Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progress: Year 1 of Front Split Stretch series

Ryan Bailey

Ryan Bailey

Hello,

Thought I'd share a little mobility progress.  I've participated in Coach's Front Split Stretch series for ~ 1 year now. The pictures are nothing special regarding GymnasticBodies standards, but I have surpassed well beyond any original flexibility goals I had for myself. I still have lots of work to do, but am more than happy already in how I feel. 

20160804_140518.jpg

Pike.jpg

ForheadToe.jpg

FS.jpg

Just tried that last move for the first time outside of vertical shin stretch... Something to work towards.

Ryan

• Upvote 36

Alessandro Mainente

Very good, I'm jealous about your achilles mobility.

• Upvote 5

Eva Pelegrin

Look at that Pike and Head to Toe. Splits are next!!
Congrats Ryan. Very happy for you (applause). 

• Upvote 1

Sean Murphey

wow...have you always had good pike mobility?

:^ l

was holding out for rings...but I suppose another stretch series is in order

• Upvote 2

Ryan Bailey
11 hours ago, Sean Murphey said:

wow...have you always had good pike mobility?

Thanks Sean. No, Just average dude mobility. Tight hammies playing collegiate soccer and could probably warm up to finger tips or maybe palms to ground if I tried hard rounding back.

Thanks everyone for all the cool comments. All your skills are very inspiring!

• Upvote 1

Mike Lounsbury

very impressive Ryan, What else have you been doing the last year to make this progress? I've seen your posts in F1 so I know your doing that, but just curious what your weekly workout would look like? Are you doing all 3 stretches or just the front split?

• Upvote 1

Kevin Easton

Any before pictures?

I wish I took some before pictures the day I started SS and FS series.  I am still pretty tight, but I would have been awesome to look back and see how BAD it was and how far I've come.

• Upvote 4

Ryan Bailey
13 hours ago, Mike Lounsbury said:

very impressive Ryan, What else have you been doing the last year to make this progress? I've seen your posts in F1 so I know your doing that, but just curious what your weekly workout would look like? Are you doing all 3 stretches or just the front split?

All 3 stretch courses and settled into a groove with Foundation: 3 or 4 day split. I am pretty much following the course material and what other coaches have recommended for weekly schedules.

12 hours ago, Kevin Easton said:

Any before pictures?

No. Didn't really think about pics when starting out. But what I appreciate more than comparison pics is the improved endurance in making it through a stretch course as time goes on. I'll never forget that first front split stretch session;  could barely walk with numbed legs for a few minutes as well as calves on fire. 

Again, humbling hearing the feedback from everyone and from those I look up to on here.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan I hope you heard Coach Sommer mention you on the Tim Ferris show

• Upvote 2

Awesome.  I just started Front Split this morning.  This makes me excited.

Edited by James Orr
  • Upvote 1

Stephen Thayer

You're a stud. I started the stretch series this week. I can't even sit up straight with my feet out in front of me. You're an inspiration.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
Colin McGuire

HI All,

I'm 3 months in to the the 3 stretch series and in the front split stretches I have trouble keeping my heels and ankles together when I put the full weight of my body down into the elevated, squatted and curled seyza (sp?). Should I only sit back with enough weight to allow my heels and ankles to stay together? I can't really get a good look at the athletes' heels in the videos to see what they look like. Please anyone let me know your thoughts. By the way, awesome progress OP! I hope to be where you are at the end of the year!!!

• Upvote 2

Pauline Taube

Only sit back enough so that your heels and ankles are still together. As you progress you'll be able to put on more weight without letting the heels apart :) 

• Upvote 1