• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Reading

Alvaro Antolinez

Joshua Naterman
Assessment and Treatment of Muscle Imbalance:The Janda Approach

Phillip Page, Clare Frank, Robert Lardner

That's a part of my next Amazon order! I am really looking forward to reading this one.

Its very comprehensive!

I'm kind of torn between it and Josephine Keys which is also excellent.

Parth Rajguru
-4-hour Work Week

If you like 4 Hour Work Week, you'll probably also like "The Art of Non-Conformity" by Chris Guillebeau

Here's a non-training book: "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

• 3 weeks later...

Razz that's awesome. ALthough it will likely be far in the future, do you mind giving a small review for the ones you end up reading?

Sure I should be able to do that :) I'll just list the ones I ordered for now and people can let me know if they're interested in a review.

Protein power

Protein power: lifeplan

New evolution diet

4 hour body

pain free

food and western disease

kelsos shrug book

achieving victory over a toxic world

primal blueprint

Finished reading 'The Vitamin D Solution' recently. Pretty good book, for me it wasn't exactly a revelation but presented some more info on the topic of vitamin D and sun exposure. Although some of the science/data just seems to be correlations, however he does go through the mechanism of converting D in the skin and then into the activated form, etc. so, for me at least, that makes up for it.

Kyle Courville
Sure I should be able to do that :) I'll just list the ones I ordered for now and people can let me know if they're interested in a review.

Protein power

Protein power: lifeplan

New evolution diet

4 hour body

pain free

food and western disease

kelsos shrug book

achieving victory over a toxic world

primal blueprint

I have the Primal Blueprint. It is a very entertaining book. I got the most out of the cardio/fitness section. In a nutshell when doing endurance work you want your heartrate at a certain % of your max heartrate, because generally everything lower than that % is good for you while everything above is suicide.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that a very good book for adult newcomers to GB like myself (over 30) is:

The Complete Book of Pilates for Men: The Lifetime Plan for Strength, Power & Peak Performance

by Daniel Lyon

very simple, cheap, well illustrated and explained and ONLY on mat, which means no device, machine or gear of any kind, just pure bodyweight stuff on floor. Progressions are very good, there are lots of exercises (even if some are simple variations of others). I think the whole program originally laid out by J. Pilates.

40 ex on traditional mat work

66 ex on reformer on the mat

I believe it's the perfect on-ramp course for ANYONE.

• 3 weeks later...
Animalonfire

Robert Crayhon, Nutrition made simple is Ido's recommendation for beginners nutrition. Amazons last copy is on its way at this moment 8)

I'll absolutely second the master and margarita, the incident with the sunflower oil had me in hysterics for several minutes afterwards.

So a little review of what I've read so far:

Primal blueprint:

Awesome book, recommended for everyone interested in fitness, health and longevity.

Food and western disease:

More advanced and very expensive, only recommended for the nerds.

4hourbody:

I love this book. Lots of small tips, but again, may be mostly for the nerds. The general stuff should come out of Robbs book aswell as primal blueprint. Lots and lots of good references for more geeking around too! :D

New evolution diet:

Didn't like it so much. Very hard stance on saturated fat and cholesterol. Impressive to read about Arts fitness and health into old age though. Some small gems but again only for people who are a bit more than interested and wants everything covered. It doesn't go into details but mentions small things that you don't find in other books that may be worth knowing for some people.

Kelsos shrug book:

Can't recommend this too much. If you already know that the back muscles are the base of upper body strength then this book does nothing but show different exercises. Good if you're not a creative person though.

Achieving victory over a toxic world:

As scary as it was supposed to be. Highly recommended for an eye opening view of the role toxins play in the modern world.

Will review: pain free, and the protein power books when done. Just to recap now: Primal blueprint and Paleo solution should be the base for people delving into paleo nutrition. Then add new evo diet and then food and western disease. Then you'll probably have to start reading the scientific journals afterwards if you want more.

Alex Dienaar

The Metabolic Diet - Mauro DiPasquale

This book goes into about every single thing you can imagine about the role of macronutritients in diets, hormones, different types of fats and their roles, carb cycling, PWO and alot more. The only downside is that Mauro pushes his own supplements alot in the book, aside from that it's info-packed, easy to read and very practical.

Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill - Udo Erasmus

An easy to read book about fats that's handles everything, from the chemical structures to how they get processed and created to their effects in the human body. A must read if you're interested in nutrition.

I have to go through my collection for some others :)

I second the metabolic diet having also just read it. Good stuff really. Obviously doesn't reveal the entire truth about supplements since Mauro has his own supplement line which is pushed forward a lot. For example he has one blend of proteins including soy protein that he pushes as being superb for athletes. That one I don't quite get as he's a damn smart guy. Maybe I'm missing something. Anyways the book lays a solid foundation for any diet and food choice whether it'd be paleo or not.

