Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Working legs for testosterone?

Charlie Martin

Charlie Martin

Hi there,

Just for context, I currently have a solid straddle planche hold of around 4-5 secs.

I have very rarely trained my legs as it seems counterintuitive given that it would only make my planche work harder.

However, I've been recently researching the effects of training legs and its benefits in terms of the amount of testosterone released into the body. It would appear that the pure amount of muscle in the legs/glutes can result in huge boosts in testosterone, which I figured would speed up my planche progress.

What I'm wondering is: how can I train legs without adding much leg mass?

My main fear is that my planche (despite the greater testosterone) will not improve by very much given the extra weight in my legs...

What would you guys recommend?

Léo Aïtoulha

I would recommend you to start the Foundation Series, which will allow you to learn SLS/FLS paired with hamstring mobility.

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but does FLS stands for? I know SLS stands for single leg squat but I don't remember ever seeing FLS in the foundation series, although I should point out that I just own F1 and F2. Did I miss something? :)

Chris Garay

Edoardo, FLS stands for Fundamental Leg Strength... nothing fancy.

Kuboy, I'm not sure it's that straightforward or simple. That said, you should consider training your legs just for basic human function and athletic performance anyway. If you keep the reps low, quality of movement super high, and focus on single-leg progressions, you probably won't run into any issues with excessive lower-body hypertrophy.

If, on the other hand, you want to increase your testosterone for health reasons, then I suggest that you work with a doctor or naturopath that can help guide you through blood tests, lifestyle / nutrition / supplement interventions, and re-tests. Good luck!

Best,

Chris

• Upvote 4

Toni Laukkavaara

you need huge amounts of testosterone to bring any benefits from it, hence why most test boosters are a "waste" of your money

It would appear that the pure amount of muscle in the legs/glutes can result in huge boosts in testosterone, which I figured would speed up my planche progress.

Not really. Nothing really boosts your hormone levels by a HUGE amount unless you go from Low T to above average/High T by TRT/steroids or balancing out poor sleep, diet, lack of exercise, and hormone irregularities. It's doubtful that your T levels will go from 600 to 900 by adding lower body strength work. Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Large muscle movements like squats, leg presses, deadlifts, etc., do result in higher blood levels of anabolic hormones like Testosterone, but these transient and acute increases do not lead to greater overall muscle mass.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/does-lifting-boost-testosterone

It may be helpful to keep in mind that the hormonal response to exercise is generally

correlated to the amount of metabolic stress.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142335281&p=832700821&viewfull=1#post832700821

What I'm wondering is: how can I train legs without adding much leg mass?

Plyometrics, perhaps which would typically be low volume, high intensity. That being said, having a general strength base is generally required before the use of plyometrics. Have to be able to deck squat before roll-up deck jumps, basic squat before squat jumps, releve hold before floor bounding, etc.

Even a day of plyometrics per week or a day of short sprints might increase your leg mass if all your legs are used to is walking, general stuff.

In theory, yes you could boost your hormonal lifts by barbell squats and deadlift once or twice per week. This of course, would probably add mass to not only your lower body but your back. How much is hard to say and might depend on loads used besides current mass.

Christian Sørlie

Take this as an anecdote, but Joe Kinney the first man to ever close a CoC#4, used to squat everyday before breakfast. Heavy and high reps. He used to say that's where he got hos testosterone.

Alexander Egebak

Take this as an anecdote, but Joe Kinney the first man to ever close a CoC#4, used to squat everyday before breakfast. Heavy and high reps. He used to say that's where he got hos testosterone.

That is somewhat funny. But there is no evidence to his claims.

• Upvote 1