This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

JAYLENE'S FIRST POST AND WOD!

Started by Jaylene Deane, December 9, 2010 · 126 Replies · 8,568 Views

Jaylene Deane

Pressed for time today, slept in, which killed any chance of training before heading off to work. So I've had to do the WoD at 11pm. Tired, and a little pissed at myself as I don't have time or the concentration to work on extra stuff.

Brief warm up, 5min on floor-to-ceiling.

WOD 081231

Complete 4 rounds:

30s PB support swings

1x5 Pull ups

10s towel hang (my addition for grip work)

Rest 3-5 min between rounds

edit: Had a coffee and perked up enough to do 10min or so HS work before heading off for some sleep. Also must make sure to read up on support swings to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

Jaylene Deane

Short, fast walk back from a friend's place as warm up and then:

WOD 090102

Preform: 3x5 box SLS (no added weight, increased ROM slightly)

3x5 GHR (attempt a curl up next time.)

rest was on average 3min, last set was challenging but not difficult. Extra stuff I worked on was 3x3 XR chin-ups, 3 sets of scaled ring series 1, and 3x10s towel hangs.

Looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and then three days off. Xmas+retail= :evil: and :cry:

Jaylene Deane

Sadly my gaming computer shat itself and has left me unable to play my Xmas present of Skyrim and the poor little netbook is not monstrous enough to process such goodies. *sigh*

Other than that it has been a fab Christmas, and here's hoping everyone else had an awesome time, ate lots and spent good times with family and friends.

warm up - 5min of floor-to-ceiling

3x scaled ring series 1

rested 20min or so and then:

WOD - 090103

Preform:

10min of HS wall runs - 5:06 Wall walking, 4:44 mixture of stomach to wall and back to wall HS, managed the occasional few seconds of freestand, total time to complete was 36min 49s so that is a lot of rest.... :oops:

2x6 pike wall press HeS - was unable to complete the 2nd set as pike, so after 4 attempts at pressing, switched to straddle and managed to finish the set.

3x10 wrist pushups (from knees)

So...I set myself 30min to finish wall runs, and failed, but the goal is to this time next year to be able to complete 10min of wall walks in 20min. I think this is achievable with some hard work. I'd love to say 'yeah 10min straight, no worries!' but that's just dreaming and I now know better. So I'll add that to my list of skillz I want to achieve (come on MU!) I am pleased I managed to spend 10min total time on my hands. That in itself is pretty good! couldn't do that a year ago.

Jaylene Deane

Felt like I was recovering from an autopsy this morning, HS and wall runs monstered me. Will not be working on extra things today, the WOD was a struggle enough.

Warm up - Quite the sunny day in Tassie atm, didn't take very long to crack a light sweat with the skipping rope at all.

WOD 090108

Complete 3 giant sets:

Frogstand 10s x2 + jumping MU x2(was supposed to do 3-5 reps but could not manage 3 to save my life)

Tuck BL 6s x2 + RLL x5(unweighted)

Tuck FL 6s x2 + L-sit lifts x5(bum on floor, hands lvl with knees)

10s rest between static and exercise, 2min rest between giant sets

Finished with 10 bridge wall walks.

Jaylene Deane

Nicely recovered from the HS wall runs and feeling good. Have a day off tomorrow so looking forward to working extra FSP and towel hangs. May do some extra stuff after work tonight, see how I go for time.

Warm up: Shadow boxing, floor to ceiling.

WOD 090109

Complete 4 rounds

30s swinging dips (progression 1 according to Coach's essay)

20 'steps' penguin walks on dipping station

went straight from swings to walks, 2-3min rest between rounds

finish with 2x10 wrist pushups(knees)

This WOD was tough. The 4th round was almost impossible to lock out on support, and I actually 'got' the timing for the swinging dips late in the 3rd but was tired and unable to get the best quality of reps I could. Next time I'll be all good though. ROM I think is about half of full I'll have to video it to be sure, the last round it really wasn't much past a slight bend and struggle to lock out on support! :lol:

It's really amazing how you can have good strength, (for me anyway my whole 2 ring dips, strongest I have ever been in my life) but as soon as you use it such as swinging dips really it's not even half ROM on bars. It is truly staggering to realize how much strength there is to gain and how weak I am :shock: . I know I am weak but....wow.

Jaylene Deane

Boxing training today and by oath was that utter blah. My shoulders are munted from swinging dips yesterday and it made me sloooow. So I got hit in the head. A lot.

