This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introducing GB Pro+ (Coming Very Soon)

Started by Cory Fair, December 30, 2015 · 102 Replies · 5,954 Views

Bro'
sean said:

Not sure this can be discussed here (and this is going to sound like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth but I'm really not, just curious about the product ) but wondering what is it about this extra program that requires a monthly fee and not a flat fee? Is someone actually looking over my workout log results and adjusting it? Not sure that I understand what it means when it says in Cory's description as long as you enter the information "you" will do the rest to compile another workout appropriate to where I'm at in my training?

This seems to answer the need I was asking for with the follow along vids like the stretch videos. And that wasn't too long ago....sneaky sneaky...just when I thought you guys weren't paying attention. So this GBPro+ is for PE 1-3 only? After which I'm assuming that Coach feels you should have a solid basis to not need the extra hand holding for PE4-7? Thus in theory this monthly fee shouldn't go on for very long am I correct? Assuming of course each persons progress will differ based on thier strength, weaknesses and consistency in training?

Thanks.....

 

What Cory said, also bear in mind you get access to all the online classes too. I suspect if you get stuck for a long enough time on certain elements, online classes will come into the programming to help you get out of the plateau. I may be wrong, though.

Either way, the classes are very interesting, I know I'll be using some of the handstand classes even if progress is going well at the moment.

vinca_minor

I noticed the low-elbow hinge rows on the trailer. I thought it might be an easier progression or something.

gohei_

What happens if you do not check the mobility box at the bottom of each exercise page? Do you still progress in the weeks but never go beyond mastery for that element?

gettingstarted
Bro said:

What Cory said, also bear in mind you get access to all the online classes too. I suspect if you get stuck for a long enough time on certain elements, online classes will come into the programming to help you get out of the plateau. I may be wrong, though.

Either way, the classes are very interesting, I know I'll be using some of the handstand classes even if progress is going well at the moment.

To piggy-back on Bro's comments about the online classes, for those of you who are looking for a great example of a warm-up (until Foundation-specific warm ups [maybe] become available) I highly recommend watching the online class for Advanced Handstand - currently the second video, the one lead by Orench. It has an excellent 20 minute warmup sequence. It's very well-rounded and will give you an excellent guide for how to structure a warmup. I've been using it as my warmup because I just started F1 and don't have a lot of mastered movements to build into a warmup yet.
sean

Thanks Cory and other members for responding. Cory for sure as I bet your up to your ears in it trying to make sure all runs smoothly.

I just signed up for the Pro+ so I'm feeling my way around it. So far not regretting it. Looking forward to seeing how the "smart" part helps my training. Thanks for the tip on the warm up vid, I'll be checking that out.

Just to comment on function for Cory, unless this is user error, I find that the text box to comment on your workout for the day seems to cut off whats written at some point. You don't know its going to do that until after you saved it. For example I made a few short comments that the text box didn't indicate was an issue for character length. When I go back to review my comments it is cut off. Or maybe the "smart" program didn't think my comments were very much and cut off the excess ;D

Lastly someone asked about suggestions to integrate online classes with foundations I think as well. When your logged into your online classes, go to menu online classes at the top and you will see a "getting started" option in the drop down. In that link it gives some sample ideas for integrating the classes with foundation elements. I believe the thing to note is that it only applies to the first three PEs, which may or may not be relevant depending on where your at in your training.

Cole Dano

Cory is logging glitches like the text cutting in the notes, so don't be afraid to send him a note using the Help button located at the top right hand of the forum's main menu.

 

He's got his hands full so he can't be expected to be following the forums as well. But he does see any messages sent to Help.

sean

Good suggestion Cole, I'm on it thx

sean

I performed a workout for the first time using the new follow along vids and I'm very pleased. In fact I believe this may turn out to be a great resource for me and a game changer in terms of my confidence in performing GST.  I think the pace in the vids is going to force me to reevaluate what i thought I achieved as mastery on some of my previous PEs though. I've already gone back a few weeks  as a result of the videos on a few of them.  I'm good with this as its confidence building to have a reference for where I should be at so I can more realistically (more honestly maybe) adjust my PEs to the weeks they should be at and deal with any conditioning short falls. I also like seeing it done by two different people so that I don't have to spend so much energy questioning whether I'm on the right track on how I'm performing them. The follow along vids are motivating. 

