Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post Shoulder reconstruction training.

Michael Acreman

Michael Acreman

Hi all,

I have recently had a shoulder reconstruction (posterior labral tear and biceps tear) and i'm hoping that there is some exercises or programming to follow for injured or should i say recovering athletes. 

I am very limited in movement with my right shoulder but am still keen to try and learn more and progress. 

I train most days now but only thing that are single arm or legs. Thing like single arm press/snatches/kb swing and do alot of stationary bike and airsquats. Problem is i don't really know any SINGLE arm gymnastic style movements so hoping you can all help. :)

Thanks alot in advance i appreciate it. 

Ace

Alessandro Mainente

Did you follow a physioterapist protocol for rehabilitation after the surgery?

• Upvote 1

Yep, what Alessandro asks would be helpful as well as how long post op are you?

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

I had an anterior labral tear (Bankart lesion).

Bad news is that it takes a long time to recover - Good news is that I have recovered almost completely - Painless, stronger and with better mobilty, except for a slight restriction on external rotation.

Initial stiffness / regaining basic mobility: ~1 year

Removing pain, droning pain, regaining basic strength ~2-3 years

Estimates, but they may be helpful...

• Upvote 1

Mark Collins

I always use a combination of specific rehab exercises for the shoulder and then progress my patients into Foundation exercises. What are your current rehab exercises?

Michael Acreman

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. 

I am 6 weeks post op. Still in mild pain and very limited (ie, can't reach the cars steering wheel)

I am following my physios rehab plan. As you can imagine it is very limited now. Doing assited movement (using my other arm) like raises but not over 30%. Some very light front lying straight arm raises. Sliding hand up wall slowly (not getting far. Things like that. 

Now i may have worded my question wrong or misdirected you but what i was meaning was - Is there training i can do for the GOOD arm whilst the other one is out of action? 

Hope this makes sense and once again thanks a bunch. 

Ace 

Mark Collins

At 6 weeks you need to focus on rehab. Usually at 12 weeks you can build into resistance training, which could be Foundation exercises. Discuss with your physio what is best to work on with the other arm as they will know your body better than anyone.

• Upvote 3