Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progress: Year 1 of Front Split Stretch series

Ryan Bailey

I have a hard time keeping my heels together as well.

I used a stretch strap wrapped around my ankles to hold my feet together.  It works for me.  Otherwise my heels just fall to the outside and moves the focus of the stretch.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Del Balso

Ryan, Thank you for posting! 

I haven't started stretch yet but after seeing your pics, and hearing where you started, I am getting it today! Most of my mobility challenges are related to posterior chain tightness, so I will start with the front split series. 

I had been working inconsistently in Foundation 1 since hearing about GST in Tim Ferris' podcast. Since the latest system release, I have been able to squeeze in at least one workout a week, and often 3-4 sessions.

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI
On 04/08/2016 at 10:12 PM, Ryan Bailey said:

ForheadToe.jpg

congratulations for your achievement so fac

i want to ask if this is possible at every height or just some people can achieve it due to legs length ?

Hi @Anthony Del Balso, no problem; good luck on the stretch progress. I would like to hear how your first session goes. It's not easy :icon_twisted:.

@Oussama KHELLADI, thanks. As far as your question... who knows, give it a shot and let us know how it goes. The position you are referring to is not something I typically practiced, by-the-way. If you notice, I simply removed the elevated techniques Coach uses in the stretch series to view the current progress.

On a side note, I recently listened to the 2nd Tim Ferris podcast with @Coach Sommer . Tim asked something about why Coach utilizes elevated blocks. It reminded me that what I appreciate about this specific stretch series is the progressive work on the calves; leading to achilles mobility. I think this picture might demonstrate one of the benefits. I believe the progression of the beginning calf work, plus the elevation with the use of blocks, allows for elongation of the proximal attachments of the Calf tendons up and under the knee. This allows for the elevated heel above the ground you see in the photo above, once the block is removed...

The toe picture is simply because I had a scratch to itch on my forehead ;)

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Ryan Bailey said:

That's how I scratch my forehead all the time  :-D  Ha ha, I wish… what a great progress, Ryan!!!! 

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI
On 11/20/2016 at 5:18 AM, Ryan Bailey said:

Hi @Anthony Del Balso, no problem; good luck on the stretch progress. I would like to hear how your first session goes. It's not easy :icon_twisted:.

@Oussama KHELLADI, thanks. As far as your question... who knows, give it a shot and let us know how it goes. The position you are referring to is not something I typically practiced, by-the-way. If you notice, I simply removed the elevated techniques Coach uses in the stretch series to view the current progress.

On a side note, I recently listened to the 2nd Tim Ferris podcast with @Coach Sommer . Tim asked something about why Coach utilizes elevated blocks. It reminded me that what I appreciate about this specific stretch series is the progressive work on the calves; leading to achilles mobility. I think this picture might demonstrate one of the benefits. I believe the progression of the beginning calf work, plus the elevation with the use of blocks, allows for elongation of the proximal attachments of the Calf tendons up and under the knee. This allows for the elevated heel above the ground you see in the photo above, once the block is removed...

you know i didnt recognise you in the picture until u said i had to scratch hahahahahahaha thank you ryan i will give it a try

• Upvote 1

Anthony Del Balso

haha, it wasn't so terrible, but some of those positions are tough. 

That was Saturday, and my calves are so sore right now, especially up in the back of my knee. I am going to scale those calf raises back even more next time. Wish Coach told us there were 3 sets from the get go.

I also had trouble with the stretch where you put your leg into a hurdler's position. Both sides, as soon as I move my leg to the side and back, I have a cramp in the crook of my hip. Not sure I can do much about that, but just keep my leg forward, and over time try moving it back.

My knees pop a lot in the pike/squat sequence but there was no pain.

I am in the middle of a remodel of my house, so I didn't have a wall I could lean against. By the time the wall stretches came I was ready to scale it back anyway and FF to the final 2m standing pike hold. Next time I'll prepare a spot where i have wall access.  

• Upvote 1