Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greetings from Newcastle-upon-Tyne!

Chris Edgar

Chris Edgar

Hello there Gymnastic Bodies community!

My name is Chris Edgar and I am a 21 year old student studying mechanical engineering in Newcastle.

I have been an avid reader of these forums for the past 6 months and like everyone else here, I cannot believe the wealth of information being posted here by such knowledgeable and friendly bunch of people. I think it is high time I introduced myself and became an active member of the forum!

So anyway a bit about myself...

I'm around 6' 3" and approximately 190-195lbs.

I have been into resistance training for around 5 years and have always been active in various sports. (they seem to be getting increasing 'extreme' over the years and my current passions are rock climbing and wakeboarding, along with playing on my slackline)

About 2 years ago I developed an infatuation with calisthenics, mostly stemming from watching parkour/gymnastics videos on youtube. I started messing around with handstands and other random levers and holds (admittedly not with the best form) and quickly discovered; as many others before me have when starting body-weight training; that I was not nearly as strong as I thought I was.

In fact I would go so far to say that all of the muscle i built weight lifting was practically useless as far as functionality goes and if anything it had just made me heavier.

From that point on my training took a massive paradigm shift and bodyweight conditioning quickly became the sole focus of my training sessions. I discovered that progressing into more complex movements and static positions if infinitely more rewarding than adding a few kilos to a bar each month... and I was hooked!

To cut a long story short, I made the same mistakes everyone else did, I was way too impatient, tried progressing too quick, I put too much focus on anterior delt work (I suppose this could be likened to working glory muscles in weight lifting), not enough joint prep, not enough scapular mobilization, flexibility training was non existent, etc, etc, etc.

But then i found Gymnastic Bodies...

Again due to having the mindset of a typical student ( read thinking you know best), coupled with being quite wary due to reading a lot of garbage on the internet over the years, i butchered coach's work and hacked random pieces of information and inserted them where i thought they belonged, making my own program. This worked for some time but i quickly became quick sore, popping in the joints was a common occurrence, and to make matters worse i was beginning to plateau across the board.

So about 3 months ago, after reading more and more of the forum (most nights), I came to the realization that not only is the full WODs program going to be better than anything i can come up with, it is actually more than likely the most comprehensive training program available free over the internet, coupled with a fantastic community to lend advice where needed.

So feeling quite sheepish, tail between legs, i came crawling back to the WODs, learnt my pre reqs and left my ego at the door to begin the WODs properly.

Since then i have come on quite away, my accomplishments at my most recent test were as follows...

FSPs

FL- straddle, properly retracted- 20s

BL- half lay, palms down- 20s

PL- adv tuck - 25s

L sit- adv- 35s

Handstand- 80s

FBEs

15 HeSPU

PPP+

Bowers x 2 consecutively (whilst quite drunk and showing off too i might add, maybe not my cleverest move but one i am quite proud of none the less)

18 deadhang slow pull ups

rolling muscle up

Galimore- full lay to adv tuck on rings

3 full ROM slow XR HSPU

SLS

Obviously I came into the WODs with a half decent level of strength but the WODs have caused considerable gains and I feel stronger every workout! Not only that but my shoulder issues are clearing up, I'm eating and sleeping right, I have honestly never felt better! I am only sorry I didn't start sooner! I hope with another year under my belt I'll be popping out the slow straddle planche push ups and other advanced FBEs, showing that us bigger guys can do it too!

So anyway I think a big overdue thank you is in order for Coach, for providing such a great service to us fitness enthusiasts, you have done a fantastic job and i hope one day in the not to distant future to come to a seminar and thank you in person!

I think Josh Naterman deserves alot of praise for spending a considerable amount of his personal time helping out 100s of people over the years via this forum.

And I'd also like to thank John Sapinoso for his videos, which have been a continuing inspiration to me.

Thank you to everyone else too and i look forward to becoming an active member of the board!

Yours,

Chris Edgar.

• Upvote 1

Chris Edgar

Thanks Blairbob... my first reply on gymnastic bodies!!! :)

I do have one concern that I was hoping some of the community could give me a bit of advice on....

When I was 13 I had a pretty bad fracture in my right forearm (distal compound fracture of the radius and ulna). This resulted in me having to get metal plates on both bones, so I have had 2 titanium plates and 8 screws in my arm for the past 8 years. At first it didn't bother me, but now that my forearm muscles are starting to develop I am starting to feel some discomfort, especially whilst climbing ( i get alot of lactic acid build up round the plates/ lymph glands don't work properly)

I assume the obvious advice here is to get them taken out A.S.A.P?

