Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

weight training + gymnastics

Rice

thanks slizzard, can´t wait for your answer on assistance :)

Yeah 5/3/1 shall be a very nice programm, i should deal with it some time.

But at the moment i´m really fine with my Basic strength plan, because i´m not struggling or so. I can increase the weight almost every training, so it seem to work for me! Only the BB rows i´ll probably kick out, if you say they are really better, and then do kroc rows or FL rows instead

Joshua Naterman

I'd focus on kroc rows for the heaviest back training and maybe swap them with FL rows when you can do them tucked. Kroc rows are fairly explosive, and the FL rows are not generally done explosively so much, but you CAN. The shift in emphasis from two handed to one handed rowing will be good for you. Every 5-6 workouts switch over to just doing BB rows for 2-3 workouts and alternate between working them lighter with a tempo and good form and explosively without terrible form. For explosive work, there is not a magic number. Stop doing reps the moment you realize you are starting to lose power. You should be able to get at least 8-10 reps. At first it is adviseable to not move at 100% speed but instead to start with a faster than normal eccentric and explode up concentrically immediately as you get near the end ROM. Each week make the eccentric SLIGHTLY faster, until over the course of 2-3 months you start movign eccentrically as fast as possible and immediately reversing the motion. Failure to ease into that kind of true plyometric work can result in catastrophic injury. As in full muscle separation from the bone. This maximum speed is primarily of use to combat athletes and competitive rowers in the upper body, though I suppose that on some gymnastic events there would be good carryover as well, so you may be ok with just working reasonably fast for your purposes.

Nice! Then i´ll definitely as you suggest, do Kroc rows and alternate them with BB rows (explosvie) sometime. That´s a good idea i think!

And what would you suggest on the other gymnastics/ringexercises that i listed above? Are these all exercises, that i should do or better just a few of them (because they shall work as assistance as you know, not as main part of my strength routine) ? And then of course, which of them shall i do for what sets etc.? I´ve done some for 60sec. max, like it´s is often suggested by this forum or coach summer in the BtGB says...next progression only, when i can do the 60sec. with no struggling and good form.

uhm, how do you mean that? Of course, the basics from 531. But the gymnastics as assistance? I can look in BtGB for every way of progression now, but how i should add the exercises i still don´t know. Or what do you mean? :?:

uhm, how do you mean that? Of course, the basics from 531. But the gymnastics as assistance? I can look in BtGB for every way of progression now, but how i should add the exercises i still don´t know. Or what do you mean? :?:

:)

Joshua Naterman

Starting on page 46 in the 531 manual you will see assistance programs. Follow the set rep schemes but replace bench with XR PPP, DB rows with body rows( though to be honest you should switch those every week), DL with half or full GHR, military press with box HeSPU or other HSPU variation you can do for required reps, HLL with stall bar HLL variations and switch that with body lever work every week. Chins should be replaced with pull up variations. Different grips are the key. Each set should be a different grip. When the sets/reps are easy start trying them in an L. The rest of the substitutions you can ask specifically about if you have trouble.

thanks.

i got a question on ring support holds i´m doing at the moment. I´m doing them on the day where i also benchpress.

How should i progress them, so that my bench won´t be interrupted by the ring exercise? I think dips would be the worse idea....

Joshua Naterman

I think that you should have PLENTY of juice left for the rings support holds after your bench sets. 531 is not a high volume program. If you find that to not be the case then just do them for warm ups! I honestly think that's where they belong anyways, because you shouldn't be going all out on the XR supports.

yes, i already do them BEFORE benchpress. I do all the gymnastic exercises before my strength training. So at the moment it looks like this:

R1:

Gymnastics:

- frog stand (total of 60sec.)

- low l-sit on rings (total of 60 sec.)

strength:

- sumo deadlift

- bench

- barbell row

+ some grip/ab training

R2:

Gymnastics:

- ring support hold (total of 90sec.)