This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

JAYLENE'S FIRST POST AND WOD!

Started by Jaylene Deane, December 9, 2010 · 126 Replies · 8,568 Views

Jaylene Deane

Hi all, the usual greetings and salutations!

First off the bat, have to thank everyone for all their posts, from Coach right through to the humblest beginner like myself. This is one of my favourite sites and for good reason, the vibe, knowledge and experience here is awesome. :D

I have been a member here for a few weeks, and in that time have been continuing with basic SH work in order to build some strength and studying what's been written by everybody. When I have had a question, I have found the answer on here somewhere! I have reached the end of my first 8 week cycle and can now do the very first static hold progressions and hold a 90sec wall handstand. so I thought that I was now ready to attempt my first wod and this is how it panned out:

Warm up - joint rotations & 5min jump rope

static holds (however many sets until reaching 60 second total time) - FL, BL, Frogstand, L-sit progression, manna progression, (normally do handstand, but skipped it today as the wod was chock full of em), wall chair.

WoD 101207

- cast wall walks - 5 sets of 2 reps (10-15 sec rest) I tried to do it as written, but had to scale it. I am strong enough to do actual cast wall walks, but not without rests in between. Fell a few times so the forward roll got a workout as well. :oops:

1x5 pike box press hespu (scaled down for the weakling!)

1x10 straddle box press hespu (as above)

-Nowhere NEAR strong enough to do a ring handstand of any sort, even jumping to the position. I know this as I tried and it didn't end well. So I did wall handstands and managed 4 sets of 30s. The 5th attempt caused me to collapse on my face :shock: so I stopped there.

Cooldown - Wrist pushups 2x10, joint rotations and back bridges

I realize that this WoD is not todays, but when I opened the site this morning; it was the one on top of the list, so I did it.

Looking forward to any comments/observations! - Jaylene

Blairbob

90s wall HS. nice.

Quick Start Test Smith

Welcome to the forums, Jaylene! :D

Don't worry about having to scale down the cast wall walks. They're bloody hard!

Jaylene Deane

Thanks guys, and yeah Patrick, cast wall walks are a good evil. i like them.

Right, onto today's WoD. (WoD 101209)

Was a little sore from yesterday's workout, but nothing that didn't go away as I warmed up.

warm up - joint rotations, 10 min of shadow boxing, dynamic stretches

Static Holds -FL(tuck), BL(tuck), Frogstand, Wall Handstand, Straddle L(bent), Manna MSH-bent, L-sit PB tuck, wall chair, (all done in as many sets as needed to reach 60sec total time)

workout - 4x20m sprints (chucked the extra one in as I needed to walk back to the house...)

5 pullovers - Pike position. Managed the first one from a hang, the rest I had to do jumping. Not able to lower slowly. Ugly but I managed it.

10 TOP pulls - tuck position (on rings, done pretty fast so I could use momentum to help me complete the rep. As it was, rested after every 2-3, took me a good 10min to do this set.)

10 towel rows - Did these by hanging pillow covers through my rings, and did XR ground rows. Pillow covers i find easier to grip than towels as they are not as thick, and are smooth cotton, not fluffy.

cooldown - shadow boxing, wrist pushups 2x20, back bridges

Found this WoD difficult, but pleased with how tired I was afterward, I am certain I am going to be very sore tomorrow. :D

Jaylene Deane

Well after a long absence, and an enlightening moment that has stoked the fires, so to speak, I'm back. and ironically enough, the very WOD i did all those months ago, is the very same one, pretty much that i have returned to. A sign perhaps?

Nevertheless, here is what I did

warm up - joint rotations and 3 min jumping rope.

WOD 110422

cast wall walks - 1x4, 2x3, shortest rest I can manage in between sets, strength has improved with these.

1x5 headstand pike press

1x10 headstand straddle press

3 min rest

5 min total handstand facing wall.

Just doing the WoD from now on, what I can't do, i'll scale somehow. If i dont post a workout, could someone give me a friendly kick up the rear until its a habit please? :D

Blairbob

Sure, that's what I get paid to do to my girls, 5 days a week.

Jaylene Deane

And you're gunna do it to me, for free!? My own knight in shining armour! Life is good.

Jaylene Deane

WoD 110425

Oh boy, was this nasty. Thanks Coach!