That aside my coach laughed at me, told me he could tell I was sore and that my form was still good despite it. So not as bad as I thought.

Didn't get around to extra work last night and considering today I'm in a little more pain than I'd like, after dinner and before some sleep gunna stretch everything out and do FSP. But that's later.

Today's workout

WOD 090112

Preform:

3x5 deck squats(10kg plate)

3x5 GHR - half

finished with 3x10 hip extensions - I. Hate. These. So. Much. Used to do something similar in my Hapkido training years ago. Doesn't matter what you call them, they are still evil.

Jaylene Deane

Mini holiday starting today, no work till the end of the week. No work on my birthday either! Yay! This morning I didn't wake up sore from the swinging dips I did on Thursday, finally recovered.

Also did the traditional 'training goals I want to achieve this year' list.

A muscle-up

10s free standing HS and to be able to do 10min of wall walks in the WOD it always pops up in.

The next lvl of FSP progressions. So advanced frogstand, flat tuck BL, ect.

That's it. Also started putting money away for a seminar if Coach decides to do another one in Australia this year. I'm not missing out on that again.

WOD 081229

Complete 3 giant sets, 1-2min rest between sets.

Tuck BL 6s (2 reps) + 3 XR rows (feet on ground)

Frogstand 10s (2 reps) + 3 XR pushups (feet on ground)

Tuck FL 6s (2 reps) + 3 HLL half

finished with 10 bridge wall walks

Been pretty slack with editing the log with stuff I work on later in the day. Will ensure I do so this time.

EDIT: Did 5x3 XR chin-ups, jumping Muscle ups and 10min each of pike, pancake and splits stretching. Also researched foam rolling and gunna implement some soon after I get a better handle on it.

Jaylene Deane

Warm up - 5min jump rope, shoulder dislocates 2x10, joint rotations

WOD - 090113

20min HS wall runs, out of 20min total 4:55 on hands in sets of 16-25 'steps.'

2x10 wrist push-ups (knees)

So I have to gain another 5-6 minutes on my hands, wall runs smash my shoulders. I'm also going to have to work on body tightness to try and get those few extra steps. Disappointed in the amount of work time I can manage, but I guess everyone starts somewhere.

Extra work today was 5x3 false grip pull-ups. Today for the first time I managed to get the start of the transition at the top of the pull up. I can now get the rings to my collarbones and start the 'roll over bit'. Well the feeling of it anyway. Happy with my false grip, not having any trouble with it and developing the calluses on my wrists. It is not as painful to hold the grip now the skin has toughened up some.

Jaylene Deane

WOD 090115

2 rounds

20 FL tuck pulls

10 neg back pulls(tuck)

Was unable to complete the 4 scheduled rounds of this WOD so after a rest worked FL tuck and BL tuck until unable to complete good form. A tough WOD as it felt like I wasn't working much, but I was doing something. Through the entire WOD I only completed 3 actual tuck front pulls, elbows locked out on lower, chin above the rings at the top. After those I was also unable to complete them in a row or without momentum.

Disappointing, but this is an advanced WOD and I should have scaled it right back, but because I managed the actual movement, I thought it was all good. Will not make that mistake again.

Extra work today was 3 sets of ring series 1(scaled) and 3x3 XR false grip pull-ups. Had my first attempt at getting rid of the forward lean on my XR support, and was surprised that I could make enough of a correction to feel a huge difference. Something else to work on, of course. Wanted to do a little more, but my tendons let me know it was time to call it a day.

Enjoying my training immensly now and happy about that as it's a damn sight different than a few months ago when I felt like throwing the towel in. Can't imagine not training this way now and look forward to working out when I wake up in the morning. :D

Adam Bodestyne
Jaylene said:
Enjoying my training immensly now and happy about that as it's a damn sight different than a few months ago when I felt like throwing the towel in. Can't imagine not training this way now and look forward to working out when I wake up in the morning. :D

Sounds like a good start to the year.

Jaylene Deane

Yup, indeed a great start to the year. With some consistant work, it will stay that way. Put my first bit of money away today toward a seminar, should Coach hold one in Australia this year. (Pretty please Coach?) Thanks for stopping by on my log thanners any support and feedback is much welcome!

The WOD for today was a bit of a debacle for me. The actual series of movements Coach prescribed was easy enough to scale, and I'm reading away thinking, 'righto, I've improved okayish in the last couple of months, I can do an ugly back roll on the rings, wonder if I can figure out an ugly front roll?'

