades more than I've ever felt before. I think this is a big discovery, it should significantly accelerate my progress with the front lever. When my elbows feel better I will use this same technique for back lever as well.

1 minute rest.

2 front pull negatives, advanced tuck. Started from inverted hang, paused in adv. tuck front lever for 10-15 seconds.

1 minute rest.

1 set incline bench, 8 reps with 135.

30 second rest while loading the bar

1 set incline bench, 6 reps, top of bar to bottom of chin, 235 lbs. Felt great! Very happy about this.

1 minute rest.

1 set 4 full range dips. shoulders felt great!

20 second rest while grabbing 55 lb dumbbell.

1 set 11 reps of full range dips with 55 lbs, felt almost ridiculously easy. Shoulders felt fine. Last rep was Russian dip, somewhat difficult to move from horizontal forearms back up to dip position due to extra weight, but felt strong, and I went slightly past parallel. Slowly but surely, the muscleup transition is being built!

1 muscleup on 2.5 inch bar, slight straight leg kip. 2 regular pullups, chest to bar.

1 minute rest.

rotator cuff work, same stuff.

1 minute rest

2 sets 15 reps Prone Victorian Dumbbell Press, 30 lb dumbbells, 1 minute rest between sets.

First set was power up, hold for 1 second, lower down for each rep. Second set was different. First 5 reps were power up, 5 second hold, lower down. Last 10 reps were same as the first set.

4 regular L-pullups, chest to bar, hold for 2 seconds, lower to deadhang.

new rotator work: I grab a machine handle, lock my elbow straight, and rotate my arm as far forward and backward as I can, maintaining slight pressure away from the machine. This feels great, and as of the next day my shoulder feels really good. I think this will speed up my recovery. The idea came from the exercises I am doing to help rehab the tendons in my elbows.

6 reps straight bar curl, 135 lbs. First 3 reps were pretty easy, then I felt something in my elbow so the last 3 were lower the bar to 90 degrees, hold for 3-5 seconds, and curl back up.

End of workout.

workout time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Joshua Naterman

15sep2009

Lower body, heavy.

Warmup:

20 bodyweight squats

10 iso jump squats

10 crescent kicks, inside and outside each leg

workout:

1 set 4 SLS per leg

1 min rest

4 sets of 4-5 reps per leg, 40s rest between sets, The Shrimp, beginner version. Wow. These are hard. Ido is the man.

1 min rest

14m horse walk, followed immediately by 28m duck walk.

2 min rest

15 reps + 5 quarter reps Back Squat, 245 lbs. 6 regular, 4 close, 5 wide, 5 quarter reps wide.

2 minute rest

1 set 10 deadlifts 295lbs, regular grip.

30 s rest

1 set 8 reps stiff leg deadlift 365 lbs, first 2 reps regular grip, last 6 switch grip, 3 with each hand forward, pausing only for a second to switch hands.

90s rest

2 sets 4 reps deadlift, 435 lbs, 45s rest between sets. Hands get tired :P

1 minute rest

1 set 10 reps 295 lbs straight leg deadlift

1 minute rest

1 set 8 reps thick handle deadlifts, 165 lbs. Holy shit. This was way hard, I'll be using this weight for a while now.

1 min rest

1 set 4 reps thick handle deadlifts, 165 lbs.

1 rep straight bar curl, 135 lbs.

abs: 1 set 10 reps body levers

1 min rest

1 set hanging windshield wipers, 10 to each side, first 7 with legs open each side.

rotator cuff work:

same.

2 sets Prone Victorian Dumbbell Press, 1st set 15 reps with 3 second holds on first 5 reps, 2nd set 12 reps, 3 second holds on first 3 reps. 1 min rest between sets.

end of workout.

Joshua Naterman

16Sep2009

Upper body, heavy.

Warmup:

40 arm circles forward and back

front, rear, and side deltoid raises with 5 lb dumbbell.

Ido's shoulder ROM&stability routine.

Ido's Scapular mobility routine

Workout:

4 regular deadhang pullups, chest to bar, slow.

3 HeSPU, full range, hands 4 inches from wall, plus 1 negative.

1 min rest

4 wide grip deadhang pullups. Still bother my elbows a little, GRR!

1 HeSPU followed by 20 second wall HS. fingers 4 inches from wall.

1 min rest

4 deadhang curlups, chest to bar, slow.