Obviously my only reasons for not getting them out already are vain... i.e. loss of strength/ muscle definition, or having to backtrack a few months training...

How much impact do you reckon it could have in my training?

Thanks again guys, you lot are awesome! :)

VeganMartin

Wecome Chris.

A kna what yer mean aboot tryin' to dee things fer yersel but it's reet better ter larn from the exports so yer divent borst owt. (Assuming you speak Geordie).

If you don't need the metal work and it's having an adverse effect, it's probably better to get it out. Your medic should be able to advise.

• 1 year later...
Newcastle Dan

Chris, fellow Geordie, you have literally a few moments ago - inspired me to join this forum!

This is my first post of any kind on here... So far the forum looks a cut above the rest and I'm pretty glad to have seen your post. Looks like you may have saved me some time with the advice! :)

Admittedly I came across your post after googling "newcastle callisthenics"... I was looking to see if there was any other newcastle people/groups involved in calisthenics which I could get to chat to as there were none on facebook.

Anyway, I imagine you are much much much more advanced than me, and are likely able to do moves above the bar such as muscle-ups? If so, I was wondering what set up/bar you had for them exercises? I've been thinking about installing a barbell between the trees in a forested area near the Punch Bowl, in Jesmond.

Also what uni did you go to? I was studying at Northumbria a year ago.

Cheers for the post! Looking forward to hearing from you and all others based in newcastle.

Peace,

Dan.

Connor Davies

Given that he can perform gallimores (front lever to planche), I'd say he can perform muscleups.

Have you considered getting rings?  They make setting up on trees a breeze.  Just loop one strap through the other and sling them over a tree branch.

They're far more versatile as well.

• Upvote 1

Newcastle Dan

Have you considered getting rings?  They make setting up on trees a breeze.  Just loop one strap through the other and sling them over a tree branch.

They're far more versatile as well.

Sounds like a great idea.

Although, I am a total beginner to calisthenics though, so I dunno, I guess rings are a bit too advanced..unless I use some to hold a bar up maybe. I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that if - muscle-ups are the next best thing for me to focus on; doing so with a chin up bar would be best for a beginner? Just looking at this forum though - I see there is plenty of info I aught to read to have a good foundation/basis for development. If there is anything that you recommend for me to start reading up on - do say   :D

Connor Davies

I am assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that if - muscle-ups are the next best thing for me to focus on; doing so with a chin up bar would be best for a beginner?

In order of difficulty it goes:

Bar muscleup (explosive)

Ring muscleup (explosive)

Ring muscleup (slow)

Bar muscleup (slow)

The thing with rings though, is that they're useful for quite a lot more than muscleups. Even working pushups with them is fantastic (they move in a frictionless plane, which is a different and preferable kind of instability than pivoting around a fixed point, like a bosu ball) they also allow you to turn them out at the top of each rep, which is fantastic for pec activation.

Really that's the beauty of rings (well, apart from aesthetically with iron crosses and the like) it's that you can rotate your hands during the movement. You've got small muscles that cross your elbows that I can guarantee aren't getting enough work, and being able to rotate during say, a pullup, will work these very effectively.

Rings are simply more organic. We're not really designed to work endless repetitions in very fixed positions (although boy, does it work!) so you're more likely to develop imbalances and joint/tendon problems doing pullups off a bar than off rings. Even better than rings is climbing a rope, but a rope isn't as versatile as rings. I mean, I've never seen a rope muscleup....

But don't be scared to jump on the rings thinking they're too advanced. Sure, it's pretty easy to hurt yourself if you try to work above your level. But as long as you focus on volume rather than pure strength, you should be keeping things safe. I assume you're too smart to try to jump into cross work without proper prep, but even RTO support and german hangs are a recipe for disaster if you haven't taken the time to work up to them.

If there is anything that you recommend for me to start reading up on - do say :D

Obviously the best place to start would be the Foundation/Handstand package. I guarantee you it will serve you better than any program you can make for yourself. But it does require some equipment. The reason I like it so much, (apart from all the hand holding that takes you from absolute beginner to human flags, manna ect) is that it really highlights your weaknesses and the areas you need to work on. Generally most DIY programs are lacking in mobility work and handbalancing, both of which are crucial in order to master advanced calisthenics.

I can't recommend a particular book or anything (but this forum should cover most of it) but you should look into straight arm strength. Conditioning your elbows is vital if you want to perform planche, front lever, iron cross etc.