So on the forum I go, found Coach's instructions, broke it down and proceeded outside to have a go. 20 minutes later finds me quite fatigued and swearing at my physical dyslexia. :? I cannot do it at all.

So I take my tiny bit of ego I had developed and squish it firmly underfoot and go back to the only ring series I can sorta do. In some ways boxing and gymnastics are very similar. Both are excellent at humbling you...

WOD 090116

Preform 3 sets

Scaled ring series 1

3x5 6s tuck BL

3x5 6s tuck FL

Finished with 10 wall extensions.

Not going to do any extra work today, I think 20min of working out how to a forward roll Is enough, I can tell already I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Jaylene Deane

Well, I did end up sore, nothing serious though. Travel arcoss the state prevented doing the WOD yesterday and boxing today :cry: , but I'm not gunna kick myself about it. I'll just catch up and train harder.

Warm up - Joint rotations, 5min jumping rope.

WOD 090119

Complete 3 giant sets:

- IH, lower to tuck BL (2x6s)+ 5 false grip XR chins

- 10s frogstand + 5 floor PPP (hands lvl with lower ribs)

- IH, lower to tuck FL (2x6s) + 3 HLL half

Finish with 10 bridge wall walks

Strangely the WOD this evening was a bit of a struggle to do, but afterward I feel awesome. I think the crap food I have eaten the last couple of days has made me lethargic. I have also decided after a long hard look in the mirror, that it's time to do something about losing weight. Although I am not morbidly obese I need to get down to a more ideal 63ish kg, so I have around 15kg to lose. My actual end result weight I don't really care, the mirror is a better way of judging things in my opinion.

Well, looking forward to the WOD tomorrow and getting back to routine!

Jaylene Deane

Felt a cold creeping up on me yesterday, so did the garlic supplements, ginger and orange peel 'tea' and waking up this morning it seems to have worked, I feel pretty good, just have to keep the garlic and ginger up for a couple of days and extra water and sleep.

WOD 090120

Complete as many rounds as possible in 15min:

10 depth jumps

20 box SLS (10 each leg)

30 HeS straddle RLL

Managed one full round, the RLL ate most of the time but I am improving with these and this time I was smart and picked a progression that I could actually complete the required reps with. The second round wasn't fully completed, finished up a bit over time with the last few SLS but I surprised myself, I got more done than I though I could.

Finished up with 2x30s seated pointed toe stretch.

Planning on doing some extra training later this evening, but for now off to work.

Jaylene Deane

WOD 090122

Complete the following:

3x5 negative SLS (wall assist)

3x5 NLC (hand assist)

Finished with 60s total in straddle L half.

Major cramps in the calves from NLC, it is very difficult to keep the hips from piking, I am a long way from being able to do these properly. Years from it. However, the attempt at having flat hips at the top, near vertical, is enough to feel the strain, some hamstring, mostly calves. I'm going to be sore tomorrow, I can tell. :(

SLS is improving slowly, I can lower a lot further than before, the 'stuck' point is a lot closer to the floor. The stretching is helping a lot.

Not happy with my statics, I'm going to do a seperate static workout on the weekends and Wednesday and see what progress I can make.

Boxing tomorrow and looking forward to it :mrgreen:

Jaylene Deane

Boxing went well, but today tested FSP and now have a SSC to do daily. It consists of:

Tuck FL 6x10s

Tuck BL 6x10s

L-sit half 6x10s

Frogstand 6x10s

Wall HS 4x30s

HS is going well, minor adjustments were to narrow my 'stance' slightly, I now feel more solid and feels like I use my back to support me as well as my shoulders and arms. Not sure if that is right or not, but it is more tiring, but stable.

All up in the HS work I managed total around 10s or so free standing. Noice. A few holds I can actually do longer work sets but I don't care I've made it round numbers for easy memorizing. Not worrying about straddle-L or Manna as I think proper L-sit will be sufficient enough work for now.

Jaylene Deane

Tired from the statics but it's not affecting WOD's at the moment. So far handling it well.

Warm up - Joint rotations, dislocates.

WOD 090127

Preform 3 sets:

Modified ring series 1

3x5 tick-tocks (tuck)

10 wall extensions

Rests were 5 minutes between ring series, a couple of minutes between tick-tocks. They smashed by grip, the skin on my hands is pretty tender and forearms are really tired. Static work later this evening is going to be pretty tough to complete I think but I don't mind if it takes me an hour to do, it will be done. Shoulder flexibility is at an all time high getting better arm contact with the wall during extensions. All in all another productive workout.

