It's funny you say that, we were doing PNF stretching in class today and the lady who was stretching my chest was like HOLY CRAP, your arms are ridiculously heavy for the size they are! I thought that was pretty funny, she's been in the industry for a long time now so I didn't know what to say other than "I guess, I train to have a lot of contractile fibers so the muscles are pretty dense." What else DO you say to that? "It's my adamantium skeleton." Maybe that would have been funnier! ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
NaterMania
Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views
Haha! I can EASILY imagine that. Your arms do look really heavy. Reminds me of Bruce Lee... "warm marble" 'n all, you know. ![]()
The worlds strongest boy had this condition.
You might have the single mutation - as you referred to ease of muscle development -
combined with great training of course! ![]()
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/myosta ... ypertrophy
How do people inherit myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy?
Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy has a pattern of inheritance known as incomplete autosomal dominance. People with a mutation in both copies of the MSTN gene in each cell (homozygotes) have significantly increased muscle mass and strength. People with a mutation in one copy of the MSTN gene in each cell (heterozygotes) also have increased muscle bulk, but to a lesser degree.
Comeon guys Slizzardman is not a mutant, he has been working hard and consistently for many years.
Slizzardman: Great video, you leaned out a good bit man. Looking forward to seeing that full planche one day. Maybe even in person if I make it to a US seminar ![]()
Lol! I am about as far away from myostatin deficiency as you can get. I am smaller and stronger than almost everyone in the gym. Well, I'm bigger than most, but compared to other people my weight I am significantly more compact, and I am stronger than most of the guys walking around at 220-230 that are even remotely close to my height.
Like Razz says, there's no genetic abnormality responsible. I just know how things work now! I routinely get the exact same results with people I work with, regardless of how skinny or bulky they are. Our bodies all function in a remarkably predictable way, and while some people can get away with doing things that won't work for most of us they also respond exceptionally well to what works for all of us. It's all about stress/strain curves.
Razz, we'll definitely meet in person one of these days, and a full planche you WILL see! On rings as well, eventually.
slizzardman said:Razz, we'll definitely meet in person one of these days, and a full planche you WILL see! On rings as well, eventually.
I wish there was a "like button" on the Forum!
slizzardman said:Lol! I am about as far away from myostatin deficiency as you can get. I am smaller and stronger than almost everyone in the gym. Well, I'm bigger than most, but compared to other people my weight I am significantly more compact, and I am stronger than most of the guys walking around at 220-230 that are even remotely close to my height.Like Razz says, there's no genetic abnormality responsible. I just know how things work now! I routinely get the exact same results with people I work with, regardless of how skinny or bulky they are. Our bodies all function in a remarkably predictable way, and while some people can get away with doing things that won't work for most of us they also respond exceptionally well to what works for all of us. It's all about stress/strain curves.
Razz, we'll definitely meet in person one of these days, and a full planche you WILL see! On rings as well, eventually.
Just to set the record straight I would never say you are deficient in anything - especially to your face!
I just figured one gene might have be tweaked - in garage experiment or something ![]()
Btw, have you ever particpated in as a guinea pig in exercise/medical studies?
I have done a few and they are quite interesting (besides providing some tax-free cash as a honorarium).
They usually taks place in large medical/university centers, and are advertised in craigslist.
Strain stress curves. Interesting ... will look into that!
HAHAHA! My garage isn't that advanced yet!
I am going to participate in a study this fall so I can help calibrate the DEXA machine! That will be my first. I will definitely not be doing any biopsy stuff any time soon, I don't like the idea of that.
slizzardman said:HAHAHA! My garage isn't that advanced yet!I am going to participate in a study this fall so I can help calibrate the DEXA machine! That will be my first. I will definitely not be doing any biopsy stuff any time soon, I don't like the idea of that.
Yeah, core samples of your quad. Not my thing either.
Damn I just had a Dexa performed and it cost me $150 ![]()
Hopefully you able to get a valid Dexa report out of it, besides any stipend!
Wow you lost a TON of weight, the vast majority of it being fat. I remember seeing some of your videos back then and comparing your physique now and then, you could enter a natural bodybuilding competition (if you are interested in wearing tight pants and posing on a stage to other men
). You have truly used Coach's book and built a gymnastic body (bulky one too).