35s wall handstand, shifting weight from hand to hand. Hands 4 inches off wall.

1 min rest, put 10 lb weight belt on waist/hips.

30s wall handstand, 4 inches off wall, slight shoulder shrugs the whole time to work shoulder girdle extension.

2 reps negative front pull starting from inverted hang, 5-7 seconds each rep, scapula retracted,controlled descent, full lay.

1 min rest

20s wall handstand, 4 inches off wall.

3 reps negative front pull starting from inverted hang, 5-7 seconds each rep, scapula retracted,controlled descent, full lay.

1 min rest

2 pullups, regular grip, chest to bar.

1 rep negative front pull starting from inverted hang, scapula retracted, lower to adv flat tuck, hold 15 seconds, slowly lower rest of way down.

1min rest

2 pullups, neutral grip, chest to handles.

1 rep negative front pull starting from inverted hang, scapula retracted, lower to adv flat tuck, hold 20 seconds, slowly lower rest of way down.

1 set 15 reps flat bench, 135 lbs.

30s rest

5 slow pullups with 55 lb dumbbell.

1 set 5 reps flat bench 225 lbs.

1 min rest

2 slow curlups with 55 lb dumbbell, next 3 reps were neutral grip pullups. weighted curlups hurt my elbows, it turns out :P

1 set 6 reps flat bench 275 lbs. shoulders felt great!

2 min rest

1 set 7 reps bent over row, regular grip, 225 lbs.

1 min rest

1 set 8 full range dips, with 65lb dumbbell, then 5 shrugs at the top. Pretty tired at this point lol!

1 set 5 reps bent over row 225 lbs, regular grip, 225 lbs.

1 min rest

5 slow russian L-dips

1 min rest

1 set per arm 5 reps seated concentration curl, 35lb dumbbell.

30s rest

1 set per arm 10 reps seated concentration curl, 35 lb dumbbell.

2 sets Prone Victorian Dumbbell Press, 1st set 12 reps, 2nd set 10 reps. 1 min between sets.

no rotator work.

End of workout.

Joshua Naterman

17Sep2009

Leg day, high volume, low intensity.

warm up: 20 body weight full range squats

10 iso jump squats

workout:

20 reps 135lbs front squat

30 reps 135 lbs back squat: 10 regular, 10 close, 10 wide feet.

30 reps 135 lbs back squat: 15 wide, 5 close, 7 regular, 3 close feet.

1 min rest between each.

14m horse walk

28m duck walk

20 reps 225 lbs deadlift, 10 regular 10 stiff leg

20 reps 225 lbs deadlift, regular.

20 reps 225 lbs deadlift, stiff leg.

8 reps 165 lbs deadlift, thick handles.

6 reps 165 lbs deadlift, thick handles.

60-90 seconds rest between each.

Ab work:

2 sets 9 reps body levers, 5 second lowering.

1 set hanging windshield wipers, 10 reps each side

1 set inverted situps, 8 reps 25 lbs 6 reps bodyweight.

rotator work: Same as usual. Did band exercises too.

Joshua Naterman

18sep2009: Just did Rotators. (ran around in the woods all night!)

19sep2009 rest ( running around in the woods all day!)

20sep2009 rest

21Sep2009 Upper body, high volume, low intensity

warm up: Jumping jacks and arm circles!

workout:

2x10m handstand walks, one 8 second hold at the end. Also did 2 spring into handstand from the tuck position.

5 rounds of:

30 full range dips. Some sets were slow, others were fast. I've always had pretty ridiculous dip ability. Used to do 92 in a row!

15 of each scapula movement: Shrug, bench press shrug, reverse bench press shrug(up and down), dead hang shrug, pushup shrug.

1 set 11 reps seated concentration curl, 40 lb dumbbell

1 set 15 reps prone victorian dumbbell press 30 lb dumbbell

1 set 10 reps prone victorian dumbbell press 30 lb dumbbell. First rep was a 15 second hold at hips, last rep was a 5 second hold at hips, but arms in maltese position.(45 degrees out from body)

rotator work: same as usual.

Joshua Naterman

22sep2009 Girlfriend's Birthday, no gym.

23sep2009 rest

24Sep2009 Lower body, High intensity, low volume

Warmup:

Ido's squat clinic, 50 jumping jacks, 5 iso jump squats.