 

Regarding the mobility button. Do you check mark this box only when you have performed it correctly for the required reps or time? Or does just attempting the mobility warrant a check mark, even if not able to perform it perfectly yet?  

 

The workout log and summary is a nice touch. I've never tracked my progress with this kind of detail and I find it rewarding to look back at my notes and over all progress. I find the colour coding is great for helping to quickly decipher the workout log.  Nice to see what I'm good at so that the stuff I'm not seem less harsh  ;)  Any technical issues I've had were dealt with very quickly. Surprisingly quick actually, than I would have expected by Cory given how busy he must be. Great work to all involved, I can see lots of potential with this and look forward to add ons.  ....

 

thanks.

Cole Dano

tbh I'm not 100% sure what happens if you don't check the mobility button. I'm still learning the system myself. I've always just done my logs on paper, but am testing this so I can answer your questions.

 

GB doesn't have an official stance on this from what Cory told me. 

 

I don't see any reason not move forward with a PE up to mastery, so I'd most likely click the iM button until getting to that last cycle.

sean

I went back to check my log and it says I failed the PE I didn't check mark off the mobility for because I felt I wasn't performing it perfectly yet. I was also short a rep on a set. Not sure if that contributed to the fail.

So I wonder if the smart system will take that fail from not marking the mobility and hold me back?or start assuming I can't do the PE and adjust? Or will it just fail and keep moving forward on rep schedule till I mark It done?

I understand you may not have an answer for this though. If not I'll keep on it and report my findings later. Would this be a "help" question for Cory ? Thanks

Cory Fair
sean said:

I went back to check my log and it says I failed the PE I didn't check mark off the mobility for because I felt I wasn't performing it perfectly yet. I was also short a rep on a set. Not sure if that contributed to the fail.

So I wonder if the smart system will take that fail from not marking the mobility and hold me back?or start assuming I can't do the PE and adjust? Or will it just fail and keep moving forward on rep schedule till I mark It done?

I understand you may not have an answer for this though. If not I'll keep on it and report my findings later. Would this be a "help" question for Cory ? Thanks

 

If you didn't pass the mobility, then of course you failed that element. Even 100% on the strength without mobility marked is still not a pass. That's the same as telling us you 'almost' did a rep. :) After all the entire point of pairing strength and mobility is so you won't further increase that gap. The programming will start watching your performance to see whether the factor is time or something else contributing to the issue.

 

Up to this points students have been far too liberal on what they consider 'passing' on mobility. If you fail you will not pass go and collect $200 with smart programming. It's a necessary reality check but one that will benefit you athletically. 

KSTL

.

sean
Cory Fair said:

If you didn't pass the mobility, then of course you failed that element. Even 100% on the strength without mobility marked is still not a pass. That's the same as telling us you 'almost' did a rep. :) After all the entire point of pairing strength and mobility is so you won't further increase that gap. The programming will start watching your performance to see whether the factor is time or something else contributing to the issue.

 

Up to this points students have been far too liberal on what they consider 'passing' on mobility. If you fail you will not pass go and collect $200 with smart programming. It's a necessary reality check but one that will benefit you athletically. 

Too funny on the monopoly reference :D. I absolutely agree with your comments, and do think the reality check is a necessary beastie, for my purposes as least. Any mobility I felt I wasn't doing 100% I have not been marking as done since I started.  This has helped make it clearer for me. Thanks for checking this out and responding.

 

KSTL- good question, hopefully you'll get a response to that as well. Again I have been recording attempts but not counting obvious incomplete reps that I feel don't meet the standard outlined in Foundations or direction given by GB coaches. 

Cory Fair
KSTL said:

How should we handle the case where we cannot get full ROM on the strength element? (i.e., MN/PE2) If I put a 0 for the number of reps, it says I didn't attempt the element. I put 1 for each set so the system knew I attempted it but am not ready to move on.

 

In this case, putting 1 would be perfectly fine. 