Warm up - Skipping 3 or so minutes, joint rotations, dynamic stretches

4 rounds

2x cast wall walks

3x straddle to headstand

2x cast wall walks

5x full ROM bar dips to L-sit

2x cast wall walks

18x pushups (elbows tucked to sides)

3 minutes rest between rounds

I'm pumped that I managed to actually complete the 4 full rounds, thought I was gunna die :shock: at the end of round 2.

Playing around with muscle up transitions and attempts at ring dips has made me much stronger at bar dips, and I am able to push my hips forward and actually do an advanced pb L-sit! Woot! So now onto L-sits on the rings and jumping russian dips. Progression is an awesome thing....

I simply did normal push-ups as substitutes for clapping, cause when I read that on the WoD I laughed....no way, not yet. Not by a long mile, still working on 15 consecutive push-ups...

Now just to wake up tomorrow morning and see how broken I am! :D

Blairbob

Master the support on rings before you really try working the ring L-sit.

See about doing a feet supported russian dip or negatives. You can use a cheap band. Buy a bike tube and cut it, works pretty well and should be pretty cheap.

My girls are not necessarily so happy about me doing it, for free or being paid. Heh.

Jaylene Deane

...Blairbob's gunna toast me by the sound of that. 8) Thanks for the feedback/tips btw. Much appreciated.

Righto... WoD 110426

3 sets of -

1x Chair assist MU

2x XR support (Hold for 5 seconds, trying to lock elbows and turn rings out)

2x chair assist Russian dips

1x chair assist MU (lower from support as slow as possible)

2x Inverted hang to German, pull to inverted, lower to tuck FL, pull to inverted. (3-1-3 tempo)

3-4 minutes rest between sets

Followed by -

15 second Tuck FL to 15 seconds German Hang, get down off rings and cast wall walk, 15 second handstand, walk down - 5 sets, 30 seconds rest between.

2x10 wall extensions

Well. Can't do MU, but I did my best, focused more on the support section, trying to lock my elbows and turn the rings out. Figured out that if I focus on pushing my shoulders down through the rings I can lock my elbows, but I cannot turn the rings out. Didn't stop me trying though. This WoD munted my grip, forearms and triceps, I am certain there will be more later, but that's what is dead right now. Really need to work German hangs, me no good at them at all. This WoD was scaled down a lot. Pretty humbling to see how far I've got to go to even gain a basic strength progression...

Jaylene Deane

Woooh, three in a row! I'm on a rooooll!

am: 1x1200m run approx 7minutes

5x 40m sprints 2-3 minutes rest between reps

pm: warm up - joint rotations, 2x25 Hindu squats, 3x30 second wall handstand

WoD 110428

3 sets of -

1x PB Advanced L-sit 15 s+ (5s rest) 5x assist Russian Dip 2-1-2

1x Tuck BL 15s (5s rest) + 6 Tuck German pulls 2-1-2

1x Tuck FL 15s (5s rest) + 6 HLL half 2-1-2

1 minute rest between sets

Then 10 bridge wall walks

This WoD was pretty straight forward to scale! was happy about that, and yes, my back and core are weak. was a little surprised at how bad my back is compared to the rest. so now I know what to focus on to bring it up to par. One of the guys I work with suggested to do some kettlebell swings or deadlifts, so will give those a go.

Blairbob

Yep, those are two good exercises as are good mornings, straight/stiff leg deadlifts, and reverse-hypers.

Jaylene Deane

Awesome, I'm seeing about borrowing a couple of kettllebells, but if that doesn't eventuate, I'm pretty sure I've got enough weights and a bar laying around somewhere to get me started, I'll have to Google a few of those exercises Blairbob, thanks for the suggestions!

anyway, today's WoD!

Warm up: joint rotations, 2x20 wrist push-ups, 2x10 shoulder dislocates, 3 minutes skipping

WoD - 110429

4 Rounds of -

60s Hindu Squats(regretted this choice shortly after the first round, but oh well...)

10 body lever - negatives

5 Pull ups (tried to hold a L-sit position at the top of the rep for as long as I could. Not very successful)

5 Ring rows, feet elevated (using towels through the rings so I could still get some grip training...)

2-3 minutes rest between rounds

Ah. The joys of being a girl. :roll: All my pulling strength is weak, I struggle with this quite badly, but oddly, looking back on the weeks progress, my pushing strength is okay, like dips and cast wall walks and such. Next week, I'm going to start with some extra back work, and more is going to have to be done with my core and pulling strength. So hopefully in around 6-8 weeks, I will be more balanced.

