Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular pullups

Ivan Pellejero

Ivan Pellejero

Hi guys, how's it going? I'm about to finish my fifth week of training and i'm feeling excelent. While I was watching some videos of people who train with Ido Portal I noticed that they always implement what I think is the scapular pullups, they hang from a bar and with elbows locked in place they pull their chest up while lifting the hip a bit and tilting the head backwards. The ido's routine on scapula is doing wonders on my shoulder flexibility, and I wouldn't like to miss this piece of training, so, can you tell me which exercise is that? Thanks.

Joshua Naterman

Yes, he got that from Poliquin and eventually likes people to progress to straight arms.

It is a good idea to train these both with a hollow back, as you are describing, and with a hollow chest (a hollow position like in a hollow hold) and retracted neck with tucked chin (which happens to be a Yewki if done properly with bent arms and a Front Pull if done with straight arms). They work very differently but if one is to be preferred it is the hollow chest (if you can do it properly) because it is honestly much, much harder and helps ingrain proper muscle activation for FL work.

It is a good idea to train these both with a hollow back, as you are describing, and with a hollow chest (a hollow position like in a hollow hold) and retracted neck with tucked chin (which happens to be a Yewki if done properly with bent arms and a Front Pull if done with straight arms). They work very differently but if one is to be preferred it is the hollow chest (if you can do it properly) because it is honestly much, much harder and helps ingrain proper muscle activation for FL work.

Nice one, i never thought of it like that. I will definitely try it as a hollow.

Ivan Pellejero

Excellent guys, thanks for the feedback, I started doing them a few days ago and it is great, I do them with a false grip and when the arms are perfectly straight I feel some muscles arround my scaps getting a great stretch, kinda hurts but less and less as the days are passing by, it also happens to any of you?

John Sapinoso

are you guys talking about this or something else? (the front pull thing)

skip to 1:13

NdBfUlmT6_o

Joshua Naterman
are you guys talking about this or something else? (the front pull thing)

skip to 1:13

NdBfUlmT6_o

No, that is several thousand power levels beyond what we are talking about! But it is a fantastic example to use because you can see how on some reps your head moved forward slightly but on others it stayed in line with your body and you stay very nicely hollow pretty much the whole time. A good example of hollow position and what to look out for!

Full lay front lever shrugs... :shock:

Ivan Pellejero

Yeah, you want me to break my shoulders don't you? haha. That is amazing but too advanced, maybe that can be done scalated to our current front lever hold isn't? And no, that isn't what im talking about,this is

, at 4:00 she starts to do it.

ic3ZWGnCo2s

Hmm, thankyou for posting what could hopefully end up being the future ex Mrs Blairbob.

But in all seriousness, I don't see why you just don't do some shrugs horiontally (like a body row). Most normal hanging shrugs I would normally do in my WU lean back a like these but not as much.

Or you could just do some CF Knees2Elbows or Skin the Cats with or without swing in the WU. I used to like having my boys do these early in their WU with a light swing if so desired.

Archbishop o balance
at 4:00 she starts to do it.

This is the one Ido taught at his seminar for basic front lever progressions and, I believe, the one the OP had in mind.

Tsoonami, that is some crazy scapular strength! =) Loved the OAHS progress video you posted as well...

Ivan Pellejero

Skin the cat, what are the benefits of doing them? Is it ok to insert them in a multiplane day? Something like 3x10 so to warm up?And finally, where do I find girls who train like that :P

3 sets of 10 reps. Go try that and see how you feel afterwards. SkinTheCats are pretty easy onto itself but get tougher as the reps get deeper. Try for 10 and you'll see what I mean.

Joshua Naterman
at 4:00 she starts to do it.

This is the one Ido taught at his seminar for basic front lever progressions and, I believe, the one the OP had in mind.

Tsoonami, that is some crazy scapular strength! =) Loved the OAHS progress video you posted as well...

This is a very easy beginning exercise in the grand scheme of things, especially considering the explosive nature of the movement. While not a bad exercise, understand that it is nowhere near as good as a properly hollow tuck Front Pull starting in a dead hang and moving into retraction as you rise up and won't have as much carryover as starting in an inverted hang, retracting, and holding the retraction as you lower to FL and then raise back up to invert hang. I like how she keeps her head back and chin tucked, that is good.

I am not going to try and explain the continuum of retraction exercises, maybe someone else will give it a shot and do it half-decently. That will be something I do a while in the future as a proper article.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Are Scapular Pull Ups a good idea to do in conjunction with the dead hangs suggested for the warm ups sets, or are they too advanced to do before a full SSC cycle on dead hangs? (allowing time for soft tissue adaptation)

Thank you!

FREDERIC DUPONT

Thank you DannyCE,

Yes, I understand that scapula pull ups are not advanced...

I was asking because Coach's recommendation for dead hangs is to prepare connective tissue at the extreme of the ROM and was wondering if doing scap pull ups would interfere with that.

I am also extremely prudent with my shoulders and still consider myself in prehab 6 months after arthroscopy to reattach the subscapularis tendon... I have not hung or done pull ups for that matter in quite a while.

I think I'll do dead hangs for a month and if all goes well, after that I'll add a few sets of scapular pull ups once or twice a week to start. :)

baby steps... :D

Nic Branson

Start easy and see how it goes. When I was competing in strongman I did hanging shrugs with +100lbs at a bodyweight of 200. Helped my shoulder durability quite a bit.

FREDERIC DUPONT

woah, pull ups with 100 pounds...

I am looking forward to my shoulders being able to handle that!

Cheers

Joshua Naterman
It's a simple lat activation exercise - nothing advance about it (unless you are talking about tsoonami's example - that's an exercise for studs)

You mean Trapezius activation, right?

Nic Branson

Should have activation of both in that video. The lats will not activate properly or optimally without trap activation.

Joshua Naterman
Should have activation of both in that video. The lats will not activate properly or optimally without trap activation.

Exactly, and the focus with scapular pull ups is always on the traps.

Nope. Lat activation (in regards to the vid of Ido's student)

The movement is not possible without lats, but the focus will always be on traps and rhomboids retracting the scaps. The lats are not a scapular muscle, they are a shoulder internal rotator, adductor and/or extensor depending on arm position but they do not connect to the scapula at all. If you are focusing on lat activation, or think that is what you are seeing, you are not understanding the actual point of the exercise.

By training the scapular musculature to fire correctly and to build strength in that pattern, we keep the spine and scapulae in a position which allows the lats to exert much more force on an external object (like a pull up bar) and often reduce forces on smaller structures which removes a bit of neuromuscular inhibition if that is a factor in a paticular person's strength limitations. Just because this exercise enhances lat function does not make it a lat activation exercise, even though it can and often will indirectly improve lat function.

External shoulder rotation and shoulder W drills will both enhance one's bench press through the same mechanisms as scap pull ups but that does not make them a chest, deltoids or triceps activation exercise even though parts of that musculature are used in some of those movements.