Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dizzy and nautious when going upside down

Candy Tuohimaa

Candy Tuohimaa

Help! Whenever I do head stands or handstands now I get super dizzy and sick - I feel sick for the rest of the day. Even down dog in yoga. I am breathing and everything while I am upside down, I just don't know why I get so horribly nautious! Any advice other than "practice more"? Thanks :-)

Hi Candy, 

Even though it is common to get dizzy if you change positions to quickly. Some cases can actually be a sign of dehydration, stress or even if you skipped meals and usually don't. The ears also play a big part in balance, if you have an ear infection or maybe went swimming and have water in your ear this can also be a cause. 

For now my recommendation is to go lighter in reps and make sure you enter and exit out of the exercise slowly. If the dizziness continues over time you may want to see your doctor.  

• Upvote 4

Coach Sommer

Hi Candy,

Best recommendation for addressing this dizziness is to greatly reduce your current exposure to inversion.  Keep reducing duration until you reach the point where you are no longer dizzy; and then reduce it a bit more.

Once you have established this base point, then very slowly and patiently allow your body sufficient time to adapt to the new schedule.  Once you are comfortable, then you may increase your duration by a small amount and begin the adaptation process again at the new level.

If properly used, this approach normally sees good results in 2-3 months.  Note however that pushing your inversion training too hard and attempting to ride the edge of dizziness will stall or negate progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 8

Candy Tuohimaa

Thanks Coach Sommer and thanks Tanya. Your advice makes sense.  I will slow down on the inversion.  I think when I begin to try to adapt, I will try progressing on the angle little by little. Handstands are okay if I'm looking at my hands, but head stands are the worst when the top of my head is completely vertical. Just curious - what do you think about trying Dramamine before inversion work?

• 2 weeks later...
Coach Sommer

Hi Candy,

No dramamine.  Don't mask the symptoms; strengthen the body and allow it suffient time to adapt so that there are no symptoms.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2