Workout:

15 reps 135 lbs back squat, regular feet.

8 reps 185 lbs back squat, 4 regular 4 wide feet.

15 reps 245 lbs back squat, 7 regular, 3 close, 5 wide. Concentrated on exploding upwards. Much better performance this time.

1 min rest between sets

Handstand walking, 10 controlled steps!!! I was excited! I continued to do 1bout 8 more handstand holds, a few ugly light spring ups in tuck position as well as a few kick ups.

5 reps stiff leg deadlift 295 lbs

4 reps regular deadlift 365 lbs

2 sets of 4 reps regular deadlift 435 lbs, 45 seconds rest between sets. getting easier on the hands!

2 sets of 10 reps 165 lbs thick handle deadlifts. Noticable less hard, but still really tough! I can feel the strength I have gained in my hands and wrists already. Big difference.

More handstand practice. Good overall. 10m handstand walks, one controlled kick-up and hold at a time.

rotator cuff: same. Feels better now than it did at first. Still burns like hell though!

3 reps 135 straight bar curl. Felt a little funny in the tendons, but the weight feels kind of light. Weird.

8 reps transistion phase of russian curls on the edge of dip bars, getting easier! Forearms have a noticeable downward angle at the bottom now!

2 sets 10 reps body levers, 60s rest between sets. Feel the burn! BUUURN KNUCKLE!!!!!!

1 set 10 reps per side power windshield wipers. I call them power because I am moving from one side to the other as fast as I can. Then I set my position and zoom to the other side, and so on. Feels good :)

more handstand stuff.

End of workout.

Razz
slizzardman said:
22sep2009 Girlfriend's Birthday, no gym.

23sep2009 rest

Too many of your 'extra curricular activities' the day before? :P hahaha jokes man thats some good workouts you get in there!

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes. I admit it. It was a rest from the gym, not a rest from her! :oops:

Ah, I can't wait until I can start planching again, but my front lever is coming along nicely. I will have to wait until tomorrow to train because her birthday party is toni... oh, crap. We have a wedding tomorrow too. Damn it. I might not be able to get in until Sunday!!! That's going to drive me bananas. I think I'm going to hit the gym real quick and see what I can get done in 30 minutes. Sigh :P

I'm glad to see your training is improving as well, my friend! How long before you get to use your injured shoulder?

Joshua Naterman

25Sep2009: Upper body, high intensity, low volume

THis workout got cut short. Had to go to the gf's birthday dinner, it was a family event.

I warmed up, did some tucked FL rows, two negative FL, some dips for warmup, 1 set of 5 and 1 set of 4 HeSPU, and 4 reps of 245 on incline bench.

26,27sep2009: Friend's wedding. There were 2 kegs at the WEDDING. They walked back down the aisle to the Star Wars theme. I am in awe :) Obviously there was one hell of a reception, everyone had a great time, and I needed a recovery day :P

28Sep2009 whole body workout

Well, I needed to do my dips and some rowing, as well as some shrugs, so that's what I did. I didn't eat well for the entire weekend, so I was a bit low on energy.

jumping jacks and bw squats for warmup

5 iso jump squats

3 rounds of:

4 SLS with vertical bar for occasional spot at the bottom followed by 4-5 Shrimp, beginner version. This was done per leg for each round.

30s rest between rounds

1 set 15 dips, bw.

1 rep slow russian dip, forearms can handle a 45 degree downward angle!!! YES! Feels tough, but it's a big step forward.

1 min rest

1 set 12 reps dips, bw+ 65lb dumbbell.

1 min rest

5 HeSPU!

2x 6 second holds flat tuck planche on dip bars! Hell yea! I can slowly start working planches back in!

2 giant sets shrugs:

10 reps each per set: inverted hanging, dip(weighted and bw), pushup, front lever(feet supported on stability ball), thick handle standing.

Scapula are moving better! It's a step.

1 set 50 lb seated concentration curl per arm, 9 reps.

abs: 1 set inverted situps, 15 reps, BW.

Joshua Naterman

05Oct2009: Full body. First day of power training ever! Fun stuff :)

Well, I've never done this specific type of training before. It's all about building strength and applied force.

Everything is with 90% of estimated 1RM, and each set is 3 reps unless otherwise stated.

chest:

3 sets flat 275

2 sets incline 235

3 sets dips bw+100 lb dumbbell, 4 reps. Easier than I thought. I'll have to start wearing weight as well as using the dumbbell.

