Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength progress?

Kiyoshi

8) "le entra por una oreja y le sale por la otra" tipical spanish phrase.

Please keep posting on your goal for 40 consecutive pull ups! It is really interesting. I don't think you will have too much trouble reaching 100 push ups. Slizzard got there with 12 weeks to buds work out I think.

Thanks, I'm going to focus mainly on core/legs and pressing movements till my elbow feels better. You think its best to train pushups endurance by doing as many as I can? or doing small sets of like 20?

Alvaro Antolinez

Well I´m not the best suited at all to give advise. I am telling you just what I have read around for building great numbers of push ups and pull ups(basicly building endurance). Read Slizzard posts about preparing for BUDS and also "12 weeks to BUDS" navy seal fitness book. They should help you in your goals.

I did a backlever today, and afterwards my elbow hurts. The pain in my elbow came from doing too many pullups, but I didnt know back levers would hurt. Do back levers work the elbow different then pullups, and should I stay away from BL for a couple weeks or month or so till I heal.

I havent done pullups, just HLL and windshield wipers. also, when doing windshield wipers my knees hit my elbows so its really hard/annoying to keep doing them.

Just wondering, since my elbow hurts from pullups its okay to work on pushups and stuff right ?

Alexander Moreen

Only if they dont hurt, if you feel ANY pain in your elbow while doing, or after doing any exercise dont do it for now. You hurt your bicep tendon from doing too many pullups, backlever and planche are primarily bicep tendon focused exercises, so dont do those.

I was never condescending like what you have written here, with a few exceptions like where I bugged Ido about trying something or other with lifting and getting back to us with the results.

LOL! I remember that! I think I might of even said something along the lines of, "You have no idea who you are talking to, you better sit your a** down!" HAHAHA! Or maybe I was just thinking it. In any regards, you're cool now!

Only if they dont hurt, if you feel ANY pain in your elbow while doing, or after doing any exercise dont do it for now. You hurt your bicep tendon from doing too many pullups, backlever and planche are primarily bicep tendon focused exercises, so dont do those.

Really I do Planches all the time, every day and it doesnt hurt much. But the back lever hurts. And i can even hold a full one now. I guess I will have to hold off it for awhile.

How much strength will I lose from not doing it for a month or so. Same for pullups?

I can do 81 consecutive pushups now :) , it doesnt bother my elbow to the point of "ow" or sharp pain but I sometimes will feel my elbow a little more than usual. But I dont think pushups are something I cant do right now, so I can keep doing them right.:)

I have no experience with endurance work myself but I can definitely point you to the right sources: t-nation.com look for Alwyn Cosgrove's article on pushups and Nate Green's article on pullups they both deal with increasing the total number of repetitions.

When I attended my college a guy I met a few times held, at the time (don't know if he still does, but people like that don't usually just quit all of a sudden), the record for most chin ups done in one minute (56 or something like that). I saw him training a few times and his training wasn't anything complex he performed multiple sets with short rest periods of about 20-25 chin ups, extremely explosively though (it looked like he was flying up). Now nothing special but he would do between 4-5 sets and the 20-25 chin ups were not, at least before the last set, even remotely a challenge for him. It was a shame I didn't get to talk with the guy more about his training (he was close to a one arm chin up at the time), so these are just my observations of his training. Perhaps he didn't do that on regular bases or used a more complex system than I described.

If you don't trust the people here on elbow tendonitis then perhaps the great Jasper Benincasa can convince you with "You will experience elbow tendonitis. The only thing you can do is rest." this was in realtion to the one arm chinup but applies here as well and he did over 100 pullups in a row.

Alexander Moreen

I have done lots of consecutive pushups before, and I think what you are feeling in your elbow right now after pushups is the beginnings of what is called golfers elbow, which is tendinitis of the elbow with a different tendon than the one you have inflammed right now. If I'm right then you would feel it at the bottom inside of your elbow like in this picture http://www.apmsurgery.com/images/golfers_elbow_anatomy.bmp. If thats what you are feeling I would back off on the super high volume pushups for a bit.

Yes I have seen many of those online.

but can someone please inform me if doing Planche training, handstands, pushups, will all slow or stop the healing process.

The general rule is if it hurts before during or after don't do it. Don't push through pain, that will make it worse.

With tendentious sometimes when you are warm the pain goes away, and this isn't a sign that you can do more, because the pain will come right back in a few hours. This does make it tricky to know exactly when its time to go full on again. It is a sure thing that if the pain comes back at rest, then working it will not make it better.

As for exercise selection, its trial and error, but the rule is the same, if it causes pain don't do it. If it doesn't than is should be ok.

Its also really important to remember, this is an internet forum, and its always possible that everything is way off base, we only have your posts and our experience to base our replies on. Its not a substitute for a physical person who knows what they are talking about and who can actually see you. And at least for me thats why i keep the Rx as general as possible.

The general rule is if it hurts before during or after don't do it. Don't push through pain, that will make it worse.

With tendentious sometimes when you are warm the pain goes away, and this isn't a sign that you can do more, because the pain will come right back in a few hours. This does make it tricky to know exactly when its time to go full on again. It is a sure thing that if the pain comes back at rest, then working it will not make it better.

As for exercise selection, its trial and error, but the rule is the same, if it causes pain don't do it. If it doesn't than is should be ok.

I know it is tricky

I actually did my first full BL today, and no pain. I even did a few pullups, and no pain. And still a couple hours later, there is no pain in my arm. With my BL two days ago, it hurt alot right after. But then today it hasnt hurt at all. Sometimes my elbow just hurts randomly, after I wake up from bed. Or something, not many exercises aggrevate it.

How much pain should be enough to tell me to stop, just a little discomfort? Cause my arm feels pain and discomfort sometimes randomly.

But there isnt much sharp pain in my arm anymore. Maybe every once and awhile. Does that mean it has healed, and I can slowly start doing pullups and OAC progressions again.

Do you all think doing a small volume of pullups and OAC progressions will be ok? I havent done any pullup training for over a week.

Is doing like 40 pullups a good way to see if my elbow responds. So if I dont feel any more pain in it the next day, im good to go?

Oh yeah, since I finally got my rings set up I did my first muscle up on the ring today. They were slow and controlled. And also achieved a full backlever as well as adv.tuck planche.

Alexander Moreen

If you are still feeling pain throughout the day you are not healed. Even when you don't feel any at all you are still not healed, you just won't be currently inflammed. I think if it doesn't aggravate you then you could add some pullups, with no set being more than half of your maximum for sure(preferably less than that). Do not do any OAC stuff yet, that is crazy stress on your elbow, give it another week or 2 of zero pain before you do any of those.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are still feeling pain throughout the day you are not healed. Even when you don't feel any at all you are still not healed, you just won't be currently inflamed. I think if it doesn't aggravate you then you could add some pullups, with no set being more than half of your maximum for sure(preferably less than that). Do not do any OAC stuff yet, that is crazy stress on your elbow, give it another week or 2 of zero pain before you do any of those.

Brilliant advice, I've found doing half my max reps for a few sets to be a great way of rehabing my elbows. If the pain has only been a week or two then cold will help a lot on the joint. If its been a long term injury then heat is the best then as it's tendonosis rather than tendonitis. The later can take a very long time time to heal even with heat treatment.