In a month or two I'm most likely ordering all his books. Have a bunch of others to read through first though.

• 5 weeks later...
Animalonfire

http://astore.amazon.com/robwol-20

^Robb Wolfs list. I'm grabbing a copy of the Everett's O lifting book ASAP and I'll give some Pavels a shot.

Poliquins "Bigger stronger arms" is a nice book, my only gripe is that it's not always clear if a recontamination is for strength or size (I think it's around 2/3 of each). Modern trends and Principles were better.

Has anyone read why zebras don't get ulcers? I'm thinking of giving that one a go

Alvaro Antolinez

Mmmm I think it is about time to update the main list, I'll do it tomorrow once at home .

The Science of gymnastics, new book

by Razz on Sun May 09, 2010 11:57 am

"The Science of Gymnastics" provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fundamental physiological, biomechanical and scientific principles underpinning this most demanding of sporting disciplines. Drawing on cutting edge scientific research, and with contributions from leading international sport scientists, the book represents an important link between theory and performance. With case studies, data and useful review questions included in every chapter, the book examines every key aspect of gymnastic training and performance, including: physiological assessment; diet and nutrition; energetics; strength and conditioning; growth and development; anthropometric and biomechanical models; kinetics and kinematics; stress, anxiety and coping; motivation and goal setting; and, the psychology of learning and performance. There is a concluding section that breaks down a series of core gymnastic techniques and movements into their fundamental scientific components, helping the student to better understand how sport science relates to sporting performance. "The Science of Gymnastics" is essential reading for all students, researchers and coaches with an interest in gymnastics or applied sport science.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... s/7380791/

I'm definately going to buy this when it releases. One thing that does not make sense to me though, is the 100CND$/70€ difference between hard cover and paperback..

about the author:

http://www.gre.ac.uk/schools/science/staff/jemni

to my opinion save your money and time, I dropped halfway through, bad purchase.

If you're an high level coach, you won't learn anything new from that, if you're an amateur or a fitness enthusiast you won't learn anything useful either. Boring to say at least.

Alvaro Antolinez
to my opinion save your money and time, I dropped halfway through, bad purchase.

If you're an high level coach, you won't learn anything new from that, if you're an amateur or a fitness enthusiast you won't learn anything useful either. Boring to say at least.

Too scientifically packed, too dense? there is any example that will give us a grasp in how is the book?

I'll try to articulate better.

Since I've got into this gymnastic thing, I've tried to educate myself and get a hold of basics.

I now have been involved for 8 months, joined a gymnastic class since then and bought few books on the subject, so, beside BtGB that started it all and I'd give it 7/10 (10 for concepts, progressions and descriptions, 4 for routine constructions, testing, prerequisites and all the other known flaws). here's the other books on the subject that I own.

- Men's Gymnastic Coaching Manual by Lloyd Readhead

- How to Improve at Gymnastics by Heather Brown

- Gymnastics: Floor, Vault, Beam and Bar (The skills of the game) by Trevor Low

- Mastering Men's Gymnastics: Beginning Skills and Progressions Starring Mark Williams

- Mastering Men's Gymnastics: Intermediate Skills and Progressions Starring Mark Williams

- Mastering Men's Gymnastics: Advanced Skills and Progressions Starring Mark Williams

Readhead's is by far the best, I love it, even if it's a bit old. I'm very happy that I bought it, it's my favourite. 10/10 He condensed in 200pages all the knowledge and experience we will get when Coach Sommer will have published a 2nd edition for all of his 5-6 books...

Brown's it's more of a visual introduction aimed to parents or kids. Kinda magazine. Nice to have. 6/10

Low's it's no bad at all either, addressed to girl's events but still an helpful book for a newcomer. 7/10

Williams' dvds are quite good even if the way he speaks is pretty boring, anyway, they helped me to understand that even basics skills are almost unreachable for an adult newcomer. 8/10.

Jemni's? well, how can I put it? it's 180 pages of factual info, statistics figures and physics formulas. Honestly I don't know what to do with a trigonometry formula for angular acceleration even if it's related to a giant swing. His concept of science of gymnastics is very postulatory compared to what coach has divulgated to us throught HIS "science of Gymnastic Strength Training™". Pretty useless from a manual point of view. 4/10

I'm grabbing a copy of the Everett's O lifting book ASAP and I'll give some Pavels a shot.

Everett's 2nd ed. it's a flawless book. 10/10. WARMLY suggested.