Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Reading

Alvaro Antolinez

- Men's Gymnastic Coaching Manual by Lloyd Readhead

Where did you find this?

Google shows it being out of print, and used copies are quite expensive.

Apparently Readhead is coming out with another book this month. I put it on pre-order through BookDepository

Gymnastics: Skills - Techniques - Training

Alvaro Antolinez

Thank you! Very interesting. My editing job is acumulating fast!

hahaha... just luck, it came from a dismissed new zealand's library!!

Items Ordered Price

1 of: Men's Gymnastics Coaching Manual [Paperback]

By: Lloyd Readhead

Condition: Used - Good

Sold by: betterworldbooks (seller profile)

£10.90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item(s) Subtotal: £10.90

Postage & Packing: £3.94

-----

Total: £14.84

-----

Total for this Delivery: £14.84

yea, i saw that new book from Redhead, but it seems to be a totally different book, more on the presentational level.

@omegant

no prob, glad to be of help.

• 2 weeks later...
Animalonfire
I'm grabbing a copy of the Everett's O lifting book ASAP and I'll give some Pavels a shot.

Everett's 2nd ed. it's a flawless book. 10/10. WARMLY suggested.

Damn straight! :wink:

Cole Dano
hahaha... just luck, it came from a dismissed new zealand's library!!
Items Ordered Price

1 of: Men's Gymnastics Coaching Manual [Paperback]

By: Lloyd Readhead

Condition: Used - Good

Sold by: betterworldbooks (seller profile)

£10.90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item(s) Subtotal: £10.90

Postage & Packing: £3.94

-----

Total: £14.84

-----

Total for this Delivery: £14.84

yea, i saw that new book from Redhead, but it seems to be a totally different book, more on the presentational level.

I'll let you know when it comes in. It was very inexpensive.

I found a copy of Men's Gymnastics Coaching Manual on EBay. It just came in the mail today. Fantastic book, it really amazing how a book so thin can contain so much information.

mrbrady, nice that you share my feeling about that book and found a copy yourself, an update on that book would become a masterpiece. It really seems to be the best gymnastic book ever. Too bad coach missed or didn't want to take the opportunity to work in that direction... I love those sketches.

I'd like to share some thoughts and questions about it, let me know when you'll have finished reading it, I may send you a PM.

Since its for the British Amateur Gymnastic Assoc. Coach Sommer may have never even seen the book.

It is a masterpiece of organization, and the sketches are priceless. I think for that book they are better than photographs.

Feel free to PM though i'm not sure what i can add, allot of this is new to me.

David Picó García

i'm reading 'The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance' by Loren Cordain (Author), Joe Friel (Author). Really recomended. I think is not on the list. I've seen paleo diet but not for athletes, although is focusing in resistance athletes (runners, ultramarathons....) changes some aspects of his paleo diet introducing more carbohidrates. Focus a lot in preexercise, exercise and post exercise nutrition.

Alvaro Antolinez

I just bought Redhead's book by 8$!( amazon.com) :D in spanish is not that valuable! The shipping is 14$ dough!

I just placed the order for the spanish book as well! it's a good thing I've studied the language for six years and have a sister that's majoring in spanish language!

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I wasn't impressed at all by Readhead, but will go back to the library now and take it out again, maybe I missed something.

As for the recommended reading list, could we try to make it as short as possible? In keeping with Bruce Lee's advice, let's not be the sculptor who adds and adds material, let's be the one who chips away the inessential until the chiseled essence shines forth.

My number 1 is Supertraining (Siff/Verkoshansky).

Could you please list works that would complement Supertraining with minimal overlap and comment why your suggested book is valuable?

Ido darling, are you reading this? Your list and approach rang most true to me, so your input and opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to everybody who takes time to respond.

Alvaro Antolinez

I just received Readhead book yesterday and I showed it to my coach, he told me is still useful and has great points for coaches or athletes but that it is getting outdated in some technical aspects ( for example circles are done different now a days, also the vaulting technique described is for the previous "horse" that used to be like the pommel horse with out pommels) lots of things have changed, others are still pretty valid for the regular or recreational gymnast. Maybe is worth waiting for the new book that should be ready this year...

I don´t think we can do this list short in any way as there are plenty of different approaches and topics , plus it evolves along time making preview books outdated. One thing we may do is rank them with some kind of poll so the most important or basic books go first.

Also I am way behind updating the list!!! :?

guys,

not that I wanted to deceive anyone, but I was relating redhead's book to other GYMNASTIC books available and that I specifically own. I didn't come up saying this is the book to have or to put on top of the list, I said that jemni's book is expensive, useless and definitely not a good purchase, in order to say that I had to compare it to other similar resources.

Alvaro Antolinez

My coach said is a good book but a bit dated. But it is true that is a very complete one , almost every aspect of male gymnastics coaching is treated, most of it is technical and skill related. If you ask me I would not pay the price for the english book (I found the spanish at bargain price), at least till I see the new one.

I just received Rehead's new book. Its very general, gives a very brief description of some technical elements, and takes a few diagrams from the first book.

Even if out of date, the first book is overall much better.

The new book - Gymnastics - skills -techniques - teaching - is a good introductory reference to basic gymnastics, but it is no where near being a comprehensive guide to the skills.

@mrbrady

That was the feeling I had about the new redhead's book from the amazon presentation.

By the way you haven't answer my PM. It's been weeks now...

@ omegant

About the book poll, my concerns are as follows.

Very few people have well-reasoned opinions; too many of us just don't tend to examine things for ourselves. Now in a question like a book list, it would be useful to see not only *what* the given person sees as a valuable book, but also *why*. Seeing the *why* part can help us understand the background of the contributor and then choose how we interpret their book advice.

What each of us wants ultimately is to work the advice contained in some of these books into our training and to see results - right?

@swarovski, i did reply, quite awhile back.

This is starting to sound like a conversation with my ex-wife!

Joshua Naterman

For those wondering what the formulas are for and why they would be useful, people like Poliquin will take the formulas and determine approximately how much force the muscles as a kinetic chain need to be able to absorb over what period of time, and then design strength training protocols to build that ability. This is especially useful for track athletes and preparing the lower body for the stress of long jump landings or sprinting.

By x-wife I hope you mean you haven't just divorced, and thus I can put a laughing smiley :lol:

I just wanted to get a better understanding of what The Science of Gymnastics is about. I already have Supertraining and Science and Practice of Strength Training. Would The Science of Gymnastics add to/complement/clarify these, or it's just overlapping info? Thank you.

By x-wife I hope you mean you haven't just divorced, and thus I can put a laughing smiley :lol:

Ha ha, that was a long time ago, not Helena!

• 2 weeks later...

@mrbrady

to sound like an ex-wife isn't good at all, my apologies for that, but I just had a look in my PM folders and there's no sign of that Q&A, I may have messed up with it and lost both without having even read your reply or completely forgot it. What a shame. If you still have it please send it to me again, thanks. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

@slizzardman

If it wasn't for copyright I'd send you some chapters of that "science of gymnastics" just to see if you think that the ordinary trainer can get any clues of how to make those formulas useful for training. I'd be curious to know how people like gregor, yourself or Coach would review jemni's book.

@img

the science of gymnastics doesn't have any insight on training methodology or theories, it only applies math formulas to some gymnastics skills, and that's for the best part...

swaro-

No problem, i don't recall getting a Q&A and my inbox is so full i have to delete most messages i get.

Send it again if you still have the original.