I've give it some thought, everyone needs a goal to try and achieve, and I've decided on a kipping MU. Setting my sights on Xmas week or there abouts being able to do it, but not sure if that's realistic given my current abilities. Doesn't matter though, I'll just focus on smashin it!

Joshua Naterman

If you can't make kettlebells happen, just use dumbbells! Heck, at first you can even use a small-ish duffel bag full of sand. That'll get you up to 30 lbs at least.

Welcome back!

Jaylene Deane

Damn good idea that right there Slizz. Didn't think to do something that obvious. And thanks, I won't be leaving again. I've got my very own Blairbob to sic it to me should I diverge from the path! :twisted:

Jaylene Deane

Evil. Pure Evil. :shock: But then, I'm not very strong yet, though I don't reckon it'll take very long with this sorta stuff! :D

Right ze warm-up

3 min skipping, dynamic leg lifts all directions for 7 reps, joint rotations

WoD 110502

3 rounds -

30m high step sprints - 60s rest

10 weighted killers (5kg) - 60s rest

5 GHR half - then 5 minutes rest

60s total time straddle L - PB bent

Woooh, this was good, after I completed it :D Chose the high step sprints cause I had 30m, but not a vest or kettlebellls or a hill, so I picked the nastiest version on the sprint I know. Focused on lifting the knee up and high before bringing it close to the chest and driving off the ground to acheive both height and distance. Pretty pleased with my form, big arm action, my old running coach would be stoked. These got me puffing in no time flat. Also got pretty hard to lift my legs in the last 10m or so.

And Coach is a monster, in the nicest possible way of course, he even appropriately named them. Killers.

1.25kg is the smallest weights I had to put on the dumbbells, so thats what went on there and looks like I guesstimationed the right amount as I was only just able to complete all the sets, and my legs almost failed me in the last round.

I have a question with the straddle L-sit, it might sound weird how I describe it but, when you lift your hips, do you try and lift them up and...sorta in like your pulling then into your armpits, or up and back, like the frogstand? It sounds strange, but to me they are different...If no one gets what I'm on about its okay.

Anyway, looking forward to reading everyone's WoDs! Keep smashin it peoples!

Newguy

About the straddle L, Yes. For pressing through to a HS you want to pull up and back, but for doing a regular Straddle-l that you are trying to get as high as possible, you also want to up and back while focusing on keeping your legs parallel to the ground. Just don't go "to" far back when you don't want to press through. (Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I am right)

Jaylene Deane

Nice, thanks Newguy, glad my weird question wasn't so weird after all. I've discovered that I learn things faster if i know what they are supposed to feel like, as opposed to what they look like.

Okies, onto today's WoD!

warm up - 2x20 shoulder dislocates, 3 min skipping, joint rotations

WoD 1105030

1x10 cast wall walks (small rests between reps)

1x5 pike press to headstand (ditto as above)

1x10 straddle press to headstand (and again...)

4 minutes rest

Walking HeSPU Ladders

2x10 wrist pushups

Cast wall walks are getting better slowly, the amount I can do in a row without rest has not improved(4) but the form has, I'm much more coordinated so its really getting the shoulders burning!

Headstands have improved also,I do not need the wall any longer as a reference/safety net when doing these and the pike and straddle in this WoD has got me to a ah-ha moment! when I kick up into handstand now,I can easily find the 'spot' to balance, it wasn't a fluke either, I did it 8 times in a row! Freestand here I come! Woooh!

HeSPU ladders were a mess, I'm not able to do anything more than a negative, but oddly enough, I can do a wall walk of about 10 steps before I fall on my face. So I did 2xnegative HeSPU then 6-8 steps wall walking for 4 rounds. Had to stop cause I couldn't support my weight taking steps on my hands anymore. and was dropping, not lowering the negatives.

All in all, an excellent workout. Thanks Coach!

As a side note, just a week of this type of training has increased my movement speed and agility enough at boxing for my coach to ask what pills I'm on. And he told me to keep taking em, whatever they are!

Jaylene Deane

Thursday 5th May

Coach hasn't posted a WoD for today :cry: , so I warmed up and had a play round, see what I could do.

38s total time XR support, completly straight arms (I checked) focusing on chest up, elbows locked and rings out. Rings cant get past parallel to the body yet, but its better than turned in.

2x5 assist russian dips

1 rep PB full ROM dip + 10kg :shock: (couldn't do anymore. I tried...my oath I tried.)

3x30s PB advanced L-sit half

4x15s tuck FL( Gunna have to film myself with the statics, see where I'm at.)