I'm wondering, were you a skinny guy in the past or were you blessed with good genetics?
CalisthenicGod said:Wow you lost a TON of weight, the vast majority of it being fat. I remember seeing some of your videos back then and comparing your physique now and then, you could enter a natural bodybuilding competition (if you are interested in wearing tight pants and posing on a stage to other men). You have truly used Coach's book and built a gymnastic body (bulky one too).
I'm wondering, were you a skinny guy in the past or were you blessed with good genetics?
I was 6' tall and 160 lbs going into my senior year of high school. That ain't big. I was 182 lbs by the middle of the spring, but I trained correctly and ate like a garbage disposal!
The training we do here definitely has completely changed my body for the better. I look better AND I move so much better! It's really nice to hear all the positive feedback!
I can jump high enough to dunk now. Wrist to rim. Crazy! That's a good 5 inch gain in the last month with no technique practice. I expect another 5 inches in 2-3 months. All I'm doing is calf work, slowly progressing my plyo work, and ankle extensions. I haven't even been working Olympic lifts much yet.
I am also finding one arm one leg push ups to be extremely therapeutic for serratus anterior strength and activity! I like these a lot and will be keeping them in my routines. I am, of course, being very careful to activate serratus (especially upper fibers) during the entire movement. I believe these will lead to some significant strength gains. Currently I am spotting with the off hand.
slizzardman said:I can jump high enough to dunk now. Wrist to rim. Crazy! That's a good 5 inch gain in the last month with no technique practice. I expect another 5 inches in 2-3 months. All I'm doing is calf work, slowly progressing my plyo work, and ankle extensions. I haven't even been working Olympic lifts much yet.I am also finding one arm one leg push ups to be extremely therapeutic for serratus anterior strength and activity! I like these a lot and will be keeping them in my routines. I am, of course, being very careful to activate serratus (especially upper fibers) during the entire movement. I believe these will lead to some significant strength gains. Currently I am spotting with the off hand.
************* I actually had good results in the early 80's from what is now called "the strength shoe"! Talk about calf extension.
Brandon Green
slizzardman said:I can jump high enough to dunk now. Wrist to rim. Crazy! That's a good 5 inch gain in the last month with no technique practice. I expect another 5 inches in 2-3 months. All I'm doing is calf work, slowly progressing my plyo work, and ankle extensions. I haven't even been working Olympic lifts much yet.I am also finding one arm one leg push ups to be extremely therapeutic for serratus anterior strength and activity! I like these a lot and will be keeping them in my routines. I am, of course, being very careful to activate serratus (especially upper fibers) during the entire movement. I believe these will lead to some significant strength gains. Currently I am spotting with the off hand.
That's impressive, a 5 inch gain in that short period of time is nothing to scoff at. Nice work.
cccp22 said:slizzardman said:I can jump high enough to dunk now. Wrist to rim. Crazy! That's a good 5 inch gain in the last month with no technique practice. I expect another 5 inches in 2-3 months. All I'm doing is calf work, slowly progressing my plyo work, and ankle extensions. I haven't even been working Olympic lifts much yet.I am also finding one arm one leg push ups to be extremely therapeutic for serratus anterior strength and activity! I like these a lot and will be keeping them in my routines. I am, of course, being very careful to activate serratus (especially upper fibers) during the entire movement. I believe these will lead to some significant strength gains. Currently I am spotting with the off hand.
************* I actually had good results in the early 80's from what is now called "the strength shoe"! Talk about calf extension.
Brandon Green
SO did my buddy Mike! He just wore them ALL summer and fall, and by the end of fall he was practically touching his elbow to the rim! It was crazy.
slizzardman said:CalisthenicGod said:Wow you lost a TON of weight, the vast majority of it being fat. I remember seeing some of your videos back then and comparing your physique now and then, you could enter a natural bodybuilding competition (if you are interested in wearing tight pants and posing on a stage to other men). You have truly used Coach's book and built a gymnastic body (bulky one too).
