This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

Seiji

DEFINITELY.

I like the pictures of bent over presses, I'm amazed they don't have bad backs.

Joshua Naterman

You wouldn't be if you tried the bent-over press. It feels really, really good!

Joshua Naterman

17Nov2009 HeSPU with 4 inch extra ROM, via books taped together as hand platforms :)

Well, damn. These are really hard. I did 3 singles with a negative afterwards, one negative by itself, and then one negative followed by a hands on the floor single.

2 sets 13 kettlebell swings per arm, then switch mid-air to other arm. This is actually a little fatiguing with the 72 lb kettlebell! I have to clean up my clean and snatch form with the heavier weight. but they are still quite easy. I definitely felt these strongly in the hamstrings, surprisingly (to me).

Let's see, I've been doing band work every day, just a little a few times a day, chest expander type stuff.

After class I went to the gym and did the following:

3 sets 20-30 seconds of deep angle swiss ball advanced tuck planche. I did the third set with maltese width, and oh my GOD it was hard. THe angle I am using is sufficient for a good straddle planche, so I am hoping to build the requisite strength for that pretty soon, probably in the next six months or so. These are honestly more challenging than the actual adv tuck planche lol! Crazy, huh. They are a great way for me to carefully control the intensity of the straight arm work, and I have to thank Blairbob again for mentioning them, because I probably wouldn't have thought to use them.

I did two half reps in neutral position of pullups, bottom half of rep, followed by 4 partials with 135. I did two sets of that, one set of wide partials, and one set of regular. NO elbow pain!!!

Set of 12 reps reverse curls with 25 lb dumbbells, NO PAIN!!! YES!

I jumped up into the rafters and did full lay front lever pulls, one set with bodyweight, and one set with two one pound ankle weights. I was surprised at the noticeable increase in difficulty. 5 reps for the weighted set, 10 for unweighted.

1 set of dumbbell bent press, the real bent press, with 100 lbs. That shit is hard, man. The old-time strongmen did this with 300+ lbs!!! I am going to be a strong Mo-Fo when I can do that. Success with the left arm, fail with the right arm. I snatched the dumbbell overhead in both cases with ease. I will start working negatives on this to build some strength and motor learning.

1 set of victorian dumbbell press, 30 lbbs, 12 reps. DId these fairly wide.

I did a few dips, I can go all the way from vertical forearms above the bar to nearly vertical forearm below the bar with no problem. Kick ASS. I can't go up because of shoulder pain in the right when I try, but that is fading. Hooray!

Razz

Looks like your elbows and shoulders are better..awesome!

Joshua Naterman

Shoulder is still a work in progress, but progress there is! :) The chest expander training is doing wonders for my shoulders. I am rather fond of the strand pulling now ^_^

As a point of interest, the front lever pulls were done on an I-beam type surface with 1.5 inches for me to grip with my fingers. Not quite fingertips, but still, not a bar to hang onto :) I like ledge work. Eventually I plan on being able to do these with .75-.5" of surface, true fingertip front lever and front lever pulls.

Joshua Naterman

Update:

I have new equipment. I have a log that I wrapped in a yoga mat for comfort and safety, I am making an individual finger trainer, waiting for my drill battery to charge so I can assemble the parts I made, I have made a 3" thick bar attachment to do thick bar work on bench press and whatnot!!! Hell yea!!! And reverse curls, too. I am going to make thick bar handles for dumbbells as well, but that will come later. Right now I am mega excited about my log, my spare tire that I found like it was waiting for me at a stop light on the way home (rim and all!) so I can use that for odd lifts as well as sled runs, and I got the chains for the Automatic Exerciser! It is coming!!! DUN DUN DUMMMMMM!!!!!

Joshua Naterman

I took a dip video, a swiss ball planche video, and a planche lean video. I will be posting them sometime this week, since I have to send out a sociology project and go comfort my girlfriend, who is apparently not doing well with her art work. Sigh. :P

Today's workout:

Warmup: cartwheels, handstands, handstand walking, pushups, squats, duck walking.

workout:

Flat bench:2 sets 5 reps 277 lbs. 5th rep was spotted with both. A little weak, but for the first full ROM workout since before I was sick not bad.

