Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Choosing a Rope - Pros & cons of Rope types / diff Rope Fibers to start simple Rope Pullups / Rope Rows + DIY Climbing Rope Braid?

Avi Samuel

Choosing a Rope - Help- Pros and cons of these Rope types of different Rope Fiber varieties for a newbie just starting simple Rope pullups / Bodyweight row like pulling with ropes?

Rope Variety available: 

These varieties I have access to are available from this local place. 
http://gjropes.com/ropes/

- Cotton
- Jute 
- Nylon 
- Polyproylene 
- HD Polypropylene 
- Manila 
- Sisal 

I have not asked pricing as they are a wholesaler with a small retail front and would not entertain small quantities unless someone showed up knowing what to buy. 

They are an hour or so away so I'll have to make a personal visit and choose:
- Based on advise here and
- Pricing they have

It'd be easier for me to stick with the above local wholesaler.

PS: Would prefer something that was less abrasive on the hands/ palms (bunch of rough jute with stray fiber tends to be). 

Alternative - DIY hack of Mountain / Rock Climbing ropes braided as a make shift Gym Rope. - Youtube - 

Height & Length QUESTIONS: ??

At my parents place, Ceiling height - 10/ 11 ft., I have 2 metal loops (screwed into concrete) through which I have Xtreme Rings hanging.

I was thinking instead of a single rope of full height + little extra tail, maybe I should have
2 x height and loop the rope through the metal loops, on top of the Ring straps.  

Online Research: USA based stores & their steps/ recommendations on choosing ropes: 

If I was back in the US the online research pointed to these following options and suggestions on length/ material

https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/home.asp 
https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3 
https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2 

http://jammarmfg.com/product/indoor-gymnasium-climbing-ropes/
http://jammarmfg.com/product/rope-loop-eye-climbing-ropes/

Decide which Rope - Steps: 

Spoiler

Decide which rope:

Step 1: Choose between our rope options (see pictures);

Natural Manila – traditional, superior quality, pure “Grade A” manila rope. Best manila in the industry. This natural fiber rope absorbs perspiration for the best grip and is extremely durable, very little splinters.

Poly Dacron – these ropes introduce an extremely soft rope material as well as having excellent moisture and UV resistance characteristics. Has an extremely strong and lightweight polypro core with a soft and durable polyester outside jacket layer similar to the feel of cotton. Available in white, black or tan.

Polypro “Unmanila” – “unmanila” ropes consist of a specially manufactured polypro material which looks and feels like natural fiber ropes with superior strength and 2/3 the weight. Texture on surface allows good grip. Particularly popular on elementary level.

Step 2: Choose diameter;

1.25″ diameter – popular with elementary & grade school children.

1.50″ diameter – most popular amongst all ages, from high schools t0 military training.

2″ diameter – larger size proves for a much harder climbing challenge.

Step 3: Choose the length;

Gymnastic Rules: state that climbing ropes without bottom knots should be long enough so that at least 42″ of rope is on the floor. Measure distance from floor to overhead girder and add 3.5′.*

Regular Gymnasium: climbing ropes should be distance between the floor and the bottom of the overhead girder minus 1′.*

we can custom cut any rope you need.

* special considerations for beam clamps are not included in these measurements

Step 4: Choose between our 4 finished bottom options (see pictures);

(1) – whipped end

(2) – whipped end with a durable poly boot cover

(3) – large turk knot with leather seat

(4) – braided back

Step 5: Choose between our knot options/climbing assists (see pictures);

No Knots – traditional rope with no knots. Tougher and more challenging.

Rest Grip Knots (RGK) – woven & spliced onto rope every 18″ to provide better grip when ascending & rest areas descending.

Beginner Knots (BK) – large knots tied into the rope itself that form platforms every 18″.

Rubber Balls (RB) – very durable and very strong rubber balls attached every 18″.

Edited by Avi Samuel

Everett Carroll

Hi Avi,

The wholesaler close to you looks legit. Go with them if their pricing on manilla rope is fair. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2017 at 11:53 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Avi,

The wholesaler close to you looks legit. Go with them if their pricing on manilla rope is fair. 

Thanks. Keeping that as top of my list (seem to be most common followed by Sisal) - 
- What could my 2nd and 3rd choices? 
- Any Pros & Cons to them? Softer - Cotton Ropes? 

PS: This is just for my bedroom in addition to Rings attached from my ceiling. 

Came across this - 

I am wondering if this could be a more flexible and portable option/ tool for a person on the move. 

How many "9/10 mm" rope widths/ pairs do you think would be a nice alternative? - I am thinking of this as it can become a multipurpose thing / usable when I travel and move as well. Usable for rings, usable as a rope, and usable for other so many DIY ways when traveling with less baggage allowances -

Lighter tools that travel with you are more likely to be used. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Avi,

That braided rope looks good. The main thing you want to look for and avoid when selecting a rope is a slippery, plastic-like feel. If it has a good texture, go for it and get to climbing. Don't overthink it too much :) 

Nick Murray

Cotton feels wonderful, though it will wear out faster than some other fibres if you use it a lot. I have a sisal rope and while its rough, it won't strip the skin off your hands. It does drop a lot of fibres though.

Thanks. I am guessing most climbing rope should be non slippery (from what it looks like online) and have a thread/ fabric like feel - Anyone here who is into "Rock/ Mountain Climbing"? Can someone tag them and they could help clarify. 

On 7/17/2017 at 6:18 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Avi,

That braided rope looks good. The main thing you want to look for and avoid when selecting a rope is a slippery, plastic-like feel. If it has a good texture, go for it and get to climbing. Don't overthink it too much :) 

I am far from climbing. I just wanted to add very base of Rope variation of "body weight rows" and maybe some rope pull up/ holds for grip & elbows in progression towards actual climbing. 

On 7/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, Nicholas Murray said:

Cotton feels wonderful, though it will wear out faster than some other fibres if you use it a lot. I have a sisal rope and while its rough, it won't strip the skin off your hands. It does drop a lot of fibres though.

Given my usage outlined above do you think that would have major impact? So is Sisal less abrasive one ones hands/ palms compared to Manila?