This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introducing GB Pro+ (Coming Very Soon)

Started by Cory Fair, December 30, 2015 · 102 Replies · 5,954 Views

MattiasF

I did not regress to an earlier progression for any PE, and for each PE I started on a week where I could comfortably perform the required reps and sets.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I thought about regressing. So, what I did was... load my workout schedule (either in F7 of Fa/Fb formats) with the lower progressions and watched Orench's video/mobility. I then rewatched the video while performing the earlier elements at the same time. Given that I had "mastered" the earlier elements and I have kept them in my warmup ever since it wasn't really difficult to match Orench's pace while doing elements I had mastered. I did this for a couple sets as an 'extended warm up' (two to three sets of mastery reps and sets) and then went on to my normal workout. I now try to make sure that when warming up for Foundation I'm moving at the same speed as I would imagine would be the case for the follow-along videos (which is to say faster than I've been doing previously with fewer rests or moments to catch my breath).

 

If you've mastered previous elements, matching Orench and the follow-along videos shouldn't be difficult. You might huff and puff a little bit but it shouldn't be taxing (I'm thinking here in terms of maybe SL/PE1 or SLS/PE1 because they're pretty high volume in relative terms). This was my case but I kept up the whole time and my form didn't lag in any moment. I'm working on the same progressions as I was before, just trying to do them a bit quicker now (SL/PE2, MN/PE2, and SLS/PE3 are significantly harder when done this way, though the mobilities function completely different ly when you do them a little more quickly and don't take any extra rest). 

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)
Coach Sommer said:

Forgive me for being direct, but this is a somewhat foolish solution.  If you cannot complete a single rep, why would you move forward to the next week of even more required reps?

 

The solution here would be to directly address the issue; which is a substantial lack of mobility.  To that end you have several choices of implementation:

 

1) begin integrating more advanced MN iMs into your training

 

2) begin using the GB Middle Split series once per week.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

In what way do we integrate more advanced MN iM's? Do them instead of the prescribed iM for MN/PE2? Or in addition?

 

I am in the same boat as Giovanni for MN/PE2. I can't do a single rep with full ROM. I can do 4x9r with the form that my mobility allows, but I can't do one correct rep as demonstrated in the course video. Any instruction here is most appreciated.

 

(I've been doing all 3 stretch courses religiously since they came out last year)

 

Cam

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would imagine that while Jefferson Curls don't hurt any advanced MN ims would come in addition to the foundation work you have. I've been included straddle leg lifts (they were included in the GB handstand challenge -- seated in a straddle you raise your flexed legs off the ground by contracting your hips). Those are just my two cents. 

Mike_B

This is helpful, because I'm very much in the same boat here with MN/PE2 and SLS/PE1. If I have to get exactly the angle of leg raise in the MN/PE2 video, I'll need to do some serious work to develop that ROM

Coach, could you recommend which of the more advanced iMs might be best for increasing the leg ROM needed for mastery? Also, can we take this as a general principle, i.e. If we get really stuck on something like this, we might look to add iMs further along the line to the workout, but not move on in strength before mastery of both elements in an exercise?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
Mike_B said:

This is helpful, because I'm very much in the same boat here with MN/PE2 and SLS/PE1. If I have to get exactly the angle of leg raise in the MN/PE2 video, I'll need to do some serious work to develop that ROM

Coach, could you recommend which of the more advanced iMs might be best for increasing the leg ROM needed for mastery? Also, can we take this as a general principle, i.e. If we get really stuck on something like this, we might look to add iMs further along the line to the workout, but not move on in strength before mastery of both elements in an exercise?

Mn/SE10>im is great, and if able/strong enough then maybe SE11>im. I incorporate them and they've helped a lot (though watch out for cramp city, these guys are tough and with good reason -- my hips are weak so I do them but because my hips are weak my hips cramp). They mimic the end-range of MN/PE2 and also force a muscle contraction within that position, therein making MN/PE2 overall easier while also making you stronger in that harder position (a win-win). This is just my two cents, maybe Coach will offer up something else. 

 

Anecdotally I've used HBP/PE11>im and PE15>im to help shore issues in my thoracic mobility (while not a best case scenario, it has helped greatly and is an example of using later elements to help with current issues). I realize I'm not an authority, but I also realize that everyone is different and will have different strengths and weaknesses. On an objective level, one would go from a-->b-->c in their training and GB seems to be setup with that in mind. The reality, though, is that a lot of people will have to sort of plug and play with adding in different elements in order to find what best helps to address their specific issues so that they can readily achieve mastery on certain elements. Depending on what issues you're having it's a lot of trial and error.

