Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training for Pike stretch

Rebelos

I am currently stretching to achieve a full Pike. The routine consists of 3-4 sets of 20 sec stretch hold, everyday.

Is it too much or too little volume ?

Hi Rebelos,

Looks like you are off to a good start.  I use a similar routine for some of my patients in physical therapy, such as 3 sets of 30s holds. However, this lower volume and stretch duration is mainly just an introduction. 

I would seriously look at this program at the link below for someone healthy enough to actually want to make progress towards a pike:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

This is the front split series and it is done only once per week.

This program, in a very short time, aloud me to go from standing and touching the floor with my fingers cold, to now placing my hands flat behind the sides of my feet; without warming up!

Best of Luck,

Ryan

Hi Rebelos,

Looks like you are off to a good start.  I use a similar routine for some of my patients in physical therapy, such as 3 sets of 30s holds. However, this lower volume and stretch duration is mainly just an introduction. 

I would seriously look at this program at the link below for someone healthy enough to actually want to make progress towards a pike:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

This is the front split series and it is done only once per week.

This program, in a very short time, aloud me to go from standing and touching the floor with my fingers cold, to now placing my hands flat behind the sides of my feet; without warming up!

Best of Luck,

Ryan

Thanks, of course I would definatelly try it if you would buy it for me haha! :D

I know about the courses, I wouldn't post if I knew them wouldn't I ? I just asked for a different aproach, or is it imposible to achieve full pike without the specific work in the courses?

• Upvote 1

I would definitely buy this for you;  however, my wife barely let me buy this for me :lol:

She thinks because I am a physical therapist I can set up my own programming... 

I figure sometimes you just need to follow a proven Coach.

Ryan

I am currently stretching to achieve a full Pike. The routine consists of 3-4 sets of 20 sec stretch hold, everyday.

Is it too much or too little volume ?

Is it improving?

Farid Mirkhani

Perhaps it is different for different people, but what worked for me was doing a stretch hold of 2 minutes and doing different stretches for as many times a week as I was capable of. In the beginning, only 1 per 7-10 days was a lot. Soon enough I started to do 2 times per week (7 days) with small and relaxing stretching some other days as part as my warm up.

Is it improving?

1st It's been 3 weeks that i am doing this routine so it's not enough time to judge, that's why I posted this, so if there is something wrong I can correct it, I don't like to lose my time.

2st I really can't mesure the improvment, I mean do I count it as seconds or how many cm I can go further ?

Laine Rinehart

Can't tell if there's anything wrong with your form just from the current information. In addition to pike it would probably be wise to work on stretching each leg individually before doing the pike stretch also you could space your feet further apart though not as wide as you would in pancake stretch in order to find more length when you first start. A regular pike stretch with good form can be hard for some people(including myself) to perform without rounding out the back too much. Post a picture of where you are now and it might be helpful

Stephen Majerle

I don't know what your current flexibity in the pike is, but I think you are going to have to do a lot more than a few 20 second holds to make significant progress.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what your current flexibity in the pike is, but I think you are going to have to do a lot more than a few 20 second holds to make significant progress.

So how much ?