This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

JAYLENE'S FIRST POST AND WOD!

Started by Jaylene Deane, December 9, 2010 · 126 Replies · 8,568 Views

Jaylene Deane

Got home from work later than usual, and didn't really have time to get a solid FSP workout in, only did 30s total time for L-sit tuck(floor) frogstand, tuck FL and german hang. Was supposed to do KB swing also, but no damn time :evil: + 2x10 wrist push-ups, shoulder dislocates, joint rotations, 3 min skipping.

WoD 110524

1x10 CWW

1x5 pike press HeS (freestand)

1x10 straddle press Hes (freestand) couple of overbalances, but only due to relaxing instead of staying tight in HeS)

Wall run - 36 total steps (a new PB!) + 5min total time HS (facing wall)

2x10 wrist pushups (knees)

:shock: I HATE WALL RUNS. Well, I don't really, I just hate that I can't do them for !0 minutes. Anyone who can, you are officially a beast and have my undying respect and admiration. Not terribly fond of my arms giving way and tasting my hallway carpet either. As a added bonus however, I am becoming quite proficient in forward rolls. With the HeS presses - pike and straddle, these are becoming quite easy, but I am going to wait until the end of the cycle to make them harder. Slow and steady kiddies! Heed thy Coach and thou shalt become awesome! (eventually)

Jaylene Deane

One of those days today, was wondering why I got out of bed. But, did my training anyway, and feeling in a much better frame of mind. I love exercise, after a good workout you feel on top of the world. :)

warm up - joint rotations, 3x25 Hindu squats, dynamic stretches

WoD 110526

Complete 4 rounds

2 CWW

3 HeSPU negatives

2CWW

5 PB dips

2 CWW

7 PU - FX

30s rest between exercises, 3 minutes between rounds

2x10 wrist pushups

Even though I'm nearly at the Russian dip, it's still too much for me to work in a WoD and I can do XR push ups, but would not have been able to complete all my reps for this workout. Even scaled back this far, it was tough, but I finished It and stuck to the rest times to the second. Pleased with what I did and looking forward to the WoD tomorrow!

Jaylene Deane

Warm up - 3 minutes skipping, shoulder dislocates, joint rotations

WoD 110527

3 rounds

3 pull ups

3 PB dips

1 XR L-sit half (15s)

1 Shoulder stand (10s)

1 Russian Dip (chair assist)

1 Tick Tock (tuck FL and GH pulling to inverted in a tuck)

then - 5 rounds

15s tuck FL

15s wall HS

15s GH

followed by 2x10 wall extensions

Had Tuesday off, the Monday WoD trashed my shoulders and then I did boxing on Tuesday morning. Was sore and after a few attempts at some dips and handstands, my form was that bad, I decided to rest before I hurt myself. Glad I did, cause lifting stuff at work made my shoulders "clicky" and tender. Fine after Wednesday off and a boatload of fish oil!

Felt really good with this WoD, statics are starting to feel easy, even though I know I am nowhere near strong enough for the next progressions.

Jaylene Deane

jumped onto the forum to get tomorrow's WoD and realized that I didn't post Friday's workout...Luckily I keep notes so no problems there.

In the am - 1200m run (recovery is improving, finally)

In the pm - Warm up - The usual, shoulder dislocates, joint rotations, 3 minutes skipping

WoD 110530

Complete 3 sets

15s frogstand + 5 pullups + MU transition (chair assist) + 5 PB dips (MU substitutes)

15s BL tuck + 5 HeSRLL (1kg)

15s Tuck FL + 5 V-ups

10 Bridge wall walks

Still a fair way off 5 sets of 5 perfect pull ups, but the strength is starting to come, it feels similar to how I progressed with chin ups, and those aren't perfect, but they are a lot better than the pull ups. Focusing on a static hold at the bottom of the PB dip to hopefully build some strength where i struggle a little. I'm thinking it will help with my Russian dip progression as well.

Jaylene Deane

just started early shift at work, our storeman's gone on holidays and guess who gets to start at 3am?

so the energy wasn't really there for this WoD but I just got in and did it.

usual warm up, skipping and stuff. Added in 3x30s wall HS

WoD 110531

4 rounds, 2 minutes rest between rounds, 30s between exercises

2 front pull half - tuck

5 XR rows feet elevated

2 front pull half - tuck

3 FL tuck pulls

2 front pull half tuck

10 towel pullups (chair assist)

3x10 shoulder dislocates

This is by far the toughest workout I've ever done for my shoulders. Ever. However, I could feel all the muscles/tendons on the inside working very hard. Form is terrible, but It felt like the best quality work I could do with what I am now. Did the slowest and most deliberate reps I could. Very humbling and a little depressing to see how much time its gunna take to do this.