IcedDante

This looks promising and I look forward to giving it a shot. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Are we supposed to use the videos as a guide? I have only checked the videos as per before to understand the element. I thought their inclusion in GB Pro was to a similar effect. Is that not so?

Cole Dano

For the earlier elements you can use the videos as a follow along. Otherwise they are just there for your convenience if you need to refer to them for any reason.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ahh okay, so I wasn't far off in my assumptions. Thanks.

Coach Sommer
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Are we supposed to use the videos as a guide? I have only checked the videos as per before to understand the element. I thought their inclusion in GB Pro was to a similar effect. Is that not so?

 

Incorrect.

 

GB Pro+ is designed as a complete follow along workout for that day; not simply as a video reference.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, in essence I should be using GB Pro from start to finish with my workouts (meaning the rep guides, video aids, etc.)? I understand that better now and will do so. Gonna have to open up a bit more data on my cell phone for workouts at the gym, but so be it haha.

Coach Sommer
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

So, in essence I should be using GB Pro from start to finish with my workouts (meaning the rep guides, video aids, etc.)? I understand that better now and will do so. Gonna have to open up a bit more data on my cell phone for workouts at the gym, but so be it haha.

 

What has become increasingly apparent, especially with the new feedback from GB Pro+ users, is that very few people have been actually following Foundation One as designed.  

 

People are not completing their workouts.  They are not mastering their assigned mobility.  And they are still progressing onward to the next PE before they are ready; bumping merrily along thru the program and wondering why the 'programming' just doesn't seem to work for them. 

 

GB Pro+'s sole purpose is to ensure that everyone is mastering F1 correctly; in terms of execution, tempo and level of effort.

 

My hope is that by F2 the video follow alongs will no longer be necessary, but based on current progress we will need to wait and see.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

brown.3794

After using GB pro I think the biggest benefit has been the tempo and intensity. I've only used it for about 2 weeks and I feel way stronger and more sure about a number of exercises. I also found that I wasn't going from PE to IM fast enough. Having the video keeps me honest and has already helped me bust some barriers. Having the multiple angles is also a great help and was one of the things that I felt was missing from foundation.

Jason Dupree

Is there anything like mastery tests in the works? Something like, every time you start a new element, you could have an option to test it to see what block to start in, instead of always starting on block 1. There are a few times where I've needed only 1 block to master an element, or mastered right away. I know I can adjust that manually, but it would be helpful :) ooh or even integrate form checks so that you can't move on till a coach approves form. I'm writing a letter to Santa

Coach Sommer

An updated version of mastery testing is forthcoming, however you will no longer bump directly to week 11.

This is primarily due to the fact that most people are completely out to lunch when it comes to evaluating their personal proficiency and are not nearly as advanced as they think that they are.

Start with block 1. If that feels about right, stay with the programming. Remember that both the PE and the iM must be perfected to move on.

If too easy, you may bump up to block 5. Again if it feels right, stay with the programming.

If too easy, you may bump up to block 9. Again if it feels about right, stay with the programming.

If too easy, you may bump up to block 11 and attempt the mastery testing.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, I'll be damned. The Pro+ follow-along video had me finishing my workout in 15 minutes less time than normally. That answers that, my ass was working way too slowly (and that's likely why I've spent as much time as I have on the elements that continued to elude me). Not only that but I also accomplished all the repetitions for all my sets, which had yet to happen on my upper body exercises (namely FL/PE2 and sPL/PE1). Though, the form was lacking on the last sets of HBP/PE2, which I can shore that up in following weeks, the increased quality of the workout is undeniable.

 

I think it's fair to say that Pro+ is the second best tool, next to attending an actual seminar in regards to intra-workout motivation and form points, as it works similarly to the same effect as the follow-along stretch series. So thankful that this will likely get me through and see me progress. Of course, it took a few weeks to figure out the whole follow-along scheme as my January was a mess, but damn am I thankful I subscribed. I highly recommend any and every newbie pay for Pro+ if for no other reason than to get the gist of the pace of GB workouts and the necessary form and tempo of the beginning elements. Of course, a seminar would be first-rate but this option is a bit more affordable. Looking forward to the gains in strength and mobility.