 

SLS/PE1, for instance, needs a certain amount of ankle flexibility to get into and out of the bottom position (so the FSs comes to mind). So, if I were you on off days or days when not doing SLS/PE1 I would throw in a couple sets ankle/calf stretches from that series to limber up but to also give due attention to FSs on another day. SLS/PE4 and SLS/SE1 will clear up any ankle flexibility issues later on, but in the meantime I would focus on FSs if I were you (because those are strength elements and if you haven't mastered the strength of PE1 I would say you're likely not ready to try a harder progression). 

 

Hope some of these observations are helpful.

Mike_B

Thanks Daniel, very interesting, I'll look into this :)

Nicholas Murray
On 1/2/2016 at 1:33 PM, Coach Sommer said:

GB Pro+'s sole purpose is to ensure that everyone is mastering F1 correctly; in terms of execution, tempo and level of effort.
 

So does that mean that the videos in F1/F2/F3/F4 are incorrect in terms of tempo?

Coach Sommer
37 minutes ago, Nicholas Murray said:

So does that mean that the videos in F1/F2/F3/F4 are incorrect in terms of tempo?

It means that the videos in Foundation are performed slowly so that students can clearly see proper technical execution.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Srini Duggirala
16 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:

So does that mean that the videos in F1/F2/F3/F4 are incorrect in terms of tempo?

I found that the tempo is much faster in the GB Pro+ than the F1 videos. As I said earlier and coach said above, F1 tempo is purposefully slower to show the proper technique. I did not know this prior to subscribing to GB Pro+ and this is the biggest benefit for me with GB Pro+ as it saves me some time as well as helps me progress faster. I was overthinking too much prior to GB Pro+.

Try it out yourself.

 

T-nat

Nicholas Cooper

How do we log in GBPro + if we have an injury? I can do some of the exercises but not all.

Giovanni Garcea
1 hour ago, Nicholas Cooper said:

How do we log in GBPro + if we have an injury? I can do some of the exercises but not all.

I believe by logging 0 reps in all sets, the exercise will get logged as not attempted. You can also add a note to yourself in the bottom box.

Sean Wood

I believe that is correct if not attempting at all. In the case you are trying but not near form then I think Cory said put a one. I have been doing it this way and adding notes. Keep in mind that if failing often the coaches will be reviewing. Having notes I think helps make recommendations. Hope that's helpful. 

Cory Fair

As Sean said, 1 rep and put a note on it. The far more important priority should be resolving the injury.

Espen Lofthus

Is there a way to watch follow along videos for earlier PE's? Or is "start workout" the only way to watch the follow along video? I would like to compare theese with PE's that has been mastered.

Best

Espen

Matic Balantic

I don't think there is another way. I'm sure there is no such feature on the Dashboard or Workout Scheduler. The easiest way would be for you to add another workout day and add exercises you are interested in on the scheduler and delete them afterwards.

Geoffrey Wielingen

It seems as if GB Pro+ is now bundled with Foundation One. Can GB Pro+ also be purchased separately if Foundation was already purchased?

Cory Fair

Yes. There's a lifetime purchase option here. Students already enrolled in the Pro+ subscription automatically convert to lifetime access after the sixth payment. 

Dorian Brown

Oh that's awesome. Do we still get access to the online videos after the lifetime purchase /switch over? 

Cory Fair
1 hour ago, Dorian Brown said:

Oh that's awesome. Do we still get access to the online videos after the lifetime purchase /switch over? 

Yes

Philip Papandrea

Now that the technique videos are released what would we be getting if we purchased the gb pro lifetime access package? Is it basically just the smart programming and the ability to follow along in real time? 

Andrew Long

is the lifetime purchase a single payment that gives access to gbpro+ until we have finished all the course material?

Jeremy Aldridge

What if my wife wants to begin at a later date? How does the programming work for 2 in the same house hold? Is that even possible or does the program have to be purchased twice?

Cory Fair
On May 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Andrew Long said:

is the lifetime purchase a single payment that gives access to gbpro+ until we have finished all the course material?

Yes, it will continue to give you access even after you finish F1 so you can always revisit anything

Cory Fair
1 hour ago, Jeremy Aldridge said:

What if my wife wants to begin at a later date? How does the programming work for 2 in the same house hold? Is that even possible or does the program have to be purchased twice?

Perfectly fine to use the same course as a couple, but we don't (yet) support the ability to handle a second workout profile.