Strength is a skill Jaylene...It must be learnt. Be patient.

Jaylene Deane

Another lovely day in Launceston. If you're a duck.

Warm up - joint rotations, shoulder dislocates, leg swings (all directions 2x7, both legs)

WoD 110602

complete 3 rounds

10 box SLS

5 NLC half

40 kettlebell swing (12kg)

3x10 Leg extensions

SLS are improving, though the lack of ROM with the left ankle is starting to become an issue. Its stopping me from going lower, very tight achilles are to blame. It's also compromising my form with the kettle bell. :evil:

As a side note, leg extensions=cramp= :D

Jaylene Deane

Did a FSP max test yesterday and composed a pre or post WoD workout to complete, depending on how I feel at the time. Tonight, should have done it first, but did it after. CWW normally toast me, but I handled them okay this time.

Warm up - Shoulder dislocates, 3 min skipping, leg swings, joint rotations

WoD 110603

1x10 CWW

1x5 pike press HeS

1x10 straddle press HeS

Walking HSPU ladders

(10x1 Neg HeSPU+6 wall run steps)

2x10 Wrist pushups(knees)

Okay, the SSC for my static positions I followed the layout in the back of the book and have come up with this:

Frogstand - 4x16s

FL tuck - 6x11s

BL tuck - 8x8s

L-sit half - 6x11s

L-sit straddle half - 6x11s

reverse plank - 4x15s

elbow lean - 7x9s

Elbow lean I decided to do on my own to start to adapt my elbow joint to the stress of the adv frogstand. I have attempted it a few times and I find the stress on the joint while not painful, very uncomfortable. So will do this with WoDs for the next 8-12 weeks and then test again.

Jaylene Deane

Realized I didn't post the last workout, and when I find the note I will put it up....Senders were fun as always :D

Well, today.

Warm up - usual, rope and joint rotations

WoD 110607

Preform the following

3 PB dips

3 pull ups

3 Inverted hang to BL tuck (5s hold) pull to inverted(tuck) lower to FL tuck (5s hold)

3 XR support (10s)

5x15s FL tuck

5x15s XR HS (assist)

5x15 GH

2x10 wall extensions

FSP workout (as detailed last post)

The first part of the WoD is my substitute for Ring strength series 1 which is the scaled ring strength 3. Followed up the WoD with my FSP workout. Pleased with how I managed the workload. Don't think that the FSP will affect my recovery any at the moment which should allow me to start working dips and pull ups in a separate workout, get the strength for that MU...

Jaylene Deane

A little sore from yesterday from the statics I think, was feeling pretty strong at the time so form was really good. Hence my muscles talking to me. Didn't affect todays training until the very last set of the WoD, which seemed to go forever. Maintained good form though, so pretty happy.

Warm up - shoulder dislocates, joint rotations, 5 min skipping

FSP workout

WoD 110609

Complete 3 rounds

BL tuck 15s + 5 tempo(2-1-4) XR rows feet elevated

L-sit tuck 15s + 5 Neg HeSPU (5s lowering)

FL tuck 15s + 6 tempo (2-1-4) HLL half-tuck

!0 bridge wall walks.

Negatives for HeSPU are starting to become noticeably slower, another couple of weeks and at this rate I should be able to actually do one. Bridge wall walks are going excellently and shoulder flexibility is getting there. All in all, happy with how I'm traveling.

Jaylene Deane

A break, which even though I shouldn't have it happened. Back on track. In my break, I did keep training, just not WoDs and focused on building volume/strength for pull ups and dips. The pull ups have gotten a bit better but the volume was too much, started to get tired/sore elbows and sternum. so I have backed off, to allow the tendons to get stronger. So at this rate, I'm not certain I'll get my MU by xmas time... :cry:

As a side note, I can now run the required distance for the Reserves PFA and I'll be doing the test on Friday after work. 11 months and 14 failed tests and finally I know I can pass it. So looking forward to confirming it in a few days time!