Jaylene Deane

Did 5min or so of jumping rope, joint rotations and then got stuck in.

WOD 090130

Complete 4 rounds:

10 hanging tap swings

15 jumping towel pull-ups

2x5 German hang tuck pulls

The WOD called for kipping pull ups, but I have never done these before, or heard of them actually, so I found Coach's essay and found the first progression. It is quite the challenge to keep the arch/hollow extensions even. Towel pull ups have improved, even though I still need to jump I feel stronger in doing them. GH pulls in tuck super cramped my grip, the WOD called for 10 reps in a single rep, I couldn't complete this without coming down after 5-7 reps to shake my arms out and stretch the fingers.

Statics I will do soon, and they are gunna be tough to complete tonight, I'm actually very tired but I will take it slow and do what I can. Injuries are to be avoided at all costs.

Jaylene Deane

Still a bit sore from Tuesday so was pleased to discover a leg day WOD.

Warm up - jumping rope, joint rotations

WOD 090202

Preform:

3x5 box SLS

3x5 GHR - half

Then 60s total straddle L work + stretching

Pretty basic and not much to add note-wise. Off to work now, will complete static work after I get home tonight.

Jaylene Deane

Wrote up the Friday workout, but didn't post it?? Weird. But anyway, what I did was, from memory:

WOD 090203

15min of HS wall ladders

2x6 pike press HeS

Finished with 2x10 wrist pushups

Highest was 8 consecutive steps which if my maths is good is 36? total steps in a row. I did this 3 times and then the rest of the 15 minutes was holding stomach to the wall HS, shifting weight from shoulder to shoulder, and then when that was too difficult, just standing on my hands. I seem to be having difficulty gaining volume with wall walking, maybe just go back to shifting weight from side to side in HS for a few months? Would this be a good idea? Any thoughts anyone?

Also after a week of doing statics every night, it is too much volume. I am not sore, but cannot recover properly and end up smashed at the end of the week making the WOD a struggle. So I will start working them in two nights a week and build from there. Once again, too much too soon.

As to tonight:

WOD 090205

Complete 4 rounds:

20 deck squats

30s shuttle run (5m/10m/15m)

10m senders

Preformed this WOD almost as written, except for the deck squat scaling and the 'beginning' lvl of my senders :D Every time I do one of these types of WODs, I marvel at how unfit I am. Was pleased however with my performance, went much better than expected. My sprinting form is poor, I know I am too upright, but something else to work on I suppose!

Jaylene Deane

WOD 090206

Preform:

3 sets of scaled ring series 1

3x5 10s full hollow holds

finished with 10 wall extensions

Lot of rest with this WOD, and I was pretty stoked with my hollow performance, some serious cramps with the last 2 holds in each set but form was really good. I am unable to do a body lever negative and actually have nowhere to attempt them, so this was the next best thing and the best choice for my level.

Extra work tonight was handstands, and I am starting to understand how to adjust my shoulders and weight on my hands to keep balance. Although I am not able to hold a free stand for any more than a couple of seconds I able to do it more often. Also played with tuck handstands and these are a lot of fun :D

Jaylene Deane

Happy Australia Day! (well, to those of us who are lucky enough to live in the far South!)

Starting to get a little frustrated with what appears to me as a lack of progress... I know I'm making little tiny bits of progress, I just wish there was a jump in something so I could feel better about it. I've been training for ages now, and I haven't even achieved a next progression in statics. Not even one. Reading through other people's logs, things seem to happen a lot faster for them...

I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, and I know I'm sooking, but it's my log and that's part of training.

Well. Anyway.

WOD 090209

Preform 3 giant sets:

Inverted hang lower to tuck BL (2x10s) + 5 XR pull-ups

Planche lean (2x10s) + 5 HeSPU neg

Pull to tuck FL (2x10s) + 5x10s hollow hold

Finished with 10 bridge wall walks

Also did sloooow MU negatives until my elbows had enough, 4 reps and a few reps of pull-ups as high as I could into the transition. Right. I'm off to eat and kill some stuff in Gears. That should make me feel a bit better. :mrgreen:

Jaylene Deane

WOD 090210

complete 4 rounds:

1x30s planks (front, reverse and sides)

20s clapping push-ups (knees)

8m Ag walk (progression 3)

2x10 wrist push-ups (knees)

Look at all the support and core work!!! Evil WOD. Mind you, it is super scaled. Bucket circles, um, no where to do, ditto with Germans and not strong enough for the full blown Ag. Never mind. Worked some MU negatives, the usual 4 reps, might try for a couple more later after dinner. Of course it depends entirely upon how the tendons feel.