I'm wondering, were you a skinny guy in the past or were you blessed with good genetics?
I was 6' tall and 160 lbs going into my senior year of high school. That ain't big. I was 182 lbs by the middle of the spring, but I trained correctly and ate like a garbage disposal!
The training we do here definitely has completely changed my body for the better. I look better AND I move so much better! It's really nice to hear all the positive feedback!
****************** Any high school fotball or track in your background ?
Brandon Green
Not unless you count a half season of football in 9th grade! ![]()
Well, time for an update: I have almost made up for the lost progress from what will henceforth be known as Rise of the Cookie Dough Monster.
I did my first really serious interval workout and it was great, I thought I was going to puke for each of the last 3 sprints. That's what you want, believe it or not. If you don't feel nauseous after your interval workout you didn't actually reach your lactate threshold.
The workout, for those who would like to emulate it:
400m, 1:14.
2 min rest
400m, 1:05.
2 min rest
200m, 35s
60s rest
200m 39s
60s rest
200m 37s
80s rest
200m 38s
It's just 1.5 miles total but MAN it was brutal. It felt great, and it should be noted that my 200M times were running 100m one way down the track, turning around, and coming 100m back to the start. This makes the times slower than they should be and it made the sprints WAY harder too. 400m was a full lap. True 200m times are probably 4-6s faster than posted.
In a week or two I will add 4 100m sprints at the end, with 30-40s of rest.
The purpose of this set up is to build the highest possible lactate levels while allowing for a safe warm up. You never want to do true sprints before really being careful to perform a scaled warm up, which is more or less why the structure is what it is. A 15s 100m would be the split for a 60s 400, and that's a pretty quick 400m yet nowhere NEAR a true sprint speed for most of us!
Don't ever try to blast out of the blocks without having 2-3 flying sprints behind you first. I didn't try to do a hard start at all, which also slows down the times a little. It's over 4 hours later and my heart rate is still somewhat elevated. Awesome!
I'm going to do more sprints this afternoon, since I feel really good. Double dose of fat loss, here I come! I'll do a slow jog tomorrow.
YES!!!! I got 2 A+ and 1 A! GPA of 4.2 something for the summer! I should not be able to get my merit scholarships. Hell yea!!! Life is good. I am also starting to write the material for my soon-ish to be online website! I am also writing some blog articles. I'm looking forward to getting this stuff off the ground!
"Bloody well done, mate!"
Congratulations ![]()
I love it when colleges allow you to get a 4.+ grade.. that's just awesome.
That's very impressive Slizz.
Congratulations man, you most definately earned it. Looking forward to the site!
Thanks guys!
I love the +/- system, I always thought it was bullshit when someone could get a 91 and look the same on a transcript as me. What can I say, things are looking up! ![]()
Razz: You'll be one of the first to know when it's up! It will be a constantly growing project but I think it's going to go global. There will be a lot of stuff directing people here too, so it should be good for everyone. I'll post articles discussing stuff we do here and require that all gymnastic-specific discussion happen here, as well as promote the materials Coach sells.
I've also got 2 inventions that are going into final design phase now and they should be great sellers!
slizzardman said:YES!!!! I got 2 A+ and 1 A! GPA of 4.2 something for the summer! I should not be able to get my merit scholarships. Hell yea!!! Life is good. I am also starting to write the material for my soon-ish to be online website! I am also writing some blog articles. I'm looking forward to getting this stuff off the ground!
******************** By the way what is your degree going to be in ?
Brandon Green
cccp22 said:slizzardman said:YES!!!! I got 2 A+ and 1 A! GPA of 4.2 something for the summer! I should not be able to get my merit scholarships. Hell yea!!! Life is good. I am also starting to write the material for my soon-ish to be online website! I am also writing some blog articles. I'm looking forward to getting this stuff off the ground!******************** By the way what is your degree going to be in ?
Brandon Green
... you are gifted athletically and academically. Plus you have a gift of online gab.
You should do well in your business. Keep your feet on the ground and your head in the stars!
(Feel like I'm signing a yearbook).
Your math gets me though -- isn't your sprint workout 1 mile long, not 1.5? I get 1600m total