Bent over rows: 2 sets 10 reps 227, 1 set 6 reps 277. My form has improved noticeably with 227. Almost perfectly horizontal :)

Weighted pullups: 2 sets 3 reps bw+ 90 lbs.

Squats: 2 sets 3 reps @ 285. Man, these were tough. I got weak :(

Deadlift: 2 sets 4 reps @ 437. Tough, had to rest pause the last rep of set 2.

1 set bent straddle front lever rows

1 set 10 reps full lay front lever pulls

3 sets quarter rep leg press. 990 lbs, 1060 lbs, 1310 lbs. 10 reps each set. Those are just the weight plates not including the apparatus, and the last set had a 250 lb guy on top of it all lol!There was just no more room on the damn thing.

2 sets GHR, 5 reps. piked torso. These are still tough, haven't done them in forever.

3 sets wide rings support. Holy shit, batman! These are tough as hell. The rings were about 4 feet apart with maybe 3 foot straps, 4 at the most, so I had to SQUEEZE IN the whole time. OH MAN. Chest, blasted. Biceps, blasted. I like this.

Joshua Naterman

As promised, here are the videos.

Weighted dips, 90 lbs + 229 bodyweight(with clothes, not including the wrist weights)

cq9BGfZ78b0

Swiss Ball planches

kezjQF2yQ0w

Planche lean

FaHvo4Ek1uo

I'd like to point out that I was done with the workout when I did these. I did the workout in the above post right before I took these. I figured that since I was there and I had two new batteries, and since my camera will still shoot movies even though it won't do still shots (WTF), why not :)

Razz

"yo this is slizzardman" haha that made me laugh :P nice videos

Gregor

Why did you need wrists weights?

You can go a litlle more further in planche lean (I always had a something soft in front for safty because of face plant :oops: ).

Joshua Naterman

Razz: Yea' I'm a goof. :P

Gregor: I forget I have them on!!! I wear them all day long, unless I am sleeping or showering. Over time, it builds to blindingly fast hand speed. It only works as long as you wear weights, once you take them off the effect goes away. It makes your body think it is heavier because the weight is always there. So when you compete without it, you're always faster, stronger, and more agile. Once you reach your limits at your bodyweight, start wearing light weights all the time! 1 lb on the arms, 2.5 on the legs, maybe 10 around the waist. In a few months your strength will go up just from your body thinking it is heavier and getting stronger as a result! It really works, there are quite a few studies on the effects of artificially increasing bodyweight that prove it :) This, all by itself, is helping my elbows some.

Joshua Naterman

Let's see... Exciting news! I have overhauled my training regimen. I am doing multiple sessions a day, just twice a week. Oddly, or perhaps not due to greater recovery time, I am feeling better today than I usually do after workouts.

22Nov2009 My birthday! I'm officially 28!

Session 1: Heavy weights, Full ROM. 2:30 pm.

regular bench: 277

2 sets 5 reps

Pullups: 90 lbs

4 sets 3-5 reps

fat bar(3") bench: 247 note: This is SO much harder than regular bar bench with 275!!! My chest even worked more.

3 sets 5 reps

regular squat: 297

3 sets 5 reps, 2 sets regular, 1 set wide.

smith bottom start squat 317 lbs

1 set, 7 reps

deadlifts 437 Getting stronger!!!

3 sets 4 reps

Body levers

1 set 10 reps.

Weighted dips 90. 110. 110

10 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps.

Elevated HeSPU: 4 inch hand elevation.

2 reps, 1 rep and a slow negative, 2 reps! Hell yea!!!

fat bar curl: 135

2 reps. With a one finger spot. Damn. This is hard!!!

Session 2: Heavy partials on smith machine and leg press. 10 pm.

shoulder press: 185, 225, 275, 295.

10, 10, 10, 10. I only really rested between 275 and 295, the others are just warm up.

Flat Bench: 315, 405, 505+6 feet of chain, so at least 520.

10, 10 , 13. first two sets are warm up.