Jaylene Deane

Well last week I had a small bout of laziness, but I have jumped on it before it became a big problem. I did complete Monday and Tuesday's WODs (which I will write up in a moment, using my notes) but then proceeded to have a full blown geek week, with work and video games. However I did make some major improvements with my diet, and feeling better for it. So back on track.

Monday - WOD 090212

3x5 weighted deck squats(10kg)

3x5 neg GHR half

Finished up with 3x10 hip extensions (forward, side and circular.)

Deck squats are improving in form, still not quite ready to increase weight for reps, negative GHR half is also improving, I can do the exercise a lot slower now. Hip extensions I can now maintain the height of my leg until the last few reps in the 3rd set. Very small but consistent improvements.

Tuesday - WOD 090213

12x30s wrist HS, 45s rest between reps

2x10 wrist push-ups.

This was a tough WOD the first 2 reps I managed face to wall, and then the remainder were completed as back to wall HS. I did however manage to stick to the 45s rests until the second to last rep which was a full minute. Pretty pleased with the effort and did manage around 10s or so worth of free standing HS throughout the WOD. Nice!

Today - WOD 090216

3 rounds

10 XR chin-ups

10 XR TOP pull neg (tuck)

5 tick tocks (tuck)

The actual WOD called for 4 rounds but that was beyond me as 10 XR chin ups is max PB (which I achieved with this WOD!) which means I should not have used it for sets, but hey, I got a bit of ego and didn't want to do wussy jumping ones. Bad ego. If I had scaled properly I would have completed 4 rounds. As to MU progress, negatives are becoming very slow, and pulls up to the point in transition where I can almost get my shoulders over my hands is infuriating at how close it is. :x But the elbows tendons are still not strong enough... so slow and steady we go.

Jaylene Deane

WOD 090217

Preform:

3x scaled ring series 1

3x5 L-sit straddle lifts (floor)

extra work - 10 HS tuck lower (focusing on hip compression)

I understand the hip compression needed for HS presses, I know the feeling to chase now, but lack (by a LOT) the flexibility and strength to do it. Mostly flexibility. I can control coming down in the tuck slow enough to feel the muscles working, got some nice cramps, but really have to focus on stretching heavily and I think I could make some progress with this skill. Also added a XR dip into the ring series today and had no trouble, so I think that's going to stay there. So before bed will work wall HS and stretching.

Jaylene

Hi all I'm back, well back to posting workout log information.

 

I will simply post progress at the end of a four week cycle with improvements and problems/notes on what to improve and work on. I am boxing three times a week at a gym now and I have attempted to change my training to reflect this.There is still gymnastic skills I'd like to achieve but I am far more concerned with gaining strength and agility for my chosen sport. 

 

So a summery for the last two and a half months.

 

I started a cycle on the 9th Jan this year consisting of:

 

3x5 -  chin up negatives (bar)

5x5 - dips (pb)

3x5 - Push ups

3x20 kettle bell swings (16kg)

 

10th Feb

 

Warm up - 200 reps - jump rope

               - XR support - total time 60s 

               - 3x10s GH

 

Workout  - 3x6 chin up negatives

               - 3x1 XR dips

               - 3x6 XR rows (ground)

               - 3x6 diamond pushups

               - 1x22 Hindu squats

               - Jump rope - 150 reps

Followed by stretching working on pancake, pike and vertical splits

 

10th March

 

Warm up - 200 jump rope

               - 3x8s GH

 

Main workout - 3x4 XR dips

                      - 7x3 chin ups/bar (light foot assist)  

                      - 3x7 XR rows (ground)

                      - 3x9 diamond pushups

                      - 33 hindu squats

                      - 3min jump rope

stretching - working on pancake, pike, vertical splits and Achilles tendon flexibility. Also began deep tissue massage with tennis ball to help with stretching. 

 

I have made a fair amount of progress this way and the body is holding up well, no aches or pains and I do not wake up sore. Occasionally I will become fatigued due to lack of sleep through work commitments but I correct this asap.So once again enjoying my training!