Back:

3 sets pullups +65 lb dumbbells regular grip, neutral grip, regular grip.

2 sets of ugly bent leg straddle front lever pullups

3 sets bent over rows 275, 235. 235

legs:

3 sets regular squat 275, 285, 285

3 sets wide squat 285

4 sets deadlift 435, last set was only 2 reps.

2 sets stiff deadlift 315, 4 reps

Arms: All curls were easier than I thought they would be. Slight pain in right elbow, not bad. Prehab/rehab is working!

1 set barbell curl 145

2 sets concentration curl 60

1 set hammer curl 60

3 sets victorian press : 40's, 50's(bad form, this was my max it seems), 45's(again bad form, but at least I could do them :P)

3 sets HeSPU 3 reps, 2 reps, 3 reps. These were interspersed throughout the arm section, basically one set after each set of curls.

Abs:

2 sets inverted situps bw+35 lb plate on chest. 6 reps, 7 reps. After the listed number of weighted reps, on a whim I did these to each side and WOW, what a great move. Really feel it down my side and in my hips. I love it!

2 sets body levers 5reps , 6 reps. Performed explosively on the way up, body straight.

1 set windshield wipers 8 reps per side. I was toasted :P

The goal is to move faster each week, not to pile on weight. When I am really exploding, then I will up the weight. Next workout will be Friday, and it will be lower intensity with higher reps, but still fairly heavy. I'll be doing calisthenics and some gymnastics stuff on wednesday

Joshua Naterman

12Oct2009: high intensity: all sets are with 3 reps unless otherwise noted.

note: very poorly rested and fed, bar speed was not what I wanted and there was some fatigue.

3 sets flat bench, 275 lbs.

2 sets incline press, 235 lbs.

3 sets dips bw+100lbs. 5 reps per set.

3 sets weighted pullups, 65 lbs, 4-5 reps.

3 sets bent over rows 5 reps@275, 8 reps@225, 8 reps@225

4 sets squats 285 lbs, 2 sets wide 2 sets regular.

3 sets deadlift, 435 lbs.

5 HeSPU, 3, 2.

18Oct2009 High intensity: All sets are 3 reps unless otherwise noted.

Note: I could tell that I missed my strength peak(Friday afternoon was it, and I could tell too!), but I still felt good. Not as well fed or rested as I should have been.

5 HeSPU

3 sets flat bench @275, felt great.

3 sets incline bench@235, very very easy.

2-3 sets(can't remember) dips, bw+115lbs, 5 full range reps.

1 set bent over row, 275.

3 sets 7-10 reps t-bar row, 180(just plates), 215, 215.

2 sets weighted pullup, 65 lbs.

4 sets squats 285, 2 wide 2 regular

4 sets deadlift 435. The bar at this gym was thicker and smoother. The first set was hard but then my grip adjusted and it was actually easier than the skinnier bar at my regular gym!

2 sets 4 reps front lever pull, full lay.

2 sets lower from inverted to dead hang, full lay.

2 sets body levers, 7-10 reps. Very easy.

1 set straight bar curls, 4 reps. 145 lbs.

3 HeSPU, 3 HeSPU.

20Oct2009 low intensity

1 set 20 reps incline press, 40lb dumbbells

1 set 20 reps flat bench press, 40lb dumbbells

2 sets 20 chest-supported rows, 40 lb dumbbells.

1 set 20 reps Arnold Press, 20 lb dumbbells.

1 set 20 reps MU transition with the lat pulldown bar, 90 lbs. This felt weird, but good. I'll keep doing this.

1 set 20 reps front squat, 45 lbs.

1 set 20 reps straight leg deadlift, 225 lbs.

2 sets 10 reps thick handle deadlift 175 lbs. These were much easier, despite so much time since the last time I trained them. Only had to rest-pause once on the last set.

1 set per arm concentration curls 14 reps, 35 lb dumbbell.

1 set per arm standing reverse curl, 20 reps, 12.5 lbs. No pain! yay! 15 lbs next time.

1 set 8 tuck planche swings

2 set 10 L-sit swings

15 feet straight walking on hands!!! Awesome! 1-2 steps per second, nice and deliberate. Bodyline varied from being good to being awful, but I did it! I'm quite excited about that.

