Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice for tight, big calves

Tiffani Aerts

Tiffani Aerts

Hi all - I'm a 40 year old woman just starting my GB training. I have various experience with yoga, dance and kettlebell training, but I wouldn't consider myself accomplished or an athlete.  I have struggled with tight calves since I was a child.  I now realize this has to do with ankle mobility as well, but that's a slightly separate topic. Anyway, my calves get really tight and swollen, and the bulk up easily.  This is something I really want to correct and avoid.  I'm stretching a lot, and rolling them out. I get massages. I realize that some of the bulkiness has to do with over-functioning due to weak arches and thigh/core stability, which of course I'm also working on through the GB program.  So, my question is this:  Does anyone have any advice for getting my calves to relax and not bulk up?  Should I avoid calf raises? Are there any other exercises or protocols I should do or avoid?

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/1/2020 at 10:34 PM, Tiffani Aerts said:

Hi all - I'm a 40 year old woman just starting my GB training. I have various experience with yoga, dance and kettlebell training, but I wouldn't consider myself accomplished or an athlete.  I have struggled with tight calves since I was a child.  I now realize this has to do with ankle mobility as well, but that's a slightly separate topic. Anyway, my calves get really tight and swollen, and the bulk up easily.  This is something I really want to correct and avoid.  I'm stretching a lot, and rolling them out. I get massages. I realize that some of the bulkiness has to do with over-functioning due to weak arches and thigh/core stability, which of course I'm also working on through the GB program.  So, my question is this:  Does anyone have any advice for getting my calves to relax and not bulk up?  Should I avoid calf raises? Are there any other exercises or protocols I should do or avoid?

Hey Tiffani, just for my curiosity, in your daily work are you wearing shoes with heels?

Tiffani Aerts

Hi!  Asking about heels is a good question.  I used to wear heels a lot, but I don't anymore (just for special occasions).  I'm sure the heels didn't help, but I did start developing big, tight calves when I was 11 or 12 years old, way before I ever wore heels, so there's something about my genetics and body structure anyway. Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Well, i talk for experience, tight calves is something that i have carried with myself for the last 15 years with no solution. there are 2 anatomy points where you should develop mobility and maintain it...ankles and wrists. if not you are going to lose it permanently.