Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

deltoid strain

Anthony Sgard

Anthony Sgard

Hi I started the first week exercice and I got some pain in my medium deltoid which is an old injury that flared up again. I took few days of rest and I am wondering which exercices are good and bad for this type of injury. Raising arms started to be painful like during the core workouts. Strain at my deltoid was confirmed by my fysiotherapist.

I think shoulder shrug workout is fine but not the reverse planck as it puts too much pressure on this zone. What about the shoulder extension ??

I may add that I am feeling no pain during the exercice - only few hours later which means something is wrong for me.

what is your advise for recovery and improving range of motion ? 

thanks

Anthony

• Upvote 1

HI Anthony, 

Gymnastics doesn't let you escape your weaknesses! One rule of thumb is never work through pain.  If shoulder extension work is bringing pain Id recommend stretching the chest in-between each move. Go slow with your training. After training a hot bath is a great idea to get your muscles to relax. Id also recommend working through the stretch courses to help improve mobility. 

Please post videos on the Forum so that we can assist you better. 

Anthony Sgard

Hi Tanya, thansk for your insights. I am not going to go through a work out with pain. I know the price that needs to be paid afterwards.  

do you mean that my pecs are too short and needs to stretched further? 

What do you mean by stretching courses ? is it home workout ? I am a bit lost to be frank (-;

thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Anthony,

With pain like you're experiencing, I always recommend a diagnosis and assitance from a physio or other medical professional. The stretch courses Tanya was referring to are the Front Split, Middle Split, and Throacic Bridge courses. These courses are awesome for beginner and intermediate GST students. 

Anthony Sgard

Hi Everett,

I checked the Front Split and Middle Split courses I have in my portfolio. They are mainly about stretching legs/ hips not the shoulders. Thoracic Bridges is about shoulder extension and some rocking movement with straight arms. 

Of course I am followed by a fysio that helps me to diagnose my problem and we developed a rehab program. In the mean time I think  working on my shoulder ROM is key for recovery and for further progress. Given my symptoms; which exercices would you keep in my GST routine ? Should I do a trial and error ? the insidious thing is that i do not feel pain during the exercices but few hours or day after. 

thanks

A true deltoid strain is easy to treat and fix. Alot of massage by a therapist and self massage works wonders. 

• Upvote 1