Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Split rolls/pulses?

Rajesh Bhat

Hi! My son has decent splits and pancake, but he was wondering how to develop skills like the pulses in front splits (going from resting in front splits to standing in front splits and back down), straddle split roll to standing split, and more. What progressions are there for these? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

David Birchall

Can't really think of any progressions for floor straddle split to standing.  There's an interesting progression for GHR I've seen though that utilises a broomstick:

Hold one end of the broom stick and use it to help you up.  It provides minimal assistance as it is unstable due to the broomstick being long and the acute angle where it is contacting the floor.

EDIT: oh yeah forgot why I really like this progression:

- you can start by holding the stick lower down so that it makes a 90 degree angle with the floor.  This provides the greatest assistance for an NLC as it almost turns the exercise into a push up on the knees.  Over time, hold the stick higher and higher up and point it directly away from you until the angle created with the floor is so near to parallel that when you push down on the stick, it provides next to no assistance.

The same method could perhaps be used for the straddle stand.  Other than that there is always momentum:  swing your chest and arms forwards, up and hands out to the sides to get you up and try to lower down slowly.

Hope that helps :)

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

The progressions are too slowly add weight to build up strength through the entire range of motion.  Take a look at an example by a talented training partner of mine, Michele Medina:

https://www.instagram.com/p/9ZoOr2oykN

Note that in the front split progression you must keep your hips square and ideally shoulders over hips so just start stacking up blocks and slide to the front split and back slowly placing as little weight as possible in your hands.  Now also remember your static holds.

Pulses I just do and could always do them thanks to basic GST for legs, and not much of it but keep the back leg straight, lots of people don't get the benefit they could out of it.  I haven't posted split pulses in awhile but this isn't an explosive strength element, just a press up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/wpfaXAoylS

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
David Birchall

I'm finding these are awesome holding a weight at the minute.  I'm gonna try using a bar tonight to combine this exercise with a dislocate: 2 birds with one stone