Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the problem with doing as many reps as you can?

Saito

Hmm well, that's what the Hitman told me, maybe he lied. But, is every exercise you can do really "basic" compared to others?

I think normal pushups are probably more in the basic category than any of the exercises done on parallel bars.

If I were to keep increasing and increasing reps of a basic pushups, then I'd say I'm doing only cardio. But to me every exercise in parallel bars are much more difficult than simple pushups.

Many here told me you ain't getting big just by upping the reps, but let's hold up a minute and clearly define what kind of "big" are we talking about here. Of course I'm not talking about gym-freak bodybuilder enourmous size, like ronnie coleman or arnold, that's obviously impossible. I was talking more like gymnast-like build, very defined but with muscles too.

And, again, i have to ask; do you think that, by just increasing the reps and just that, you will get really no size at all? Never? Is that how it is?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbryk

• Nic Scheelings

• griffdrc

• Saito

George Launchbury

Hi Saito,

This topic has been answered many times, both clearly and accurately. I'm not sure you're going to be content with any answers you will recieve here, since they seem to be at odds with your pre-conceptions, so perhaps you need to do some thinking about what your goals actually are? To help you, on a very basic level:

I want the Size of a Gymnast

If you just want to be the size of a typical gymnast, then that is pretty simple. Follow bodybuilding protocols and stop when you feel you are big enough. You won't be as strong as a gymnast of the same size, your strength-to-weight ratio won't be anywhere near, and you won't have developed the skills, or the attributes prerequisite to develop them, along the way. Oh yes ...You also won't look like a Gymnast!

I want the Physique of a Gymnast

If you want the specific physique of a Gymnast (and we're not just talking size here - muscle 'shape', tone, density, posture etc. are major players in the look), then you must train strength and conditioning as a gymnast does. Form follows function, there are no shortcuts. This is true of any specific physique: If you want to look like a sprinter, swimmer, decathlete, weightlifter, yogi, bodybuilder, martial artist ...you will need to train the way they train.

For the former (easy, inferior, faster) option - head over to T-Nation (might not be work/family safe). For the latter you will find everything you need to know here and in Coach's current/future publications, but it will require a change in mindset and openness to new ideas.

I hope you eventually find what you are looking for,

George.

PS: Yes, you might get some size gains from simply adding reps - depending on relative load/intensity, genetics, previous training history, general health, nutrition, etc. If you are already training, it's highly unlikely to be anything impressive. Give it a go for a few months and see what happens.