Bent-over Row: 405 + the chains

Deadlift Rack Pull: 505 + the chains

Leg press: this is a little silly. Next time I will provide video. Weights listed are only in plate value, I am not factoring in the machine itself. 810, 1080, 1200, 1425.

15, 15, 10, 7. 1425 is really, really heavy. I'll get at least 10 next time, I think.

Pullups: 135 lbs.

3 sets 3-5 partial reps wide, neutral, reverse.

Wide rings, close support: Max width on the machine I hang them on, which is around 4.5 feet I think, max width - 8 inches total.

15 seconds, couldn't straighten arms. 20 seconds, arms almost perfectly straight, but body inclined forward. This is really, really tough. I fought back to vertical in the middle 7 seconds or so, my GOD it is hard.

Razz
slizzardman said:
Let's see... Exciting news! I have overhauled my training regimen. I am doing multiple sessions a day, just twice a week. Oddly, or perhaps not due to greater recovery time, I am feeling better today than I usually do after workouts.

22Nov2009 My birthday! I'm officially 28!

congratulations :D

and sounds exciting with the new training

Gregor

Congrats!

Joshua Naterman

Thanks guys :) I am feeling amazingly good today. The soreness will come, I am sure of it. I haven't been doing this nearly long enough for my body to be used to it.

Off days will be SOME light calisthenics, and of course my band work continues! IT has really made a huge difference in my shoulders, I am excited about seeing how far I can take that strength. I still practice my free handstands randomly throughout most days, at least a few times. Slow but steady improvements!!! I am doing planche leans a few times a week, and they are actually getting easy because of the swiss ball work. I am surprised at how hard the swiss ball planches are!

The last key to success will be eating a lot and stretching :) At least I have more time available for the stretching now! :P

Joshua Naterman

Soreness never really came. I guess my body adapts really quickly to this stuff. Here are some more training videos.

Body levers:

KAGjicGSRNw

Partial iron cross, flat tuck planche, and l-sit on rings. Not the best because I am being cautious with my elbows. My girlfriend did not do a good job with camera angles so you can't see that at the end my planche is level.

urWax77j-G4

Ugly front lever work:

KJ-UKlsL778

Back lever:

JhqD80icGec

SLS:

KiYKJc4VQa0

Overall, not bad for a guy my size, but I can be SO much better. It's coming too. In a few years I will be able to do many of the high level techniques. Well, strength side anyways :P Maybe not the swings!

jl5555

Thanks for the vids, it's always good to see where other people are in their workouts. Nice slippers...

sasquatch

I didn't know you were even real slizzardman. :shock: .... I thought you were maybe making up some of the stuff you said you could do.

Those are pretty impressive moves for your size, you inspired me to train harder.

Gregor

GREAT!

Do you do an iron cross (lower), with out of press?

Joshua Naterman

I can get the cross around 75-80 degrees when my elbows feel better, but instead of trying that I am going to slowly widen the rings, so that it gets harder where I am. That way I don't hurt myself when it gets really REALLY hard at the bottom :)

Sasquatch - I'm glad my videos are inspiring, I wish I had some from before I injured my elbows :P I was doing the front lever for about 3 seconds on the long rings. No way in hell I can do that right now!!! I've got videos of my heavy partial work too, I'm making sure that people can see progress and how long it takes with good training. My planche is terrible right now on the floor, but it's betting better :) I won't show a video of that until I can do a proper flat tuck :P

jl5555: Hell yea! slippers are the bomb! I usually have my five fingers though, like tonight :)

Razz

Dude you are pretty damn strong :twisted:

and keep watching over your shoulders.. shoulder injuries just suck balls :lol:

Joshua Naterman

Thanks :) I am looking forward to us all seeing the progress we make over the next few years, I hope to be able to get some more intelligent education out there on training practices and how people can get the most out of their workout time.

Joshua Naterman
Gregor said:
GREAT!

Do you do an iron cross (lower), with out of press?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you mean can I lower down to there and then press back up, yes. I haven't done that in a while because I know my elbows aren't strong enough yet :) I won't be doing them like you for a long time lol! But I will one day, you just watch!

Gregor

No I meant just lower to line and without any press.

Joshua Naterman

I doubt it, honestly. By spring time, absolutely :)