Invested in a 16kg kettlebell, my local sports shop sells them for $4.50 a kg, but cause I shop there a fair bit, $4.00 a kg for me! Probably one of the most useful exercise tools I have ever used. Gunna invest in some more soon.

Warm up - 4 sets to complete 110 reps - two handed swing

joint rotations, shoulder dislocates

WoD 110610

complete 4 rounds

2 l-sit press to attempted tuck PL

3 neg HeSPU

2 l-sit press to attempted tuck PL

5 PB dip to l-sit

2 l-sit press to attempted tuck PL

15 knee clap push ups

2x10 wrist push ups

Jaylene Deane

Bit lazy with posting up my WoDs so got a couple to record today from previous workouts.

Progress feels stalled at the moment, I'm experimenting with the next strength progressions, and still nowhere near being able to actually do them, but the current progressions are the easiest they have ever been for me. So I'm looking at that as progress. SSC with statics are feeling better.

Was a little worried that my strength would go backward a bit as I'm dropping some weight so I can fight a class lower. So far so good.

WoD 110613

5x20 2 hand KB swings, 3x10 KB calf raises, 3x2 single arm KB clean & press

Complete 3 rounds

5 NLC half

10 overhead lunges (with KB)

20m KB drag

8x15s straddle L - bent

1x10 leg extensions (front, side, circle) - wasn't able to complete 3 sets.... legs were munted.

WoD 110614

1x10 CWW

1x5 pike press to HeS

1x10 straddle press to HeS

12x30s wall HS - 45s rest between HS

3x10 wrist pushups

Felt strong doing this WoD, CWW are getting much better, move my weight nicely from arm to arm now, much more coordinated. Presses are easy, elevated my head by three books and was still pretty easy, so gunna have to test my max height when I remember to do it...

Only made it to the 7th rep with the HS and then I had to rest longer than 45s... after 2 min rest, did the rest of the set with the correct 45s. Bit disappointing but that's how it is. Haven't got time to write up today's WoD, will do when I get back from the movies.

'Awesomeness has a name'... :D

Jaylene Deane

I has returned. Kung Fu Panda 2 was awesomely cool. Can't wait for video release :D

Anyway, today's workout. Did the Beep test this morning in the rain (yay) achieved lvl 7.7 and then 2 laps of the oval straight after. Hurt my lungs. Was good. Cardio is improving in leaps and bounds now I've added my 'Punishment laps.' Highly recommended.

WoD 110617

Preform 3 sets -

3 chair assist MU

3 jump to XR support, tuck l-sit, press forward to attempted shoulder stand, lower to hang l-sit tuck(3s hold) pull to inverted (tuck) lower to tuck FL (3s) pull to inverted (tuck) lower to BL tuck(3s)

5 sets of

15s FL tuck to 15s PL lean (rings was too much after first set, moved to the floor) to 15s GH

5 min of wall extensions

This workout smashed my chest/sternum, very tired, gunna have to knock dips back again though I'm happy that I can now push from the lowest part of the dip to support on rings. I cannot lower all the way down with slow control. But its a part of the MU, so there's a start! Didn't do FSP training today, supports were pushing it. I can do one now with no discomfort (just tested then), so just watch the workload. Spent more time on wall extensions, like how my back, shoulders and chest feel afterward. Looking forward to tomorrow's WoD.

Jaylene Deane

Haven't posted for a while, slack that way but have not slacked off on workouts, no no, learnt my lesson there a while ago.

Progress I have made since the last post - 8s XR support with rings turned all the way out and elbows locked :D 2 full ROM XR dips in hollow, with lock out (still shaky and kip a bit but its all good), and 60 or so consecutive 'steps' with HS wall walks. Also can now hold the adv. frogstand for a few seconds, something I've never been able to do before.

Things that haven't improved are pulling strength, pull ups are very difficult for me though I have no problems with chins and the damn backward roll from support in ring strength series 1! Been at it for weeks and still can't get it, but I'm thinking the lack of pulling strength is the problem.

So yeah, just an update guys and girls. I haven't died! :wink:

Newguy
Jaylene said:
So yeah, just an update guys and girls. I haven't died! :wink:

Good to know :)

Jaylene Deane

On holidays from work at the moment, so plenty of extra time to work on GB conditioning! Was reading through the WODs from years ago, the very beginning ones and I did the first one tonight, they seem to focus more strongly on dead simple basics, (chins,pull ups,ect) which is what I need to focus on, so doing those as a change up, was good not to have to come up with tons of substitutions! Can't remember the WOD no. off the top of my head, but consisted of:

complete 5 giant sets

GH 15s (1-2 reps,I did 1) + 3 chin-ups.

I then did the FSP SSC I have, and did 3x1 OAC negs (jump to top, lower as slow as I can with as little assistence as possible, which admittidly is a lot, but its a start) static holds for pull-ups in the top and hang positions, hespu 3x4 reps - removed a book tonight, 9 to go before I get to the floor :roll: and 6x20 Hindu squats. These have gone backward since I last did them by a lot....

Spent a good 40min on prehab stuff, wall extensions, dislocates, wrists and ankles. Been watching Slizz's videos and stuff recently and although my shoulders are healthy and reasonably flexible, they could be a lot stronger and have an even greater ROM, so I'm working more intensely on prehab. Better safe than sorry, cause injuries are a complete arse.

Jaylene Deane

Tonight was an awesome workout, even though am still sore from thursday, damn hindu squats. Loving having the extra time to work prehab and extra static work.

First up did my FSP routine, L-sits are improving, supporting myself is easier, so can really focus on pulling legs up and pushing forward with the hips. straddle L is also improving, now I need more flexibility work. Also did wrist and ankle mobility, and some shoulder work.

WoD 081223

complete 5 giant sets

1x30s frogstand + XR PPP 3 reps

Rested and then:

4x8s XR support RTO

3x3 HeSPU (limited ROM, no decreases in book height for some time to come...)

2x3 OAC negs (1st set - pull up grip, 2nd set - chin up grip)

6x5s static hold - pull up position, chin over bar + same for hang

7x20 Hindu squats

3x50 calf raises

Gunna have something to eat and then do some stretching before bed. Resting tomorrow as it's a fast day, pleased with my slow but steady progress.

swarovski

how's your (no-kipping) MU getting along?

Jaylene Deane

Hey swarovski! Thanks for asking!

MU is at 50% i'd say. I can push from the very bottom of the dip on rings all the way to RTO, though that still needs lotsa work. Where I'm lagging badly is with pull-up strength and the last couple of workouts I have come to the conclusion that my forearm strength (lack thereof) is the biggest factor letting me down at the moment. Feels more like no tendon strength rather than no muscle strength... so i've added OAC negs and SH in hang and at the top of the bar. If anyone's got any other suggestions feel free, it would be very appreciated.

So today was lighter than I would have liked, but got interupted a few times. Its good when friends visit, but sometimes I wish they'd call first...

AM - Boxing training 1 1/2 hours

PM - Warm up - FSP SSC + dislocates, wrist work and ankle work

WOD 081226

3 sets of Modified Ring series 1 followed by

3x10 Scaled to tuck tick tocks.

3x2 pull ups

3 sets of static hang until grip gives out (total failure,I fall off the bar)

3 sets of chin over bar hold (until I can't hold position anymore,lower slow as possible)

4x8s XR support RTO

8x20 hindu squats

3x50 calf raises

In the Ring series this arvo, working on lowering back through support to l-sit hang with the MU, instead of backward roll, and I have made some improvement, it was a little slower than normal! A small acheivment, but happy with it anyway. Oh, and the pull up part of the MU is either chair assist or jumping if anyone is wondering. Depends on how strong i'm feeling :)

swarovski

what comes to my mind is to hold 5-10s through the negative fase of a mu at several different rom, especially the ones you feel weak. hope it helps.

Jaylene Deane

I'll work it every time I try MU swarovski, thanks. Willing to try pretty much anything to get this MU. Just figuring whatever I do, be consistent. I want it by Xmas and i'm training to achieve it by then, but I've learnt that this gymnastic stuff happens when the body is ready. It'd be lovely if it already was. :roll:

Okay, today.

Warm up - FSP SSC (this is getting quicker to work through and no longer leaves me tired) + wrist work, shoulder work, 5 min of jump rope

WOD 081231

complete 4 rounds

30s PB swings - 30s rest + 3 pull ups (5s statics at top hold and hang, lower slow as possible)

then:

3x4 HeSPU

3x3 chin ups (can probably up these now, pretty easy)

9x20 hindu squats

3x50 calf raises

good workout, finished with shaky arms and legs!

attempted XR supports but PB swings fried me, so no go there unfortunately.

swarovski

sorry for such unhelpful advice. How's your false grip then? that's the key part. can you pull up in such way? are you able to train the transition with feet held in front on a chair? did the carl paoli's vids left you any doubt on how to hold the false grip?

anyway, I'm sure is way harder for a girl to accomplish it, I know no one gymnast, not even the ones who can perform high bar giants that can do anything on rings but hanging exercises.

Jaylene Deane

Its not unhelpful swarovski, anyone reading and chucking suggestions in is great, helps with motivation and sometimes they tell you stuff you don't know. So don't sweat it, cause it's appreciated. :D As to false grip, never had any problems with it, I can hang in false grip with completely straight elbows and can do a couple of chair assist (feet in front) pull ups in false grip. Just have the normal difficulty pulling all the way up into the transition, but that's the same for everybody learning the MU. Last week I magically (well it seems that way) have gained volume with chins and pull ups, so now I can actually do more than a few reps, it will be easier to progress. Just slow at building girl muscle I suppose!

On the note of progress, last night I discovered that I can now hold a bent leg l-sit off the floor!! Is only 5 seconds or so on a good attempt but I don't care cause it is proof of some progressive awesomeness.

So yesterday's workout:

Warm up - FSP SSC, mucked around withs some HS for 5min or so, shoulder dislocates, joint rotations...

WOD 091002

3x5 SLS - these haave improved since getting back into Hindu squats

3x3 GHR half (pretty sure thats what the ROM is considered, can't find my book atm to check...)

60s total L-sit work - bent leg L-sit - floor :D 14x3-6s reps (63s total)

brief rest then

10x20 hindu squats

3x50 calf raises

3x30 bounces (done like senders up and down the hallway, was fun 8) )

was gunna do some pulling and static hold work, but thought I'd better finish my homework instead. :roll: Was tired after all the leg stuff anyway, good workout!

swarovski

not much left to say than why don't you post a vid (in digital coaching) with a couple of muscle ups attempts? me or others can spot what is lacking or holding you back. A slow controlled negative MU vid would be useful as well.

Jaylene Deane

I'm not stressed about my progress swarovski, its happening, just slowly. I will post a vid, at xmas, of me doing a MU. That be the plan, and is one of my new year resolutions! Either way if I don't manage it by then, I will post what I've got going on progress wise. Look forward to it cause I am, tis gunna be awesome!

Well, workout wise hit a bit of a snag. yesterday was leg WOD, and dammit during boxing I did a minor twist of my ankle, enough to really hurt, but not a full blown brain popping orgy of agony. For which I am grateful, cause those nasties take aaaaages to heal. So I should be back running on it properly in a few weeks. Fortunately that morning I had done my laps in my spanking new VFF's and I LOVE THESE SHOES! Brought a pair of sprints as my first foray into the world of foot gloves and the only thing I would do a bit better, would be first - buy the Flows. The sprints be a bit cold for this time of the Tasmanian year. Give it a few months though, will be beautiful!

The upside to this little rant/setback/excuse is that I can focus more on upper body strength. :D (But :( for injury. BOOOO!)

Anyway

Warm up - FSP SSC, wrists and shoulder mobility.

WOD 090106

3x scaled Ring series 1

3x5 360 pulls in tuck (this was supposed to be 3x10, but I could not manage it. don't decide to clear your jungle of a front yard on a workout day. Not recommended.)

2x10 wall extensions

And after that did 3x3 false hang pull ups with chair support and am now the proud owner of a healthy new set of false grip inside wrist blisters! Was eager for more, but elbow tendons said no. So I said...okay.

Jaylene Deane

Got a cold this evening, not feeling the best, but had a productive day workout wise. The ankle has pulled up much better than anticipated, almost instant cold and heat treatments as soon as i did it probably helped, as well as fish oil, rest and walking on it normally, which took me many years to learn. seems to let it heal with the full ROM, compensate for the pain and it doesnt seem to heal properly. Well that is my experience. I think the VFF's (so barefoot running pretty much)are helping too.

AM - 2.4km run, 2 hour boxing training (focus mostly on drills, agility wasn't quite there)

PM - Warm up - SSC FSP

WOD 110826

1x10 CWW

1x10 pike HeS Press (didn't actuallly read the WOD properly :oops: )

1x10 straddle HeS press

HS wall run - unable to do 10min, so simply did them until almost actually fell on my face. Not sure of total time spent wall running.

2x10 wrist pushups (knees)