It's hard to say what you really need to work on, brush up on ect because I don't know you, your training, your deficiencies or whatever. But I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Hope I could help! ^_^

• Upvote 1

Newcastle Dan

Sound!

Thanks for such an insightful and thorough response. Ill certainly look into all of that. I'm just glad to know the right section to start on even. I guess theres nothing more to say, I'll get to it.  :D

• 3 weeks later...
Newcastle Dan

[...]not only is the full WODs program going to be better than anything i can come up with, it is actually more than likely the most comprehensive training program available free over the internet [...]

So was he wrong when he said that the programme was free then? Because I cannot find a free programme on here. The main thing that drawn me here is that I might be able to get some real knowledge for free. Its a cheeky ask I know...but I genuinely cannot afford it for the foreseeable future. And I think it all sounds pricey when compared to the cost of a book I would likely pay for.

Connor Davies

Ah, the WOD's were back in the old days, before F1 was released.  I don't know that you can even access them anymore...

A lot of people had trouble with them though, because they were had trouble scaling the progressions appropriately.  If you look around the forum you'll find some good places to start.  (Like the pre-requisites thread or killroy70

I'm considering making a 'how to make a workout' thread, because we're still getting 'rate my workout' threads every so often, and they almost always suck.  This stuff is fairly complicated, and you're almost guaranteed to get it wrong if you're not super vigilant.  That's not saying we won't rate your workout, just that anything you make won't be the best use of your time.

But we will help you out, we'll point you in the right direction, we'll show you progressions ect.  Some stuff we'll have to only hint at, because we're not supposed to reveal material from the programs in the public forums, but we'll do what we can.

First things first though....  You got your rings yet?  :P

Hi guys,

My name is Wesley and I am based in Stroud, Gloucestershire. Was wondering if you guys had considered attending a one of coaches seminars?

When coach has been to the UK before it's London, but I am pleased to say that I shall be hosting the next UK gymnastic bodies seminar in Stroud July 5th & 6th.

I highly recommend attending if you can! I have so far been to 2 seminars and both have been very inspiring and motivating, as well as all the pointers you pick up from coach, new drills, exercises etc. For instance, a properly executed front lever should be with the shoulders depressed and protracted, not retracted as mentioned above earlier in this thread.

Best wishes with all the training guys and nice to hear of others in the UK using the Gymnastic Bodies material.

Wesley

Oh and guys, the cost of the programmes is so cheap! £50 for a foundation series module... 84 quality instructional videos, an online programming tool included, specific forum support, it doesn't get any better. I too thought it was a little pricey at first but come on, its the price of a month's gym membership, a night out even, and you have at least 6months training (most likely longer)!

Connor Davies

....its the price of a month's gym membership....

I don't know about that.  My gym's only 15 quid a month.  That's not a bad deal to rent a barbell for a couple deadlifts each week....

Okay, £15 monthly gym membership is cheap. 3 months is the equivalent then at that rate, still good value though especially comparing what you get to a few deadlifts a couple of times per week

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
That jaymac

I'm just starting out in calisthenics, I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, are there any parks or gyms that are good to train at with bars, rings ect. Are there any calisthenics groups round this area I could get involved in? Be a big help if anyone has any info. Thanks.

Chris Edgar

Hey guys! Sorry I've only just seen this!

Yeah i used to take my rings to the dene, but as foundation and handstand 1 is now my primary training i've taken my foot of the gas when it comes to rings.

I would be up for meeting up one day for some handstands or something though, I've got a slackline too which is always fun!

There's benfield gymnastic centre too which is awesome! Seriously they've got such good facilities there, it must be up there with the best in the country. If anyone is up for doing either/or next week please let me know!

Yours,

Chris

Newcastle Dan

First things first though....  You got your rings yet?  :P

I have not. To be honest, I think I'll wait a while before considering getting them. At the moment Im still gradually getting only elementary calisthenics strength. A pull up bar is testing enough for the moment because I can't do loads...though I am seeing noticeable strength gains. I'll get rings later probably.

Thanks for the tips people.

Chris, Jaymac - I'd be happy to meet up with both of yous. I can't do free handstands yet though, so you'll get to enjoy making me look real bad haha. I have a slackline too! I'm not very good at it though .... also I live right near the dene.... 

That jaymac

Yeah I am a complete novice still concentrating on pull ups, dips, press ups, cin ups ect. But if you guys want to meet up and show me stuff I would be well up for it. I am based in walker but can drive. Hope to hear back from you soon.