4x15s BL tuck(last 2 was feeling strong so palms down. Oh yeah)

3 sets wall walks - 8,7,5. (I was aiming for 20 steps, so i was stoked!)

30s total time free stand handstand. Lotta reps and kicken up there...

Then decided that It's nearly midnight and I had better write this up and go to bed. Not much time to workout after earning some money for the day, but hey, one needs bills paid and food...and house..and yeah..

Jaylene Deane

...And then I check the WoD and he's posted a new one. *sigh* Oh well, I need to do outside stuff for that so I'll do tomoz.

pogo69
Jaylene said:
Coach hasn't posted a WoD for today :cry: , so I warmed up and had a play round, see what I could do.

Ye, 99% of the time, the WODs are up in time for us in Oz to do them any time after about 2-3pm (often earlier). But every now and then life intrudes and you won't see the post until very late in the evening as per last night's.

Many people even in areas closer to coach's timezone do the WODs a week behind, both so that you have a buffer for late posts and also so that you can glean tips from other people's scaling ideas.

However, if you want to run with the pack, the WODs do follow a pattern, so you can make an educated guess at what will be coming next and at least work on the "correct" areas.

Swarovski gave me some hints on his deciphering of the pattern in a thread on my Workout Log. I'd completely failed in my attempts to work it out, but from what I could see from post-analysing a series of WODs, Swarovski's nailed it:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4933&start=90#p51201

Jaylene Deane

Hey Pat, thanks for the link, I've started working my way through other's logs, hadn't got to yours yet otherwise I would have noticed that little gem. Swarovski be much smarter than me, I recognized the WoD followed a very specific pattern but ugh, so much to work out! Being a week behind would be smart, but I like looking forward to each new WoD. Its like Xmas. The anticipation keeps me motivated. But I'm one behind now so I've got a little buffer.

Okies, onto the good stuff.

WoD 110505

complete 4 rounds

60s on the speed rope

5 box jumps (knee height)

20m Squat jumps

5 depth jumps

2-3 minutes rest between rounds.

Bit annoyed with how this turned out, living in Tassie sucks sometimes. Dark and temperature was hovering just above freezing. At 6pm.

Finished work and went down to our local Army Barracks to do the PFA and unfortunatly failed again, 2 shuttles short from being in the Reserves....Grrrr. :evil:

came straight home and into this. Legs were a bit fatigued from the previous attempt at the beep test, so the speed jumping wasn't as fast as I otherwise could have managed. Wish it was still summer so I could run outside instead.

20m of squat jumps was nasty, but I'm liking how my coordination and explosiveness has picked up, progress is slow, but steady. Looking forward to seeing how awesome I'm gunna be this time next year!!

swarovski

hahaha... cheers mate! too kind of you Pat.

the funny thing is that I haven't even tried the wods yet as I do believe in a certain entry level fitness requirements. I'll get there, eventually.

Jaylene, not smarter for sure, it's just my need to figure things out, to understand. As you said it was a time consuming process, not a very complicated one.

Jaylene Deane

well all I can say Swarovski is that its a beautiful thing that need to understand of yours, and the patience to go with it! I have patience, but not with that sorta stuff. :? So cheers for sharing, hope one day I too can contribute something so useful for everyone!

Jaylene Deane

Pumped! I watch Ts00nami do his thing on the rings and I wanna do that too, that would be awesome!(me gotta looong way to go though..) So back to it, and the 2nd week. This week making the conscious effort to clean the diet up and see how much better my training gets. Also started working on the one legged squat cause my legs are weak (for now) and the one arm push-up (cause I can)

warm up - 3 minutes skipping, joint rotations, shoulder dislocates,

1x5 partial ROM pistol onto box, 1.25kg weight, focus on balance and form

1x5 wall one arm push-up (each arm, obviously...) focusing on body tightness and form

WOD 110506

3 sets of:

chair assist MU

10 XR shoulder stand partial jumps (learning this position, I will practise it this week, should be able to jump to inverted soon, doesn't feel beyond my strength lvl, just a lack of confidence with it..)

2 negative HeSPU

2 Inverted hang neg tuck FL pull

2 inverted hang neg BL pull

3-4 minutes rest between sets then -

5 sets of

15s tuck FL to Tuck BL 15s(I can do this now! :D ) to 15s HS freestand (with a little assist. I have my rings hanging of my chin up bar, so I did handstands under that and used my toes to catch my balance. clever me)

2x10 wall extensions