Razz

looking good with the handstand, congratulations :)

Joshua Naterman

22Oct2009 Moderate intensity, moderate volume.

1 set 6 neutral grip pullups

1 set 10 pushups

2 flat straddle front levers, 6 seconds each! I didn't want to push it, this just felt super easy. I pulled from a dead hang, with straight arms the whole way, right up into it. I can't believe how easy it felt!

3 sets flat bench, 12x135, 9x185, 8x225. Not pushing it, just doing what felt comfortable with my shoulder.

3 sets bent over rows, same reps/weight as bench.

2 sets incline bench 10 reps with 185lbs.

2 sets weighted pullups, 7 reps, 40 lbs.

2 sets weighted dips, 15-20 repsx40lbs.

2 sets inverted shrugs/curls, 15 reps.

2 sets squats 15-20 reps@185.

1 set deadlift 12 reps x 285, with a shrug at the top.

1 set 6 reps GHR, 110-135 degree angle, foreheat to floor with arms at head level, up to body straight, then continue as a NLC to the top, repeat.

1 set per leg 5 reps SLS+5 lbs, the weight plate helps a lot! It's heavier, but I can keep my balance way better.

1 set per leg 6 reps The Shrimp. Much more power, cleaner start.

Did 2 sets 2 HeSPU, felt very easy, so on the second set I then did 15 seconds wall handstand run!!! Then 10 second hold, and finally 1 more HeSPU. Damn. I didn't expect to do all that :P All this extra sleep is helping a lot :)

1 set inverted situps, 12 reps straight, then 3 to each side. Felt good, going to the sides is rough :P

A few decent tuck presses to handstand, using a little momentum but not much.

Joshua Naterman

25Oct2009 High intensity

3x3 flat bench 276 lbs.

3x3 incline bench, 246 lbs.

3x5 Dips, 120lb+BW. Getting strong!!!

3x3-4 bent leg straddle front lever rows

3x2 weighted neutral grip pullups, 90 lbs.

3 sets 8-10 reps bent over row, 135, 185, 225.

1x4 straight bar bicep curl 145lbs.

4x3 squat 287

4x3 deadlift 435 EASY!!! I am noticeable stronger on all lifts. Going to be going up 1 lb per week. Slow but steady, baby :)

Joshua Naterman

26Oct2009

6 sets of 3 HeSPU, 3-4 minutes rest per set. I didn't do these yesterday due to me talking too much to people.

2 sets 10 body levers

6 sets 2-3 wide L pullups. These actually feel good! I'm excited :) My shoulder is starting to work better and my elbows don't hurt during these.

2 sets 13 reps reverse curls, 15 lb dumbbell. No pain! Last week these hurt, so I used 12 lb. Good improvement!

1 set 12 reps weighted inverted situps, 25 lbs.

3 sets 10 reps standing upper rotator work at the cable machine, rope attachment, neutral grip. Kick ass! I like how it feels. I'll do my internal and external rotator work after class this evening with my girlfriend. That will be:

2 sets 6-10 reps horizontal external rotation, 25 lb dumbbell.

2 sets 15 reps horizontal internal rotation, 25 lb dumbbell. No, that's not even close to my limit. It hurts my right shoulder to do more at the moment :P

2 sets 8-10 reps standing raise in the plane of the scapula. 15-20 lbs. Not sure what will feel better as of right now.

Joshua Naterman

27Oct2009

I did this whole workout in a little under 30 minutes.

5 minutes warmup

2 sets 20 dips

4 sets 5 pullups

1 set 20 reps incline press, 40 lb dumbbells

1 set 20 reps flat bench, 40 lb dumbbells

2 sets chest supported rows 20 reps, 40 lb dumbbells

1 set 20 straight leg deadlifts, 225 lbs

2 sets 10 reps thick handle deadlifts, 175. First set was straight through!!! Second set I only got 7, then 2, then 1.

1 set 30 bodyweight squats

1 set 20 reps back squat 135 lbs

1 set 15 reps 35 lb dumbbells concentration curl

2 sets 10 reps 15 lb dumbbells reverse curls

1 set muscle up transition with lat pulldown bar, 90 lbs.

1 set 20 reps arnold press/shoulder press 35 lb dumbbells. 10 reps each as one set of 20 total.

I feel like I am missing something, but I can't remember what.

Razz

You must have been running from station to station in that workout :lol: :twisted: