This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

JAYLENE'S FIRST POST AND WOD!

Started by Jaylene Deane, December 9, 2010 · 126 Replies · 8,568 Views

Jaylene Deane

Busy day today and a bit emo about doing even worse on another fitness assessment. I wish I didn't find long distance running so damn difficult. Did boxing, and that was okay, slow in sparring because my legs were fatigued, and the lack of speed resulted in getting hit in the head. A lot. *sigh*

warm up - 1x60s dead hang, 2x6 pushups, 2x30s handstand, 3min skipping, joint rotations

WoD 110509

Complete 3 sets of:

Tuck BL 15s + 6 tempo chin-ups

Frogstand 15s + 5 HeSPU neg (5-7s lowering)

Tuck FL 15s + 30s hollow (swallowed my pride and did what I can actually do with good form)

1-2 minutes rest between sets

5 Bridge wall walks + 5 bridge wall walk negatives. Didn't have the juice to claw back up the wall.... :oops:

swarovski

glad it's been helpful and thanks for admiring my geek side... hahaha!! Anyway, just ask if you need any other insight on wods, apparently moderators won't answer questions on top secrets seminar stuff... was that the reason why I needed to solve the puzzle myself?? I'm pretty picky on challenges.

Jaylene Deane

Very helpful Swarovski, and I'll let you know if I require the need for your geek side to do its thing. ...are you like, the gymnastic version of professor Langdon, following the 'Path of Illumination' :shock: ???!? I think it could be so...

And on that bombshell...

WoD 110510

Complete 4 rounds

2 l-sit press (3s hold) to frogstand (3s hold)

7 from the knees clapping push-ups

2 l-sit press to frogstand

5 russian dips (between chairs, feet assist)

2 l-sit press to frogstand

3 box HeSPU

30s rest between exercises, 2-3min rest between sets

2x10 wrist push ups

Well, I liked the burn from this little workout, yes indeed. Hell man, I wish I was just that fraction stronger so I could do things properly! The L-sit to frogstand was weird, cause I lack the strength to press up into the tuck planche position, which is really what I needed to do, but instead all I could do was struggle as hard as possible to even attempt to press back and lift my hips :roll: ....and then jump down to the floor and quickly do a frogstand. Arrgh! Looks stupid, felt stupid, but its all I can do! Damn frustrating..

The rest was okay, starting to get the coordination with the Russian, so hopefully the strength will come soon. Wrists are getting stronger, able to lean further over and have less weight on my knees when I do them.

Now off to bed, work tomorrow and another WoD! Woot!!

swarovski

hahaha... not that I'm gonna be the one who will decipher cretan linear A scripts...

Jaylene Deane

Awwww come on.... Have faith in your Geek!

Jaylene Deane

Decides that now I'm one behind with the WoDs that I'm gunna have to be up early and do outside sprinting/running workouts before I toddle off to work as winter in Tasmania is rather English-like weather wise and dark by 5:30pm... :roll:

Though its a 50/50 if I'll be swimming or running coach"s 20m shuttles, depends if it rains or not! :wink:

WoD 110512

complete 3 rounds

5 GHR

10 Overhead lunges (5kg)

1x25 (5kg) Kettlebelll swings

3x10 Hip Extensions

Pleased with the progress with leg WoDs, the strength/coordination is coming quickly for the moment, we'll see how long that lasts though. Kettlebell swings are progressing, got the form down nice, and pretty sure I'll be able to up the weight in my little bag next week (thanks Slizz!) Hip extensions are nasty, 3 seconds is all I can manage to hold at my max ROM and then spent some time swearing at cramps! Was tons of fun :twisted: so thanks Coach!

swarovski

as you set yourself for achieving MU, you may have missed this link posted by mrbrady, make sure to watch the other related vids as well.

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/muscle ... ession-pt1

though I didn't follow any of those and got there within 6 months of just straightforward 5*5 pullups/dips.

Newguy

Oh!!! I have to ask? Do you have an amazing Australian accent??? I love Australian accents :)

Joshua Naterman
swarovski said:
as you set yourself for achieving MU, you may have missed this link posted by mrbrady, make sure to watch the other related vids as well.

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/muscle ... ession-pt1

though I didn't follow any of those and got there within 6 months of just straightforward 5*5 pullups/dips.

Nice! I also did not have to do a TON of work to get the MU, all it took was about a month of practicing some Russian dips and false grip pull ups and I could do 2 wide grips, but you and I were already pretty strong I think hahaha!

I have found that putting more transition volume in, starting at the top of the pull up with forearms parallel to the ground and pressing up to support on rings with minimal body lean is helping tremendously, because now they are easy and I did my first forward roll to support without the false grip a few days ago on accident! I guess I was just strong enough to slip right back into the false grip on the way up when I wasn't thinking about it.

Jaylene, if you find yourself starting to have trouble with getting the muscle up after you have good pull up and dip strength (basically being able to do 5 sets of 5 perfect reps like swarovski mentioned) you may want to practice false grip pull ups or even rows at first if those are too hard. For practicing the muscle up, having your feet on a bench in front of you just like a self spotted pull up can really help you learn the move much faster.

pogo69
Newguy said:
Oh!!! I have to ask? Do you have an amazing Australian accent??? I love Australian accents :)

It's not that amazing when you live here... :P

slizzardman said:
I have found that putting more transition volume in, starting at the top of the pull up with forearms parallel to the ground and pressing up to support on rings with minimal body lean is helping tremendously, because now they are easy and I did my first forward roll to support without the false grip a few days ago on accident! I guess I was just strong enough to slip right back into the false grip on the way up when I wasn't thinking about it.

I could not agree more. And I think that it's important, not just for the development of your MU and the flow-on effect to skills such as the fwd roll to MU, but also for joint health. The MU is very tough on the elbows, especially in the beginning; I think frequent low volume transition work is a great way to condition your elbows for the stresses you're going to be putting them through; you have to be careful with that frequency though - too much and your elbows will make you pay.

I've been (occasionally) working on the ideas you've presented regarding scapular retraction and depression during MU/PU/dip work too and it really does make a difference. Although I've been kinda haphazard with my training lately, I'm much stronger in these movements and require far less "lean" in full ROM.

Newguy

Oh shut up! :P Of course they are awesome! (And I have also wondered, do Australians think that American accents are awesome? Average? or horrid? :( )

Joshua Naterman

I agree, Pogo. I started with two transitions in every warm upo. I kep tthat going for a month or two and then started doing three to four, depending on how I felt. A few days a go I did my first high volume day, I probably did 40 transitions. No elbow problems. Two days later I was training with AlexX and did my first no lean foot-supported MU and MAN, I felt it in the elbows. Amazing how hard that was.

Anyhow, I am fine but the point is that that volume can really be rough, even when you don't think it is at the time. It's definitely important to step up the volume very slowly.

Jaylene Deane

Wow, thanks for all the heads-up on the MU guys, appreciated. And yes, I have an Australian accent. And also, as pointed out when you live here it's not that cool...

As to American accents, the few I've encountered, I personally think it depends on where in the USA one comes from. Some can be a bit :shock: with their strength...

Newguy

Yeah, I agree some American accents are... Not the best. However the interesting thing is that their are so many different accents in American, in fact even different towns are known for their special accent!

Jaylene Deane

Quiet day today on the 'things I have to do today' front, no work, went to school for an hour then came home and got stuck in.

workout 1 (am-ish)

4 rounds

1x15s FL, BL, L-Sit, Manna progression, Froggie, straddle L-sit.

rest 5min or so, then

3x5 pistol progression (lowered the box today, pumped!)

3x25 KB swings (6.25kg, managed this easy, might have to increase the weight more)

1x5 MU transition practise (feeling the motion)

2x5 assist Russian dips (again, feeling the motion, working on going from upper arm support to preparing to press)

4:30pm-ish WoD 110513

1x10 CWW

1x5 freestand pike press HeS

1x10 freestand straddle press HeS

5min rest

12 cycles XR HS*

2x10 wrist push-ups (knees)

Pleased with today, achieved lots and now I'm stuffed, I'm actually that tired I'm trembling :mrgreen:

I've decided that the feeling of getting the hips over the shoulders and pressing in one smooth motion comes pretty close to some recreational activities that us adults pursue for entertainment. :D

The movement is pure poetry, absolutely intoxicating. Cannot wait till I can do a L-sit to press HS!

*XR HS - I am not strong enough to actually do these, so I cheated. I hung the XR off my pull-up bar, then hung off the bar upside down by my knees and reached down to the rings. Made sure they were short enough that I could get into the HS position and then take my weight on my hands. The bar is then there to catch my balance and save my life when my arms kick the bucket.

I managed to get the 12 cycles of 30s, rests toward the end were a bit longer than 45s, probably more like a full minute. However tried a Wall handstand a few minutes after the WoD and bloody hell, they are easy as piss compared to the rings! :shock:

swarovski
I've decided that the feeling of getting the hips over the shoulders and pressing in one smooth motion comes pretty close to some recreational activities that us adults pursue for entertainment.

hahaha... u gotta articulate better on this, you know, I'm not that good at figuring things out...

Jaylene Deane

Now, now swarovski... you are far from dense, I do not think any better articulation is required :wink:

swarovski
:D
Jaylene Deane

Struggled today, didn't have any go-go left after boxing, and it wasn't helping that all my muscles were sore. XR HS are to blame. Its a good problem to have!

So as a result this workout I hated cause it didn't seem to ever end.

WoD 110516

complete 4 rounds

2 15s Hollow hold

5 front pull neg(tuck position)

2 15s hollow hold

3 pull-ups

2 15s holllow hold

10 towel ring rows

2 minutes rest between rounds, 30s rest between hollow holds.

Thankfully tomorrow is a rest day. Do my Italian homework, sleep in and work. That will be all.

swarovski

what will you ever need italian for among tasman devils??

Jaylene Deane

Don't really need Italian to speak to devils. They speak Australian after all. :P

I'll get around to visiting Italia one day, and a country is more fun to be in if you can understand everything going on around you. So I plan to understand. Cheap classes help too! :D

Jaylene Deane

Long day, came home set the rings up and smashed it...

warm up - joint rotations, shoulder dislocates, 3 min skipping

WoD 110517

3 rounds

2 pull-up with 3s l-sit

2 Russian dip (assist)

2 MU transitions

2x15s (total) shoulder stand (jumping)

2x15s XR support

Inverted hang to FL tuck (3s hold), pike to inverted, lower to BL tuck (3s hold)

5x15s FL tuck

5x15s Handstand

5x15s German hang

2x10 wall extensions

Bit weird this workout. couldn't really adapt it to be the awesome workout Coach intended, cause with the tiny breaks shifting from one exercise to the next I didn't have my body under constant tension. So although got some solid work in, didn't really get the best out of it. That's my feeling anyway. Looking forward to being strong enough to do things properly...

Jaylene Deane

Had Friday off, was starting to feel fatigued even after a good night sleep and lots of food. Seems to have worked as I had plenty of energy today and busted out the WoD no worries at all. The WoDs are starting to feel easier to do, although they are no walk in the park, I feel like I could do more afterward which in contrast to last week, there was no way I could have. Starting to adjust to the workload maybe?

Morning - box SLS 2x5, 1x75 KB swing (10kg) managed this without rest, was a little difficult, will increase weight when it feels easier.

Afternoon - Warm up and WoD 110519

complete 3 sets

tuck BL - 15s + 5 ring row (feet elevated)

XR support - 15s + 5 single arm PU (wall assist)

Tuck FL - 15s + 5 HLL half

10 bridge wall walks

Was stoked at the BWW, small rests between reps, just enough for the muscle burn to subside a little, but I managed to complete the 10 with full ROM, nose to the ground and back up. oh yes :D

Jaylene Deane

Another good day of training! This morning went for a run, three laps around the school's AFL oval, and then a short rest, and sprints through the center of the ground, goal line to the 50 line, jog through center to the other 50, then sprint to goals. 1-2 minutes recovery and repeat 3 times. Nice and tired after.

and this evening: warmup - joint rotations, 3min skipping and leg swings

WoD 110520

Complete 4 rounds

4x5m senders - my very own baby senders course, using sofa cushions and pillows to make jumps of various lengths and heights (was a hoot! haven't had that much fun with jumping over random things since I was a kid!)

8 box jumps (knee high, just measured it and its only a pathetic 16". :oops: And I thought I was doing awesome....)

4 depth jumps (this is much better, jumping off the fridge, which is a couple of inches shorter than me, prob 5 feet 3" or so...? pretty easy, could go higher.)

12 box SLS (14" box)

2x60s pointed toe stretch.

Enjoyed this workout a lot! Was a heap of fun! On the last round with my little sender course was starting to get the hang of the 'rebounding' part of the jumping over stuff. Fluked it once properly I think as when I took off, it sorta felt like bouncing on a trampoline, but not, got tons of height (for me).... felt magic anyway! Couldn't do it again... :evil: .

As a side note, gotta hunt around on here and find some ankle prehab and rehab stuff, lately an old injury I did years ago where I tore ligaments off my bone is starting to play up occasionally. Don't want to do it again especially when I'm starting to make some progress fitness wise. :D

Jaylene Deane

Nice workout, was challenging, but I didn't struggle. I have definitely improved. Thinking now to introduce a solid FSP workout before the WoD. I think I'll be able to handle both now. Will do that starting tomorrow.

WoD 110523

Complete 3 rounds

1x5 GHR (No weight added. these are quite enough to last me a long time)

1x10 box SLS (again no weight. box height the same as yesterday)

1x5 HeSRLL- 1kg

3x20s straddle L half

Surprised myself with the HeSRLL, tried with 2kg to start with, managed 1 rep and couldn't do another, so ditched a kilo and managed to complete all 3 sets with good form and a nice slow tempo. SLS are irritating me a little at the moment, as the left leg is lagging way behind the right. Its more a balance and stability issue, as that is the munted ankle (thus a limited ROM compared to the other) and I can tell that the muscles on the sides of my leg (inner and outer thigh?) are weak enough that I have difficult staying balanced when I push to standing. Just keep working at it, it'll catch up eventually...